Who's your favorite Star Trek Captain?

UN Spacy

Logic dictates that you choose wisely.  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Logic dictates that you choose wisely.

• Captain James T. Kirk
    • Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    • Captain Benjamin Sisko
    • Captain Kathryn Janeway
    • Captain Jonathan Archer

Kirk. . . because he's the Captain of a friggin' military vessel rather than some lame-ass ship of goodwill that travels around with everyone's family onboard. . . and with a friggin' "ship's counselor" on the bridge right beside him all the time.

H

KIRK is the one and only Captain of the Enterprise.

Without him, we would never have heard of "kirking out on someone/thing" and he had his own martial art style, I call it Kirk Fu. You know, the move he always used when someone would grab his throat with both arms, chop up and break their grip, then chop down on their collarbones = Kirk FU!

Plus, he whooped Khan's ass not once but twice, first time, he beat him down with a flashlight in the engine room, the second time he made Khan blow himself up. That's a Captain, he doesn't blow you up, he pisses you off so bad that you blow yourself up trying to get him back!.

And you have to admit, he had a way with the ladies that would make even Agent ONE green with envy. As a matter of fact, AOne could be Kirk's green bitch! :lol:

Kirk. . . because he's the Captain of a friggin' military vessel rather than some lame-ass ship of goodwill that travels around with everyone's family onboard. . . and with a friggin' "ship's counselor" on the bridge right beside him all the time.

H

So was Janeway.

And Sisko, once he got a ship.

Heck, Archer doesn't have a counselor either.

Picard is the only person that DID have a counselor on the bridge. And that may've just been because of her abilities(let's be honest, where do you think someone that can read minds is more useful?).

Speaking of the continual wussifcation of Star Trek that began with Picard. . . you gotta love how they had families onboard, and for the first few episodes, they would always seperate the "saucer section" off and send it to safety while everyone else wandered down to the "battle bridge."

Then, about five episodes into the series, they said: "Hey, that's pretty f'ing stupid."

But, of course, having families on a war vessel was stupid to begin with. . . of the thirteen original Constitution class starships that went on their five year voyages. . . only Kirk's Enterprise returned. So, as Starfleet, what's the logical thing to do? Hey! Why not put a bunch of families/civilians on the ship! Sounds like a great plan! And please don't try to tell me that the entire galaxy suddenly became safer. . . the whole idea was that they were exploring new areas of space. . . and you don't know how safe it was going to be.

Now, they made the series increasingly better as it went along (ditching Wesley, the saucer seperation, and some of the pseudo-pacifism). . . but that crap in the beginning drove me away to the point where I didn't really enjoy TNG until well towards the end of its run.

H

Edited by Hurin

H

I get your drift, but if you want to talk about military ships, the Enterprise D could destroy 20 of Kirk's little Enterprises with little effort-12 type X phaser banks and 3 photon torpedo tubes are nothing to laugh at, at least in the 'Trek universe. I look at Picard's era like this: the Federation had become one of the most powerful forces in the known universe, so why not parade that accomplishment about by cruising around in a giant sized, weapon laden, ultra-capable starship with your wife 'n kids by your side? Picard's era also represented a sort of golden age of attainment for mankind, and it was so arrogant that it would put families aboard its deep exploration ships such as the Enterprise. I'm sure you remember though, that Q and other entities proved how vulnerable mankind was soon after the 1st season of "pacifism," as you call it.

And let's face it-Kirk may have had no official ship's counselor, but without Bones and Spock to lean on he would've been worthless...

One question though-what's your problem with peace?

Edited by myk

H

So was Janeway.

And Sisko, once he got a ship.

Heck, Archer doesn't have a counselor either.

Picard is the only person that DID have a counselor on the bridge. And that may've just been because of her abilities(let's be honest, where do you think someone that can read minds is more useful?).

Meh. She was there because TNG was intended to be "kindler, gentler" Star Trek for the "thinking man."

There were no counselors sitting next to the Captains on the other series because they realized it was lame.

Dude. . . the Enterprise D's bridge looks like a super-comfy living room!

All of these things they gradually undid (even with the TNG in their movies). But, there for a while, TNG was just lame. . . everyone sitting around comfortably on the bridge waiting for the boy genius to save them. . .

And when he couldn't, they'd just sput some techno-babble about rerouting something through the deflector array, and then everything was alright. At least when Kirk figured out a solution to their dilemmas, it was something we all said: "Man, I wish I had thought of that!". . . but in TNG, we couldn't have thought of that because it was just techno-babble that is intentionally over our heads.

