Fanchildren, Cease Thy Whining

Keep all the new CGI, all the cleanup on the old special effects, the final Jabba scene in ANH, the shuttle from Bespin to the Executor, Ian McDiarmid as the hologram is TESB, and the Coruscant celebration.  That'd be my ideal "Special Edition" version.

396664[/snapback]

What about Temura Morrison as Boba Fett?

Why did I suddenly have a vision of New Coke being yanked from shelves and Coke Classic filling it's place?  :p

396524[/snapback]

I think you or one of the others mods need to retitle this thread so there's no confusion on what this subject is about (notice Star Wars is not mentioned).

Anyway, it's good to see that Lucas finally saw the writing on the wall and is giving us what we want. :)

But at the same time too, are we going to have a a new DVD of any and all of the Star Wars movies coming out every year now? In 2004, the 2004 SE comes out as a boxset. 2005 - another boxset release of the 2004 SE without the 4th disc from the 2004 boxset. Now the original movies come out including the 2004 SE with them. On top of this, aren't all 6 movies being given some sort of 3D effects for a 2007 theatrical run and I presume a home release afterwards? Ouch!

I think you or one of the others mods need to retitle this thread so there's no confusion on what this subject is about (notice Star Wars is not mentioned).

I would if I could but I can't so I won't.

"Non SE OT on DVD" says enough for me but I suppose just to prevent about fifteen more dupes showing up in the next 24 hours we should. DA? EXO? Roy?

"Non SE OT on DVD" says enough for me but I suppose just to prevent about fifteen more dupes showing up in the next 24 hours we should. DA? EXO? Roy?

396714[/snapback]

Noes! My overuse of net-acronyms is what makes the thread title so special! WTF OMG BBQ QFT

DAMN YOU, LUCAS AND YOUR INFERNAL WALLET VACUUM!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

the church of HSF (Han Shoots First) is easily first on my list of fanboys to make fun of... I've never seen so many people get sand in their vaginas over such a stupid little detail.

396559[/snapback]

I think you'll find that they have the sand there because that change is symptomatic of an overall change in tone that permeates the prequels and the altered OT. Indeed, more than symptomatic, it is the quintessential post-ESB Lucas decision:

1. Change something that doesn't need to be changed (was anyone really offended by Han blowing away Greedo without giving Greedo "first shot!?!")
  2. Fundamentally alter a character (in this case, changing Han from a bad-ass into a goodie-goodie idiot who is alive only because Greedo can't hit a guy at point-blank range from two feet away).
  3. Finally, disingenuously claim that any changed events, characters, timelines, or meanings are not changes at all but were always part of the "original vision."

It irks in the same way that all the guns in E.T. were replaced with walkie-talkies to make the movie more kiddie-friendly and PC. Though, in that case, Steven Spielberg did the right thing and also made the unaltered version available, as Lucas has now done.

Now, Everybody wins! Well, except those of us who would like to have not gagged at all the pratfalls, kiddie humor, and fart jokes during the prequels. But you can't have everything!

"This will be a day long remembered. . ."

Best,

H

396612[/snapback]

This thread been useful. No I get all those “Han shoot/Greedo shoot†jokes I see on the Internet. I only had the vague idea of seeing Han Shooting first, didn't know that was one of the pillars of SW geekness. :lol:

You know, there's a lot of things I prefere in the Special Edition versions of the movies, especially with the DVD release which improved on a lot of what was wrong with the original SE additions.

However, there are a few things that really bug me about them, too. Not in a deal breaker sort of way, but still. Han shooting first, the dance scene in Jabba's palace, and even bigger than either of those is  a single line from Empire Strikes Back in which they dub over one of Vader's lines with new dialogue...and it sounds absolutely nothing like Vader's voice, it sounds like a bad impersonation.

If I'm ever feeling particulary ambitious, I might actually edit together my own edition of the movies, picking and choosing what I like and don't like from the different versions.

