Guilty Pleasure movies

Many of you have already mentioned my picks but... *dons kelvar armor* there is one film that made my top pick but makes everyone else puke, and it so happenes to be ....

Street Fighter: The Movie

...I am SO going to hell for this. :ph34r:

318339[/snapback]

Van Damme is totally awesome.

Better Off Dead -- "This mountain is pure snow! Do you realize the street value of this stuff?

Trading Places -- "It was the Dukes, it was the Dukes..."

Big Trouble In Little China -- "You'll come out no more!" "What!...What will come out no more?!!!"

They Live -- 'THIS IS YOUR GOD' (subliminal currency message).

Cliffhanger -- Sylvester Stallone being Sylvester Stallone. But Michael Rooker as his estranged buddy gave the characters some depth. Add John Lithgow as the villian, and that cute girl from Northern Exposure and you have me watching this movie four times. It's a dumb movie, but I enjoyed every minute of its idiocy.

Rogue Force/Renegade Force-- You know a film is B-movie gold when it has more than one name based on where it was released. Mostly silly movie, starring Robert Patrick and again, Michael Rooker. But the SWAT and CQB realism was pretty top notch, especially for such a low-budget film. Helped that actual members of the Cleveland SWAT Team played parts in the action scenes.

UHF-- Wierd Al Yankovic. Conan the Librarian, Ghandi 2, and Wheel of Fish. No Michael Rooker though. =( "Dohn't yoo knol da Doowey Deceemol Seesytahm?!!"

Armegeddon-- Even guiltier not seeing what's so terribly bad about it. It was a fun flick if not particularly realistic.

Underworld-- Kate Beckingsale and an ending that left the possibility for sequels without being too contrived.

Constantine-- Help.

Cliffhanger -- Sylvester Stallone being Sylvester Stallone.  But Michael Rooker as his estranged buddy gave the characters some depth.  Add John Lithgow as the villian, and that cute girl from Northern Exposure and you have me watching this movie four times.  It's a dumb movie, but I enjoyed every minute of its idiocy.

Rogue Force/Renegade Force--  You know a film is B-movie gold when it has more than one name based on where it was released.  Mostly silly movie, starring Robert Patrick and again, Michael Rooker.  But the SWAT and CQB realism was pretty top notch, especially for such a low-budget film.  Helped that actual members of the Cleveland SWAT Team played parts in the action scenes.

UHF-- Wierd Al Yankovic.  Conan the Librarian, Ghandi 2, and Wheel of Fish.  No Michael Rooker though. =(  "Dohn't yoo knol da Doowey Deceemol Seesytahm?!!"

Armegeddon-- Even guiltier not seeing what's so terribly bad about it.  It was a fun flick if not particularly realistic.

Underworld-- Kate Beckingsale and an ending that left the possibility for sequels without being too contrived.

Constantine-- Help.

357140[/snapback]

Constantine was fun. I love movies about the devil.

Constantine was fun.  I love movies about the devil.

357152[/snapback]

I have to agree that Peter Stormare made for a pretty good Satan. Somehow he pulled off ugly, creepy, and swuave all at the same time.

Next you're going to tell me I'm not the only one who kind of enjoyed the Devil's Advocate.

Constantine was fun.  I love movies about the devil.

357152[/snapback]

I have to agree that Peter Stormare made for a pretty good Satan. Somehow he pulled off ugly, creepy, and swuave all at the same time.

Next you're going to tell me I'm not the only one who kind of enjoyed the Devil's Advocate.

357242[/snapback]

"Kevin? KEVIN? Remember what we talked about? Pressure? Take a big whiff!"

:)

"Kevin?  KEVIN?  Remember what we talked about?  Pressure?  Take a big whiff!"

I'm still not quite sure why it was so loathed on its release. There are a lot of good quotes and gems in that movie.

I also want to take this moment to slather praise for Tilda Swinton as the angel Gabriel/David Bowie in Constantine. Except for the longest time I thought she was Kate Blanchett, and was amazed by her range, thinking "Galadriel, Kathrine Hepburn, and andyrogenous he-she, too? Wow."

