Honestly, I think we can expect Bandai to put subs on current projects, but not on back-catalogue stuff.

That's the thing. The previous two R2 DVD releases "did" have subs.

Looks like Gundam the Origin is very Char centric. Is this retelling 0079 or is it more of a prequel to 0079? If it's the latter does that mean that no Gundam will appear in this series?

Who are you asking? We've only seen as much of it as you have...

Well i don't really know anything about it. I just assumed some of the hard core fans would know more info. Wasn't this a manga already? I don't know. I have a newborn and a high pressure job so i don't have time to scour every Gundam news site and forum to keep up with the level of knowledge that you expect me to have. Macross is the only thing i really keep up on and usually only from this forum. Seriously it wasn't an unreasonable question. Jeez calm down.

Well i don't really know anything about it. I just assumed some of the hard core fans would know more info. Wasn't this a manga already? I don't know. I have a newborn and a high pressure job so i don't have time to scour every Gundam news site and forum to keep up with the level of knowledge that you expect me to have. Macross is the only thing i really keep up on and usually only from this forum. Seriously it wasn't an unreasonable question. Jeez calm down.

Calm down, yourself. YES, the manga covered the whole series, but the flashbacks to Char and Sayla's childhood didn't begin until Vol. 9. The anime is a different animal. We'll find out HOW different eventually.

Is that the answer you wanted?

(The comic started in 2000. The flashbacks started in 2004. The comic ended in 2010. I don't see how your newborn figures into it.)

Don't tell me to calm down when you're jumping on me for asking a question. If answering a question is such a pain for you then don't bother bother responding. It's that simple.

Sorry for answering, then.

I answered your questions, didn't I?

If I didn't, here's the low-down: The comic started in 2000. The flashbacks started in 2004. The comic ended in 2010. The anime is clearly different. But we've only seen as much of it as you have. Thus, NO ONE has any answers, except the staff. :-)

How about not starting a petty argument? :angry:

And yes, we really don't know what direction they're going in or what they are planning on doing with Origin. The extent of what we know has been confined to the 2 trailers they've released. We know episode 1 is about Casval Rem and Artesia Som Deikun's (Char and Sayla) early life before MSG and that's about it. Will Origin focus on just those 2? Dunno. It's not following the blueprint from the manga. But if you've followed Gundam the Origin, then it will likely be within that vein of the story.

The comic started in 2000. The flashbacks started in 2004. The comic ended in 2010. The anime is clearly different. But we've only seen as much of it as anyone has. Thus, NO ONE has any answers, except the staff.

Edited by Gubaba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like Gundam the Origin is very Char centric. Is this retelling 0079 or is it more of a prequel to 0079? If it's the latter does that mean that no Gundam will appear in this series?

It seems like the extended flashback arc animated. In the manga it began after the Jaburo arc and goes on for 25 chapters with new content covering Char and Sayla's past from Zeon's assassination through to the Battle of Loum, before returning to the main story. In context, of the total 12 hardback collector's edition volumes of the entire manga, this is 3 whole volumes.

If they only decide to animated this arc, then no Gundams.

You've exposed un-knowing people to the annoyance of Quess. I wouldn't welcome that.Seriously--the two biggest "ruined the movie" characters of all time, are Jar-Jar, and Quess.

At least Quess gets what's coming to her, while Jar-Jar goes on to appear and even star in several episodes of The Clone Wars.

Hey, you guys know those Variable Fighter Master File books we all drool over? I just discovered today that there are at least four Mobile Suit Master File books, too.

RX-78 Gundam

RGM-79 GM

MSZ-06 Zeta Gundam

RX-78GP01 Zephyranthes.

I'm mentioning this for two reasons. One, if you're like me, you maybe didn't know these existed. And two, if you did know that they existed, maybe you could tell me if there's more than those four?

Hey, you guys know those Variable Fighter Master File books we all drool over? I just discovered today that there are at least four Mobile Suit Master File books, too.

RX-78 Gundam

RGM-79 GM

MSZ-06 Zeta Gundam

RX-78GP01 Zephyranthes.

I'm mentioning this for two reasons. One, if you're like me, you maybe didn't know these existed. And two, if you did know that they existed, maybe you could tell me if there's more than those four?

Nope. That's it for now. The 1st 3 you list are the best. GP01's I found to be meh. The 1st 3 cover a lot but GP01's feels like the VF-1 Squadrons-book. As in, now it feels like you're just making stuff up to fill in the pages with words.

RX-78 Gundam

RGM-79 GM

MSZ-06 Zeta Gundam

RX-78GP01 Zephyranthes.

There's one for the fictional Ace Combat ASF-X Shinden II, I think.

Also a RL one for the retired F-14 Tomcat,

"Visual Master File F-14 Tomcat".

But not for Gundam.

Edited by hulagu

Nice looking website. I think Origin is going to be really good.

After doing 00 I've now picked up Unicorn (only UC I haven't watched). Awesome visuals and animation and I love all the little references to past Gundams.

Is it just me or is there a small Macross homage there too?

the scene where Banagher picks up the Zavi girl floating in space reaching with their hands just reminded me of Hikaru and Minmay

TheAnimeOverviewer also compared it to Macross in his review of Unicorn.

A more blatant homage is the idol singer politician Lacus Clyne. Also in Gundam Build Fighters, the character Kirara does Ranka Lee's "Kira" pose while shouting "Kiraran" instead of "Kira" but I have been informed that this is a common practice for real life idol singers.

• 3 weeks later...

it seems that Tomino didn't like the design of the Turn a Gundam too much.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/08/28/gundam-creator-critical-of-new-voice-actors-and-veteran-mecha-designer

Come on Tomino...the Moustache is love!

Eh... I kind of don't blame him. I mean, I loved Turn A Gundam... and I've grown to love the Turn A itself... but it's the Gundam that's the least Gundam.

Eh... I kind of don't blame him. I mean, I loved Turn A Gundam... and I've grown to love the Turn A itself... but it's the Gundam that's the least Gundam.

I do blame him. He's the one that hired Syd Mead showed him a Gundam and said... "This is a gundam. Make something like this, but not like this!" then approved the final design. So yeah its all on his head, so he shouldn't be the one to talk.

I do blame him. He's the one that hired Syd Mead showed him a Gundam and said... "This is a gundam. Make something like this, but not like this!" then approved the final design. So yeah its all on his head, so he shouldn't be the one to talk.

I think liking Syd Mead's work and giving him free reign to do what he wanted until they were too far along to change it doesn't obligate Tomino to like it, or admit to not liking it 15 years after the fact. Should Tomino have checked on Syd's work sooner? Sure. Does that mean Tomino is partly at fault if he didn't like the final product? Sure. Does that negate his ability to dislike the design? No, it doesn't.

I think liking Syd Mead's work and giving him free reign to do what he wanted until they were too far along to change it doesn't obligate Tomino to like it, or admit to not liking it 15 years after the fact. Should Tomino have checked on Syd's work sooner? Sure. Does that mean Tomino is partly at fault if he didn't like the final product? Sure. Does that negate his ability to dislike the design? No, it doesn't.

Tomino is entitled to like or dislike whatever he wants, either way he's still a crotchety old man and wrong.