1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

Whatever :rolleyes:

These are neither knockoff nor bootleg, you shouldn't have referred to them as either. Just because jenius does not hate everything Toynami does not mean he must be an employee. He likes the toys and he's entitled to his opinion, just as you are entitled to your opinion to dislike them.

some of you people need to lighten up. i was JOKING, hence the smilies and such. :rolleyes:

i'm pretty sure jenius knew i was joking as well as the rest of the community.

The difference is that I put more value in his opinion because he actually owns one and you don't.

really? i don't have one?

I GOT MINE BEFORE HE DID, ITS THE FIRST FREAKIN PAGE OF THIS THREAD!

the best part is, you posted on the first page that you got yours too. :lol:

i don't want to be mean to you so i'll just use these rolling eyes to express how i feel. :rolleyes:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=19842&st=0

some of you people need to lighten up. i was JOKING, hence the smilies and such. :rolleyes:

i'm pretty sure jenius knew i was joking as well as the rest of the community.

Fair enough. You were joking, but I think you are assuming I was worked up. It is often difficult to discern one's "tone" via written text.

really? i don't have one?

I GOT MINE BEFORE HE DID, ITS THE FIRST FREAKIN PAGE OF THIS THREAD!

You'll have to forgive me for not having such a great memory. I misinterpreted your quote on this page to mean you had not picked one up. I apologize. I now value your opinion equally :p Although I still disagree

it means nothing to me either way, i don't like these and have no intention of picking them up unless they got a 2 for 1 deal or better. :D

is it just me?, or does anyone else think jenius works for toynami?

if toynami is there, jenius is there.....hmmmm makes you wonder.

Yeah, I know you're joking but if I worked for Toynami I certainly wouldn't admit to it... as much as I'd like to think I'd be capable of convincing them to make better toys (but, from real-world corporate experience, I know they'd probably make the same crap and I'd collect the same paychecks). Although you know wherever there's pretty much ANY toy talk you can find me.

jenius, seriously... start making valid arguments or I'm gonna have to get back into this thread

To be fair, was I arguing? I thought I just made a glibe observation. I'm all for criticism so far as it's grounded in genuine observation.

I've been thru your website... you like every freakin toy there is

I appreciate the fact you've visited the site. It's also true, I do really look for positives. The basic idea was that I'd highlight the good of products and mention the bads and then do lots of comparisons. Thusfar, I've been so busy just getting the initial posts up there's only one comparison. That'll change eventually... probably a long eventually from now since I have almost zero time for the site. As I repost the reviews that are already up there I'm actually showing now flaws with the toys instead of just mentioning them in the review. I'm about to repost the MPC Alpha review with pictures of their crooked heads, paint flaws, close-ups of the pin that breaks free in the hand, and a broken arm. I think that will help dampen the typically sweet tone.

I'm not gonna trust anyone that tells me to buy anything that transforms.

Yikes, I better double-check my posts because the whole goal of the site was to never recommend anything but I do think maybe I've forgotten that at times. I was hoping to just give my impressions and let people then decide from them what was important on their own. The total score is useless really, it's the individual scores that should matter. You want a toy you could throw at someone? Look at the durability section. You want a toy you can pose, look at the articulation section. I would love for people who disagree with stuff to actually post that they do disagree with it, I think it'd be great to have other opinions on there. Hopefully those opinions wouldn't be just "Oh this is a cheap knock off!" but rather an explanation of why someone would feel that way.

And yes, I apologize, my last post was entirely too serious sounding. Note that I haven't purchased another 1/100 valk since the first one I grabbed. I'm pretty dimissive of this product, it's fun for $15 (if you can get it for that) but that's about it. I'm just surprised that actual dislike of it seems to exceed the general apathy I have toward it. I will probably buy more at some future date as fodder for my display cases... but that's about it.

EDIT -

All of the toys are given almost a score of 30 except the banpresto

The toys are supposed to be receiving grades. A score of 30/50 would be 60% or a D-. A score of 35 would be perfectly average. Any score above that would be above average. In that respect, I think i've basically stated that Macross/Robotech collectors have largely average toys to choose from... with exception of the 1/48s which gets B+ and maybe an A-.

