Everybody in the series/movie is replacable.  EVERYBODY, with the exception of Mal.  And that's the bottom line.

333583[/snapback]

No sh!t... talk about stating the obvious after the fact and claiming it as your own. Tell us when you figure out that Miranda is the Reaver's homeworld... I'm sure that's news to us too. :rolleyes:

Ignore the troll.

Seriously, why does anyone even acknowledge his presence? (I know I'm doing it right now but this needs to be said.) I'm sick of him derailing threads and you guys just keep feeding him. Everyone needs to go into ignore mode.

Ignore the troll.

Seriously, why does anyone even acknowledge his presence?  (I know I'm doing it right now but this needs to be said.)  I'm sick of him derailing threads and you guys just keep feeding him.  Everyone needs to go into ignore mode.

333644[/snapback]

Done and Done. :)

I got so pissed off that I forgot to ask my original question.  Why did the assasin just let them go at the end?   It doesn't make sense to me.

333648[/snapback]

He let them go because he saw (on the video) what the Alliance did to that planet and it's byproduect which resulted in the creation of the reavers. duh!!

Not bad for a troll, huh?

p.s. I think that you have been hanging aroung Exoidiot and Agent dumb to much.

Edited by MGREXX

I got so pissed off that I forgot to ask my original question.  Why did the assasin just let them go at the end?  It doesn't make sense to me.

333648[/snapback]

He let them go because he saw (on the video) what the Alliance did to that planet and it's byproduect which resulted in the creation of the reavers. duh!!

Not bad for a troll, huh?

p.s. I think that you have been hanging aroung Exoidiot and Agent dumb to much.

333652[/snapback]

yeah... quit hanging aroung us. You crazy cokaroach! :lol:

I got so pissed off that I forgot to ask my original question.  Why did the assasin just let them go at the end?  It doesn't make sense to me.

333648[/snapback]

His mission was to make sure that the information River had didn't get out. It did, mission failure. He's not just going to kill them after he failed the mission, there's no honor in that.

His mission was to make sure that the information River had didn't get out. It did, mission failure. He's not just going to kill them after he failed the mission, there's no honor in that.

333674[/snapback]

He makes a comment about how the sword was used as a weapon in the past when he kills the guards and scientist on the log/ records room, I am sure he meant the samurai . You can tell he was emulating a Ninja or something of that sort and he would act under a strict honor code. but once they get the mesage out there was no point of killing. Besides, finally someone was better than him why kill Mal when he already lost?

Mal's a total badass in this movie (as if he wasn't already). Even though we saw in the trailer that he shoots the Operative when he says that he was unarmed, it was still a great scen that made everyone jump... sorta like a big F'you to Lucas and his Han Solo SE edit. There maybe people that can fight better than Mal, but I believe he's probably the fastest gun in the black.

I just bought the Serenity magazine... it said that Wash's death was somewhat Alan Tudyk's idea. He suggested that he be killed off on the show's second season before it got axed. I guess they just sped up the process for the movie. Ron Glass (Book) on the other hand got the bad news thru a phone call... sucks.

It was the honorable thing to do, huh? It's just that Mal had tried to kill him earlier when he said he was unarmed. I mean, does honor dictate being honorable to a dishonorable opponent?

Never mind. It was just that the assasin guy shows up at the end to visit Mal. It didn't really make much sense to me.

It was the honorable thing to do, huh?  It's just that Mal had tried to kill him earlier when he said he was unarmed.  I mean, does honor dictate being honorable to a dishonorable opponent?

Never mind.  It was just that the assasin guy shows up at the end to visit Mal.  It didn't really make much sense to me.

333752[/snapback]

Honorable? Maybe it's the fact that Mal knows that there are a lot of dead honorable people. Plus it goes with the humor of the whole story.

The Assassin visits him at the end out of remorse and appreciation for opening his eyes to the fact that he wasn't working for the cause of the "better world". That and to explain to the audience that the Alliance is no longer looking for River.

I just wish there was a better explaination for why they wanted her. Seemed kinda dumb to me.

