What is lying on your workbench?

As far as the fins explanation that's pretty straightforward.  They fold, just like many modern missiles do out of the shoot have folding fins and they popout.

They can fold all they like, I still don't believe they're fitting in there. ;-)

(But yeah, mainly 'cause I made the rear end of the missile too wide, compared to the art I could find...)

So how did you make the little missile?

330758[/snapback]

Started with a bit of 3mm styrene rod, stuck it in the end of my dremel and used that as a lathe to saw the grooves and bevel the ends of the front part (after throwing away two previous attempts ;-), mounted that on brass rod, cut the fins out of sheet styrene and superglued them onto the rod, then filled in the gaps with milliput and shaped that to fit... mostly by holding a dampened sculpting tool in place and rotating the missile underneath it.

I'm not going to even try and cut those little grooves in the side at this scale, I don't want to push my luck...

Edited by Sar

No pictures, just a list.

Finishing MG Zaku rustbucket

Starting PG Zaku

Starting AT-AT towtruck

Middle P:SOZ base

Frell I am sooo behind.

gads

HWR MKII wanted me to let everybody know that he made it to teh desert ok. For some reason the tilters won't let him log on here but will let him log onto Starship Modeler. All if well and he hopes to figure out the poblem and be able to join the ranks of MW yet again.

HWR MKII wanted me to let everybody know that he made it to teh desert ok. For some reason the tilters won't let him log on here but will let him log onto Starship Modeler. All if well and he hopes to figure out the poblem and be able to join the ranks of MW yet again.

332188[/snapback]

Good news. Hope he gets back safe. My GI speak is poor... what are tilters?

This week, I have mostly been preshading. Well, and filling and sanding and stuff, but the preshading was the most fun bit. Unfortunately I decided it would be a good idea to ink the panel lines while I was home ill from work today with a headache that stopped me concentrating on things... it turns out it stopped me concentrating on panel lining, too (suprise!) so some of them are a little on the wonky side. I figure it's probably OK since the preshading is only for hinting really anyway. I'll see how it goes...

I've also played around a bit with a couple of camo schemes, since forest-green-with-lurid-red-and-clean-white-trim doesn't really do anything for me; the one below is my favourite so far - opinions would, of course, be appreciated!

post-2698-1128040536.jpg

post-2698-1128040557_thumb.png

Ok... this is the big thing I've been working on this year... my son William.

post-99-1128281038_thumb.jpg

I also have my Macross VF-11 Jamming bird (see next to the new model base for Macross from modelbaseguy). I have an acrylic rod drilled and inserted to hold him when he's done.

post-99-1128281226_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's a couple pics of my Fine Molds Slave 1. It is a mostly scratchbuilt cockpit. I used a couple pics that I saw in Star Wars Chronicles as my guide.

post-99-1128281239_thumb.jpg

post-99-1128281269_thumb.jpg

post-99-1128281297_thumb.jpg

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

hi guys, it´s been a long time since my last post........ok long story, but well.....

anyways this is my latest work, not finnished yet but getting close..... these pics shows my F-16 with a gloss coat, but I already have applied a matt coat, but I haven´t taken pics of it yet.

The Kit:

F-16CJ Block 50, Hasegawa 1/72.

Aftermarkets:

1 GDAM from hasegawa´s weapons set VII

Decals:

Kit´s decals

Scratch:

.-seatbelts

.-FOD covers made out of metallic foil

....Let me know what do you think.... Regards

DSC03192.jpg

DSC03191.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

DSC03188.jpg

DSC03187.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

Omega One---I'm very interested in how you weathered that.  I have several copies of that kit (haven't built any yet, plan to make Block 30B, 40, and 42 from them)

333428[/snapback]

I have that exact same kit too. What I'm more wondering about is about any problems you may have had while building it.

Looks great!

Thank you guys for the comments.

Answering your questions:

David Hingtgen: The weathering, well firts of all I used flat black to pre-shaded it. Then it was painted with several light coats of the base colors. Once these was done I post-shaded the panels with a mixture of the base color and white to tone it down.

After all these was done, I gave the kit about two or three coats of Future with a A good a clean brush.

