A Lego Aircraft Carrier

Oh, you guys are so March 2006..

I'm starting to think there's nothing that we haven't discussed at least once already.  :lol:

Graham

410869[/snapback]

yes graham it was but when it was first postedit was not finished those pics shown no bow (atleast i did not remember one) ands now it has one.

Edited by buddhafabio

that thing wins the entire internet. Man i'd be proud to have made just one f14, he's tossing them around like they're nothin.

that thing is so incredibly impressive it's hurting me to think about it.

Wow that thing is friggin huge!!!  Very cool though!

How'd he get it onto the water?!?

It looks like it's at a river bank. Doesn't look like it'll float.

410836[/snapback]

Hmm, I don't know

there must be someone here good in physics that can calculate if it's able to float

410836[/snapback]

Hmm, I don't know

there must be someone here good in physics that can calculate if it's able to float

410902[/snapback]

its all depending how hollow under the hanger deck he made it.

410836[/snapback]

Hmm, I don't know

410902[/snapback]

still, as a leggo construct, wouldn't it be leaky?

do individual lego peices float or sink? I don't remember every playing with them in the water so i don't know.

even so, i dont' think legos are able to make a water displacing hull on their own, doesn't it need to be smooth?

do individual lego peices float or sink?  I don't remember every playing with them in the water so i don't know.

even so, i dont' think legos are able to make a water displacing hull on their own, doesn't it need to be smooth?

410922[/snapback]

I believe some sank while others floated

but if this guy were to glue the pieces together the stones would trap alot of air inside

....one does wonder how much water came out of that once it was taken out of the water

I'm starting to think there's nothing that we haven't discussed at least once already.  :lol:

Graham

410869[/snapback]

Sorry Graham, before my time ....

:p

411176[/snapback]

Search is your friend.

Still a good build though. The thing I can't figure out is for all the work he put into the ship, the planes are pretty meh looking.

Recent Lego ships that could float had a single-piece hull, as well as a special "ballast" brick or two installed low in the hull. However, early ones did have multi-piece hulls, but I don't know if they could inherently float---they had attachement points for individual motors and floatation devices below etc, it may be that the hull flooded but the add-on parts kept it from sinking. Very similar to many toy/model ships you see today, that have removable motors for display.

I seriously doubt it floats. As has been said, LEGO bricks aren't air tight when they connect, so it'd rapidly fill up with water. And it'd roll over before it sank, because it's got a flat bottom and would be very top heavy. If you look at the pictures on brickshelf (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126969), you can see he's got a platform underneath it in the water.

I seriously doubt it floats.  As has been said, LEGO bricks aren't air tight when they connect, so it'd rapidly fill up with water.  And it'd roll over before it sank, because it's got a flat bottom and would be very top heavy.   If you look at the pictures on brickshelf (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126969), you can see he's got a platform underneath it in the water.

411291[/snapback]

I've played with legos enough in the bathtub as a kid to know that they do float. Even though the bricks aren't airtight, the air bubble stays in the cell pretty well because the opening is below the empty air pocket, and the air becomes trapped in the brick. Depending on how it's balanced, it might not stay upright, however.

And it's possible that I've remembered totally wrong.

Edited by Sundown

410869[/snapback]

I'm sure there is.

It's probably something decidedly non-nerdy, like a major sporting event.

412876[/snapback]

Ha ha ha ha

:lol::lol::lol:

wow coooool!..

Yeah I'm sure it's gonna float.. imagine how hollow a piece of lego brick can be.

I remember I used to have a red lego ship a long time ago... it floats but I lost the lower parts with a couple of weights to keep the ship from capsizing.

Edited by Kin

wow coooool!..

Yeah I'm sure it's gonna float.. imagine how hollow a piece of lego brick can be.

I remember I used to have a red lego ship a long time ago... it floats but I lost the lower parts with a couple of weights to keep the ship  from capsizing.

413267[/snapback]

I still have the police patrol boat. Mine came with a red keel weight. It must be nice having the space to store that thing.