333833[/snapback]

I dunno, I mean it seemed like a nice vacant beurocratic reason to me, She might be psychic or able to read minds, high level government officials thought that perhaps she might have read their minds when they were thinking about whatever vile things they have done, jeez we better tie up that loose end, go capture or kill it!

I dunno, I mean it seemed like a nice vacant beurocratic reason to me, She might be psychic or able to read minds, high level government officials thought that perhaps she might have read their minds when they were thinking about whatever vile things they have done, jeez we better tie up that loose end, go capture or kill it!

I agree. We're talking politicians here. They have to protect the locks on their closet doors at all times. Look at our current politicians. You hint that they might have done something wrong and they'll do everything from bribing you to be quiet to attacking you on everything you might have done since you were a kid. Their paranoid and defensive.

Just remember that the Operative hasn't been the only one after River. We still have our friendly Blue Sun 'two-by-two, hands of blue' guys who want River for whatever reason they have. You might also have other factions of the Alliance government seeking to eliminate or recapture her for various purposes...most of these deparments never talking with one another. Anyone who knows of her powers will either want to get rid of her or control her.

As much as I could live with the focus not be on River, her problems with the Alliance are far from over and she is a nice little focal point to get the others into trouble (or, at least trouble of world-shattering type and not just tavern chair shattering type ;) ).

The past few days since seeing the movie, I've been torn over something....should they have left Wash's dinosaurs with him or not? It would've been cute to see his little 'head stone head display' surrounded by the palm trees and dinosaurs. Yes, I'm concerned about Wash's toy dinos...even if one is an inevitable traitor. B))

A friend after the movie joked they should bring Wash back as his mirror-universe twin. While insulting to insinuate such a Star Trek-ish plot device, could you imagine an evil Wash who still has his mustache and Hawaiian t-shirt? :D

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

I just wish there was a better explaination for why they wanted her. Seemed kinda dumb to me.

333833[/snapback]

333852[/snapback]

That was the reason exactly. If you put all the top level officials in the room with someone who is a ble to read minds, then there is indeed a reason to worry about security issues, that is the main issue with River's recovery. i kinda understood it in the series, but the movie cleared it up rather quickly and explained it well.

BWAHAHA! That would be hi-larious! He could be the pilot of the Betty (all 3 of you who saw and liked Alien Resurrection), after all that crew was pretty much the dark mirror of Serenity's.

As to Wash's dinos, in the book and script I think, Mal picks up the stego and sets it back on the console so Wash is always in the cockpit, so to speak.

Edited by uminoken

i enjoyed the introductory shot of o the crew, they walked from the brige through the whole ship to the cargo bay with out cutting. very cool.

sort of the last hurrah of that awesome lifesized set they made of the ship.

Edited by KingNor

I have to agree that that was cool KingNor, but IIRC from the FIrefly DVDs they say that there were basically two sets for the ship setting side by side, the upper deck, and the lower cargo hold, so unless they stacked the two up they had to have made some subtle cut in there. Oh and yes the living quarters were sperate sets as well.

I have to agree that that was cool KingNor, but IIRC from the FIrefly DVDs they say that there were basically two sets for the ship setting side by side, the upper deck, and the lower cargo hold, so unless they stacked the two up they had to have made some subtle cut in there.  Oh and yes the living quarters were sperate sets as well.

333943[/snapback]

In interviews Joss said they did have to have cut to make the 2 sets appear one, my guess is when the camera shifts from Mal to Simon in the hallway as they walk downstairs...seamlessly done if so

Well I saw the movie the other day and read some of the spoilers here before hand. Since I never watched the series the spoiler mean nothing. I gotta give them credit for taking a cancealed TV show and making a good pop corn movie out of it. I didn't feel that you had to have previous knowledge of the series to the get the story nor did it seem to be giving too much back story to bore fans.

I did have a few of issues.