Well, they are called guilty pleasures for a reason :) Often times, a bad film is just a joy to watch because while it may be contrived and cliched, the acting, effects, music, cinematography, subject matter, or a host of other aspects are so entertaining you can't take your eyes off it. While I don't own Devil's Advocate, you'd be hard pressed to convince me it's not worth watching when a friend offer to play his copy :)

I couldn't agree more that Tilda Swinton is fantastic. Her roles in Narnia and Constantine were nothing short of amazing. I don't find this a bit surprising actually, since I'm of the opinion most of the best actresses in the world are from either England or Australia. No doubt their are great actresses elsewhere, but I just find that America in general recruits so many hot-babes-of-the-month as disposable actresses that the talented ones are lost in the flood of better-looking, talentless females.

See, that's just the thing. I'm not sure where the decidedly bad part of Devil's Advocate is supposed to be found. It's a tad over the top, okay... and some of it is pretty gratuitous, but it really drives home the character of the devil, temptation, man's weakness, pride, gullability, and both his prision and hope in free will. And it does what it sets out to do pretty well. And Pacino isn't even screaming. Maybe people just hated the "it was all a dream aspect". But who saw it coming that Keanu's solution was to blow his own head off?

No doubt their are great actresses elsewhere, but I just find that America in general recruits so many hot-babes-of-the-month as disposable actresses that the talented ones are lost in the flood of better-looking, talentless females.
Kate Beckinsale's another Brit actress that makes my guilty pleasures watchable. Plus shes more gorgeous than most actresses hired for their looks, and can actually do action to boot.

I almost feel like we'd get along fine if the entire collective of American actors disappeared overnight. The British and Australians would just fill their roles, often being better at portraying Americans than Americans are. Blew my mind to know that a heavy portion of the cast of Band of Brothers were in fact British.

Edited by Sundown

I almost feel like we'd get along fine if the entire collective of American actors disappeared overnight. 

357287[/snapback]

I hear ya :D .

Except gotta save the cast of Serenity. I was gonna say save Arnie as well, but he's not American anyway, so no need.

Graham

Except gotta save the cast of Serenity. I was gonna say save Arnie as well, but he's not American anyway, so no need.

Graham

357316[/snapback]

Just replace them with the cast of Red Dwarf or something. Or the aformentioned Arnold.

One danger to this scenario is that all we'd get are Hugh Grant and Elizabeth Hurley movies. But this might also mean we get to see more of Rachael Weiss and Clive Owens.

Knight's Tale

357248[/snapback]

LOL, you and just about every chick... I have never dated a girl that didn't like that movie. I however thought it was a tad lame. Certainly watchable though.

Knight's Tale

357248[/snapback]

LOL, you and just about every chick... I have never dated a girl that didn't like that movie. I however thought it was a tad lame. Certainly watchable though.

357409[/snapback]

Got dragged to it by some chick. But the jousting was good, and the dialogue was really good. Brian Helgelands one of my favorite screenwriters. L.A. Confidential, Man On Fire and Payback are good movies. The fact that it's a chick movie is what puts it in the 'guilty pleasures' category. There's another, but it makes me feel too guilty to list. :lol:

*snip*

I almost feel like we'd get along fine if the entire collective of American actors disappeared overnight.  The British and Australians would just fill their roles, often being better at portraying Americans than Americans are.  Blew my mind to know that a heavy portion of the cast of Band of Brothers were in fact British.

357287[/snapback]

That's a bit extreme. I can't really blame a lot of american actors for the crap they star in. Hell, Statham is a great brit actor who's been suffering the same bad roles as most other american actors in Hollywood. And don't even get me started on some of the crap that been given to Ewan McGregor.

All that is required is quality filmmaking. Tom Cruise is pretty bland in most films, but put him in a quality film and he shines like A Few Good Men or Jerry MaGuire. Brad Pitt is usually uninteresting, but he's devilishly entertaining in Fight Club. Wil Smith is another such actor that really shined in Ali. This list goes on.

I think what is needed is more quality film and the rest of the industry will follow suit.

