Because it's not natural to them. Unlike Macross fans, Gundam fans are not used to seeing their mecha rendered in CG. Also, a sizable portion of that hate stems from the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A Mistranslation movie trilogy, which had new digital + CG animation clash heavily with the old cel animation.

Oh yeah, and there's G-Saviour as well...

g savior I'd understand since it was cheaply done.

but I don't entirely mind cg in my Gundam.....we had some in unicorn too. I just say if you're gonna have it do it right do it right.

Because it's not natural to them. Unlike Macross fans, Gundam fans are not used to seeing their mecha rendered in CG. Also, a sizable portion of that hate stems from the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A Mistranslation movie trilogy, which had new digital + CG animation clash heavily with the old cel animation.

Oh yeah, and there's G-Saviour as well...

I dont think it is even fair to compare G-Saviour :wacko:

imo, I dont mind CG as long as it is done correctly or good and OVA/Movie CG is usually a notch better than TV CG since they have bigger budget (though it applies for both hand-drawn cels as well). Some scene in Unicorn is CG (transformation) and even that is enough to receive some hate on by few fans. While I understand it is about preference, I maybe have just accepted CG as a natural progression of Anime/Entertainment media.

As for the Origin Trailer, I just hope we get more action than the trailer shows us since we know, most of the trailer already shows 60 to 80% of the good scenes you want. Though the pacing of the shots make it seems the earlier generation of Zaku is faster/more agile than unicorn or sinanju)

Even up until now, Gundam has shied away from CGI, unlike basically the rest of the mecha genre, and anime as a whole. Opting for hand-drawn digital cel has kept the art cleaner, if more expensive. It's a lot easier to make something look like it fits in a 2D setting if that thing is, itself, drawn in 2D. It's pretty hard to put cheaper CGI into a 2D shot and keep it looking like it fits. It falls into uncanny valley pretty easily. In Macross, we've had over a decade to get used to this, and the studios have gotten really good at mixing CGI and cel. But the same can't be said of Gundam, or its fans who aren't used to the two mixing.

Plus G Saviour was a thing, proving once more that CGI and Gundam don't mix very well.

I think CG is fine. Most animation is CG-colored anyways. It's just that...for some reason, the coloring in Origin it feels like there's a constant light source shining on 1 spot all the time. It doesn't look like a natural light source.

I think CG is fine. Most animation is CG-colored anyways. It's just that...for some reason, the coloring in Origin it feels like there's a constant light source shining on 1 spot all the time. It doesn't look like a natural light source.

Yes, all animation these days are computer colored and digitally animated. The days of animators painting cels by hand with a brush and camera shooting each cel frame died many years ago.

The last Gundam anime that was non-digitally animated was I believe Turn A Gundam.

I'm neither for nor against CGI. It's possible to do it well, and it's possible to do it poorly. Evolve demonstrates this perfectly. Some of the shorts are great, and others are ridiculous (Strike). Macross Zero and Frontier made great use of CGI, but Aldnoah Zero's CGI doesn't fit nearly as well with the 2D animation.

When you're drawing each portion of each frame manually, it's easier to keep things like lighting, shading, and perspective consistent. Similarly, when you're animating the whole thing in CGI, it's easier to keep all of that consistent. When you mix the two, it's all too easy to introduce distracting inconsistencies. And you get weird, jarring animations where the 2D isn't animated as deforming under the force of a 3D object, which is animated as bouncing off because it's cheaper. It takes a concerted effort and plenty of experience (plus a pretty good budget) to make it look good. As long as the effort is paid, you can get great results, but that's heavily dependent upon studio and budget.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have a bit of an obscure discussion here, but anyone want to take a stab at the development lineage of the RGM-79 GM? From what I can gather from snippets and translated articles it goes something like this:

RGM-79[E] early type(seen in 08th ms) was developed on Luna II from data the White Base passed on. The RGM-79C(0083) was born from this suit.

RGM-79[G] ground type(08th ms) was developed in Jaburo to gain ground combat experience. The RGM-79[G] GM Sniper was born from this suit.

RGM-79 Standard GM(0079) was developed in Jaburo from data collected from both the [E] and [G] types. Most GM variants like the RGM-79SC, D, L, SP, G(Command), GS, GRS, RAG-79, and RGC-80 etc were born from this suit.

RGM-79C Kai(0083) mentioned earlier was developed in Luna II from the [E] type and fought along side the standard GM in the final weeks of the one year war. Ended up suplanting the standard GM post one year war. The Powered GM, Striker, N, Q, and Wagtail, and RGC-83 were developed from this suit.

RMS-179/RGM-79R GMII(Zeta) by 0087 most of the one year war GM variants were phased out and replaced by the RMS-179 GM II. Those that weren't scrapped were upgraded and given the RGM-79R designation. AUEG used this suit and the RGM-79SP Sniper II to develop the MSA-003 Nemo.

RGM-86R GM III(Double Zeta) At the end of the Gryps conflict the GMII was upgraded once again to the 86R. The EW and Nouvel were born from this suit. By 0096 it served side by side with its eventual replacement the wholly new RGM-89 Jegan.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So these video rants are probably beating a dead horse, but yeah - he does have a point on a few issues. Hard to believe that CE-era beam sabers can't clash with each other like those of the UC and 00 eras can.

after i watched that, i thought of this:

"can you stop yelling at me please?"

