What is lying on your workbench?

...and the skygrasper. This and the PG Strike have the best decals! lol, I didn't notice the paint smudge on the tailfin until just now. <_<

skygrasper021vw.th.jpg skygrasper033wm.th.jpg skygrasper046zh.th.jpg

last, here's my finished VF-0. I also just noticed I need to touch up the seam line on the fuselage. I alsmost snapped the kit in two when I was sticking on the little orange bits on the nose.

vfzero014ch.th.jpg vfzero103ng.th.jpg vfzero0117hh.th.jpg vfzero121ug.th.jpg

The wha wha what? Dude you're all hooked up in the modeling community, I'm jealous.

324387[/snapback]

Naw. I just started going to Armorama.com this year. They have a little sci-fi section and are doing this contest. I just figured it was a good excuse to get the SDF-1 done. It was the first resin kit I ever bought... and it's taken me over 2 years to get off my arse and finish it.

Other 3 sites I visit are Starshipmodeler.com, Aircraftresourcecenter.com, and planetfigure.com. ARC is great for jets and PF is great for figures. It's amazing what they do on those forums. I also look at the articles on Hyperscale too.

...and the skygrasper. This and the PG Strike have the best decals! lol, I didn't notice the paint smudge on the tailfin until just now.  <_<

skygrasper021vw.th.jpg skygrasper033wm.th.jpg skygrasper046zh.th.jpg

324419[/snapback]

That's a cool looking fighter, what scale is that?

That fighter is sweet looking. Reminds me of alot of the early/mid 80s style anime, the good years :D I cant see what paint blemish your talking about, probably because im not familiar to the subject. It looks great to me.

Heres the strike package of my other 1/48th valk. Im leaving the covers loose to show off the engines. The fact that the lower edges are slightly warped helped me make that decision but they look ok when resting on it so im not too concerned. The subassembly isnt attached yet i still need to paint the fuselage, gear doors and arms but ill have those base coated tonight. This one wont be heavily weathered since it was brand new when Hikaru got it. Im just going to do a line wash and subtle pastel finishes to suggest use but not combat.

post-2293-1125423355_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125423382_thumb.jpg

last, here's my finished VF-0. I also just noticed I need to touch up the seam line on the fuselage. I alsmost snapped the kit in two when I was sticking on the little orange bits on the nose.

vfzero014ch.th.jpg vfzero103ng.th.jpg vfzero0117hh.th.jpg vfzero121ug.th.jpg

324420[/snapback]

That build looks sweet, love the color scheme. Looks like when you put those orange inserts in it split the whole side of the fuselge. That doesn't look like a touch-up job more like a do-over.

This is as far as i go tonight. the fuselage is painted and the major detils are picked out. It is also clear coated for decals and a wash. Im going to let it sit for a day so the paint can cure. Enjoy! :D

post-2293-1125433466_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125433496_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125433524_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125433558_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

That build looks sweet, love the color scheme. Looks like when you put those orange inserts in it split the whole side of the fuselge. That doesn't look like a touch-up job more like a do-over.

324543[/snapback]

haha, that's EXACTLY what happened. I almost cried. Seriosly. My wife heard me yelling "NO NO NO NO NO!" from downstairs and thought I was dying or something. :D

...and the skygrasper. This and the PG Strike have the best decals! lol, I didn't notice the paint smudge on the tailfin until just now.  <_<

That's a cool looking fighter, what scale is that?

324469[/snapback]

That's the 1/60 Skygrasper that comes with the Aile striker for the PG Strike Gundam: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN934101

This is as far as i go tonight. the fuselage is painted and the major detils are picked out. It is also clear coated for decals and a wash. Im going to let it sit for a day so the paint can cure. Enjoy! :D

324560[/snapback]

great detail! That derseves a diorama scene to show it off.

Got her up on her gear. The legs were uneven in length when they were molded so i tried to take this int account when i assembled them to make sure they both ended at the same spot when on the aircraft. This will also be hidden even more when the FAST packs are installed. I didnt paint the outside of the legs because i need to glue the fastpacks to them and paint would kill the adhesion of the glue. I am also done with most of the wash work.

post-2293-1125515273_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125515292_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125515317_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125515348_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125515369_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Final pics for the night. All the FAST pack equipment is finished except for the thrusters that mount to them. I will be adding those after final decals are applied, i dont want them snapping off repeatedly.

While mounting the Leg packe i noticed that one of the packs was also shorter than the other. Bad thing is the shorter one mounted to the longer of the 2 legs <_< . So having a leftover legpack from the Max rebuild i stripped it down,repainted it and it fit perfectly :D This also helps hide the fact one leg is shorter than the other. The only way you can really tell is if you hold it upside down(see attached pic) one landing gear strut is further forward than the other. Aside from some light postshading i will be doing tomorrow the kit has to stay as is for a week or so since im wating on a decal sheet from Devin which has all the markings you could think of for this kit. So thats it for now. keep your eyes peeled later on down the road.

post-2293-1125531007_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125531032_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125531062_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125531101_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125531125_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125531145_thumb.jpg

Impressive as always HWR! Is that the Reliant inthe background? I've got one of those too. Haven't started it yet though -not sure if I want to do all the work to make it accurate or just build right out of the box. Makes for a good size ref for that valk though, Wow that is a big kit! hadn't realised the size of it 'till I saw these pics. :blink:

Chas, thanks and yes that is the Reliant in the background, The kit is accurate from my standpoint it looks fine to me. i dont really care if the torpedo shape is wrong in some way by 1mm or some other little problem that i have seen make some people refuse to buy the kit. Thats for the people who paint aztec panels one at a time and use a micrometer to make sure they are in the right place to worry about. I plan on lighting this kit and have started runing wires and lights into it. Its my favorite of the big starships, it just looks sleek.