The blonde guy who gets speared. A nice sudden unexpected, un heroic death. Yet it was no surprize I hardly saw that character away from the controls. Now I question his lover or wife's part in the battle. I got the idea that she besides being second in command might have been a former soldier. If so she recklessly went against the cannibals how was she helping the others? As we saw the rest got injuried had she not to gung ho they would less injuries. If River can kick ass why didn't she do that before the others were nearly dead?

Mister Universe = Jews in Space? Even in the future your stereotypical New York Jew is still the same. Now there are a lot of Jews in Hollywood and several leading males that are half Jewish (Harrsion Ford is one) by why is every meant to be "Jewish" character are all same?

The last fight scene. Early on it's established that the british brother has this pressure point attack. He uses it on our hero but the attack fails and the reason, "Long ago I had that nerve removed" What kinda of a week excuse is that? It seems like such an after the fact save. Maybe they could have establish him getting that nerve earlier in the movie.

There maybe people that can fight better than Mal, but I believe he's probably the fastest gun in the black.

In "Objects of Space" River warned all of them especially Mal and Zoe that Jubai Early is much faster shot than them.

The last fight scene.  Early on it's established that the british brother has this pressure point attack.  He uses it on our hero but the attack fails and the reason, "Long ago I had that nerve removed"  What kinda of a week excuse is that?  It seems like such an after the fact save.  Maybe they could have establish him getting that nerve earlier in the movie.

Complaint would be more valid if you comparing how fast Early KOed Mal to the Operative having difficulty getting Mal just to fall down. :ph34r:

I have to agree that that was cool KingNor, but IIRC from the FIrefly DVDs they say that there were basically two sets for the ship setting side by side, the upper deck, and the lower cargo hold, so unless they stacked the two up they had to have made some subtle cut in there.  Oh and yes the living quarters were sperate sets as well.

333943[/snapback]

In interviews Joss said they did have to have cut to make the 2 sets appear one, my guess is when the camera shifts from Mal to Simon in the hallway as they walk downstairs...seamlessly done if so

334517[/snapback]

This one shot scene was talked about in an interview. Joss explained that he liked how QT did it in KIll Bill Vol I, he said he would never do it again since it takes so long to setup the camera rail and set. I can only imagine how one would go about doing a one take shot on second level sets with dialogue!

There maybe people that can fight better than Mal, but I believe he's probably the fastest gun in the black.

In "Objects of Space" River warned all of them especially Mal and Zoe that Jubai Early is much faster shot than them.

Not no more... Jubal is now just an object in space... hehe. When the reaver popped out in Serenity's dock, all three Mal, Zoe and Jayne blew him away with quickdraws. I think Mal got the first shot out.

This one shot scene was talked about in an interview. Joss explained that he liked how QT did it in KIll Bill Vol I, he said he would never do it again since it takes so long to setup the camera rail and set. I can only imagine how one would go about doing a one take shot on second level sets with dialogue!

334596[/snapback]

There's a great exterior shot on Miranda when River starts hearing voices where the camera is just spinning around then it transfers to Jayne and when he said something about how they probably won't make it, it settles on Wash. Noticed that the second time around. Poor Wash... lol.

Well I saw the movie the other day and read some of the spoilers here before hand.  Since I never watched the series the spoiler mean nothing.  I gotta give them credit for taking a cancealed TV show and making a good pop corn movie out of it.  I didn't feel that you had to have previous knowledge of the series to the get the story nor did it seem to be giving too much back story to bore fans.

I did have a few of issues.

The blonde guy who gets speared.  A nice sudden unexpected, un heroic death.  Yet it was no surprize I hardly saw that character away from the controls.    Now I question his lover or wife's part in the battle.  I got the idea that she besides being second in command might have been a former soldier.  If so she recklessly went against the cannibals how was she helping the others?  As we saw the rest got injuried had she not to gung ho they would less injuries.  If River can kick ass why didn't she do that before the others were nearly dead? 

334534[/snapback]

Zoe (the wife of the guy who gets killed, Wash) does lose control for a moment. Yes, she's an ex-soldier (she served under Mal in the war), but she's human too. Humans have been known to lose composure due to grief.

