The Xbox 360 Thread!

:lol:

I had to do this...

347015[/snapback]

In light of reports of Xbox 360s crashing from what looks like a heat issue.....

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EE...kyEHasmrPqu.php

Small number though of people though. If you're having problems, don't bother to return it until next week or the week after...the artificial lack-of-supply has kinda crippled things.

I had to do this...

347015[/snapback]

LOL

Yeah, the 360 is an odd looking bird, but no more so than its predecessor. It's a heavy thing also...

-Cartridges were very expensive. I can recall my mother paying $64.99 for the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on the SNES back in my youth...

-As for the $30,000 on 100 360's, that makes total sense to me. If you could sell each one for just double the retail price, (and that's LOW considering the bidding madness in online auctions) ,in the end he'd end up making $50,000...Although how did he get his hand on that many units?

-Sigh...PS3. Just when I thought my days of sleeping on concrete were over...

I had to do this...

347015[/snapback]

In light of reports of Xbox 360s crashing from what looks like a heat issue.....

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EE...kyEHasmrPqu.php

Small number though of people though. If you're having problems, don't bother to return it until next week or the week after...the artificial lack-of-supply has kinda crippled things.

347019[/snapback]

A gadget oriented friend of mine once told me that any new electronic device should be placed through a 24 hour burn test, where you leave it on so that any problems or deficiencies in the unit will probably be realized in that given time. Supposively, if the device makes it out of that time period without any problems then there is a low chance of any other problems arising in the future.

Can you imagine the rage that these people must be feeling? After having slept with cockroaches, cigarette butts and used slurpee cups on cold concrete for the better part of the day, now they have a defective console to show for it? Well, I'm just glad that my unit passed my friend's "test."

Heat is an issue with the new Xbox. M$ tried to deal with it...but due to the small packaging of the console, heat is going to be an issue.

Here's the same report coming from Reuters (via Cnet News)

http://news.com.com/Crash+reports+hit+Xbox...ml?tag=nefd.top

The pixel lines running across the screen are definitely video overheating. Although, it could be the entire system has some defective cooling.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=wh0OSNezEEw

In any case, if you have a defective Xbox 360...call up Microsoft. You would be very lucky if where ever you bought it had extras to exchange.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but my '360 has been running since I powered it up at 10:30am yesterday and I have not had any problems. Sure it's hot, but it's a PC dressed up like a console anyway so that's to be expected. So Microsoft knew about these issues? After the exploding Pinto madness in the '70s you would think companies would prevent this sort of post-development nonsense from happening...

Any new hardware launch is bound to have a few lemons. But if this turns outto be more common and widespread than...uh oh.

Seen in many new articles already, as well as boards across the States, but is it really a common problem or just the voice of the internet?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Bu...=1341972&page=1

http://www.forbes.com/business/feed...afx2352925.html

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1892779,00.asp

http://news.com.com/Crash+reports+h..._3-5969776.html

http://www.ferrago.com/story/6912

65 out of 434, or 15%, according to a poll being conducted by the Xbox forums. Is that an acceptable failure rate? I'm starting to get flashbacks towards the days when the '48 Valkyrie first debuted. Remember the endless threads and heated discussions there were on Yamato QC just for that piece alone?

From what I've read, I'm currently leaning towards it actually being the power brick, not the system, for most cases. Found an interesting thread that they've already identified 2 different types of power bricks, and swapping them around between systems will make all the difference.

Also, considering the massive XBox power cord/adapter recall recently, it may be that MS still has bad powerpack design/suppliers.

Of course, Sony recently recalled a lot of slim PS2 power packs, but I've never heard of them causing PS2 failures.

Finally---is it really THAT hard to design adequate cooling for electronics? Everything gets "warm" but it seems game systems are far more prone to actual OVERheating. Can't they just add a bigger/faster fan, or more surface area to the sinks, or something? Why does everything lately always seem to run one degree away from failure?

Edited by David Hingtgen

65 out of 434, or 15%, according to a poll being conducted by the Xbox forums.  Is that an acceptable failure rate?  I'm starting to get flashbacks towards the days when the '48 Valkyrie first debuted.  Remember the endless threads and heated discussions there were on Yamato QC just for that piece alone?

347206[/snapback]

Not a good sign. :(

Oh well...landscaping it is then :p

That's the great thing about waiting to purchase a console until the most popular game is released; retailers always overstock both game and console in preparation for a big move of merchandise. Always easier to get a hold of the console for cheaper at that time.

This might be old news to you guys so i apologise if it was mentioned....but i stumbled upon this and found it hilarious!

http://www.smashmyxbox.com/

347263[/snapback]

:(

I'm not sure how to take that site....

