New Horror For Mgs Fans

OMFG.......NOOOOOOOOO!!! I wonder if we all contributed USD10 per person and hired an assasin , maybe we can take him out....ya know something like Smash My Xbox / Ipod/PS2 sorta things. :p

This mishap with Uwe Bol's Bloodrayne is our only hope:

As if the movie wasn't bad enough, only grossing $1.2 million during its opening weekend, here comes this disaster. A computer error led to 5,500 additional prints of the film being produced and sent to theaters. At $5,000 each, this could set the film back by $27 million!

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that, according to Variety, the film is only showing on 985 screens, just over half of the original target of 1,900--and that's separate from the thousands of accidental extra copies. Now, the film is already millions in the hole and it earned only $1.2 million during its opening weekend, failing to place it in the top ten. Uwe Boll has had a lot of second chances, but might this spell the beginning of the end for the self-described misunderstood director?

And I thought Kojima would only allow MGS to be made if he had some creative say?

I'm completely unfamiliar with the Metal Gear franchise beyond one game I played for the NES many, MANY years ago (I recall well the cover artwork for the game featured a caricature of Micheal Biehn). But I gotta feel sorry for any script that falls into the vile clutches of the evil Uwe Boll :)

Not an MSG fan either. I played one game years ago on the Playstation for a few days, but lost interest before finishing it. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

But even as a non-fan, I can well understand the horror you fans must be feeling at the thought of Uwe Boll getting his nastly little claws all over the franchise.

Graham

Well, I enjoyed MGS 1 and 2 and especially 3. But Kojima's plots are... Oliver Stone on acid...? :blink: I don't really see great potential for a movie based on the story. It's the gameplay, setting and style I like. Stick to games I say. I don't play MGS for Kojima's world views or political messages, if I could even decipher them.

Never heard of Uwe Boll, sounds like I'm not missing much.

I'm going to raise the "bs" flag on this one, at least until I hear it from a more mainstream movie site. Who knows...Boll himself could be spreading this rumor, in order to drum up support for his other projects. Now that they've closed that loophole in German tax laws, he's going to be increasingly desperate for money. Its not as if his films temselves will cover their own costs.

Well, I enjoyed MGS 1 and 2 and especially 3. But Kojima's plots are... Oliver Stone on acid...? :blink:  I don't really see great potential for a movie based on the story. It's the gameplay, setting and style I like. Stick to games I say. I don't play MGS for Kojima's world views or political messages, if I could even decipher them.

Never heard of Uwe Boll, sounds like I'm not missing much.

359613[/snapback]

If you go back to the original games, the plot is a lot more pedestrian, with far less genetic engineering, evil twins, and cyber-WTFever(I never playd Solid 2).

The original games would make a good movie.

Maybe even Solid, if you take a few liberties(the thermal-sensitive card in particular showcases the game-ness of the writing, as it serves no purpose other than to extend the length of the story through backtracking).

First game(from http://www.msxnet.org/gtinter/mgear2us.htm and their translation of the MG2 manual):

A bunch of mercenaries have set up a giant fortress/nation known as Outer Heaven. Rumor is that they're developing a new next-gen battle weapon that will make them #1. Foxhound sends in Gray Fox to infiltrate Outer Heaven and find out about this new weapon. He gets captured, and his last garbled report mentions "Metal Gear."

So Foxhound sends in their best and brightest ... err, scratch that... their freshest rookie with no experience whatsoever, Solid Snake, to infiltrate Outer Heaven, rescue Gray Fox, and finish the job.

Snake gets into the fortress, steals some guns, shoots some guys, yakyakblahblah, and rescues Gray Fox, who tells him that Metal Gear is a hyper-awesome walking battle tank with incredible armor and nuclear missiles(presumably short-range, as there's no room for ICBMs on the thing).

Snake proceeds to rescue the scientist that Outer Heaven was forcing to design Metal Gear for them(and his daughter they were using to blackmail him), and finds out the vehicle's weakness.

