Newbie Questions on Macross

I doubt that Britai only ever consulted him to help solve the morning crossword...:p

You never know.... :)

I want to know about the limits of the pinpoint barrier system and whether a giant green spot could be placed on a mech to cover its whole body to make it theoretically invincible.

We don't know the actual limits of PPBs or ODBs (although that one episode in SDF Macross shows us that that there are limits, nonetheless). That's never been gone into detail by the powers-that-be.

They managed to create a barrier that covered the whole sdf1 in "force of arms", so why not the whole earth?

The power requirements would probably make me choke...and then some. There are limits, even in Macross.

Maybe bowman's still alive and is just hiding?  Could it be possible he ejected before the thing exploded and ended up marrying lucy and having kids with her after Dyson dropped the crazy stalker?

I'll leave that to your fan-fic imagination....

Perhaps like (the robotech version of) britai, he got metal plates on his face from the injury of the explosions and wanders around having lost his memory of the incident, but a side effect of that is his temper is gone?

No comment.

And which events are canon in Macross plus? OVA or movie version?

Neither and both.

Egan sums it up best:

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...2040/index.html

A more detailed version is,

Macross Plus is about Project Super Nova, in which the UN held a competition, between the YF-19 and the YF-21, to determine which fighter would become the next-generation main-variable fighter. Also during that time, the music idol, Sharon Apple, was able to gain control of all computers on Earth, causing an incident. :)

Edited by azrael

I ask because the sdf1 looked all beat up and crippled (with little pieces breaking off) after the destrction of Bodol's ship so I would say the barrier was only enough to absorb some damage but not protect entirely. Nothing is ever pefect. In "Global report" he mentions working on a barrier that can cover the entire ship. I found that to be interesting because if they could perfect this technology, it would make PPB obsolete provided there were no limits to having a barrier for a whole ship.

I'm thinking the sdf1 is maybe similar to the alien ship in independance day (it had some kind of permanent force field) only the difference here might be that the full barrier for SDF1 can't be sustained for long periods of time if used to cover the whole thing.

As for the Sharon Apple Incident: It's an interesting weakness of human weapons with regards to the self aware AI that managed to take control of all the computers.

In independance day all they needed to beat the aliens was a virus (probably a microsoft windows program lol) to kill it's defenses. Now if any future aliens want a crack at exposing SDF weaknesses they need only to create AI weapons or virii. It doesn't go into much detail into how Sharon could control everything, but I'm guessing she used a combination of "manchurian candidate-style" hypnosis/mindcontrol (of the crew, similar to the crowds in the concert who looked half drugged imo :D ) and terminator 3-style hacking. I don't quite get why the guards would want to shoot myung in the elevator unless they were given subliminal messages to kill through some form of hypnosis.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I ask because the sdf1 looked all beat up and crippled (with little pieces breaking off) after the destrction of Bodol's ship so I would say the barrier was only enough to absorb some damage but not protect entirely. Nothing is ever pefect. In "Global report" he mentions working on a barrier that can cover the entire ship. I found that to be interesting because if they could perfect this technology, it would make PPB obsolete provided there were no limits to having a barrier for a whole ship.

The problem is (as you've seen) that the full-on barrier is unstable and prone to explode. It may be that scientists in a Macross story as of yet untold realized that there was no way that they could make a full-around field that wouldn't detonate, causing a catastrophe like the one over Ontario.

If Egan Loo is still watching, I wonder if he can say if there is an official "correct" way to pronounce Macross in English. In particular, does the second syllable rhyme with "cross", or does it have a long o, or something else? And which syllable is accented?

Unfortunately, the question is not if there's the "official" way, but which "official" way. ;) You can pop in Super Spacefortress Macross, Macross: A Future Chronicle, Macross Plus International Version, and so on, and hear several different ways Macross is pronounced in English.

Fortunately, you don't have to worry about being too precise--I've heard English-speaking fans pronounce the name in all sorts of ways to the creators, and the creators usually understand what's being said. :)

What does FAST stand for? :blink:

Isn't it

Fuel, Armour, Sensor, Tactical?

Or maybe it doesn't really stand for anything, it just makes the Valk look like it goes really fast. I think it comes with a Type-R sticker, doesn't it?

Does anyone ever point at a pirate movie and go "How come Long John Silver only has one eye?"

Heh...nice touch! ;)

Actually, I think Long John Silver was just missing one leg... :p

yeah i know, completely out of topic...

I know, but it's a well-recognized pirate name.

What does GBP stand for? :blink:

You missed the conversation about a page back. Go read.

What does FAST stand for?

Fuel And Sensor Tactical

Edited by azrael

the skull squadron is based on the sdf-1 or armd-01? in the macross do you remember love movie they were taking off from the armd-01.

i buy the 1/48 roy's vf-1s last week and i dont know what sticker goes on the tailfin. armd-01 or sdf-1. :(

Depends on which series you want.

