The Xbox 360 Thread!

My PSX has been in its transparent purple case since it was 2 weeks old. Though it doesn't light up. (I play games in the dark a lot--I don't want anything more than small indicator lights)

I almost put my Dreamcast in a clear teal case, but "everyone" said it was almost impossible to get around the modem and you'd likely crack the case, so I never got one. Much later I was bored and popped open my DC and found it wasn't hard at all to totally disassemble the case--but by then cases were gone. The modem in mine was made by Rockwell, btw. Anyone know of a current source for clear Dreamcast cases? I am sick of its pale greyness after all these years. (it's not white, it's really pale grey) I'm NEVER getting rid of my Dreamcast---Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram alone is worth keeping it. Plus Soul Calibur 1 and JSR.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I can't believe some people were stupid enough to move their x360 while a disc was spinning in it. It's common sense not to move CD\DVD players while there's a spinning disc inside UNLESS the device is *specifically* designed to handle movement (like a discman). Sorry, but if someone's x360 got scratched because they moved it, then they deserve to be laughed at. Now if the disc got scratched outside of user-error...

That is unbelievable, but what they say about hardware in the military applies to consumer devices as well: it takes a brilliant team of minds and millions of dollars to develop something, but it only takes one ignorant kid to run it into the ground...

Another thing I find unbelievable is some of the criticism that has been aimed at some of the launch titles. For example, it's been said that Project Gotham 3 and Need for Speed are just more polished versions of the former systems that now benefit from the 360's new hardware. Well DUH, those are racing games. You get in a car and drive it to the point of victory. What did they expect? What were they hoping to see? Other than highly improved graphics there's nothing more to see. The same would apply to Call of Duty, Perfect Joanna, or whatever it's called, and any other game. Racing games have racing, shooting games have shooting, sports games have.....sporting; other than improved graphics there isn't much more that you can do with genre specific games...

Man sues Microsoft over alleged Xbox 360 glitch.

Surprised MGREXX didn't post this here first! :p I wonder where this guy was when all the glitchy PS2's were happening at it's launch. :rolleyes:

Again, the problem a lot of these people are having is that they are sticking their 360's, along with "the brick", right into a compacted space in their entertainment units with virtually no ventalation.

PS

That is one sweet looking 360 case! :)

Edited by Apollo Leader

Surprised MGREXX didn't post this here first! :p  I wonder where this guy was when all the glitchy PS2's were happening at it's launch. :rolleyes:

Again, the problem a lot of these people are having is that they are sticking their 360's, along with "the brick", right into a compacted space in their entertainment units with virtually no ventalation.

349800[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so concerned unless it becomes class action lawsuit.

Was in Wal-Mart today getting winter washer fluid for my car, and saw their 360 display today (just stuck in the glass case with all the other games). Anyways, I can SWEAR I felt the heat emanating off it as I walked by. Walked by the PS2 and GC to confirm, and it did seem that was it. Also--I noticed Wal-Mart had the "sleeker" blacker powerbrick, as opposed to the local BestBuy's greyer, blockier powerbrick. (Though they're always hard to see, tucked away)

I've seriously though about adding some L-brackets to the side of my dresser, and mounting my future 360's powerbrick there. It'd have like 98% of the surface area exposed, and away from everything else with plenty of airflow. Most of my cables are routed in that area anyways, just on the floor. Anyone know what the PS3 will do for power? Giant power brick, small brick, Wall-mount AC adapter, internal? Might just go ahead and make 2 bracket-shelves...

On the consumer side of the fence, which includes all of us and that angry 360 owner, his complaint about the '360 is completely valid, as the unit tends to overheat if the ambient temperature is anything over 0-kelvin. However, the '360 does include what every other appliance or consumer good that has the potential for a lawsuit-an instruction manual. In the 360's manual it clearly states that adequate ventilation has to be provided, or else....

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've owned every console since the NES and I NEVER provided adequate ventilation for any of them: on the carpet, under clothes, in the sun outdoors, in a cabinet, by a heater, activated 24/7, etc; I never had any problems, certainly not the ones that people are having now with the '360.

Microsoft has always known that the '360 would have heat issues, but of course they had to rush this thing out before the holidays and definitely before the PS9 or whatever comes out next year. I'll bet anything that in the months or years to come, there will be different versions of the '360 that feature enhanced cooling capabilities that will reduce or eliminate the problems that we're facing now. I guess Dave's already seen a power supply revision? Why would stores get a different power supply? Lol, I think Microsoft was definitely aware of heat issues for their baby...

This guy is right, but Microsoft will be protected by their manual which is a legal document. Also consider that only a small percentage of owners, 15% or so, are experiencing problems, and that is well within an acceptable failure rate for a device. The only thing that Microsft will have to deal with is negative public opinion for now, but with their money and their potential for making more of it, I'm sure they really don't care about what people think of them...

