I just got back from seeing serenity and I absolutely loved it. Great mix of action, comedy, and drama. This was the anti Star Wars. Great way to wrap up the series. I think there is still alot of material left on the board if he wanted to return to it. But who knows, I think his slate is pretty busy between a Wonder woman movie and writing a second run on Astonishing X-men. I'm going to finish watching the last two dvds this weekend and probably buy my own. No one does dramatic/sudden deaths better than Whedon (Buffy's Mom, Doyle). I was really saddened by Book's death. I wanted to learn more about his connections to the alliance. I think it's somewhat obvious that the character probably became a sheperd in the first place to possibly make amends for sins/atorcities in a past life. Joss seems intrigued with reformed/ redeemed characters.

In regards to Mr. Universe being Jewish, so what if he is. I didn't see any negative stereotypes with the character(except those aimed at excessive fanboy i.e. comicbook guy types). I applaude Whedon's use of ethnicity throughout the series and the movie. It shows so insight esp. considering our ever changing demographics. Hollywood often forgets this fact when making films about the future.

Does anyone else think that the actress that plays Inara resembles the actress from Smallville? I think they could almost pass as sisters.

I just got back from seeing serenity and I absolutely loved it.  Great mix of action, comedy, and drama.  This was the anti Star Wars.  Great way to wrap up the series.  I think there is still alot of material left on the board if he wanted to return to it.  But who knows, I think his slate is pretty busy between a Wonder woman movie and writing a second run on Astonishing X-men.  I'm going to finish watching the last two dvds this weekend and probably buy my own.  No one does dramatic/sudden deaths better than Whedon  (Buffy's Mom, Doyle).  I was really saddened by Book's death.  I wanted to learn more about his connections to the alliance.  I think it's somewhat obvious that the character probably became a sheperd in the first place to possibly make amends for sins/atorcities in a past life.  Joss seems intrigued with reformed/ redeemed characters.

In regards to Mr. Universe being Jewish, so what if he is.  I didn't see any negative stereotypes with the character(except those aimed at excessive fanboy i.e. comicbook guy types).  I applaude Whedon's use of ethnicity throughout the series and the movie.  It shows so insight esp. considering our ever changing demographics.  Hollywood often forgets this fact when making films about the future.

Does anyone else think that the actress that plays Inara resembles the actress from Smallville?  I think they could almost pass as sisters.

334936[/snapback]

Hmm, i dont know about Smallville, but if u r talking about the Kristin girl from that show, well, she is way too hot to compare to the chic from Serenity. But i guess someone may see how they can be sisters.

post-366-1128743893.jpg

Hmm, i dont know about Smallville, but if u r talking about the Kristin girl from that show, well, she is way too hot to compare to the chic from Serenity. But i guess someone may see how they can be sisters.

334941[/snapback]

Yeah Kristin Kruek is who I meant, I forgot her name. I agree Kristin is way prettier, but I stilll think they resemble each other. Their hair and facial features share some similarities with each other.

Hmm, i dont know about Smallville, but if u r talking about the Kristin girl from  that show, well, she is way too hot to compare to the chic from Serenity. But i guess someone may  see how they can be sisters.

334941[/snapback]

Gotta disagree with ya on that one, I think Inara's got Kristin beat in both looks and acting, especially acting! And that pic doesn't really look like Kreuk, but I could be wrong.

Zoe (the wife of the guy who gets killed, Wash) does lose control for a moment. Yes, she's an ex-soldier (she served under Mal in the war), but she's human too. Humans have been known to lose composure due to grief.

Yeah but as a professional she would know not to screw it up for others. The I'm gonna get some reckless revenge is a stupid idea for a professional.

He's Jewish? I didn't get that at all. Even if he is, it's not the first time the setting has used straight-up Earth ethnic groups/cultures (in the TV series we had a cockney brit and US southerners, f'rex). I'm not sure of your point, though. Are you accusing the film of being anti-semetic?

Did you miss this wedding footage of him and his android? Note never saw the TV series. No I'm not accusing the film of being anti-semetic. I am accusing it like others of using sterotypes. Some things doesn't have don't have to be negiative to be cheap and weak. The sterotype that asians are really smart, get good grades and know martial arts is a positive stereotype but it's still a stereotype. Really are all Jews on film/TV a step or two from being like Woody Allen? Ethnicity can be included without being reduced to cheap stereo-type. Hey that one character has brownish skin. Could we give him a ethic name and maybe bit of accent to show his ethicity? Nah lets give him a turbin and have him act like Apu.

