Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

[

I'd pay mad bucks to hear Reba's rendition of "Do You Remember Love"! Hee, hee!!

334256[/snapback]

You should impale youself for that bad joke. :D

335185[/snapback]

Which is what fans will probably end up doing if that were to be :ph34r:

... that, or rip their ears off.

335266[/snapback]

LOL!!! :lol:

Thanks, I was playing Hikaru, always wanted to be him.  There were two girls playing Minmay, one of them is studying to become a professional and has worked in radio and commericals.  The other is just a simple girl.

335178[/snapback]

The guy doing your Focker sounds like what were to happen if a clone was made using BOTH Beavis and Butthead genes! At least Beavis anyway. ;)

Also whoever was playing Minmay's aunt sounded like she was calling her Min-my! But hey nice work at trying to do your own dub. :)

I think the woman I had as Minmay's aunt was maybe british, but she also played the boy, so I don't know....

I have ONE more dub from Episode 2 where I had another girl playing Minmay instead....can't find the link.

It was actually interesting to do the scenes cause I had so many people who had never EVER seen Macross except one person. She's a professional actress with FUNImation who I do alot of fandubbing projects with.

She is a huge Macross fan and likes playing as Minmay. I had her do a test scene where she's chewing out the kid for wanting another soda, she did really well, and in some respect, much nicer then Reba West.

I also had another Roy Fokker who was just about perfect and he was a member here at one point. We tackled one full scene and that was that.

I've gone thru 4 Minmays, and 3 Roy Fokker's, its hard to keep a group together.

I even had a semi pro do Shin Kudou's voice for the opening of Macross Zero, then he was never seen again.

Personally, I'm not too wild about the idea. I just hope ADV does it justice but I'm not to fond of their dubbing usually. Their casting is rarely good. Usually if they work with unknowns, I've noticed that it tends to be better. I'm just tired of hearing the same VAs over and over again. That, and I tend to asociate VAs with characters, since english voices are so recognizable, so it's distracting. I can't watch Last Exile dubbed without think Hellsing(not a good thing). It's part of the reason I prefer subs. Some seiyuu are just bsuperb at changing their voice.

I'm just going to finish up collecting the Animeigo set. While a dub might help sell it better, most dub-only fans I've found hate old animation. It's not fluid enough for them. So really, all this does is broaden the market a little. Most of that already comes from the fact that ADV titles get better distro than Animeigo ones, dub aside.

I agree with Myriad. At least now there will be an option other than The Macross Saga for those that can't handle subtitles.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

If these links get deleted off by the mods its fine, ppl can just PM me and I'll give it to them.

But if your curious how a Dubbed Macross would sound, here's some scenes friends of mine and I did using AnimEgo's easteregg bonus.

HIKURO'S MACROSS DUB 1

HIKURO'S MACROSS DUB 2

Both these links should still work, and I worked very hard on doing a decent job at these.

But this would give you an idea of how it would sort of go.  And I'm still continueing on doing these as sort of a demo reel to help me become a professional voice actor and make alot of you guys proud of SOME dubbed anime.

335145[/snapback]

The voices for Minmay and Hikaru are actually quite good, but Roy's voice doesn't fit. Still, a very good fan made work and much better than you know what.

The voices for Minmay and Hikaru are actually quite good, but Roy's voice doesn't fit.  Still, a very good fan made work and much better than you know what.

335555[/snapback]

Hikaru... sounds, dare I say it, a lot like Tony Oliver. Not that I consider that a bad thing. Misa's voice is not too shabby either.

-Al

The voices for Minmay and Hikaru are actually quite good, but Roy's voice doesn't fit.  Still, a very good fan made work and much better than you know what.

Tell me about it. No offense to you or your friend , Hikuro, but your friend Ry-Guy sounds like what I would imagine the McGruff the crime fighter dog sounds like playing a drunken combat pilot.

I have some questions:

Is the guy who did Ben/Kakizaki's voice in robotech the same guy who did Guld in macross plus?

I've heard that guy in lots of anime I've watched. Ghost in the shell SAC, Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, argh can't escape thinking Guld Bowman is being reincarnated as different people.

I even saw this H anime once where the guy who does Yugioh plays the character. It's really funny thinking that yugioh would do something like that in his spare time. haha I think they need to get some totally new people and experiment. It's very distracting.

Whoever did kamjin/khyron in robotech I think they should just use him again and maybe get the guy who did Guld in macross plus to do Britai this time.

The guy with the british accent (is he even british?) sound great for khyron/kamjin. I can't imagine another person as him. It's hard to erase the memory you have of the character you first heard the voice from when the same voice is used for new characters. Like when I saw macross plus dub, I kept thinking why is Roy trapped inside Yang Neuman's body?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I have some questions:

Is the guy who did Ben/Kakizaki's voice in robotech the same guy who did Guld in macross plus?

I've heard that guy in lots of anime I've watched. Ghost in the shell SAC, Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, argh can't escape thinking Guld Bowman is being reincarnated as different people.

335642[/snapback]

Yes it is - Richard Epcar who will be voicing Vince Grant in RT-Shadow Chronicles.

Whoever did kamjin/khyron in robotech I think they should just use him again and maybe get the guy who did Guld in macross plus to do Britai this time.

335642[/snapback]

That is Greg Snegoff - he also did Scott Bernard in Robotech.

While i dont care about a dubbed version i really hope it will expand the fan base to the casual anime viewer. Maybe if its picked up to be shown on TV the popularity will go up and we will have an inflow of Macross merchandise in the US. Ive always wanted the Macross novels to be translated to english. I dont think it will ever happen though. Heres hoping for the best.

