Should I Swear Off Toynami Forever ?

Excillon

Well should I ? I'm considering selling my MPC's and going yamato only and using the money from them on 1/48's or Macross Plus stuff. The only Yamato I own is a 1/60 DYRL Roy and I love it so much...I can only imagine a 1/48. I just keep thinking the MPC's are limited and 5 years from now I might kick myself. Advice would be great. By the way, how tall does a 1/48 stand in Battroid mode ?

Swear off both Toynami's and 1/60s. Maybe hold on to your 2 seaters but that would be all you need from the 1/60s. The only reason to keep the 1/60 collection would be to have it in scale with the upcoming VF-0 and the Q-raus or any other toys they release in that scale. Otherwise... dump it.

Actually the only one Im having a lot of trouble letting go of is ironically the Jack Archer one, but if I let them go I want to sell the whole set off. I mean, it is the ONLY YF-1R out there, and he does look pretty cool. I wish yamato made a YF-1R. but then again, it would be easy to customize a 1A to look like a 1R. Hell I don't know, it's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's nothing but a massed produces custom. It's just a fanfic based toy based on some animation errors. There's a scene where Misa had three arms in SDF Macross... I'm suprised they haven't made that canon in the Robotech universe. Hey look it's my three armed Lisa Hayes! She can hug Rick and still hold his hands!

if you are on a limited budget...I'd go ahead and sell them off...to me! for cheap! :D

seriously tho...maybe you should try to save up for a 1/48 and see how you like it before selling off your MPCs...who knows you might not like it that much, however unlikely that is. In the end, I'm sure there are always going to be ppl around looking for this stuff, so both are likely to appreciate.

and the 1/48 stands about 12" in battroid mode.

One word of advice, the only way you are most likely to sell these is to palm it off to a rabid Robotech fan without knowledge of a Yamato, particularly a 1/48 Yamato. Hell, I see the new 1/100 scale Veritechs being better than them.

I've never even seen an MPC in person. It only took an MPC review for me to decide what to do. I'm still tempted about getting one, but I like displaying my valks, most importantly my 1/48 collection. If I put the MPC right next to it, all my friends will start asking what wrong with my display :). If money is the issue, then go ahead and jump! Do it! Sell them! Who cares? The moment you get a 1/48 in your hands you'll understand. (Yamato should pay me for this :))

Myself, once I started a poll about selling my whole 1/60 collection. In the end I realized that in that immediate moment money was not the issue. Then I kept the whole collection. Granted, the only 1/60 in display are my Elint and Ostrich, and sometimes a CF and the 1D. Everything else is in the boxes.

When I got my first 1/48, I knew it would not be the last. 19 valks later I realize the same thing... I know it will not end there.

OMG, and the 1/60 line keeps expanding :)

Edited by vlenhoff

Toynami's Veritechs have a quality on par with a bootleg valk made from a backstreet alley workshop using leftover plastic parts but sold on premium pricing.

Sell them to the rabid Homotech fans at jacked up prices and invest in REAL valks like the 1/48 line.

Edited by Project Phoenix

Toynami's Veritechs have a quality on par with a bootleg valk made from a backstreet alley workshop using leftover plastic parts but sold on premium pricing.

Sell them to the rabid Homotech fans at jacked up prices and invest in REAL valks like the 1/48 line.

388344[/snapback]

Soooo mean! :)

I was a homotech fan once, then I learned Macross was it! I guess that's how we all started at one point. Unless you lived in Japan or somewhere they played the original SDF Macross TV series.

Back to the point! Sell them! Order a 1/48 right now! You wont be able to put it down for a couple of years!

First figure out what the market is. About a year or so ago the market was really good for the 1st MPC. I got something around $300 for mine on ebay. I can see the R and Roy's 1S going for some bucks sooner or later. You'll probably never get anything for the cannon fodder. Max and Millas...who knows maybe there is a market since the Bandai 1/55's were so limited and hard to get. Just monitor the market and sell at the right time.

I too am guilty of starting out as a Homotech fan, and unfortunately didn't really know the difference before choosing a user name :( . Unless you're strapped for cash right now, I'd hold onto them for awhile. The market for them is pretty saturated right now with the release of those last few thousand volume 3 Roys. Before that, they were going up to something crazy like $250-$300 each. Right now you'd be lucky to get $250 for the whole collection.