Edited by myk

You know, I'm REALLY starting to get pissed off with Tecmo. What in the hell is the problem that they can't release DO4?!

It'll be a month after the 360's release date and they'll probably push it back AGAIN.

I was wondering why I didn't get a phonecall today till just 5 minutes ago I looked back at the GS website seeing 12/22 as the release date........Merry Freakin Christmas!

He was here earlier today...

Anyway, DOA has been pushed to the 22nd? I read somewhere that Tecmo was working on last-minute online tweaks. Silly me for placing a pre-order...

Surprised MGREXX didn't post this here first! :p  I wonder where this guy was when all the glitchy PS2's were happening at it's launch. :rolleyes:

PS

That is one sweet looking 360 case! :)

349800[/snapback]

<_< I wouldn't be surprised if he is the one making the sue or the guy moving around th X-Box while a disc is spinning :p

I don`t know if it`s true or not, from magicbox :

RUMOR: The pop diva Madonna trashed her free Xbox 360 in a Japanese dumpster, according to the Madonna blog page. (Uncertain whether this is truly her blog page)

Xbox 360 Degrees! [Posted on Dec 6, 2005

http://madonnasthoughts.blogspot.com/

I received my FREE Xbox 360 yesterday! Too bad though. The thing over-heated and doesn't work. I was going to play a game with my friends in Japan, but it crashed on us. The power supply on this device is HUGE! At least I know why they called it the Xbox 360 and not the Xbox 2. The damn thing gets up to about 360 DEGREES!!!! It's frightening!

Oh well. My Xbox 360 is in a Japanese dumpster. I just don't have time to fool with getting it replaced. I'm not much into TV or video games anyways. My children aren't allowed to play them either. I guess they were dumb to give me one knowing that I don't really have any use for them. I know they gave them to other celebrities as well. Paris Hilton got one. Barf. That's even more reason to trash the glitchy console!

And I wasn't fully aware of how stuck up and snobish she really was till now..................no wait, it was during her Japanese press conference where she nearly snapped when someone asked how much her husband hated one of her songs or something.

But uh yeah...........DOA4..........delayed.........another 2 weeks.......fun................I don't know why if its the online play fine......but its not like I can play online anyways.

Got my first chance to play a 360 last night, as my buddy that bought one invited me over to check it out. The TV we were using wasnt great, but I could still tell the graphics in games like PGR3 and PD0 were nice. I loved the controller, easily the best controller I've used since the Saturn's. All the little extras were nice too... turning on the system from the controller, XBOX Arcade (which I imagine will be awesome in a few years) and so forth.

Now all it needs are some really impressive games to take advantage of it...

Skull Leader Posted Yesterday, 07:45 PM

I seriously doubt that was really Madonna. I imagine she's got bigger things on her mind than next-gen gaming. It's an Xbox hater I'm pretty sure.

Not too mention, who really even listens to her anymore? :huh: I never thought her music was that good after the late 80's........she's just old, horrible actor, and she's not as attractive as she was back when she was in her late 20's.

yellowlightman Posted Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Got my first chance to play a 360 last night, as my buddy that bought one invited me over to check it out. The TV we were using wasnt great, but I could still tell the graphics in games like PGR3 and PD0 were nice. I loved the controller, easily the best controller I've used since the Saturn's. All the little extras were nice too... turning on the system from the controller, XBOX Arcade (which I imagine will be awesome in a few years) and so forth.

Now all it needs are some really impressive games to take advantage of it...

I actually feel the same, the controler I think is probably one of the best I've ever held in a long time. It's very light and its not gigantic or thick, its just right in my opinion.

And just like I told that fag few months back, it's a factory wireless, not a second or third party deal "approved" by Microsoft or what ever, so you know the tech is good.

When I first got my 360 my friend and I spent 30 minutes trying to get the spare wireless working till it dawned on me to use the sync buttons off the system and controler.........I can't believe I forgot about that.

Sounds like Japan is weighing in to the X360... and numbers are lower than they were for the first Xbox? So much for making that "big" first impression Microsoft was hoping for in Japan...

LOL, they probably have consoles lining the shelves, while we have parents sacrificing each other to unholy gods of darkness to find one before Christmas here... sweet irony! :)

Edited by Skull Leader

Sounds like Japan is weighing in to the X360... and numbers are lower than they were for the first Xbox? So much for making that "big" first impression Microsoft was hoping for in Japan...

LOL, they probably have consoles lining the shelves, while we have parents sacrificing each other to unholy gods of darkness to find one before Christmas here... sweet irony! :)

352079[/snapback]

Again, not surprising since certain key games like DOA4 weren't available at launch. I don't think the 360 will be the number 1 system in a few years, but I think Microsoft is going to take a bigger bite out of the console gaming market this time around.

