Newbie Questions on Macross

Correct me if I'm wrong but what happens to the pilot's seat when going from Fighter to Battroid Mode?

I know the seat rotates 90 degrees upward.

BUT does it also move INTO the chest area?

It doesn't move 90 degrees upwards, maybe 50-60 degrees.The pilot is still tilted downwards, acccording to Mac Zero anyway. Pilot is still in the cockpit.

I think it is a full 90 degree rotation mainly due to the scenes in ep 2 (or whatever) when we see Hikaru exit from his D whilst talking to Minmay. Looks like a straight up move to me.

That scene in Mac Plus where Isamu is facing downwards really bugs me.

probably a transition,in battroid pilots go to the head in an elevator almost instantly through a super magnet tube

The pilot definitely is never "in" the head. When exiting a Valk in battroid mode, the pilot's seat elevates upwards while the head tilts, so that the seat comes out the neck.

Normal piloting position while in battroid is somewhere in the cockpit or chest area (which is the bone of contention in this question). The DYRL scene where Roy dies shows that the pilot is in the chest/cockpit area.

The cockpit stays in chest (or torso, as you prefer), protected by a 'shield' (that place with the Skull) over the canopy.

The rotation is probably 90 degree, like you can see at Macross Zero ova 1.

probably a transition,in battroid pilots go to the head in an elevator almost instantly through a super magnet tube

It's the VF-1 Valkyrie, not the MSN-04 Sazabi... :huh:

The cockpit stays in chest (or torso, as you prefer), protected by a 'shield' (that place with the Skull) over the canopy.

The rotation is probably 90 degree, like you can see at Macross Zero ova 1.

It's the VF-1 Valkyrie, not the MSN-04 Sazabi... :huh:

Its hard to tell from Macross Zero OVA 4, but there is certainly a rotation of the seat somewhat when changing battroid mode. The scene where Roy crashes and bails outta the cockpit by ejecting the heat shield and canopy, it would seem that the chair stays there but it folds. The head rest and seat actually slide up and the arm rest folds down. I direct you to timestamp 31:21. I'd take a screnshot but i'm late for work. So the pilot is ALMOST in a standing position in Battroid mode.

It seems that the pilot does move up a little bit in the chest near where the airbrake is located. In Macross TV when Britai rips part of the chest off Hikaru's 1J it appears that he is not directly under the heat shield where the seat would be located in fighter mode. So I believe there is a 90 degree back rotation and a slide upwards of about 2-3 feet into an area with more monitors.

It seems that the pilot does move up a little bit in the chest near where the airbrake is located. In Macross TV when Britai rips part of the chest off Hikaru's 1J it appears that he is not directly under the heat shield where the seat would be located in fighter mode. So I believe there is a 90 degree back rotation and a slide upwards of about 2-3 feet into an area with more monitors.

I agree with you.

Okay kids, pull out your Yamatos. Now transform that VF-1 from fighter to Battroid.

Now when yo get to here:

transformation5.jpg

STOP!

Let's take a look at how things are at this point.

Notice the brestplate. When you bring it down, it's going to cover part of the cockpit. In fact, it will cover right up to where the seat meets the back panels in the cockpit. If we complete the process, the breast plate would just past the seat. And when the seat rotates back, the pilot would be in the torso, where Quamzin hit Roy's VF. In fact, the monitor caves in right where it should, on Roy's upper body, IIRC.

It doesn't move 90 degrees upwards, maybe 50-60 degrees.

No, that's a bit too low. For the DYRL? VF-1, the seat rotates almost 90 degrees. Between 75-85 degrees is more appropriate (Roughly around 80). If it was 50-60, I could almost kiss the steering wheel. The VF-1 seat in SDF Macross, rotates a full 90 degrees.

That scene in Mac Plus where Isamu is facing downwards really bugs me.

Downwards? The VF-11 seat does rotate. Isamu's seat just happened to have rotated already as his VF, was changing modes. I believed I went over this some pages back. The VF pilot is always sitting upwards/face forward/perpendicular the standing Battroid/parallel to flat ground or plane. It would be awkward if they didn't.

It's the VF-1 Valkyrie, not the MSN-04 Sazabi...

Or a MSN-02 Zeong...

It doesn't move 90 degrees upwards, maybe 50-60 degrees.

No, that's a bit too low. For the DYRL? VF-1, the seat rotates almost 90 degrees. Between 75-85 degrees is more appropriate (Roughly around 80). If it was 50-60, I could almost kiss the steering wheel. The VF-1 seat in SDF Macross, rotates a full 90 degrees.