Edited by jenius

The heatshield/clear canopy is removable and could be dispayed in fighter mode.

There is a indentation on the top/back of the heatshield that is flush to and under the chestplate in battroid but will be visible in fighter mode.

I have a mid transformation GERWALK with both canopy and shield.

Cool! :-) I will see if i can find a good deal on a Skull 1 sometime...

Oi, and if they are taking so damn long to release the FPs, wouldn't you think they would release the 1st Run again as well?

Seems stupid shelling out for the FPs when you can't get a Roy anymore. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Finally saw some of these in the plastic this weekend. Decided that I am going to skip them. They had a rather cheap-and-nasty look to them in the packaging. Given that the shop that I saw them in wanted £12(GBP) for them (approx US$38) for them I felt it was a bit steep for what they were. If they'd been £10 or so I might have been prepared to consider it. (The shop actually had them marked down from what they claimed was an original price of £25gbp (US$47) - depressing to work out that it would be cheaper to import them from the US myself than to buy them on import from a shop).

Karl

Finally saw some of these in the plastic this weekend. Decided that I am going to skip them. They had a rather cheap-and-nasty look to them in the packaging. Given that the shop that I saw them in wanted £12(GBP) for them (approx US$38) for them I felt it was a bit steep for what they were. If they'd been £10 or so I might have been prepared to consider it. (The shop actually had them marked down from what they claimed was an original price of £25gbp (US$47) - depressing to work out that it would be cheaper to import them from the US myself than to buy them on import from a shop).

Karl

Wow! That's quite expensive. While I disagree that they look "cheap-and-nasty", they certainly are not worth $47 US for a single valk (nor $38 for matter). I paid $50 for all three together from a seller on ebay. That averages out to around $17 per valk. That's still probably more than they're actually "worth", but it's bearable. After all, this is Macross, and all our toys are overpriced.

Well spotted Jenius - the price they wanted for them was in fact £20GBP, marked down from £25. I guess I was more tired than I thought when I did that post last night. My apologies for the confusion.

Still and all, £20 is a lot more than I would have been willing to pay for the 1/100ths.

Karl

Yeah I saw these in Nostalgia And Comics in Birmingham a fortnight ago, priced at £25- I was a little tempted, but i've got a much nicer 1/60 at home so what woul be the point?

for £10, i'd have gone for it for the desktop at work, but i'd rather save the cash and put it towards a 1/48.

Edited by RFT

• 2 weeks later...

after almost 2 months... Toynami FINALLY sent me my replacement sockets for the stand....

i can tell straight off that the material is a lot thicker and durable that the original sockets so i'm excited to get home and test em out!!!

cool flying valk poses... here i come!!!

Glad you got those sockets, they really are a lot better.

I wonder if the fastpacks will still be released. I don't have a lot of hope for this line, especially since I have yet to see them in any kind of store. It would only make sense that after letting us down with so many of their toys, Toynami finally makes a good one and then lets us down by not continuing with the line.

I wonder if the fastpacks will still be released. I don't have a lot of hope for this line, especially since I have yet to see them in any kind of store. It would only make sense that after letting us down with so many of their toys, Toynami finally makes a good one and then lets us down by not continuing with the line.

Yeah, I was hoping to see alpha's as well, and maybe a beta for this line... Damnit.

I learned from MPC's. I dumped them all off, blew the money on Yamato and Gundam stuff,, and I'm a much happier boy today because of it. I did keep my Scott Alpha, but that's because it's the only Alpha fighter I own.

http://www.toynami.com/macross.html

Toynami updated their website last month indicating the VF-1J's are coming soon. Looks like it's time for me to do some digging and see what the real story is...

Actually, slightly smaller Alpha's, maybe around 1/60 scale, with less diecast, would probably be a good idea for Toynami to consider.

how about details that make sense, it actually TFs properly, heads that aren't tilted in some gangster lean, and no boner nose.

the MPC alphas are the worst toys i own, they're borderline transformers AFAIC. maybe, one day, a real company will step to the plate and take on mospeada but as is, we don't have much choice but to settle. :mellow:

The only way to do an Alpha justice would be to make it in 1/35 scale like Gakken did. The MPC just took a small scale and refused to make any compromises... compromises that really needed to be made. Making it smaller could work but you'd have to give-up on making it poseable. I'd be okay with that, I'd buy a few, but what I want to see is for someone to take the lessons learned from the MPC and make a bigger toy, without diecast, with multiple adjustments to finally make an Alpha that really dominates. If they wanted to follow it up with a 16" tall Beta, yeah, I'd spend some money on that also.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be neat if it was in scale with all the new Macross stuff coming out? And at that smaller scale, a Beta may not be as difficult to make.