"NO! I CAN'T STOP YELLING CAUSE THAT'S HOW I TALK!" -Samuel Jackson Beer

Edited by davidwhangchoi

That 20-minute video by Wackymodderz or whatever his name is, is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I watched it waaay back when and could hardly stand the sheer neckbeardedness of it. I'm all for critical analysis of fiction, but there is such a thing as taking it too seriously, and that dude needs to take a pill or get some friends or something.

And that's why I don't talk about Destiny. There are only two schools of thought about it: the crazed obsessives and the people who could not possibly give a damn, and I fall into that second group.

Interesting insights on the GM though, renegade.

Everything was so simple before 08th ms team......Only thing I would add is that GM G and E were developed at the same time.

You know, when I typed the post out I could have sworn I mentioned that, and yeah the 08th MS really muddled everything up. To make it a little worse now is there is apparently now an RGM-79A. Its supposedly a very early GM that has a head like the RX-78, but without the v-fin and a GM like visor instead of eyes. Mechahq has a picture of it, but no info what so ever. I didn't mention it earlier because I'm not sure if its official or not. That was actually a bit of an issue I had doing the research, figuring out which variants were official or not.

Interesting insights on the GM though, renegade.

Thanks. Just don't ask me to do the same for the Zaku. I swear everyone and their mother had a special variant, and basically every mono eyed suit can trace their lineage back to it. :p

Anyways one real interesting thing I found out is its possible for a RGM-79 to have survived the one year war, been upgraded to a RGM-79R GMII survive the Gryps conflict, and be upgraded yet again into the RGM-86R GMIII seeing action through the various Neo Zeon uprisings. Sounds like an good idea for an OVA or manga in a dead man's gun sort of way following the suit as it changes hands over the years.

You probably already have it but there was a master archive book released about the GM. Seems about as official as we are going to get on the GM lineage.

http://www.hlj.com/product/SOF35904/Gun

I actually don't have that book or any Gundam ones as my lack of understanding Japanese puts a damper on anything I might be able to gleam from it. At best I'd be like "OHHHHHH Pretty GMs!" at the pictures. Even then looking at how the sample pages are all CGI images makes it kind of turn off. I will probly end up picking it up along with the Great Mechanics GM guide at some point, because you know.... GMs.

Anyways I found out what the RGM-79A is. Its not an early GM like the [E] or [G] or the first production model of the GM like some at mechatalk lead me to believe. Its the mass produced GM version of the RX-78NT1 Alex and the missing link to the N, Q, and RGC-83. I also found this chart that shows where it fits as far as GMs go.

16332893497_d5d7567e86.jpg

It really does make a lot of sense since the Custom has a very similar body to the Alex, and the RGC-83 uses the chobham armor. Aparently the reason we haven't seen it in a OVA, series, or manga(aside from it only reletively recently been created) is because its Gundam's equivilent of the F8F Bearcat. It entered service too late to see combat in the war it was designed for and was quickly replaced by newer more advanced units like the custom.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Guest davidwhangchoi

i recently got into collecting a few rg kits so i started to rewatch SEED. what i don't understand is in ep 37 "Divine Thunder" erica simmons reconstructs the strike for a human to pilot it. and calgari wants to pilot it before Mu takes it. why didn't they do that for the Buster? i thought they grabbed that as well? as the mechanics kept repeating, it was their machine to begin with.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i recently got into collecting a few rg kits so i started to rewatch SEED. what i don't understand is in ep 37 "Divine Thunder" erica simmons reconstructs the strike for a human to pilot it. and calgari wants to pilot it before Mu takes it. why didn't they do that for the Buster? i thought they grabbed that as well? as the mechanics kept repeating, it was their machine to begin with.

because dearka has to serve a purpose?

Guest davidwhangchoi

because dearka has to serve a purpose?

thanks man:) Seed writers suck....

i just watched further.... dearka is set free when Orb goes into battle. he evens asks what happened to the buster and they said it's been confiscated.... (assumed it's been reassigned and put to use)

it's total bs dearka is walking away from the fight and watching the battle from the streets. all of a sudden he runs a few blocks and he's in the buster. What the hell? Seed has some bullsh!t moments.

reminds me of typical WWE writing... one moment a character is out of commission with a broken leg the next moment he's running around full speed.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Origins......not happy with it. Long ass wait for that. It wasn't the lack of mobile suits or anything like that. It was just................it wasn't there for me. Some stuff made zero sense.

I haven't seen it yet, but my knowledge of the UC universe and stuff I've had translated might help with what didn't make sense, so give me some spoilers so maybe I can help.

I haven't seen it yet, but my knowledge of the UC universe and stuff I've had translated might help with what didn't make sense, so give me some spoilers so maybe I can help.

I think it's more of the fact that I need to continue reading origins. But characters feel so out of place from what I've known them to be as.

Just watched it (Origin I) om PSN. Overall I lijed it, but so far it's mowhere near as strong as Unicorn, and dare I say has a "Phantom Menace" quality to it.

Do we know how many eps this is gonna be? If the first 2 parts are gonna be centered on Casval and ArtesIa, I'm gonna want at least 3-4 Amuro centric eps.

Edited by Keith

Keith, it's going to be four episodes total, so my guess is that it'll follow the "flashback" sections of the manga only.

In those, Amuro shows up as a kid at the end only.

But really, what do you want to see about his backstory? His dad leaving for space with him, and him tearfully saying goodbye to his mom and his wooden puppet? There's nothing terribly dramatic about Amuro's childhood.

Really? I actually assumed they were going to do the full MSG remake of The Origin. Now I'm actually kinda disappointed, I was all set for RX-78 action with flashy new animation.

I shall now cry into my beautiful 0079 movie BD box set.

• 2 weeks later...