Should I Swear Off Toynami Forever ?

Excillon

I bought the MPC Scott Alpha(I passed on the VF-1s)..and it basically broke the first time I tried transforming it. Paint job, parts fitting and molding was poor too.

So save your money for more important things like beer, food or strip clubs. :p

I've sold off my VF-1 toynamis and Alphas. I know the Alphas are all there are as far they're concerned but i cant stand the fact that these things are so fragile.

The only VF-1 i still have is Ben's and i plan on repainting that or giveing it to my brother. the Sad part is that the hinge for the back pack broke and now i have to figure out how to repair so its stronger w/out compromising the rest of it :angry:

Edited by Macross73

I dunno about you all but I came from robotech fan base. Only recently say about (5 years ago) did I turn to Macross only to realized what BS they put the stories together. I would assume that most here on this site converted over to Macross from the Robotech. We have to admit that it was Robotech that got us started.

As for the toys, I have to admit I have buyer's remorse on the MPC Veritechs. I thought how cool it was till I got the MPC Rick (what a disappointment) but I still bought them (at a lesser price thanks to ebay) because the cool box and it wasnt that bad but still I wouldnt pay that MSRP price. Anyways, I always thought the 1/60s were a step up. 1/48s are a major step up. I sold most of my 1/60 extras and the rest are sitting in my office. I have to admit the MPCs are pretty shoddy at best but IMHO, better than the bootlegs (contrary to popular opinion). Now there was some hope for the MPC Alphas... I have mixed feelings about it but no real buyer's remorse. The Alphas were a step up from the MPC Veritechs despite the horror stories I hear about the MPC Alphas. However, it is hopefult they will make an Beta that will fit the MPC Alpha... small hope.

Overall, Yamato is way better than Toynami. For now, just get the 1/48s and be done with it.

Anyways, I always thought the 1/60s were a step up. 1/48s are a major step up. I sold most of my 1/60 extras and the rest are sitting in my office. I have to admit the MPCs are pretty shoddy at best but IMHO, better than the bootlegs (contrary to popular opinion). Now there was some hope for the MPC Alphas... I have mixed feelings about it but no real buyer's remorse. The Alphas were a step up from the MPC Veritechs despite the horror stories

I think, rabid fanboyism aside (to which we all seem guilty at times), we should all take a look back and realize (as Godzilla points out) that Yamato didn't start from greatness, it ascended to it. Toynami's first major product was the VF-1 MPC. Their second major product was the Alpha which improves greatly upon the VF-1 MPCs in every respect EXCEPT durability. The paint is better, the diecast is more prolific, the transformation is extremely complex, there are missile compartments everywhere, the toy was a real stab at something great. Sadly, because of the durability problems, it too leaves much to be desired. There next product is the Voltron which received pretty universally great reviews. Some claimed it could have been more ambitious but after the overly ambitious Alpha project I can't really fault Toynami. So, I like to think Toynami is growing and I think the world would be better for all anime fans if Toynami some day could reach a point where it is actually competing with Yamato. Can you imagine how sweet the toys might get? So, swearing off Toynami seems harsh. Upgrading from MPCs to 1/48s... well that's an easy call. I absolutely hate the Yamato 1/60s but I'm a very happy man I didn't swear off Yamato because of them.

I dunno about you all but I came from robotech fan base.  Only recently say about (5 years ago) did I turn to Macross only to realized what BS  they put the stories together.  I would assume that most here on this site converted over to Macross from the Robotech. We have to admit that it was Robotech that got us started. 

As for the toys, I have to admit I have buyer's remorse on the MPC Veritechs. I thought how cool it was till I got the MPC Rick (what a disappointment) but I still bought them (at a lesser price thanks to ebay) because the cool box and it wasnt that bad but still I wouldnt pay that MSRP price.  Anyways, I always thought the 1/60s were a step up. 1/48s are a major step up.  I sold most of my 1/60 extras and the rest are sitting in my office.  I have to admit the MPCs are pretty shoddy at best but IMHO, better than the bootlegs (contrary to popular opinion).  Now there was some hope for the MPC Alphas...  I have mixed feelings about it but no real buyer's remorse.  The Alphas were a step up from the MPC Veritechs despite the horror stories I hear about the MPC Alphas.  However, it is hopefult they will make an Beta that will fit the MPC Alpha... small hope. 

Overall, Yamato is way better than Toynami. For now, just get the 1/48s and be done with it.

389639[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The MPC is okay in Gerwalk mode. Since that's my favorite mode I like it just fine. I think the 1/48 is superior in fighter and battroid but never have found the Gerwalk mode to look good for some reason...

The 1/55 with a swivel thigh mod is the coolest Gerwalk mode out there, IMHO. The puny legs on the 1/60 and 1/48 throw it off for me.

MPCs are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too expensive for what they are, but....