The problem with that is that the Legioss is very, very small in comparison to most Macross mecha. To make it in-scale with all the new Yamato stuff (1/60), it would be even smaller than it is now (the Alphas are nominally 1/55 according to Toynami, but some members here have calculated their actual scale to be somewhere between 1/55 and 1/48, depending on mode).

A knock-em-dead gorgeous 1/35 would be really nice, and would display nicely with the new 1/60s and 1/48s. It would still be a little bit shorter in Armo-Soldier mode than any of the Yammies though.

I'll elaborate here on a post of mine at RT.com

Here ya go, the dimensions of the toys, i think 1/35 still works for Masters, yeah, Macross toys would be friggin' massive:

Macross Saga

VF-1 = 16" long in fighter , 14.3" tall in battloid

Battlepod = 19.57" (that's big)

The Masters

Hovertank = 6.75" long in Tank, 7" tall in battloid

AGAC = 10.12" long in fighter, 10" tall in battloid

Bioroid = 7.54" tall

New Gen

Alpha = 11.53" long in fighter, 9.84" tall in battloid

Beta = 10.9" long in fighter, 15.4" tall in battloid

Royal Commander = 9.84" tall

Invid Scout = 2.8" tall

Now, if you wanted a 1/100 Alpha it would be about 3.5" tall in battloid

Back to the 1/100 VF-1...

I tried to fix the high backpack problem by shaving the center nub that the central backpack thruster nozzle butts up against in fighter mode. I also filed down the arms a bit, just to the point before the panel lines were about to disappear. I think it helps the fighter mode quite a bit.

I hate to say it, this thing has one of the better nose and canopy sculpts that I've seen, which is better than the 1/48 of 1/60 in overall proportions. Legs are still way too skinny <_<:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by ghostryder

Anyone know if Toynami is still gonna release the FAST packs for these? I haven't really seen anymore news as far as the release date on the FAST packs goes. And like some of the other people in this thread, I haven't seen the toys around where I live either.

I too hope that Toynami makes some Alphas and especially some Beta's around this size, not scale. I don't care a thing about scale as long as they are about the same size (or a little bigger in the Beta's case since it's much bigger than the Alpha) as the other valks. Shouldn't be too hard to engineer a decent looking beta at that scale. I'd even settle for a cheap little docking system with an interchangeable piece that fit between the Alpha and Beta.

Well i have a 1/100 Roy coming in a combined order package in the mail by the time i get back to Australia, so hopefully i will be happy with it.

Looking at pics they look pretty cool. :D Just want something light enough that i can whoosh around in one hand that can actually fully transform.

I love my 1/144 diecast 1S to bits! But i can't Gerwalk it! :(

The VF-1S and YF-21 1/144 Doyusha are brilliant little birds!

I was sought of happy with the YF-19, but i had to have it anyways. I rip the landing gear off all of them.

I HATE displaying valks with landing gear, any fighter be it macross or real life, landing gear is so tacky.

The 1/100 Toycrappys are just one step up for me. Lucky they ain't so crappy!

Whats everyone think of the chances of seeing a 1/100 GBP? :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Here is a picture of my 1/100s "in action." I produce a photo-comic for my local TF community and have recently introduced Macross elements... this picture is a cadre of an upcoming episode wherein a commando unit of VF fighters is sent into limbo to recover their lost comrades who were stuck there when Galvatron rekindled the Time Wars and traveled to the present...err...um...forget it :) .... the point is here are the 1/100s getting their butts kicked by Warwithin Prime! :)

On that note - I like these toys, but the stands are pathetic and do not hold the weight of the toy!

VFTF1

post-4621-1165419250_thumb.jpg