What's really funny about Mal's gun is that they doctored the dvd art to make it more modern looking....and the ponit of that was......? :blink:

356687[/snapback]

To "juice" it up so it looks more "action packed!!" . See the standees in stores? All pics of gun toting cast. Figures.

• 3 weeks later...

I might get lynched for this, but the thing I like least about this show are the ship designs. I love the stories, the characters and the old fashion shoot outs (and Inara) but I'm glad I can save money on stuff like this.

Guest Bromgrev

Although I was an instant addict the moment I saw the Serenity (and then Firefly), I'm definitely not a fan of the ship architecture. I think Wedon missed a trick, there, as he wanted the ship to be 'one of the crew'. The firefly-look (as in the insect) just seems gimmicky to me, not iconic. I believe it's a by-product of CGI - with a model, you can much more readily get the 'feel' of a ship just right. All IMHO, of course.

Although I was an instant addict the moment I saw the Serenity (and then Firefly), I'm definitely not a fan of the ship architecture. I think Wedon missed a trick, there, as he wanted the ship to be 'one of the crew'. The firefly-look (as in the insect) just seems gimmicky to me, not iconic. I believe it's a by-product of CGI - with a model, you can much more readily get the 'feel' of a ship just right. All IMHO, of course.

361631[/snapback]

I always thought it looked more like a horse. The exterior is definitely ugly (intentionally so?), but I love the interior. Stuff like the pop out sinks and toilets in the crew quarters are just awesome little touches that make it seem real.

361631[/snapback]

I always thought it looked more like a horse. The exterior is definitely ugly (intentionally so?), but I love the interior. Stuff like the pop out sinks and toilets in the crew quarters are just awesome little touches that make it seem real.

361727[/snapback]

Yeah, that set is awesome... I like kaylee's little touches to the kitchen and her entrance to her cabin.

I do like the ship designs look differnt alliance looks pretty high tech and clean, firefly looks generic and old, and reavers spikey with nice skeleton accessories. Can't figure out how reavers manage to get a huge ship like the ones the alliance fought against in the movie. They are all from one spot. ;);) .

Guest Bromgrev
I always thought it looked more like a horse.  The exterior is definitely ugly (intentionally so?), but I love the interior.  Stuff like the pop out sinks and toilets in the crew quarters are just awesome little touches that make it seem real.

361727[/snapback]

Yup, I think that's where the show really shines. It just makes so much sense to have the interior of your ship look more like a home, when your ship is your home. Not that my home would ever get into that state. ;)

Something no other series has really come close to, IMO. Star Trek interiors look like exec offices, Space:1999 had a very antiseptic feel, and the Millennium Falcon definitely shows Solo's mechanic's touch (lots of oil and grime, but no home comforts to speak of - and no, holo-chess doesn't count).

Even my beloved Blakes 7 Liberator never got an interior makeover by its crew. Ok, they were wanted revolutionaries, but hey, what's wrong with a few pot plants? Mind you, Zen's auto-repair circuits would probably classify stencilling as 'priority one damage' and strip it off when no-one was looking ... :D

Noone is for sure if that site is for real, but it did get some credibility from Attack of the Show yesterday. I know I would like to see some more FireFly.

• 2 years later...

BACK FROM THE DEAD. This is inspired by two things. 1) the argument in the HD thread about Serenity vs. Star Wars and 2) I just made my girlfriend watch it for the first time and I'm wondering if anyone can help us with the Reavers. Now, it'd been a long time since I had seen Serenity but I remembered watching it. She's the kind of girl that hunts down logic flaws so I remembered to tell her "just don't think too much about The Reavers" when the movie started although I couldn't remember why I thought there was a big logic flaw associated with them. After the movie what does she say?

"I'm genuinely surprised how much I liked it but you're right, The Reavers make no sense. Does the TV show explain them better?" I shook my head. "So in the movie the Alliance makes a whole planet disappear? 10% of the population becomes so full of rage they're inhuman but they are organized in some fashion? What do they do when they're idling around Miranda? Why doesn't the Alliance just come through and wipe them out in Miranda's orbit and then blame the destruction of Miranda on the Reavers and seem like big heroes?"

You guys got some better explanations of how Reaver society works and why the Alliance just ignores them and lets them pillage the outer worlds?

The show really didn't get a chance to delve too deeply into the reavers. From what we saw:

The reavers raid the outlying colonies

Survivors of reaver attacks have a chance of becoming reavers themselves, from the trauma of witnessing and surviving the attack, apparantly.

As for why the Alliance doesn't take them out... not explored, but my guess would be the reavers serve as the boogeymen that the Alliance. In a, "sure we may be bad, but look at the alternative..." kinda way.

• 1 year later...
is that halloween episode?

Yep, the one where he comes out in FULL Mal regalia. And if you really want to get your geek on, pause it when he holds out the pistol and look closely at the object under his arm on the shelf in the background. It's a nothin' part, til you aint got one.

• 2 months later...
There's no stealth in space! ;):lol:

But this reminds me that I really want those Serenity schematics they released a year or two back.

The poster-sized, limited edition blueprints are a pretty rare commodity... but I picked up the spiral-bound, 12" x 16" blueprints reference pack, and I heartily recommend that. It's got all the blueprints (smaller size, of course), and tons more stuff. QMX' "Atlas of the 'Verse, volume 1", in the same size, is also a choice pick, with goodies like maps of eleven planets and accompanying moons, schematics for Mal's pistol, clinical descriptions of the pharmaceuticals from "Ariel", an ad for Higgins Industrial from "Jaynestown", and dorsal pics of other transports from the Serenity universe. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

The poster-sized, limited edition blueprints are a pretty rare commodity... but I picked up the spiral-bound, 12" x 16" blueprints reference pack, and I heartily recommend that. It's got all the blueprints (smaller size, of course), and tons more stuff. QMX' "Atlas of the 'Verse, volume 1", in the same size, is also a choice pick, with goodies like maps of eleven planets and accompanying moons, schematics for Mal's pistol, clinical descriptions of the pharmaceuticals from "Ariel", an ad for Higgins Industrial from "Jaynestown", and dorsal pics of other transports from the Serenity universe. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Are there any books like this that talk about the characters and the story, particularly talking about the direction the story would've gone in if the series wasn't canceled?

Are there any books like this that talk about the characters and the story, particularly talking about the direction the story would've gone in if the series wasn't canceled?

There are 3 softcover volumes that are great companions to the series and movie. The first two each cover half of the series, and the third covers the movie. Check out the links below. All three provide a wealth of detail on the characters, stories, productions, props, set design, chinese translations... you name it. All three contain some subtle insights on Joss' long-term intentions, here and there. The movie companion talks a bit more about how it was essentially a condensed version of what season 2 of the series would have revealed. If you're a fan like me, I definitely recommend them.

Firefly Companion, volume 1

Firefly Companion, volume 2

Serenity Companion

There are 3 softcover volumes that are great companions to the series and movie. The first two each cover half of the series, and the third covers the movie. Check out the links below. All three provide a wealth of detail on the characters, stories, productions, props, set design, chinese translations... you name it. All three contain some subtle insights on Joss' long-term intentions, here and there. The movie companion talks a bit more about how it was essentially a condensed version of what season 2 of the series would have revealed. If you're a fan like me, I definitely recommend them.

Firefly Companion, volume 1

Firefly Companion, volume 2

Serenity Companion

Thanks, definitely gonna check these out!

Sounds good. The pics of the schematics looked really detailed. I love the design of the inside of that ship.