What is lying on your workbench?

The Tomcat looks great! Good weathering (not overdone) and smooooth paint. It's easy to spoil the look with lumps. It's hard to tell the size/scale except for your text and fingers in the photo. Stick that puppy under glass or in a curio!

Now that things have calm down somewhat from Hurricane Katrina here is a pic of some kits I'm working on.

346041[/snapback]

What, only 4 things at once?

Kylwell,

What ever happened to your super rusted Zaku?

Have you finished it, or is it still in the "In Progress"

column? I am really eager to see how it turned out.

Thanks

AZRhino

346320[/snapback]

It's done. Even have pictures taken. Just haven't had the chance to put them up.

But here's something to keep you satified.

post-2651-1132624735_thumb.jpg

Here's what I've been working on for the past several months. Not exactly on my workbench at this point. It's almost done except for the cockpit piece, so the completed parts are moved to the display case.

Will post better pics once it's finished.

post-425-1132912011_thumb.jpg

It's done. Even have pictures taken. Just haven't had the chance to put them up.

But here's something to keep you satified.

346407[/snapback]

I spent a good amount of time drooling over the pics of that model posted on the "other site." Excelent work.

Tanks Mule.

My current projetc is a VF-22s. Added some detail to the cockpit walls, more struts & wire to he landing gear bays and did some work on that gaping hole in the back. Thank goodness for Wave option parts.

post-2651-1133369208_thumb.jpg

post-2651-1133369225_thumb.jpg

post-2651-1133369240_thumb.jpg

post-2651-1133369255_thumb.jpg

The wires you added in the wheel wells look awesome man, care to explain your technique for doing it?

348636[/snapback]

Really thin wire, wrap loosely around 2 fingers (about 5 times IIRC). Flatten between fingertips to form a kinda ribbon look. Trim off one end and glue the other end with CA. So now you have (hopefully) a bunch of wires laying next to each other secured at one end by glue.

Then the tricky part.

Figure out your starting point, this wil be where the glued end will be. Using what ever tools sound good bench and shape the wires to give you a general layout. Then using fingers and soft erasers mash the wires into place to shape them around the ribs & what-not. Then glue the glued end down (you may need to trim the knob of glue off) and finish shaping the wires and carefully glueing them down where they run over the tops of things.

If you're needing to thread the wires through holes in a bulk head do that first before glueing the wire set down.

Easy right?

Guest Bromgrev
Really thin wire, wrap loosely around 2 fingers (about 5 times IIRC). Flatten between fingertips to form a kinda ribbon look. Trim off one end and glue the other end with CA. So now you have (hopefully) a bunch of wires laying next to each other secured at one end by glue.

Then the tricky part.

Figure out your starting point, this wil be where the glued end will be. Using what ever tools sound good bench and shape the wires to give you a general layout. Then using fingers and soft erasers mash the wires into place to shape them around the ribs & what-not. Then glue the glued end down (you may need to trim the knob of glue off) and finish shaping the wires and carefully glueing them down where they run over the tops of things.

If you're needing to thread the wires through holes in a bulk head do that first before glueing the wire set down.

Easy right?

348658[/snapback]

Excellent stuff, Kylwell! You should cross-post in the "How To" section.

348658[/snapback]

I'd figured you'd probably started with a ribbon cable, like the ones floppy drives and (up 'til SATA) hard disks are connected by in your average computer... is there any reason not to, or did you just not have one to hand? 80-wire IDE ("ultra-ATA") cables are pretty damn thin, and still generally stiff enough to hold a bit of a shape while being glued. Anyone who's been building PCs for any length of time probably has a halfdozen lying around spare. ;-)

Well, got rid of most that junk a while back and had the 29 gauge wire sitting around. It's really not that hard to get it to lay flat, it's the bending and shaping that's a pain.