Where I see SDF Macross suffering IMHO, is the pacing of much of the dialogue. Since anime was less technologically advanced back then, I think the voice actors, both American and Japanese, tended to over emote. I've always felt good dialogue has a certain rhythm to it. For example, Fight Club had some very sharp dialogue in it, but it had good pacing too. There was a certain at ease rapport with Norton and Pitt, where the conversations had good payoffs. Maybe the best example of good dialogue and good pacing is the first couple of season of the West Wing. There was a tremendous amount of dialogue and exposition being tossed around but it never was overbearing and it never edged the line of insulting the audiences intelligence. The early opening shots of most season 1 and 2 WW episodes had rapid fire dialogue scenes. Each one building on the next, the way good pacing works for a well written show.

I'm just speechless at this point. To compare Macross dialogue unfavorably to West Wing and Fight Club. . . wtf? You do realize that nobody actually talks that way in real life, right? Aaron Sorkin has made a career out of these "rapid fire" snippy dialog shows. Did you ever watch Sportsnight? It was the same thing. Yes, it's fast-paced. Yes, it makes the people sound very bright as they trade barbs and information at nearly MACH 1. The problem is that after about four episodes of that, you realize that they are only sounding so bright and witty because they are actors reciting prepared lines. . . and that nobody really works or talks like that. Much less an entire "West Wing" or television production crew. And, after a while, it gets tired and old. Which, by the way, explains why West Wing largely abandoned the style (except brief homages for a few seconds every episode, usually with Josh and Donna involved. . . before they split).

Now, I like West Wing, Sportsnight, and Fight Club, but to hold them up as how to write good, natural dialog is just silly. That's the most un-natural dialog in recent memory.

Yes, the dialog in Macross is a bit campy. But, to say that it should be paced like conversations from West Wing. . . wow. Just. . . wow.

Edit: Sorry if the above came off overly harsh. We just rented the Sportsnight series on DVD. . . and hearing/seeing the West Wing-ish dialogue in its infancy (pre-WW) really got annoying after a while. It just seemed so contrived and unnatural. . . even my fiancee turned to me after a while and said: "Oh crap, here they go." And then I caught an old re-run of WW and there it was again to my recently re-tuned eyes/ears. It was terrible. But, as a political junkie, I still watch it. Especially now that they're essentially teaching an American civics lesson for the C-SPAN addicted every week this (and last) season, it's actually quite interesting again. . . and the dialoge doesn't go too overboard anymore.

H

Edited by Hurin

Did you ever watch Sportsnight

I loved that show. Damn shame it got canned.

Yes, it makes the people sound very bright as they trade barbs and information at nearly MACH 1. 

Exactly mach 1, actually. :D

Edit:  Sorry if the above came off overly harsh.  We just rented the Sportsnight series on DVD. . .

EVERYTHING comes out on DVD.

But then I knew that when God, the Devil, and Bob made it.

Question, have you seen DYRL or Zero? That's about as close as you're going to get with "re-inventing" the franchise, and that's as close as it "should" get. It's a classic series, admired by people who enjoyed what it was for its time. The franchise as a whole should be admired for the minimal amount of "re-inventing" that goes on in it.

If you want a franchise with something new & in style every couple of years, check out Gundam.

Changes to the score? Stop trying to rile people up, as no one has ever said that was going to happen. And seriously, even if it was just in the dub, "it's just a dub" no one who cares about a show cares about dubs anyway.

I personally don't think Macross needs a huge fan grabbing revival. At this point, if Nue wants to toss out a new OVA or movie every few years or so, then that's fine. If not, that's fine too. As far as I'm concerned, the story is told.

I guess thats why every new Gundam series has practically the same storyline with a whiny male protagonist?

Spoken like a person who hasn't actually watched any Gundam.

337748[/snapback]

Indeed.

Gundam Wing had FIVE whiny male protagonists. :)

I guess thats why every new Gundam series has practically the same storyline with a whiny male protagonist?

Spoken like a person who hasn't actually watched any Gundam.

337748[/snapback]

Gundam ceased to exist after Char's Counterattack, without Char and Amuro there isnt any point to continue.

But still. Whiny. Protagonsists. Every. Series.

That's not true at all. Victory & Turn A are great examples of Gundam without Amuro & Char. Hell, Zeta is a great example of Gundam without Amuro & Char, while they were "present," they were far from the focus.

Gundam ceased to exist after Char's Counterattack, without Char and Amuro there isnt any point to continue.

337890[/snapback]

Like I said, a comment obviously from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about - thank you for confirming that.

337890[/snapback]

Like I said, a comment obviously from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about - thank you for confirming that.

338036[/snapback]

Well, don't bother providing any evidence to the contrary or anything. That would be silly.

Sorry to but in here. I'll just leave my two cents about gundam and leave.

The problem with gundam. Every version of gundam I've seen has some kid who wasn't supposed to be able to pilot the most advanced weapon created (that being the gundam) turning out to be the only one who can pilot it. What about the soldiers who were training years to pilot it, you ask. Nope. They suck. This random child is the only one.

Now, I don't mind the whole giant robots thing. But some little kid being the best pilot for it, no sir. Thats where I draw the line.

Finally the new Macross DVDs with the dub are coming on January. Might preorder one DVD just to have the dub to compare it with Robocrap... er tech.

338054[/snapback]

:o Is that the first word of a release date? Source?