As for River not kicking ass earlier, you will notice that she'd not exactly been sane or entirely lucid up 'til then.

Mister Universe = Jews in Space?  Even in the future your stereotypical New York Jew is still the same.  Now there are a lot of Jews in Hollywood and several leading males that are half Jewish (Harrsion Ford is one) by why is every meant to be "Jewish" character are all same?

He's Jewish? I didn't get that at all. Even if he is, it's not the first time the setting has used straight-up Earth ethnic groups/cultures (in the TV series we had a cockney brit and US southerners, f'rex). I'm not sure of your point, though. Are you accusing the film of being anti-semetic?

The last fight scene.  Early on it's established that the british brother has this pressure point attack.  He uses it on our hero but the attack fails and the reason, "Long ago I had that nerve removed"  What kinda of a week excuse is that?  It seems like such an after the fact save.  Maybe they could have establish him getting that nerve earlier in the movie.

Finally a movie that treats its audience as intelligent viewers and doesn't feel it has to telegraph every freaking plot point. Just because Hollywood has completely forgotten the value of surprise doesn't mean we have to. Bringing it up earlier would have ruined that scene because we would have all seen it coming. No thanks.

Edited by JELEINEN

There's a great exterior shot on Miranda when River starts hearing voices where the camera is just spinning around then it transfers to Jayne and when he said something about how they probably won't make it, it settles on Wash.  Noticed that the second time around. Poor Wash... lol.

334603[/snapback]

In the ep "Out of Gas", at the end when Mal asks if "Y'all gonna be here when I wake up?" the 2 characters specifically framed are Wash and Book.....wonder how long their demise has been in the making. Makes logistic sense to be one of those two to get it, even Alan Tudyk liked the idea of Wash being a "sympathetic kill" and they are probly the most of the cast who have things going for them after the series was canned (Spamalot for Alan, Ron's in a bunch of activist groups)

On a lighter note, I've heard rumor that there are a few easter eggs in the space battle, specifically I can see the Reaver ship from the pilot ep to the left of Serenity as she makes the charge. I've heard that Galactica and another Firefly are in there all Reaver-fied...anybody see em?

He's (Mr. Universe) Jewish?  I didn't get that at all.

Me neither. I got techno-geek...I mean, the guy's girlfriend is a sex toy!...but not a particular ethnicity. I know a good chunk of Jewish people and I know a lot of geeks and he definitely was more the latter (who can be the former too, but certainly don't have to be).

(In regards to the nerve bundle thing coming out of the blue)

Finally a movie that treats its audience as intelligent viewers and doesn't feel it has to telegraph every freaking plot point.  Just because Hollywood has completely forgotten the value of surprise doesn't mean we have to.  Bringing it up earlier would have ruined that scene because we would have all seen it coming.

I was on the fence on this for a bit. On one hand, I HATED the whole 'deus ex machina' escape. On the other, I agree that if they even through out the slightest hint early on, most, if not all, of the audience (especially given the specific demographics of this movie) would've immediately picked up on it. And I totally agree that Hollywood these days basically throws a flashing arrow at the 'hint' of the critical plot twist/escape in movies these days.

I think in the end, had Joss had a better idea of how this was all gonna turn out, it would've been nice for some mention of Mal's wound/surgery back in the series...a throw away scene, like the doctor asking about a scar while fixing another bullet wound or something. Something that would've been all but forgotten and when it came to this moment, a few fans would've guessed, "Oh, waitaminute, you can't do that to him!", but most would've been surprised, but then remember the line and love the connection. It's sort of a shame it just couldn't work out that way.....

He's (Mr. Universe) Jewish?  I didn't get that at all.

Me neither. I got techno-geek...I mean, the guy's girlfriend is a sex toy!...but not a particular ethnicity. I know a good chunk of Jewish people and I know a lot of geeks and he definitely was more the latter (who can be the former too, but certainly don't have to be).

There's a video playing of his marriage to the sexbot. If you look closely, you can see he's wearing a yarmulke and he breaks a glass on the floor.