A few days ago I put some hours of work into this Xabungle Dugger type. I´ve begun with it in February if I remember correctly but haven´t had much time to go on with it. Still, this is one of my favourite non-Macross designs. It is a Bandai kit from 1983 and incredibly detailed, over 200 parts and it features polycaps. Apart from the fiddly construction this is on par with a MG Gundam kit except that it looks better ;) (OK I´m not a big Gundam fan...)

post-2845-1133976252_thumb.jpg

What show is the Dugger on honneamise?  I've never seen that design before.

350494[/snapback]

Xabungle!

Nice work on it too.

Bromgrev it´s all acrylics. The light brown is "sail colour" from Gunze, I intended it for my VF1-D´s and VT-1´s but decided to try it on this one first. The turquoise blue is a leftover colour I had mixed as "swimming pool colour" :D for a hotel model.

Xabungle seems strange - noone seems to have ever watched this show yet the model kits pop up every few years. As far as I know Xabungle is by Tomino who also created Gundam. It seems to be a post-3rd WW earthbound story with privileged people living in domed cities while others struggle in the contaminated world outside... from the few screenshots I know of it looks like Mad Max with mecha.

Strangely, I first saw some of the kits back in´85 and I didn´t like them at all, especially when compared to Macross. A few years ago when they were reissued I realized they are IMO the only designs that could actually rival Macross!

The main machine, the Xabungle, looks rather lame-ass, but (most of) the other Walker Machines as they call them are excellent designs with a realistic feel to it. They don´t have these Gundamish superhero-like faces but have rather truck-like cabins (pilots seem to live in their machines) and many tank-like accessoires like winches, tools and jerrycans attached to their bodies. None too-overwhelming weaponry, most only have one heavy gun or a missile launcher and some machine guns as fighting seems to be just one of their purposes. I really like those guys, you can check HLJ, they still have some left from the latest reissue.

Guest Bromgrev
The turquoise blue is a leftover colour I had mixed as "swimming pool colour"  :D for a  hotel model.

350602[/snapback]

Serendipity! I would never have thought of combining those two colours, but they really work together. Are you using acrylics for the wash, too?

Sorry about all the questions - I'm gearing up to restart my modelling days next year, hence the burning need for information. :p

The turquoise blue is a leftover colour I had mixed as "swimming pool colour"  :D for a  hotel model.

350602[/snapback]

Serendipity! I would never have thought of combining those two colours, but they really work together. Are you using acrylics for the wash, too?

Sorry about all the questions - I'm gearing up to restart my modelling days next year, hence the burning need for information. :p

350636[/snapback]

You´re welcome Bromgrev! - It´s all acrylics but no real wash, it is a(very)diluted brown/black airbrushed on, then I take a Q-tip with some soap and brush over it again - this creates streaks and irregularities and makes it look less airbrushed.

I had problems creating washes with acrylics. While the area is wet (with water, no alcohol or tamiya thinner here, it will dilute the base colour) the wash flows around rivets and into recessed panels etc etc. as it should - but as it dries, the paint tends to come out again and then it settles on the surface where it shouldn´t, leaving the recesses with just some dirty looking residue. Maybe I just haven´t found the right technique so far... <_< still, the airbrushing method works fine and is quite controllable...

Another great method for applying dirt/rust etc. is using pastels - just grind them and brush the powder you´ve created over the desired area, then wipe away the excess - but be sure to fix it all with a clear coat when you´re finished or you will have fingerprints all over your model, your fingers, your glass of beer, everywhere!! ;)

Guest Bromgrev

I've used pastels before (messy doesn't begin to describe it), but I've never got an acrylic wash to work, either - at least now I know it's not just me. Q-tips, huh? I'm gonna have to give that a go. I like the streaky look on mecha, but brushes tend to produce too much of a good thing in that regard. Your method looks like the way forward.

EDIT: You should definitely cross-post this in the 'how-to' forum ...

Edited by Bromgrev

The  legioss soldier tread is what I just finished. 

I made it in the contest Klywell and threatening the airbrush did not work.  ;)

351835[/snapback]

It's worked for me in the past. I usually threaten to run something nasty through it.

Looks good, glad you were able to get it in.