Once dry, I used a mix of Winsor & Newton burnt sienna oil paint and Humbrol flat back to make a wash. The wash was cleaned up with an old cotton t-shirt and Q-tips.

Then I used a dry pastel pencil to make some details.

Then future coats .... and now the Flat coats.

That´s it I guess.

VF-19:/U] Actually a very easy kit, but you´ll see a coupe of small gaps between the fuselage and wings, a small gap between the intake and the rest of the fuselage, another thing is the union of both parts of the fuselage in the front part of the plane around the nose.

NOT A BIG DEAL after a little putty, sanding and nail polish remover.

Well i´m glad you like it, and i will post more pics once is done.

Regards

Regards

333601[/snapback]

You did your nails while doing the model??!! Man you're good :lol:

Thank you guys for the comments.

Answering your questions:

David Hingtgen: The weathering, well firts of all I used flat black to pre-shaded it. Then it was painted with several light coats of the base colors. Once these was done I post-shaded the panels with a mixture of the base color and white to tone it down.

After all these was done, I gave the kit about two or three coats of Future with a A good a clean brush.

Once dry, I used a mix of Winsor & Newton burnt sienna oil paint and Humbrol flat back to make a wash. The wash was cleaned up with an old cotton t-shirt and Q-tips.

Then I used a dry pastel pencil to make some details.

Then future coats .... and now the Flat coats.

That´s it  I guess.

VF-19:/U] Actually a very easy kit, but you´ll see a coupe of small gaps between the fuselage and wings, a small gap between the intake and the rest of the fuselage, another thing is the union of both parts of the fuselage in the front part of the plane around the nose.

Regards

333601[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up on the gaps. Personally, I'm probably going to go the Mr. Surfacer 500 route myself, a bit less messier than putty...

One more question about the kit: I've noticed that your canopy isn't quite flush with the body of the plane. Is that just your plane, or did you have problems with the canopy fit?

Grayson72 Posted Yesterday, 03:55 PM

You did your nails while doing the model??!! Man you're good 

Funny dude, very funny <_< ...... read this please ...Filling without sanding ;)

VF-19 Posted Today, 04:56 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the gaps. Personally, I'm probably going to go the Mr. Surfacer 500 route myself, a bit less messier than putty...

One more question about the kit: I've noticed that your canopy isn't quite flush with the body of the plane. Is that just your plane, or did you have problems with the canopy fit?

OH MAN!!! I wish I could find some Mr. Surface´s stuff down HERE!!!!

Anyways..... about the canopy, well it doesn´t look flush with the fuselage because i´m going to leave it in open possition.

Still!!! the canopy doesn´t fit perfectly, you´ll need to do some sanding and filling if you are gonna leave it close.

Regards to all

Hey thanks for the link, how well has this technique worked for you?

I wonder if it would work with Tamiya putty?

Thanks

Edited by Grayson72

Vince Posted Yesterday, 08:08 PM

very nice, Omega One 

Thanks Vince!!!

Grayson72 Posted Yesterday, 03:22 PM

Hey thanks for the link, how well has this technique worked for you?

I wonder if it would work with Tamiya putty?

Thanks

Grayson: thankfully these technique has worked for me pretty well, but you have to be carefull though, because the ACETONE melts plastic. Just try to not over pass the Q-tip or the cotton cloth.

BTW works great with tamiya putty. it´s only thing that i can get down here.

Regards

Hey I used your technique tonight! Worked really well for the application I was using it for.

Not sure it would work that well if you were trying to achieve a perfectly smooth surface over a large area.

I used Lacquer thinner with Q-tips

Thanks again

Edited by Grayson72

I usually work on one project at a time.

Well this is my first time doing both a Hasegawa and Macross related kit. It's a very basic VF-1A and I'll pretty much just follow what's on the box, however add my few touches to it. I'm most worried about the fitting and taking out the seams at this moment, and I'm about step 12ish where I just finished doing the landing gear. It's all flat white now, but I'll be doing a wash over it with some dark grey and left over hull red.

After I'll take a break and perhaps start on the VF-1D Trainer.