H

I get your drift, but if you want to talk about military ships, the Enterprise D could destroy 20 of Kirk's little Enterprises with little effort. I look at the age of Picard's Trek universe like this: the Federation had become one of the most powerful forces in the known universe, so why not arrogantly parade that accomplishment about by cruising around in a giant sized, weapon laden, ultra-capable starship with your wife 'n kids by your side? And let's face it-Kirk may have had no official ship's counselor, but without Bones and Spock to lean on he would've been worthless...

One question though-what's your problem with peace?

Yes, Spock helped save Kirk's ass quite a bit. But Bones? When?

At least Kirk depended on his brilliant first officer rather than the teenage son of his ex-flame. I could not believe how nearly each and every first season episode revolved around how Wesley would eventually save everyone. :lol:

And, my problem with peace? I have a problem with peace when it's not time for peace. I believe in giving peace a chance. But, when it doesn't work out, I strongly believe in giving war a chance.

H

Captain Sisko was the man.

Kirk is 2nd on my list.

I went with Picard, but Kirk is a very close second. Kirk kicks ass the same way James Bond does... he charges headlong into danger, beats the bad guy, and then gets the girl in the end. And although Bones and Spock were his trusted friends and always there for him, he wasn't one to hide behind them or his crew. He's the kind of man's man you'd want leading the troops on the front line.

But Picard... well, he's kinda like Optimus Prime. He's a negotiator who always looks for the peaceful solution first. He's the kind of guy who doesn't shy away from the tough decisions, and he gets the respect of his crew not by commanding it, but by giving them the same respect and showing both wisdom and compassion in his leadership. If Kirk's the guy leading the troops on the front line, then Picard's the guy you'd want for President, to hold the country together and to negotiate the peace after the war's over.

Kirk. The original, the best.  :lol:

pike was first, kirk was the next that made it cult classic.

Well, he was the first one that had enough time to be notable (kirk, that is). Technically, not even Pike was the original captain of the Enterprise...

Kirk. The original, the best.  :lol:

pike was first, kirk was the next that made it cult classic.

Well, he was the first one that had enough time to be notable (kirk, that is). Technically, not even Pike was the original captain of the Enterprise...

for the timeline and real life yes but from the tv standpoint hes the first. The first pilot ep some nice quirks with some of the cast. number one :)

Bones saved everyone's cookies in The Amok Time.

Anyway, I voted for Kirk.

And by everyone, you mean Kirk. Well, and Spock I suppose because he wasn't guilty of murder thanks to McCoy's quick thinking? But he didn't save the Enterprise or its crew as a whole. ;)

But, regardless, I'm sure there's at least one episode where McCoy saves the Enterprise. . . but I'm wracking my brain right now and can't really come up with one! :)

And when he couldn't, they'd just sput some techno-babble about rerouting something through the deflector array, and then everything was alright. At least when Kirk figured out a solution to their dilemmas, it was something we all said: "Man, I wish I had thought of that!". . . but in TNG, we couldn't have thought of that because it was just techno-babble that is intentionally over our heads.

Wow, well said. That's what sucked me into TOS as a kid, even when it looked visually boring and silly, and I never really intended to like it.

To be fair, Picard had a few diplomatic moments that didn't entirely involve techno-jargon silliness.

-Al

Well I really like Kirk. But I voted Janeway mainly because she got her crew home without sacrificing their humanity. It was shown very well when she met up with another Federation starship out there and they were capturing interdimensional beings and using them for fuel to go faster than normal. And when Janeway found out, she refused to do the same and IIRC she said she was going to bring the other captain back to Earth as a criminal or sumthing. (I vaguely remember something like that said)

Other than that, Kirk! You guys already pointed out his great qualities. B))

Well I really like Kirk. But I voted Janeway mainly because she got her crew home without sacrificing their humanity. It was shown very well when she met up with another Federation starship out there and they were capturing interdimensional beings and using them for fuel to go faster than normal. And when Janeway found out, she refused to do the same and IIRC she said she was going to bring the other captain back to Earth as a criminal or sumthing. (I vaguely remember something like that said)

Other than that, Kirk! You guys already pointed out his great qualities. B))

I believe the name of the episode you're looking for was the Fifth Season Finale (and Sixth Season Premiere). Equinox Parts I and II.