I finally have put more time into my 360 this past week and my system is holding out just fine. :) Makes a good hair dryer, too! :D

Could you even consider Nintendo still being a competitor in this next gen war? ......if you look at it, more and more games for SONY and Microsoft are aimed more towards teens and adults with shooting, sims, fight games ect....while Nintendo though released a few mature titles with the Gamecube, just seems to be aiming to much towards the younger crowds and not appealing towards its original customers, those of us who saw the first nintendo back in the mid 80's....

But back on topic with the 360, its release in Japan just sucks, but I expected something close to this. I think the big draw back was no release of DOA4, like I said, I'm really pissed at Tecmo for delaying it an entire month after the systems release.

i was just reading thru GI that the next generation dvd will only be for movies and is not for Games. if and when HD dvd drives appear on the system, game producers wont/ cant take advantage of th new discs. So the war between blue ray and Hd dvd seems to have shifted since Xbox 360 isn't supporting it as much as i thought. i was under the impression that HD dvd was gonna win since Bgates was for it. Although its still way to early to tell how this will really affect things. Xbox game makes are forced to stay on standard dvd disc and games in the future will be on multiple discs

Edited by Macross73

i was just reading thru GI that the next generation dvd will only be for movies and is not for Games. if and when HD dvd drives appear on the system, game producers wont/ cant take advantage of th new discs. So the war between blue ray and Hd dvd seems to have shifted since Xbox 360 isn't supporting it as much as i thought. i was under the impression that HD dvd was gonna win since Bgates was for it. Although its still way to early to tell how this will really affect things. Xbox game makes are forced to stay on standard dvd disc and games in the future will be on multiple discs

352227[/snapback]

I can't see how it'd only be for movies. It's MS we're talking about here; they know their computers (360 is just a bleeding edge PC, like the PS3 will be). They're trying to promote High-Def. here; I can't imagine them limiting their systems like that. You don't see them limiting their OSs from being able to use all the new high-tech gadgets, that'd hurt their business.

Could you even consider Nintendo still being a competitor in this next gen war? ......if you look at it, more and more games for SONY and Microsoft are aimed more towards teens and adults with shooting, sims, fight games ect....while Nintendo though released a few mature titles with the Gamecube, just seems to be aiming to much towards the younger crowds and not appealing towards its original customers, those of us who saw the first nintendo back in the mid 80's....

But back on topic with the 360, its release in Japan just sucks, but I expected something close to this.  I think the big draw back was no release of DOA4, like I said, I'm really pissed at Tecmo for delaying it an entire month after the systems release.

352224[/snapback]

I don't think there's any reason to write off Nintendo, for whatever it's worth (and I personally won't be trying it), they're just trying to freshen things up with a new concept or two (Nintendo has always been fond of introducing new media into the gaming experience, for better or worse)

back on topic though- I will be interested to see what happens when the trend is reversed and the PS3 is released in the US, if it will have as poor a showing here in the US as the X360 had in Japan (I'm thinking not... I'm predicting the PS3 will come out of the proveribal corner absolutely smokin'). Goes to show that MS may be capable of producing a fine game machine, but it takes more than an early product release to dislodge a diehard system fanbase. The PS2 still has plenty of life left in it, and plenty of innovative games will likely hit the shelf for it between now and the time the PS3 rolls.

Micronuts did another no-no by pretty much axing their ENTIRE support of the original X-box before the 360 has a firm software base beneath it. No more titles planned for it, no more consoles produced, nothing... what's out there is what there is (although to be fair, that's quite a lot)

Edited by Skull Leader

I don't think there's any reason to write off Nintendo, for whatever it's worth (and I personally won't be trying it), they're just trying to freshen things up with a new concept or two (Nintendo has always been fond of introducing new media into the gaming experience, for better or worse)

I'm pretty sure they've gone on record saying they don't intend to fight a battle out with Microsoft and Sony, just as well because ultimately they won't win against that market. Sony and MS can outspend Nintendo many times over. Not to mention, it's pretty clear that the Revolution isn't going after the typical video game market.

back on topic though- I will be interested to see what happens when the trend is reversed and the PS3 is released in the US, if it will have as poor a showing here in the US as the X360 had in Japan (I'm thinking not... I'm predicting the PS3 will come out of the proveribal corner absolutely smokin'). Goes to show that MS may be capable of producing a fine game machine, but it takes more than an early product release to dislodge a diehard system fanbase. The PS2 still has plenty of life left in it, and plenty of innovative games will likely hit the shelf for it between now and the time the PS3 rolls.