He goes on, smashes Metal Gear, and finds Big Boss. Turns out Big Boss is actually the head of Outer Heaven and has intentionally been sabotaging the mission(hence why a raw recruit was sent in instead of the finest men in the force). Hence why he was personally operating the radio. None of Snake's reports have made it past Big Boss, so Snake, Gray Fox, and Big Boss are the only people that know anything. And Big Boss is gonna kill Snake, rebuild Metal Gear, and take over the world MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Of course, in the end, Snake wins the fight, Outer Heaven is blown up, and Big Boss dies in the burning rubble.

Except he doesn't. He comes back as a cyborg for Metal Gear 2. :p

All I really cared about in Metal Gear was the game action... the stealth, the killing and then running... you know, the actual gameplay. The actual stories in the metal gear games IMHO are rife with all manner of bad writing, predictable plot twists, overused movie stereotype and more incorrect and just plain made up fact than anything... oh and don't let me forget Kojima's constant beating you over the head with his political views and world views. I don't see how Boll could make the MGS plots any more screwed up and goofy than they actually are in the games.

I agree with DT... if it's going to piss you off, don't look.

This is only a horror if you are one of the unfortunate few actually go to se video game movies. The majority of humans on the planet, well... we simply don't care.

359539[/snapback]

You is crazy, Street Fighter with Van Damme was aw3som3!!!11

Has there ever been a good video game movie?

359770[/snapback]

Resident Evil 1 & 2

359772[/snapback]

What, was there an anime version that I missed? I thought for a second you were referring to the Paul Anderson suck-fests that we saw here in North America

First Mortal Kombat was also very stupid.

Fixed that last line for ya. ;)

When you compare those movies I listed to other video game movies, yes I'd say they were good.

MK was tolerable, not good...not that stupid. Come on, Johnny Cage vs Scorpion and Liu Kang vs Reptile were bad ass scraps!

Video Game movie Hall of Shame:

1) Mario Bros

2) House of the Dead

3) Final Fantasy Spirits Within

4) Wing Commander

5) Doom

And a bowl of dogfood tastes better in comparison to a bowl of steaming turds, but you'll excuse me if I decline to taste either one.  :p

359789[/snapback]

:lol:

To each their own I guess...just be sure you don't try that Diamond dog food, its killing dogs all over the country from what I heard on the news last night.

Oy.. and another one bites the dust. You'd think they could figure out that these movies are lousy. But nooooo.....

I think the only vg movies I've had the unfortune to see were Mario Bros and Wing Commander... I couldn't decide which was worse for adaptation... holy cow. I wanted to bash in Freddie Prince jr.'s head in with my old Wing Commander boxed set. Mario I don't really remember fortunately. But the crapfest of WC made me want to puke. Whatever schmuck wrote that script needs to be shot.

In my opinion, they already wrote a WC Movie... it was called Wing Commander III, had Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell, Jason Bernard, Tom Wilson, and Tim Curry for cryin out loud. The hollywood version had.. oh wait, yah.. no one. I think FPJ hit his peak in Scooby Doo, personally. Plus, no Thrakhath. Blair went from being a badass fighter pilot veteran to some idiot "pilgrim," who had some special "gift" so he could navigate jump holes manually.. such bs.

I really kind of miss the old filmed video games... they were expensive to make, but hell.. it was worth it. Closest I've seen since was Half Life 2 (if they ever make that a movie, people will die I think), and Freelancer (hmmm.. Chris Roberts again...), where they still got some big-name actors, but it was all in-game character animation, and the plot wasn't nearly as good as WC (or heart wrenching for that matter :p)

Edited by Chronocidal

Yes, everyone listen to BSU, Mortal Kombat sucked the wad out of a dead homo's ass.

359780[/snapback]

Ordinarily your movie tastes are pretty in line with my own, but this is not the case. The first MK movie was actually pretty good (especially compared to the jerk-fest it could've been). I liked the first one. The only downside was Christopher Lambert as Raiden (evidently he was hiding from other highlanders while posing as a Chineese Thunder God... no one was convinced)

The second one on the other hand? It was like the special olympics. There were winners and losers, but they were all f-ing retarded.

Edited by Skull Leader