I can imagine the people caught up in that 15% failure rate wanting to do that though...

On the homefront, it's been 2 days straight that I've left mine running. There are suggestions on the 'net saying that the system is after all a "gaming PC" so it should not be left activated for extended periods of time, but I completely disagree with that. I leave my PC on all the time and am planning to do the same to the '360; there shouldn't be any problems leaving these guys on...

Edited by myk

when is it expectrd to be more available?

Rumors have it after the Christmas Holidays, between Janurary and Feburary...

While my Xbox360 heats up, I honestly haven't had ANY problems what so ever, maybe because I'm not a hardcore gamer? But I really play like maybe.....30 minutes at the most at a time, every couple of hours.....watch a movie off it, nothing more other then that.

I was eavesdropping on the clerks at a local Gamestop and they were telling everyone that walk-in buyers for the '360 would have to wait until February or so...Does that mean that defective units won't be replaced until then also?

While my Xbox360 heats up, I honestly haven't had ANY problems what so ever, maybe because I'm not a hardcore gamer? But I really play like maybe.....30 minutes at the most at a time, every couple of hours.....watch a movie off it, nothing more other then that.

Likewise, and I've pretty much been playing with it every waking hour since I got it, outside of those wretched hours spent at work.

I was eavesdropping on the clerks at a local Gamestop and they were telling everyone that walk-in buyers for the '360 would have to wait until February

That's what we're estimating, based on how many preorders we have left to fill, and assuming Microsoft supplies us with 20 a week every week until we reach a point where we have 6-8 on hand at any given time.

Does that mean that defective units won't be replaced until then also?

Yes and no. Gamestop can't replace a defective item if there's no units in stock. But Microsoft is providing their own options. The console is warrantied for 90 days, and I'm assuming you got the same extended service contract offer in your box that I did (about $60 for two years). Microsoft says if you have a defective unit, to call their service number, and a pre-paid box will be overnighted to you. You put the 360 in the box, send it out, and a repaired/replaced console is supposed to return ro you within five days.

Likewise, and I've pretty much been playing with it every waking hour since I got it, outside of those wretched hours spent at work.

347413[/snapback]

So which games did you get? Also, was DOA available at launch and I just missed out, or is December 7th the actual release date? One last thing: you obviously hate working at Gamestop, I guess I should really think twice about applying there. On the surface, it seems like a dream job you know...

when is it expectrd to be more available?

Rumors have it after the Christmas Holidays, between Janurary and Feburary...

347377[/snapback]

They'll be out before Christmas :rolleyes: , the xbox 360 I mean ;) .

Well, there is word that retailers are getting shipments every week. It's just that places like 'EB and Gamestop have to use those weekly shipments to fulfill backlogged pre-orders. Your best bet would be checking out a retail store like Target, Best Buy or one of those types of places...

So which games did you get? Also, was DOA available at launch and I just missed out, or is December 7th the actual release date? One last thing: you obviously hate working at Gamestop, I guess I should really think twice about applying there. On the surface, it seems like a dream job you know...

I think DOA4 is actually coming out December 2nd...the end of next week.

Okay wait wait wait.....just checked GS website........either 12/1 or 12/8.....I hate it when that site isn't fuly updated.

Edited by Hikuro

Well, there is word that retailers are getting shipments every week.  It's just that places like 'EB and Gamestop have to use those weekly shipments to fulfill backlogged pre-orders.  Your best bet would be checking out a retail store like Target, Best Buy or one of those types of places...

347470[/snapback]

uhm.. your avatar is distracting me :blink:

She's cute, huh? I was hoping you guys could tell me-I was just googling for naked girls and found her....

Anyway, I take it then that DOA was not available at launch then? I knew that guy in front of me was full of it-how can there be only 1 copy of a game available at opening?

Edited by myk

The game IS technically available. During the 360 launches secret location on Tech TV, there was a playable version of DO4, but it wasn't released to the full public like you or I.....so yes, that guy was bsing you to look "cool" cause you weren't gonna get it.

Course it sort of irks me off that now I gotta wait ANOTHER week if its coming out the 8th which is really the 9th when it'll be available.

Does anyone have their console vertically oriented? Unlike the PS2, any disc that you place on the 360's tray goes on the right-handed, outer-side of the tray when the console sits vertically; it's a little odd and I find myself having to reach around the tray to place the disc properly...Just a minor gripe...

All of the Best Buys did that, which is why I didn't camp out in front of one. I didn't want to buy the system and then $400 worth of stuff I didn't want or need. I believe Circuit City and other electronic stores did the same thing, selling their systems in bundles only, although I don't think they made the mistake of advertising the system at its Core and Premium price levels. Best Buy really does blow...