I agree. Nice graphical aid btw.

I forgot to correct myself. I THINK that the whole seat doesn't rotate 90 degrees, but rather the seat folds itself. In fighter mode, the pilot seats upright 90 degrees. In battroid mode, based on Mac Zero , the seat collapses down abit and the head rest and the back moves slightly up, making the pilot almost standing. In this stance, the pilot is still "sitting"/leaning against the chair so he doesn't stand on the footpedals that control the leg verniers in the valk.

Again I ask you guys to look at the Mac Zero 4 31:21 (sounds like a bible verse :lol: ) and you can see how the seat folds. The arm rests which have the flight stick and throttle were already folded down in this scene though, probably for an easier exit. Now look at Mac Zero 2 and go frame by frame of the transformation scene where Roy 's cockpit was moving. Though not clear enough, it does show a possibility that the whole chair doesn't rotate, but the chair folds, having Roy in an upright position during mode change.

Downwards? The VF-11 seat does rotate. Isamu's seat just happened to have rotated already as his VF, was changing modes. I believed I went over this some pages back. The VF pilot is always sitting upwards/face forward/perpendicular the standing Battroid/parallel to flat ground or plane. It would be awkward if they didn't.

But wait a minute. If I remember right Isamu was already in battroid mode for a few seconds before he opend the sheild, then flew into the 21 for a few seconds, then changed to gerwalk right when the 21 started to drop. Unless the seat has a pretty slow roatation.

But wait a minute. If I remember right Isamu was already in battroid mode for a few seconds before he opend the sheild,

Seat rotates down, shield opens. And in M0 ep 1, shield closes, seat rotates back. So the seat rotates then the heat shield moves in or out of place.

I forgot to correct myself. I THINK that the whole seat doesn't rotate 90 degrees, but rather the seat folds itself. In fighter mode, the pilot seats upright 90 degrees. In battroid mode, based on Mac Zero , the seat collapses down abit and the head rest and the back moves slightly up, making the pilot almost standing. In this stance, the pilot is still "sitting"/leaning against the chair so he doesn't stand on the footpedals that control the leg verniers in the valk.

Doubt it.

See how Roy's side stops and then goes practically perpendicular to his body. He's sitting. Try it yourself. Stand up straight. Bend your back down about 5-10 degrees while keeping your head still . Bend the knees slightly. Your eye direction should be focused at about 2-3 feet of the floor in front of you. That is awkward. Not to mention, if you bring your head up so that you are looking directly in front of you and not at the ground, you need to keep your head at the level. The pilot has to be sitting down.

Mac Zero 4 31:21

I see credits. The hh:mm:ss is 00:08:44. I should point out that his VF is not oriented upright. His VF is leaning on the Octos at about a 30-40 degree angle. You can see is right monitor angled down.

post-2-1090559921_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys but it still seems that we don't have a definitive answer.

Is the seat in the chest or cockpit area during Battroid Mode? ;)

Here's the pic of him exiting his VF.

Few secs after that scene when Roy jumps down, you can see the seat and how it folds, and the joints on the seat that made it fold. Inconclusive evidence....so shrug.

Image courtesy of 1/1 Lowviz Lurker

mechcontrolsdiag1.jpg

I somewhat agree to this design except I think the control sticks are connected to the arm rests, and the foot pedals are actually suspended like car pedals. Not connected to something on the floor. And yes he would be sitting, i just said he would be in a near-standing stance. Imagine the cockpit design of the entry plug in Evangelion. I'd imagine the pilot would be in that kinda position after transformation.

This discussion should probably go to a new thread.

Edited by wolfx

Thanks for all the replies guys but it still seems that we don't have a definitive answer.

Is the seat in the chest or cockpit area during Battroid Mode? ;)

The seat is in the cockpit. Which is located in the chest area.

Here's a doubt:

When Macross 7 starts, Millia was chronological (since her out of cloning chamber) 35 years old, but she biological age (she was 'born' 16 years old) was 51.

The Compendium about Max look: According to Haruhiko Mikimoto, Max looks so young in 2045 "because he's a genius. Growing old is a state of mind for average men. (laughs)"

But, Millia isn't a genius, so... why she looks so beauty and sexy :lol: in 2045?

Or the 'genius' for Haruhiko Mikimoto is the status of Ace/Great Warrior?