Finally a movie that treats its audience as intelligent viewers and doesn't feel it has to telegraph every freaking plot point. Just because Hollywood has completely forgotten the value of surprise doesn't mean we have to. Bringing it up earlier would have ruined that scene because we would have all seen it coming. No thanks.

Are you some kind of a flipping idiot? Sure it was a surprize but clearly it was a weak last minute save. Here's a made up example...

"What you're alive I set you on fire?"

"Yes! Years ago I sprayed my clothes with an anti-flame agent"

Yeah but as a professional she would know not to screw it up for others.  The I'm gonna get some reckless revenge is a stupid idea for a professional.

335062[/snapback]

You know, the purely professional character is a cool archetype, and the operative in the film really pulls it off, but having a character behave like a real human being is much better, especially for protagonists. See, in the real world, people have these things called emotions and they sometimes over power our better judgement.

Did you miss this wedding footage of him and his android?  Note never saw the TV series.  No I'm not accusing the film of being anti-semetic.  I am accusing it like others of using sterotypes.  Some things doesn't have don't have to be negiative to be cheap and weak.  The  sterotype that asians are really smart, get good grades and know martial arts is a positive stereotype but it's still a stereotype.  Really are all Jews on film/TV a step or two from being like Woody Allen?  Ethnicity can be included without being reduced to cheap stereo-type.  Hey that one character has brownish skin.  Could we give him a ethic name and maybe bit of accent to show his ethicity?  Nah lets give him a turbin and have him act like Apu.

I forgot about the wedding, yes, but I'm still failing to see what stereotype you're bitching about here? I'm not aware that "Jews are all neo-anarchists who believe in freedom of information" is a commonly held belief.

Are you some kind of a flipping idiot?

I'm not, but thanks for asking, a-hole.

Sure it was a surprize but clearly it was a weak last minute save.  Here's a made up example...

"What you're alive I set you on fire?"

"Yes! Years ago I sprayed my clothes with an anti-flame agent"

If the plot elements (such as they are for the situation in Serenity) make that a likely possibility, then no I don't have a problem with it. As I said, I prefer to be treated as an intelligent viewer, and not have my hand held by the director all the way through.

know, the purely professional character is a cool archetype, and the operative in the film really pulls it off, but having a character behave like a real human being is much better, especially for protagonists. See, in the real world, people have these things called emotions and they sometimes over power our better judgement.

That only happens in the movies. Look at the recent hurricanes there were plenty of reports of people whose job it was to help people who stayed at their job when most likely they wanted to be with their own. How many soldiers in Iraq right now would rather be home? These people put other before them because it's there job. Yes not all stayed. I can excuse a unprofessional character for losing it but a professonial losing it like so in a movie? She nearly got them all killed.

If another character died because of her reckless actions they should have then had her blow her brains out of guilt ;)

I forgot about the wedding, yes, but I'm still failing to see what stereotype you're bitching about here? I'm not aware that "Jews are all neo-anarchists who believe in freedom of information" is a commonly held belief.

I'm talking about the sterotypical Jew in general. No not just Jewish lawyer or Doctor but that New York nebish (spelling) cut from the same cloth as Woody Allen, George and Jerry (from Seinfield). You can have

characters of different ethic group portrayed in media without having to have them, Jew-it, Jap-it or Black-it up. If you were to make a list of actors that are least part jewish you would have a very long list. If you then made a list or actors who play Jewish characters the list would be much shorter. If you made a list of Japanese actors in hollywood production you would have a short list. If you made a list of actors who played a Japanese character you'd have a long list with few of them actually being Japanese. Audience or Film makers think people are stupid. If you seen one asian you've seen them all. That actress doesn't look Jewish enough, find me a ugly woman with a thick accent. Look at Italian actors. The men all look like heavies and the women fat ugly mama types. Consider the Miss Universe contest. There are some damn fine fine looking women out there around the globe but the Hollywood stereotype would make you believe certain woman are ugly.