I think you're on the right track with your limited issue point. Eventually they will be worth more, especially if Shadow Chronicles every gets off the ground, and it sparks a renewed interest in the series. Think of them more as an investment, than a collection. If you sell them now, you'll definitely take a loss. I almost sold mine off, but decided to hold onto them until the demand is a little stronger. There are always going to be more "late to the game" collectors, like myself trying to get a damn MIB low viz without taking out a home equity loan. Granted the MPCs are no Yamato, and especially not a 1/48..... Just keep them where they look best, in the display box :lol: .

388344[/snapback]

I was a homotech fan once, then I learned Macross was it! I guess that's how we all started at one point. Unless you lived in Japan or somewhere they played the original SDF Macross TV series.

Back to the point! Sell them! Order a 1/48 right now! You wont be able to put it down for a couple of years!

388353[/snapback]

Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings, I still feel cheated after all these years. Yes, I grew up watching the original Macross on TV. But I was too young to understand the plot. I only remembered the valks back then.

Then in '88 I saw Row-boat-tech and thought it was Macross translated. It took me 5 years to realize I was duped by Uncle Macek and the Harmony Gold Bandits. By then, I've spent a small fortune buying their VHS release and crapzilla toys.

I gave them away and return to the Light.

The 1/48 is the ultimate toy for Macross. Unless they decided a 1/24 is better...

Ebay value of MPCs at the moment:

Rick = $110-$200

Ben = $20

Roy = $70-$90

Max = $70-$90

Miriya = $20-$35

Jack = $60-$75

Rick Armor = $30-$40 (this was reissued and price was $20 for the longest time.. looks like it's climbing)

Max Armor = $110-$200 (someone just bought a Max w/Armor for $275)

Miriya Amor = $75-$150

Note - Max and Roy's prices seem to be rising... not very quickly mind you.

PS - the Yamato 1/60s are WORSE and valued less than Toynami MPCs. Removeable parts, screw covers that pop off constantly, paint that chips, and plenty of QC problems. The Yamato 1/48 is the only valk we should be discussing here.

Edited by jenius

Once you go Yamato 1/48 you never go back! :lol:

I have them all the MPC, 1/60, & 1/48. Save up your money and space for the 1/48's. I thought about selling my 1/60's but the investment is not there. They go for real cheep on Ebay now. I still might sell my non fastpack 1/60 versions. I should have gotten more Roy 1/60 Strikes to make custom Hikaru ones since that is the one that did not make the 1/60 cut.

Once you go Yamato 1/48 you never go back!  :lol:

388428[/snapback]

And yet, I bought the first 1/48, and never picked up another since (although I might just get the stealth VF-1J...). While vastly cool, I just couldn't shell out that much $$ for another series of VF-1s, no matter how sweet... not when I could pick up 4+ Hasegawa VF-1 kits for the same price (shows where my true heart lies :D ).

I gotta disagree with jenius on MPC vs. the Yamato 1/60s, though. I've got the complete set of 1/60s, and I like them a lot. I bought the first MPC, and then promptly ignored the rest of them until the YF-1R, which I did pick up as a quaint anomaly in Macross history. The 1/60s do have some of problems, but they look many times better than the MPCs, IMHO.

388344[/snapback]

388353[/snapback]

Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings, I still feel cheated after all these years. Yes, I grew up watching the original Macross on TV. But I was too young to understand the plot. I only remembered the valks back then.

Then in '88 I saw Row-boat-tech and thought it was Macross translated. It took me 5 years to realize I was duped by Uncle Macek and the Harmony Gold Bandits. By then, I've spent a small fortune buying their VHS release and crapzilla toys.

I gave them away and return to the Light.

The 1/48 is the ultimate toy for Macross. Unless they decided a 1/24 is better...

388365[/snapback]

ame here, I feel cheated, but I can't complain. I love my collection, and I'm looking forward to the new wave of Yamatos!

My opinion has nothing to do with RT fans vs. Macross fans. If HG hired a great toy company to produce their toys then I'd buy those too. IMO the 1/60 are horid. Great quality materials but crappy sculpts and lackluster engineering... much like their 1/72 Mac Plus Toys.

My opinion has nothing to do with RT fans vs. Macross fans. If HG hired a great toy company to produce their toys then I'd buy those too. IMO the 1/60 are horid. Great quality materials but crappy sculpts and lackluster engineering... much like their 1/72 Mac Plus Toys.