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/f/....html#FockerRoy

SDF Macross: (specifcally Roy) CVS-101 Prometheus (SDF-1 Macross)

SDF Macross DYRL?: ARMD-01 (SDF-1 Macross)

The Yammie 1/48 is from DYRL?. So if you want to parallel DYRL?, put on ARMD-01. Otherwise, it's there for you to customize.

Is it Mardook or Marduk?

The Compendium uses "Mardook". Manga Entertainment uses "Marduk". In the series, it is pronouced ma-ru-duu-ka (or -ku, I can't tell). In either case, it is a raising "u" sound. It will depend how you pronounce that raising "u".

Edited by azrael

Thanks for the FAST answer ;)

About the GBP, is ist now official Ground Battle Protector?

Oh an I spotted a conversation about the reactant for the Valkyrie engines...

You can either accept this info with good will or not but here it goes: The reactant is D²O or Di-Deuterium Oxide, Heavy Water on other words and is stored in small tanks in engine bays. The tankage is 12.9 litres....

It's an info from japanese sources but I read it on a robotech site, so believe it or hate it :D

OK I've seen standard gunpods (GU-11) and some really big guns (VF-11 Full Armor gun), but are there any long range VF or Zentraedi sniper type guns?

We have yet to see any.

The standard VF in batteroid mode has dozens upon dozens of highly articulate joints and appendages, and moves quite fluidly, as if it were alive. How does a pilot control this highly complicated piece of machinery so well with such seemingly limited controls (joysticks and footpedals seem to be the center of the control scheme)?

I remember reading that their is a minor reference to Protoculture in the original SDF Macross series, is this true or is this because of Robotechs heavy influence. Also, is protoculture the same thing as 'overtechnology'?

I remember reading that their is a minor reference to Protoculture in the original SDF Macross series, is this true or is this because of Robotechs heavy influence. Also, is protoculture the same thing as 'overtechnology'?

Protoculture referred to in several instances in SDF Macross. However, Protoculture is not the protoculture of Robotech.

Protoculture is not the same a Overtechnology.

Please read:

http://protoculture.lebhead.com/

http://macross.anime.net/fallacies/errata/robotech_faq/

Sort of, no, and no. In that order.

The word protoculture is in the original japanese one. From before Robotech existed.

They even say "protoculture". Not the japanese equivalent, the english word. Well, tehy actiually say something like "purotocultaa", but it's just an accent.

The Robotech adapters just picked out the one word they understood and made it special.

Protoculture in Macross is what it says. The first culture in the galaxy. Creators of the zentradi, architects of humanity's evolution.

In Robotech it's some sort of magic voodoo battery.

Not at all similar.

In Robotech it's some sort of magic voodoo battery.

No...thats the novels take on Robotech. The Tv series isnt specific any more than we know Protoculture is used in generating immense power (which suggests its involved in advanced nuclear fusion). Its referred to as both a substance (which isnt defined) and a process (good luck trying to understand that). The only 'mystical' properties in the show is the apparent religious overtones that Masters/Zor Lords have for the Flower of Life.

what episode is this from? i don't remember this in robotech i'm asumeing it was cut..

i do love me some shirtless misa, even if she's in the process of taking it off.

post-2-1088656003.jpg

what episode is this from? i don't remember this in robotech i'm asumeing it was cut..

i do love me some shirtless misa, even if she's in the process of taking it off.

Let's see......I do believe it was episode 28.

This has been bugging me ever since I got DYRL on DVD (thanks Kevin!). When Hikaru and crew make their final assault on Bodolza, Hikaru flies in and launches a wave of missles to clear a path. Well, I was taking some screen captures and noticed that there was some kanji written on one of them missles. Obviously, this was put in by one of the animators, but does anyone know what it says? "Yo Joe!" or "Macross Rules!"

in the picture i posted above, can someone explain whats going on? is misa just getting dressed, or was there some iminent tom foolery about to happen?

just a quick breakdown of the scene is all i ask. thanks.

in the picture i posted above, can someone explain whats going on? is misa just getting dressed, or was there some iminent tom foolery about to happen?

She grabs a hold of them and sings, "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."

:lol:

Nothing happens she's changing her clothes. It pretty ends there. No they don't cut to her pulling off her skirt too, sorry.

As I recall, she's changing into uniform.

Dun recall the exact episode, but it's post-war. Renegade Zentradi attack, Misa cancels her day off.

The scene cuts out pretty much there, as Focker said.

Question: What is Magaroad? And how does this SegaSaturn bootlet relate to it, hence burying that beaten, dead horse?

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/Megaroad.html

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronology/2010/

See September 2012.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronology/2013/

See 2016 entry.

I assume the SegaSaturn booklet has some information bearing on what is known about the Megaroad-01's disappearance.

Who drew the art for macross? I love the artwork pasted on the artbooks, Macross 7 Trash covers, DVD covers, and eyecatches on the PS2 game. Where can i find online scans of his stuff?