If the plot elements (such as they are for the situation in Serenity) make that a likely possibility, then no I don't have a problem with it.

A likely possibility? Sure it's likey but is a pretty cheap solution but if it it works for your simple mind....

Now I'm running out of time here so I'll let any boob who wants to speak for me until I get back. Be sure to include phases like,

"Stop sniffing your own crotch!"

"Of course I'm right!"

"I can't help being so attractive!"

"Think I give a rats ass?"

"Lets make love."

UH, hey guys, its just a movie, no sense in over analyzing it, lol. I finally got to watch all the episodes finally, the series was well written, i liked it alot, no wonder there is such a fan base. Also, if anyone wants to download all the episodes, the quality is nice, also the original pilot and outakes, most in real media player format, and the rest in quicktime. If you do like real media , like me, i perosnally hate it, use real alternitive, no crazy system take overs or codec problems.

Firefly episodes

Real Player Alternative

know, the purely professional character is a cool archetype, and the operative in the film really pulls it off, but having a character behave like a real human being is much better, especially for protagonists. See, in the real world, people have these things called emotions and they sometimes over power our better judgement.

That only happens in the movies.   Look at the recent hurricanes there were plenty of reports of people whose job it was to help people who stayed at their job when most likely they wanted to be with their own.   How many soldiers in Iraq right now would rather be home?   These people put other before them because it's there job.  Yes not all stayed.  I can excuse a unprofessional character for losing it but a professonial losing it like so in a movie?  She nearly got them all killed. 

If another character died because of her reckless actions they should have then had her blow her brains out of guilt ;)

I'm talking about the sterotypical Jew in general.  No not just Jewish lawyer or Doctor but that New York nebish (spelling) cut from the same cloth as Woody Allen, George and Jerry (from Seinfield).   You can have

characters of different ethic group portrayed in media without having to have them, Jew-it, Jap-it or Black-it up.   If you were to make a list of actors that are least part jewish you would have a very long list.  If you then made a list or actors who play Jewish characters the list would be much shorter.  If you made a list of Japanese actors in hollywood production you would have a short list.  If you made a list of actors who played a Japanese character you'd have a long list with few of them actually being Japanese.   Audience or Film makers think people are stupid.  If you seen one asian you've seen them all.   That actress doesn't look Jewish enough, find me a ugly woman with a thick accent.  Look at Italian actors.  The men all look like heavies and the women fat ugly mama types.   Consider the Miss Universe contest.   There are some damn fine fine looking women out there around the globe but the Hollywood stereotype would make you believe certain woman are ugly.

If the plot elements (such as they are for the situation in Serenity) make that a likely possibility, then no I don't have a problem with it.

A likely possibility?  Sure it's likey but is a pretty cheap solution but if it it works for your simple mind....

Now I'm running out of time here so I'll let any boob who wants to speak for me until I get back.  Be sure to include phases like,

"Stop sniffing your own crotch!"

"Of course I'm right!"

"I can't help being so attractive!"

"Think I give a rats ass?"

"Lets make love."

335169[/snapback]

I think that you make some good points. Your points about the depiction of beauty are spot on. I think there is some slight evidence that this may be changing somewhat though. Jennifer Lopez usually is tops in worldwide polls for the sexiest woman alive. There aren't any famous white women that are built like her and paraded around as being sexy. Different cultures around the globe have varying standards for physical attractiveness. Stereotypes will always be very intrinsic to the human condition sadly to say, But I still am missing your point about Mr. Universe. How did the character 'Jew it up' as you say? You still haven't clarified how Mr U. did this. I failed to see how he portrayed a Stereotypical Jew as you say. If they made the character a lawyer, and he was plotting against both Mal and the Alliance to come out ahead to serve his own interest, then I think you might have a point. None of the characters in the film are truely good in the classical sense. I think he was a stereotype of fanboy types that live with their parents, have no life and the only women they get are those in magazines or inflatable dolls. The whole breaking the wedding glasses to me demonstrated how much this fictionalized world is similar to our own. People in the future still cling to long established cultural traditions.