I am 100% with Exo on that one. Robotech/Macross, Robotech/MOSPEADA, I could really care what name they put on the box these days. When I bash the 1/60 or the MPC it's not because I'm showing brand bias... believe me, I own LOTS of both, I just am unimpressed by both. The screw-caps on the 1/60s was just the final straw though. They look great in fighter mode but then you transform it to battloid, lose three screw caps, and end up with a gangly battloid with a squished head, giant leg sockets, and a pimp lean. Don't even get me started on the 1/60 GERWALK mode (with the ingenious leg twisting mechanism that is rendered useless by any armor attachments).

Wait, I'm only 90% with Exo, I have such a hard-on for the Mac+ valks that I ignore the toys' flaws entirely. This might be borderline hypocritical... but since there's only one option I feel okay about that :)

I will say that after reading all the horror stories about the MPC Alpha's I started thinking about staying away from Toynami and selling my MPC's. I decided I'm going to sell them off and pick up a 1/48. I'm torn between 3 though. Should I buy a Roy, Hikaru VF-1S, or a Stealth VF-1J? I'm not too crazy about the VF-1A If I buy the Roy or Hikaru, I will buy a strike kit for it, or the stealth which comes with one. I just can't decide on what to buy. I love the Stealth's look, but Roy is my all time favorite, and I think the Hikaru just looks badass. Too bad they don't make a YF-19 1/48. If you were going to buy one, which would you get first?

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took the plunge, put the MPC's on ebay, and went to work. I came home and the Reserve of 450 had already been hit with 7 watchers! I've already turned a 70 dollar profit with 6 and a half says of bidding left. Sweet! I'll let you guys know when and what 1/48 I buy. Hell maybe I'll buy two! The Roy (my favorite) and the IJ Stealth ! Cheer for my auction so I can swear off Robotech forever and go strictly Macross !

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took the plunge, put the MPC's on ebay, and went to work. I came home and the Reserve of 450 had already been hit with 7 watchers! I've already turned a 70 dollar profit with 6 and a half says of bidding left. Sweet! I'll let you guys know when and what 1/48 I buy. Hell maybe I'll buy two! The Roy (my favorite) and the IJ Stealth ! Cheer for my auction so I can swear off Robotech forever and go strictly Macross !

That's good news. If you ever get some other toynami toys (ie the 1/100) I would like to hear your impressions of it. Because if they release some other mecha like a qrau or some destroids I will be interested in these.

See I think what toynami should have done all along is release stuff that was PT but not limited edition so that valks were more affordable to begin with. The impression I got is that the box is so nice, but when you finally open it, it just doesn't feel like a high quality toy worthy of the asking price. More like a "leave me in the box and never touch" thing.

With yammy 1/48, even with the prices you feel as if the money went to good use and you are getting what you pay for. (sure some can say that it ain't full of diecast like the MPC transformers, but ultimately that works in its favour when you consider putting GBP on, fast pack on, etc and the thing still manages to hold whatever pose you put it in and won't scrape the paint the more you transform it - increasing playability, and durability and holding its value over a long period of time in the likely chance that you would want to sell it on ebay and get the best value you can for it due to keeping it in relatively good condition. no loose limbs, paint chips, stress marks due to sheer weight causing wear and tear etc)

for example:

If I were to ever sell my yf21 FP there is no way I can claim "good condition" due to the scrapped paint on its legs now, can I? I've transformed it too many times, and the damage is too noticable.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I\'m surprised the Miriya is so cheap.

388499[/snapback]

It\'s only cause she\'s slurmty. ;)

388505[/snapback]

HEY! Those are fightin' words!

389186[/snapback]

I agree...a hot fighter pilot chick totally wins over a flight deck officer, or a crappy singer any day. That and the green hair is hot. Too bad there aren't real punk rock fighter pilot girls out there...

388499[/snapback]

388505[/snapback]

389186[/snapback]

I agree...a hot fighter pilot chick totally wins over a flight deck officer, or a crappy singer any day. That and the green hair is hot. Too bad there aren't real punk rock fighter pilot girls out there...

389200[/snapback]

Quick! Break out the pitchforks and light those torches! :o

How is Miriya slurmty?

388499[/snapback]

388505[/snapback]

389186[/snapback]

389200[/snapback]

Quick! Break out the pitchforks and light those torches! :o

How is Miriya slurmty?

389232[/snapback]

Well, she did squeeze out a kid pretty quick, and she married Max awfully fast...but that's OK. I like slurms. If it wasn't for slurms most of us dorks wouldn't get laid, or we'd all be with fat girls.