I would question the existence of a Playstation "fanbase." If there are people that truly believe the PS2 is the superior system, they have been duped into thinking so.. much like millions of people are duped into believing they need a new version of Madden every year. Ultimately, if the 360 can deliver solid games and the media doesn't lick Sony's ass, theres no reason that people wouldn't jump ship. The Playstation brand is kind of like Windows in that people use it because it's the dominant force and has the most software, not because it's the best or inherently likeable.

There is a fundamental difference between MS and Sony right now and that is that MS is TRYING to win over gamers and Sony is top dog and doesn't need to try as hard. Eventually that'll catch up to them, much like it caught up with Nintendo.

352227[/snapback]

I can't see how it'd only be for movies. It's MS we're talking about here; they know their computers (360 is just a bleeding edge PC, like the PS3 will be). They're trying to promote High-Def. here; I can't imagine them limiting their systems like that. You don't see them limiting their OSs from being able to use all the new high-tech gadgets, that'd hurt their business.

352248[/snapback]

No, it's true, and it's good business sense. If you have multiple formats, then you have to release the games in multiple formats for the people who bought an Xbox 360. The games are already in HD anyway, it's only movies that are lacking (and there are actually some DVDs in HD... mostly Discovery channel specials and stuff).

And frankly, the read rates on these brand new players will be atrociously slow. While you don't need a fast one for movies, and you can upgrade your computer's drives, you're stuck with the slow ones (like the 2x that's supposed to be in the PS3). Games have better load times for being on DVD.

Not to mention that they're still working out the bugs on both formats, and no clear winner has been decided yet.

I would question the existence of a Playstation "fanbase." If there are people that truly believe the PS2 is the superior system, they have been duped into thinking so.. much like millions of people are duped into believing they need a new version of Madden every year. Ultimately, if the 360 can deliver solid games and the media doesn't lick Sony's ass, theres no reason that people wouldn't jump ship. The Playstation brand is kind of like Windows in that people use it because it's the dominant force and has the most software, not because it's the best or inherently likeable.

352263[/snapback]

Not a fanbase in the sense that you're thinking, rather the fanbase that believes they've yet to be given a real reason to upgrade. Not everyone blindly follows Sony (or as in your example of Windows) without knowing that systems true capabilities or limits. For example, I know that the PS2 is not graphically as capable as the Xbox is, but a) I don't have HD Tv, so the higher-end Xbox stuff wouldn't help me if I had one, and b)It doesn't have to be the highest-end machine to be a seriously quality gaming machine (which the PS2 is). If the PS2 had any superiority over the Xbox (and I believe to a limited extent, it did), it was in 3rd party support. The variety and size of the PS2 gaming library completely owns the Xbox one. It goes back to what I was saying before the 360 came out... I'd much rather have a library FILLED with a lot of "really good" games over a much smaller library with only a couple of "absolutely must-own" games and then a ton of pathetic sports games. it's BECAUSE it has that large library that makes it inherently likable.

That's just a personal opinion, and again I was only trying to point out that not all of the Sony fanbase are drooling feeble-minded donkeys who can't think for themselves. If the Xbox360 truly had something worth leaving Sony for, they would've done it.

-Is the X360 an excellent gaming machine? My play time on one has been serverely limited, but so far yeah.

-Will it dislodge Sony as the dominant gaming force in Japan? I seriously doubt it. We'll have to see how well the PS3 performs before it can truly be determined

352227[/snapback]

352248[/snapback]

No, it's true, and it's good business sense. If you have multiple formats, then you have to release the games in multiple formats for the people who bought an Xbox 360. The games are already in HD anyway, it's only movies that are lacking (and there are actually some DVDs in HD... mostly Discovery channel specials and stuff).

And frankly, the read rates on these brand new players will be atrociously slow. While you don't need a fast one for movies, and you can upgrade your computer's drives, you're stuck with the slow ones (like the 2x that's supposed to be in the PS3). Games have better load times for being on DVD.

Not to mention that they're still working out the bugs on both formats, and no clear winner has been decided yet.

352323[/snapback]

It wouldn't be smart to enable playing games on HD-DVDs? I figure if they're going have an HD-DVD player in their console, you'd at least enable it to play games on HD-DVDs as well. I mean...HD-DVDs do have more space than regular DVDs, right?

DAMMIT! THEY PUSHED BACK DOA4 AGAIN TILL THE END OF THE MONTH! GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TECMO!

352467[/snapback]

For God's sake, screw the online tweaks, just release the damn thing already. Besides, they can always release a DOA4 Ultimate Championship Hyperfighting Turbo Deluxe Final-Death Black Edition with limited Girls of DOA Volleyball Maui Edition Calendar much later, with whatever tweaks that they didn't have time for...

Hey Mike, can you confirm this latest delay?

Edited by myk