396651[/snapback]

Now you're talking. I couldn't agree more. Ideally, I'd prefer to simply have both versions. But if I were to choose a desired "Special Edition" version, axe any changed dialogue ("You're lucky you don't taste very good/You're lucky you got outta there"), axe the Greedo fires first crap, axe the music video, and axe Hayden at the end of Jedi. Keep all the new CGI, all the cleanup on the old special effects, the final Jabba scene in ANH, the shuttle from Bespin to the Executor, Ian McDiarmid as the hologram is TESB, and the Coruscant celebration. That'd be my ideal "Special Edition" version.

396664[/snapback]

I agree too. I generally like the SE stuff with the ships and some of the background of Cloud City. But dont like the character changes. But with these DVDs coming out there's gonna be a lot of these fan edits available, just need to find the right one. Radd, get yours out quick!

396666[/snapback]

You guys should check out the "Darth Editious" re-edits (they use the official DVDs as source). I have the ANH one and it is just about perfect. All the SE quality and better special effects, but no Jabba, Greedo firing first, Rontos w/ pratfall Jawas, Boba Fett mugging the camera. . . etc.

And, this guy actually went in and fixed the things that everyone assumed George Lucas would have fixed while he was making the SEs (rather than just adding a bunch of stuff). . . like painting the "radar dish" onto the Millenium Falcon while its in the Mos Eisley space port, etc.

It's a nearly-perfect hybrid. . . and essentially what a lot of people would have liked the SE OT to be.

You can check out it out here with a full list of changes/fixes. Though, like Lucas, there are one or two things I wish he hadn't taken it upon himself to "fix."

H

Edited by Hurin

*snip*

What about Temura Morrison as Boba Fett?

396686[/snapback]

Its okay, though I could do with or without. Morrison's voice over is one of those aspects that I could endure either way if someone produced a mostly appealing SE edit.

*snip*

You guys should check out the "Darth Editious" re-edits (they use the official DVDs as source).  I have the ANH one and it is just about perfect.  All the SE quality and better special effects, but no Jabba, Greedo firing first, Rontos w/ pratfall Jawas, Boba Fett mugging the camera. . . etc.

And, this guy actually went in and fixed the things that everyone assumed George Lucas would have fixed while he was making the SEs (rather than just adding a bunch of stuff). . . like painting the "radar dish" onto the Millenium Falcon while its in the Mos Eisley space port, etc.

It's a nearly-perfect hybrid. . . and essentially what a lot of people would have liked the SE OT to be.

You can check out it out here with a full list of changes/fixes.  Though, like Lucas, there are one or two things I wish he hadn't taken it upon himself to "fix."

H

396752[/snapback]

Hehehe, that's always been the problem with editing films after public release and why it's never done. If successful, people are attracted to the product "flaws and all", so it's impossible to get a re-edit "just right" since at least some portion of the fans will hate this or that.

Basically, I'm not so opposed to special effects scene edits so long as the original style and theme are mostly intact. What I truly despise are characterization edits and changed dialogue, especially so many years after the fact. Particularly when the creator changes them. As you grow older, your way of thinking changes, often times in ways you never expected. You also may come to resent choices you made in youth, conveniently forgetting those very immature, brash decisions were what made you the success you are today. Lucas's infamous change in Han Solo's characterisation is a direct result of age, and an inability to reconcile the character with his current convictions as an older man.

Whoo hoo! Something right happened in geekdom for a change, but this means I have one less thing to whine about.

Wait, no... where's my HD-DVD/Blue-Ray version?!

Based on speculation from elsewhere, think it's possible that the Non-SE OT was actually remastered for a future HD-DVD release (perhaps as a 30th anniversary promotional), and it was decided to transfer the masters to standard DVD's as a quick and easy money grab while they were at it?

I have to apologize to MW. All the "awesomeness" I had predicted is actually transpiring in the Superman thread. Sorry 'bout that.