I think Zoes reaction to her husbands death was totally warranted. I don't care how professional you claim to be, if you see a loved one killed or injured you are going to react. Wash was her future. You can argue that she no longer had a reason to go on. The movie and series est. the notion to engage the reavers is worse than suicide. Besides, her character was simply responding to the situation that was dealt to them. It wouldn't have been her fault if any of the crew were killed. Everyone knew that they had a very slim chance at best to survive the situation. On the other side of the Hurricane analogy you used, were documented reports of N.O. police officers who failed to show up to work b/c they were too busy worrying about their own families. Why do think there are so many reports yr and yr out of seemingly normal soccer moms and dads going apeshit once little johnny or sue gets hurt or shafted in a sporting event? People have a tendency to lose their minds when family is involved.

Edited by Golden Arms

UH, hey guys, its just a movie, no sense in over analyzing it, lol. I finally got to watch all the episodes finally, the series was well written, i liked it alot, no wonder there is such a fan base. Also, if anyone wants to download all the episodes, the quality is nice, also the original pilot and outakes, most in real media player format, and the rest in quicktime. If you do like real media , like me, i perosnally hate it, use real alternitive, no crazy system take overs or codec problems.

335174[/snapback]

Dude! Lets not talk of downloading the series here. Even though I didn't buy the DVD set ( Netflixed it and will eventually buy it) the movie was made based on the popularity of the DVD and its strong sales. Downloading it defeats the purpose.

I know, people are still gonna download it... it's just like Mr. Universe said... you can't stop the signal. But let's not encourage it here. ;)

Editted to remove the links from my quote.

Edited by >EXO<

The Zoe losing it is very true...I've seen it happen to people...and in my job, I'm not in the movies.

Though I suppose people might think it was, since most people never experience or view things like this first hand.

Uh, yah downloading it would seem inappropiate, but as i read up in the Browncoat forums, which is where i got the link, they want poeple to download it and share the movies with others, their words, not mine, so i agree taht downloading episodes would be wrong, but i still bought the dvd's in anycase. I for one support file sharing on many levels, but lets not get into that.

Edited by Mechwarrior

Uh, yah downloading it would seem inappropiate, but as i read up in the Browncoat forums, which is where i got the link, they want poeple to download it and share the movies with others, there words, not mine, so i agree taht downloading episodes would be wrong, but i still bought the dvd's in anycase. I for one support file sharing on many levels, but lets not get into that.

335184[/snapback]

Ah... OK... believe it or not I'm not a browncoat or do I go to that site... lol.

Are you some kind of a flipping idiot?  

Nice! A personal attack from a mod. This place is really going to the crapper.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
Edited by Myriad

My bad mechwarrior...Wow she looks much hotter in that pic than she ever did on Smallville, but I'm still stickin with Morena on most sexy :)

I'm of 2 minds about downolading episodes, my dvds have been circling around among my friends for a while now and thankfully Firefly starting to sweep A&M Galv, so I can understand people wanting to watch rather than buy, but at the same time I want the dvds to sell! Conundrum.... :(

Think I'll see it again tomorrow. I know I'm biased, but I love these characters. Maybe because I can relate to some of them...just like the new BSG....I know people like that at work (with the exception of Baltar...that cheeky monkey! :) ), who act the same way...and it really echoes the flaws in people that we exhibit.

I just saw the movie tonight and loved it. I was going to add a lengthy review to this thread, but it's clearly pants in here. I'll post a review in it's own thread when I have time. Regardless, my vote is in for this movie. Fun and entertaining sci-fi.

But I still am missing your point about Mr. Universe. How did the character 'Jew it up' as you say? You still haven't clarified how Mr U. did this. I failed to see how he portrayed a Stereotypical Jew as you say.

Yes the character wasn't running a jewlery shop or complaining about coffee, etc but my point is with the casting. They put a stereotypical looking Jewish person in the role. Who had a stereotypical accent and mannerisms. When roles call for a person of a different background they use the most stereotypical person for the role.

As far Zoe's losing it. Yeah it can happen but it's what's expected to happen in movies. If you think about her actions they were very stupid. Speaking off character's that should have died is River Brother. That character was pretty dull and he wasn't some one you hated or love he was just there.

Hey Myriad I love you too, lets make love. You name the time and place and I'll make a you feel like a woman.

needs some yoshinol :D

335432[/snapback]

I don't need it I just have fun spiking it.