Edited by Mr March

That's a bit extreme.  I can't really blame a lot of american actors for the crap they star in.

All that is required is quality filmmaking.

That's true... I'd mentioned Band of Brothers before, and it even has David Schwimmer/Ross being a compelling and thoroughly hateable villian.

I will admit to liking as a guilty pleasure Xanadu (most of the movie was crap, but I like some of the songs, I love those cool early '80s special effects, and it was one of Gene Kelly's last starring roles.)

I will admit to liking as a guilty pleasure Xanadu...

357523[/snapback]

Fag! :p I'm kidding! I actually have that awful movie on VHS around here somewhere! I liked it when I was a kid because I was in love with Olivia Newton-John. I secretly like Grease also...

God, I am so gay...

Fag!  :p  I'm kidding! I actually have that awful movie on VHS around here somewhere! I liked it when I was a kid because I was in love with Olivia Newton-John. I secretly like Grease also...

There's nothing terribly wrong with that... I'm slightly infatuated with Julia Andrews and Debbie Reynolds. They're sorta, vaguely hot for their time. So long as you're not in love with Elton John.

Brokeback Mountain?

357314[/snapback]

Don't you mean Bareback Mountain? Seriously, how much you wanna bet that piece of drek wins Best Movie?

357565[/snapback]

Oh, they're already proclaiming the glorious nominations and bits of high acclaim from critics that this movie is supposively receiving. It probably is a quality feature technically-I just can't get past the story...

Brokeback Mountain?

357314[/snapback]

Life imitates South Park. :rolleyes:

2006, Oh, they're already proclaiming the glorious nominations and bits of high acclaim from critics that this movie is supposively receiving. It probably is a quality feature technically-I just can't get past the story...

Seriously. Here's a movie that hardly anyone outside San Francisco, LA, NYC, or France will spend good money to see, and the usual suspects are already engaged in a self adulatory cluster f**k heaping praise on this thing...and "Hollyweird" wonders why movie ticket sales are weak, with only a few notable gems once in a while, when they try to peddle such drek (Siriana, Munich, etc.) on the public.

Edited by mechaninac

Knight's Tale

357248[/snapback]

357409[/snapback]

Hey Agent Im curious have you ever Met Arnold in person? or saw him live?

357566[/snapback]

Yes.

Knight's Tale

357248[/snapback]

357409[/snapback]

Hey Agent Im curious have you ever Met Arnold in person? or saw him live?

357566[/snapback]

Yes.

357670[/snapback]

the only creature in the universe a1 is willing to "swallow" :lol:

wait... I meant concede to... :rolleyes:

I was close :p

although I'd bet a1 could be a better actor... if he could just lose that -.0007 lbs of flab :rolleyes:

guilty pleasure...

fritz the cat

9 lives of fritz the cat

meet the feebles

wizards

heavy metal

apocalypse now

vanishing point

pale rider

hang 'em high

any bond flick

indiana jones- raiders

dune - the six hour version [and yes a1, all the drugs in the world... that I knew about at the time anyway ;) ]

fear and loathing in las-vegas [ apparently not enough or to much drugs as I've seen and enjoyed it a number of times and still don't have a clue :lol: ]

Where the buffalo roam [bill murry shooting a fax machine... classic]

caddy shack

nothing but trouble

deal of the century

bad boys [i could suck on tia's legs for weeks without coming up for air :blink::D ]

blade runner [don't hate :lol: ]

bondock saints [watch it if you haven't and judge for yourself]

I think I've already replied in this thread a long time ago but I just thought of a few more:

-Mighty Ducks (all of them)

-Whoever said Men at Work, I'm with them

-29 Days and Two Weeks Notice (two Sandra Bullock movies). I don't know why. I'm sorry.

I think I've already replied in this thread a long time ago but I just thought of a few more:

-Mighty Ducks (all of them)

-Whoever said Men at Work, I'm with them

-29 Days and Two Weeks Notice (two Sandra Bullock movies).  I don't know why.  I'm sorry.

357715[/snapback]

You mean 28 Days. I almost skipped 28 Days Later first thinking it was a sequel to Bullock's film.