Armentage, I have no idea how big it is compared ot a Yammie. I dont own one so i have never been able to tell. I have heard that they are pretty close though.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im much happier with how this one is turning out. The first one i built nomatter how many times i washed it didnt want to hold the paint on it. But i solved that problem and it now resides as the beat up Max version.

Edited by HWR MKII

Since both valks are on hold awaiting decals ill be working on this which just arrived in the mail today :D It will get a custom zimmerit coating and be full function just like its brother who sadly has been gutted to support other R/C tanks when it sheared its track tension adjust ment axle

post-2293-1125596803_thumb.jpg

HWR MKII... you always amaze me at how much you get done. Are there 75 hours in a day where you live? I'm jealous. I get about an hour or two a week to work on my models.

325123[/snapback]

No kidding dude, kids, work, wife hellooooo?

He He :D I just like to maximize my time. My wife is usually in the room with me when im working on my models so i spend time with her while i work. Either that or she is studying for school. Im in the military so after work i dont have many other concerns. Model building is my main hobby, then fixing real tanks at the museum, Then my car. I am sure to take care of my wife and work first. I also have many models going on at the same time ,half of which you havnt seen :blink: I have the new 88 flak cannon from DML along with their early tiger, 2 Starships, A sheridan tank, the Chieftain from Reign of Fire :o . Alot sit for a while until i can find good references them. Once i find them i am able to quickly build them. Model construction is usually quick for me, I like to take more time on my final finish.

If you guys ever want to know how i do something just ask it wont be any trouble to go into detail about a method i use. :D

We also dont have any kids yet , But i have been trying to shift to chemically safer methods of construction and painting for the day we do. Things like acrylic paints, quick dry childproof bottle cements, and if i ever have to use thinners I try to find a low odor one as well.

Edited by HWR MKII

Anybody want a spare set of tiger1 tracks? I still have the metal ones left from the one that died so i wont need the ones in this kit :D I have started to apply the zimmerit but i ran out of white putty so i cant finish that til tomorrow :( But since i know this thing like the back of my hand i should have a rolling chassis by tonight :D:p:blink:

Anybody want a spare set of tiger1 tracks? I still have the metal ones left from the one that died so i wont need the ones in this kit :D  I have started to apply the zimmerit but i ran out of white putty so i cant finish that til tomorrow :( But since i know this thing like the back of my hand i should have a rolling chassis by tonight  :D  :p  :blink:

325362[/snapback]

I'd raise my hand up and scream but I have no idea what I'd do with the bloody things. Anybody? Bueller?

Me too. I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a reason to pick up those tracks. I have a vague idea of using them as part of the background/setting in a diorama. A diorama of what..I have no clue. :D

they just look so darn cool! :p

HWR, you should propose a contest for the most imaginative use of your spare tracks! :lol:

Edited by jardann

:D Actually im suprised there has been no kind of model contest on here at all. If there is one be sure to wait until after january to have it since ill be leaving the country for 4 months soon <_<

If anyone does want them though just say so on here and pm me with price and address and ill get back to you. Im not looking to scalp anyone on them since i already have an unbreakable set of them

Wonder where your going..Anyways thier was this real nice hobby shop in my town but it went out of buisness and stoped..They had real detailed kits on display and had tiger tracks the last time Iv been thier. Man I have to go farther now for paint, supplies, and etc :( ...

Mig-31, made in the Ukraine by ICM. So far I have only complete the cockpit. The detail on this kit is not great, but hey, it was only $7.00. It has lots of fine panel lines on the exterior, but I don't know if they will survive painting and still be able to take an oil paint wash. :( We will see. In an atempt to speed things up I rendered the cockpit details with permanent felt tip pens (metalic sharpies rock). I don't think much of this will be visible when the tiny canopy is in place. :p

post-395-1125712300_thumb.jpg

post-395-1125712325_thumb.jpg

post-395-1125712450_thumb.jpg

I had never thought of using fine tipped sharpies that way :blink: The effect looks great :D Im going to have to try that on my 1/35 MI-24 Hind when i get to it.

I wanted to post these last night but was having camera troubles <_< As i said rolling chassis and then some. I managed to complete the zimmerit. Zimmerit is a anti magnetic paste applied to german tanks during the war to keep russian infantry from slapping magnetic mines on the hull. It keeps the mine away from the metal, and reduces the surface area it could grip on. I simulated this with Squadron white putty. Apply the putty in a 1mm thick layer then use a plastic comb cut up into different pieces to use as screeding tools. Drag the finer portions of the comb through the putty before it dries and you have instant zimmerit. In 1.35 scale the method is the same but you use an exacto razor saw. Not many early tigers had this applied but i have found some photo references of it.

post-2293-1125754819_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125754841_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1125754875_thumb.jpg

@ P.W.Royce : do you think it's worth the time and effort that little kit? I've been looking at 'm but wasn't sure. Last former Soviet kit I've bought was c@@#. A Frogfoot, with nice exterior detail, but major fit problems. :( It ended up as a toy for my oldest <_<

@ HWR don't you just like Trumpeteer for the huge models ? Besides the Hind I've got myself the A10 with updatesets from Cutting Edge (Both interior and exterior sets). If you ever need detail pics or anything, I've got an amazing photobook on the Hind. About 300 pages al nice detail shots per model ever made :D