I'm dandy

What people don't like the old Roy? Is this social experiment of mine working as expected?

Look Myriad get this straight the mods are posters like anybody else. We don't represent the the entire community, we aren't always poltically correct, we have our own opinions and feel the need to shove them down anyones throat like everyone body else does. Plus well throw in a little bit of fun dialog like, "are you stupid or something." In fact not every time we make a post is in mod mode. Yes I used the words, "What are you a flipping idiot?" in that earlier post. What was wrong with us talking like one of the guys?

Gee I thought people thought Roy was some cold heartless bastard. Who just showed up to close or delete a thread and only made a post to tell people to stop talking about stealth. I bring back the first 6 months of Macross World Roy. The fun loving, jiving talking, in your face, break dancing, human cannibal that will still bust a cap on mod action and the peasants get all freaky like? Maybe people preferred mean mod Roy persona best of all.

Once a Mod allows themselves to post like not as mod but as as regular poster of the boards all of the sudden there are double standards? Members posting such a way are okay or are ingored but people will start crying, bitching, whining and pointing once a mod does so.

have you ever read the Powers comic book series? The first TPB is called "who killed retro girl?" The premise of the story is the death of a famous super hero under dubious circumstances. when cornered, the killer says that he did it so that the world would always remember her as being great, not mediocre.

Your statement reminded me of that. But i think its better to have at least the main story closed out before it fades. Firefly rules. so does Serenity. I want some mo'. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I never much watched this series when it was on the air but I checked out the movie since and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the amalgamated world that whedon created with a kind of big fluid mongenized mega-culture and I really bought into the characters and their motivations.

I liked it enough that I went out and bought the DVDs and watched them all and now I'm going through and listnening to the commentaries...

this was a damn good show... the acting and story was great.. and just the depth and realism of the universe that whedon was creating had so much promise... I would really love to see this come back as a TV series where Whedon can take the proper time to tell his story.

I never much watched this series when it was on the air but I checked out the movie since and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the amalgamated world that whedon created with a kind of big fluid mongenized mega-culture and I really bought into the characters and their motivations.

I liked it enough that I went out and bought the DVDs and watched them all and now I'm going through and listnening to the commentaries...

this was a damn good show... the acting and story was great.. and just the depth and realism of the universe that whedon was creating had so much promise... I would really love to see this come back as a TV series where Whedon can take the proper time to tell his story.

340814[/snapback]

Alas, John Q public is not agreeing with us. :(

Edited by Gaijin

Weekend receipts are in, Serenity came in 9th confirmed.

Weekend receipts clocked 4.6 million, total gross so far to date is 17.6 million.

IMHO, at this rate, its got about 2 weeks left in most theaters. A feature film sequel is probably in doubt at this point. A direct to video sequel at a lower production budget is probably possible ( most of the cast left are B actors/sci fi typecast to be honest and would do it aka Dennis Haysbert in Major League 2, 3 ....... etc etc ) but that would really lower Whedon's overrall prestige as a feature director.

At this point, I think DVD sales, which should be fairly strong,  will let this thing break even. 

A return to TV is unlikely but there is still room for comics, merchandise and maybe even an animated series. ( Would solve some of the budgetary issues for sure)

At least the fans got some closure.

I, for one, really liked the movie. I don't buy too many movies anymore, but I'll pick up this DVD and support the franchise.

Makes me appreciate that Macross didn't get cut off at episode 32 and we were all left hanging.

335461[/snapback]

Actually, Serenity should quite easily turn a profit. The film is almost past its cost in worldwide receipts ($34 of $39 million) and the film did well enough that the DVD sales will be respectable. Firefly on DVD is doing well for a series of its type and the movie will no doubt follow suit.

I don't think there was ever any expectation that Serenity would create an explosion of interest in Firefly, that the series would again find a home on TV, or that the franchise would become a pop culture hit. The film was barely marketted and the interest in pushing it seems negligable. My guess is Whedon had enough pull with his record of successes to create a movie for a series that he loved; as special treat for the fans who felt like he did.

THe film was plenty of fun in my opinion and worth buying on DVD when it is released. I doubt I'm that much of a fan to buy the series, but since a friend of mine recently purchased the series, I'll no doubt watch it :)