Vf-1d 1/48 Custom

DatterBoy

COMPLETED PICTURES ON PAGE 2 added 11/24

I couldn't resist. Not completely done, but pretty damn close. Nothing fancy like Kurt or Neova, just the paint with John's conversion kit. My first 1/48 custom.

1D.jpg

1Db.jpg

1Dc.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Still not done yet:

- Head assembly

- Cockpit

- Canopy

- Ran out of Fusion and need to paint middle arms, front wheel doors, arm hatches that hide the hands

Since the Fusion takes a bit to dry, I'm gonna let it sit for about 3-4 more days. It's pretty awesome stuff. Got a bit anxous and got some rub which I will have to go back and fix. Also sanded some parts ofthe valk down since there was really tight wear in some areas.

haha... i was wondering when we were gonna see a completed or semi-finished painted 1/48 VF-1D.... It's really nice!!! although it looks like u're flying solo rite now... and goose has already ejected....haha

346274[/snapback]

Off'd that bastid... dude wasn't really useful anyway. I fly the 2 seater cuz the colors are cool...

Finishing up the head now and sharpied the cockpit.. hahahaha. I'll post pics in the other modes tonight. I'll likely use the stock Yamato stickers as I sort of want it to keep the toyish look. If I were Kurt or Neova I'd go for the Anasazi waterslides.

:Dat

All I need now is to make the visor green. Then I am done! You all were not kidding about the floppy head. I'm gonna see if I can't tighten up those joints before I do the final glueing. Had to do that for the neck, shouldn't be too bad for the rest of the head.

Gerwalk pics later tonight.

1Dbatt.jpg

Wow. Never been a fan of the 1D, but that actually makes the 1D look good. Great job, and awsome kit.

346401[/snapback]

Never been a fan?

Man, when I first watched ROBOTECH, sure, you saw the bots at the beginning during the intro, but the 1D was the first Valk I ever saw after transformation and when I did, it blew my mind. To have one now... pure euphoria. I'm a huge fan.

I used a first issue 1S Roy. Litle did I know that folks use the 1J Rick for cutoms to avoid the paint removal.. what a pain in the butt. I bought the Roy a bit back for about 100$ from someone who wnated to sell cuz the BP8 was busted. Only real gripe I have now is that the fit and QC of the first issue pieces is a little off, so the flush for the chestplate and the upper legs don't go right in fighter mode. Gaps, ya know?

Got a 4th issue Roy coming to replace that one... ;)

Scrubbing wasn't too bad. All you really need to do is get a sandpaper sponge pad meant for drywall sanding. Worked really good. Plus, the Krylon Fusion is a miracle paint. Awesome.

Guys,

I read these forums for about 2 weeks, looking up as much related material as I could to work up the courage to do the conversion. A lot of really good advice here and if you're anal enough and have the patience, you can do it too. It's sooo worth it. If you can, try and find a used valk to do the conversion on. That way, if you mess up, it does not hurt as much.

:)

All I need now is to make the visor green.:Dat

346390[/snapback]

You might be able to avoid that. I thought about trimming a piece of green construction paper, and putting it in the hollow in the front of the head where the visor goes. If you lay the clear visor down on something colored, it shows the color through very well.

BTW - Have you polished the canopy yet?

If there was someway we could get some Gummi pilots that are about 15% or so smaller than the current pilots, that woul dbe perfect. Don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to get any pilots to fit inthe back seat since their heads are always too tall for the canopy.

As for the polishing the canopy... not yet... is it possible to polish it with future even after painting the black frame?

future isn't a polishing agent - future is more of a clear coat, that helps to level out any scratches and imperfections, making the canopy nice and smooth. It will go on over black fine, but it will leave it glossy...