And as for the OT, I'm so cool I'm waiting for HHD, X-ray discs, which should be on the market some time in 2037, just in time for the 60th anniversary rererererelease of A New Hope.

I have to apologize to MW. All the "awesomeness" I had predicted is actually transpiring in the Superman thread. Sorry 'bout that.

What were you expecting? Oh NoeS!! Lucas actually gave us what we want!! What happened to my rapeage?! JihAd!! Or did you mean you were expecting more fanfare than this?

Edited by Sundown

What were you expecting?

396865[/snapback]

Evidently the release of the non-SE Trilogy pales in comparison to the outrage of Superman squinting in the wind!!!

ok stupid question, but is this DVD release the equivalent to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=9118452922

with all the different editions i just can't keep up any more.

397176[/snapback]

Those are indeed the original, unaltered films on VHS. I once owned those many years ago.

Edited by Mr March

"We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD."

Does this mean the old masters were so tore up that they only have second rate work prints left? I'd like to know if this will really look better than my widescreen THX non-SE laserdiscs.

It's either:

Damn you George Lucas! Give us what we want!

or

Damn you George Lucas! You gave us what we want!

nah, there are two groups of whiners

1.those whining about him not doing this in the first place

2.those whining that they bought the other versions thinking these wouldn't be made, so they feel they were misled.

BTW: don't you get the SE with it? (that's why 2 discs) So there is no excuse to not buy this one because you are getting SE as well?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

nah, there are two groups of whiners

1.those whining about him not doing this in the first place

2.those whining that they bought the other versions thinking these wouldn't be made, so they feel they were misled.

IMO, anyone who thought that Lucas wouldn't release the original OT versions really is a naive person. I didn't buy the SE DVD's 2 years ago, because I just knew deep down in my gut that George would release the Non SE in order to milk this franchise even more.

Meh, I've totally lost interest in SW after the PT left a bad taste in my mouth so, I'm going to wait and see what he does for the 30th anniversary of ANH. He'll probably release the Gold Boxx Super Cool This is teh Shizzle version of all six episodes (with even more cantina characters!!!) and a gold Wonka ticket inside sometime in 2007.

See the thing is this: I don't mind when there are different versions of stuff so long as they tell and warn you in advance.

My only whine is when they mislead and say "we won't ever do [fill in the blank] thing, so you better buy this now or else you miss out" but then they turn thier back and do what they say they wouldn't do. So any people who bash the whiners really have to look at themselves and think "what exactly am I defending?".

A good example of "warning in advance and keeping the buyer informed" is the release of the lord of the rings extended versions and theatrical versions. Nobody got pissed because they knew there would be two versions so there was nothing valid to whine about. If you wanted the extended you bought that, if you want theatrical, you bought that. If you wanted both you just bought it all. But in this case, the whining is justified because it feels like they want to string you along kind of thing and milk as much as they can by lying deliberately. This way the fans will lap up each release and make multiple purchases. (basically buying something multiple times)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Screw this! I'm happy with the Special Edition DVD set that I have. Why go back?

397307[/snapback]

The DVDs aren't Special Edition.

They're a THIRD version of the movie.

397573[/snapback]

i asked this before but didn't get a clear answer. are the DVDs the same version as the VHS boxset i linked to?

Why buy DVDs when HD is right around the corner. I wouldn't buy the first round of HDs either since they are to be 1080i and 1080p is also just around the corner. So I'm going to wait until the original SW trilogy is available on HD 1080p.

F.

Why buy DVDs when HD is right around the corner.  I wouldn't buy the first round of HDs either since they are to be 1080i and 1080p is also just around the corner.  So I'm going to wait until the original SW trilogy is available on HD 1080p.

F.

397780[/snapback]

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs are 1080p...the first Toshiba HD DVD Players cannot output 1080p though future players will...all BD players will output 1080p from the get go.