Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Cathy Schulman

Other Nominees:

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Diana Ossana, James Schamus

Capote (2005) - Caroline Baron, William Vince, Michael Ohoven

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - Grant Heslov

Munich (2005) - Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, Barry Mendel

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Winner:

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (2005)

Other Nominees:

Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow (2005)

Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005)

David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Winner:

Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005)

Other Nominees:

Judi Dench for Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)

Felicity Huffman for Transamerica (2005)

Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Charlize Theron for North Country (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Winner:

George Clooney for Syriana (2005)

Other Nominees:

Matt Dillon for Crash (2004)

Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man (2005)

Jake Gyllenhaal for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

William Hurt for A History of Violence (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Winner:

Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener (2005)

Other Nominees:

Amy Adams for Junebug (2005)

Catherine Keener for Capote (2005)

Frances McDormand for North Country (2005)

Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Best Achievement in Directing

Winner:

Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Other Nominees:

George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Paul Haggis for Crash (2004)

Bennett Miller for Capote (2005)

Steven Spielberg for Munich (2005)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Winner:

Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco

Other Nominees:

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - George Clooney, Grant Heslov

Match Point (2005) - Woody Allen

The Squid and the Whale (2005) - Noah Baumbach

Syriana (2005) - Stephen Gaghan

I'm surprised Crash took Best Picture. I figured for sure the Academy was going to shower Brokeback Mountain with the award.

Course, it wouldn't be an Academy Awards show if it didn't dissappoint me off more than it pleased me. Gyllenhaal was robbed and poor Joaquin is once again passed over. Burton should have won with Corpse Bride and as much as I disliked Narnia, it should have beat King Kong for visual effects.

All in all, this year's Academy Awards was almost everything I've come to expect :p

Someone watched the Oscars?

377046[/snapback]

John Stewart was great. I hope he hosts next year!

The campaign commercial skits were hilarious!

Jack Nicholson is the man. That was the best Best Picture presentation ever! I couldn't stop cracking up. I can't help but think he was stoned or drunk or something! :D

And George Clooney's acceptance speech was awesome. "Proud to be out of touch." Take THAT Middle-America!

Someone watched the Oscars?

377046[/snapback]

Nobody "watches" the Oscars! Just check the results on the IMDB and avoid all the self-congratulatory butt-kissing for 2+ hours :)

377052[/snapback]

Someone had to watch them to get the results to post on IMDB.

ZOMG PARADOX!

I second the George Clooney speech being great. Humorously adding his "world's sexiest man 1997" title in there was great. He actually seems to have a sense of humor similar to Stewart's. I will also agree that Stewart did a great job. I also liked the opening spoof where all the past hosts refused to consider doing the job again. I really only watched bits and pieces but the parts I caught were done well. Man, I'd be thrilled if they'd get rid of the crappy song performances next year.

And once again, Saving Private Ryan was robbed.

We had the Oscars on. The wife did homework while I worked on a drawing. Clooney's speach was funny, and when Jon Stewart kept cracking up over the Original Song Award... that was classic.

I guess I liked this year's Oscars because, moreso than usual, they awarded talent. Weisz' win for The Constant Gardener, Clooney in Syriana, etc. We were disappointed that Wallace and Gromet won out over Corpse Bride. W&G are fun, don't get me wrong, but for stop-motion animation, Corpse Bride was done much, much more skillfully.

This was one of those years that we didn't have one really overpowering film to beat us all into submission, forcing us to worship at its altar. This was one of those years were we will not remember who won what (or care, for that matter).

The only thing that really stuck out to me was the near shut out of Episode III in the technical awards. I'm not 100% sure on the statement that was being made by this, but it certainly wasn't because it didn't deserve nominations.

Hollywood sucks and has for a while...none of the movies that were listed mattered to me. I saw about, 0% of them.

377204[/snapback]

Wow. That's a shame. Too bad for you.

377209[/snapback]

I agree.

This was one of those years that we didn't have one really overpowering film to beat us all into submission, forcing us to worship at its altar. This was one of those years were we will not remember who won what (or care, for that matter).

The only thing that really stuck out to me was the near shut out of Episode III in the technical awards. I'm not 100% sure on the statement that was being made by this, but it certainly wasn't because it didn't deserve nominations.

377175[/snapback]

Yeah. EW lambasted the Academy for blovking out SWIII in the techinical categories and only being nominated for best make up. WTF, mate?

Oh well.

Its quite amazing, in my mind, that the prequels didn't sweep the technical categories in the years they were released. No matter what one may think of them, there is no denying what ILM did with those films.

Don't studios have to submit their films to the academy in order for them to be considered for nomination? Its possible that Lucas just figured "Ah, screw it."

377272[/snapback]

No, the Academy dropped the big curtain on Star Wars.

The thing is, the work is there, its not like the Academy can nullify that. You don't need a statue or an "Oscar" title before your work for it to be good (or, the best). And let's be honest, here, everyone has seen some of the absolutely screwy decisions the Academy has made over the years.

I'm still trying to figure out how Return of the King won Best Picture, Director, etc, considering the overlong mess that it is. The Two Towers was the best effort of the trilogy.

I only watched the awards up until they did best animatd film. Much to my disappointment, Howl's Moving Castle didn't win.

377424[/snapback]

It wasn't expected it to. The craft of clay animation, especially with the long running quality and success of the Wallace & Gromit series, is tough to beat.

I only watched the awards up until they did best animatd film. Much to my disappointment, Howl's Moving Castle didn't win.

377424[/snapback]

It wasn't expected it to. The craft of clay animation, especially with the long running quality and success of the Wallace & Gromit series, is tough to beat.

377434[/snapback]

I've always been in awe of clay animation features. I remember one that I watched as a kid. I can't remember the title but it had Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer, & Huckleberry Finn and they travelled in time (or was it other worlds?) in an elevator! Anybody know what I'm talking about? No Bill & Ted jokes, please! :p

I've got to try some of that Stinking Bishop cheese from W&G!

I'm actually glad Crash won. My roommate and I watched it a few months back and we were both surprised. Neither of us thought it was gonna be worth a damn, thinking it was going to be a 2-hour rant on 'Whitey sucks and racism is all their fault' that typically passes for an 'enlightened look at racism' in movies.