Edited by Zero Enna

Overtech face cream, of course. Guaranteed to make you look and feel 30 years younger, or your money back.

Seriously, I chalk it up to advanced medical techniques. People live longer healthier lives as technology advances. I assume we got some sort of medical advances from the crash of the Macross, instead of just laser guns, origami jets, and walking vending machines.

Overtech face cream, of course. Guaranteed to make you look and feel 30 years younger, or your money back.

Seriously, I chalk it up to advanced medical techniques. People live longer healthier lives as technology advances. I assume we got some sort of medical advances from the crash of the Macross, instead of just laser guns, origami jets, and walking vending machines.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00079.htm

The same applies to Macross.

Here's a doubt:

When Macross 7 starts, Millia was chronological (since her out of cloning chamber) 35 years old, but she biological age (she was 'born' 16 years old) was 51.

The Compendium about Max look: According to Haruhiko Mikimoto, Max looks so young in 2045 "because he's a genius. Growing old is a state of mind for average men. (laughs)"

But, Millia isn't a genius, so... why she looks so beauty and sexy :lol: in 2045?

Or the 'genius' for Haruhiko Mikimoto is the status of Ace/Great Warrior?

?

Milia isn't chronologically 35 at the start of Macross 7. There is little known evidence one way or the other that says she was 'born' at '16' either. Your suggesting she was 'born' durning Macross TV. This is incorrect. There is plenty of evidence in dialog that suggests she has been alive before the space war one.

As why she doesn't look old she's a clone. Have any of them aged? Exedol was old in Macross TV and DYRL? and he's still old.

As why she doesn't look old she's a clone. Have any of them aged? Exedol was old in Macross TV and DYRL? and he's still old.

Well, we do know that Zents age, though. Bakorela, the old, soon to be retired gunner on Kamujin's ship, for instance.

I just saw DYRL? again tonight, and I was wondering--what was the name of that 3rd Zentraedi officer that was with Britai and Exedol when they met up with Bodolza to turn in Minmay 'n L.K. after their capture?

The GU-11 is the only gunpod with strap?

I just saw DYRL? again tonight, and I was wondering--what was the name of that 3rd Zentraedi officer that was with Britai and Exedol when they met up with Bodolza to turn in Minmay 'n L.K. after their capture?

The one with purple cristal in his neck and yellow eye? I guess he isn't anyone important.

The GU-11 is the only gunpod with strap?

Most likely yes, but, no. I have seen lineart with of the VF-17's and the VF-11's gunpod with a strap. But those ideas were probably thrown out when production started.

I forgot if this was asked before but does the VF-22S still keep the "morphing" wings the YF-21 has?

Tragically, no.

dammit <_<

well...could the "morphing" wings be used in the VF-22S if installed? or would you still need the -21's cockpit system to use them?

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

I forgot if this was asked before but does the VF-22S still keep the "morphing" wings the YF-21 has?

Tragically, no.

dammit <_<

well...could the "morphing" wings be used in the VF-22S if installed? or would you still need the -21's cockpit system to use them?

Hypothetically, maybe.

You'd need a computer routine to control it, as well as an interface for the system.

The software was likely written during the YF-21 testing, so that should just need installation.

But the wiring isn't there, unless the VF-22 uses some sort of computer network for operation of peripherals(like ethernet)... which actually isn't a very implausable scenario.

But you'd have to replace the entire wing due to materials diffrences.

So there's only one major obstale instead of 3.

Tragically, no.

dammit <_<

Hypothetically, maybe.

You'd need a computer routine to control it, as well as an interface for the system.

The software was likely written during the YF-21 testing, so that should just need installation.

But the wiring isn't there, unless the VF-22 uses some sort of computer network for operation of peripherals(like ethernet)... which actually isn't a very implausable scenario.

It wasn't just an interface problem or a material problem.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...yf21/index.html

Cost-wise, the system is just too expensive for mass production.

Is there really any explaniation of how the post-Space War One UN Government functions? Is there a Senate, are colony worlds treated as member states, or did they re-build it's member countries and is more like an alliance than a single ruling entity?

Nope.

Which would you rather see more of? Politics? Or more VFs?

Are all those islands around Mayan habitated by low civilizated tribes like the main island? :huh:

Tragically, no.

dammit <_<

Hypothetically, maybe.

It wasn't just an interface problem or a material problem.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...yf21/index.html

Cost-wise, the system is just too expensive for mass production.

I wasn't going into why it was removed. I was going into what it would take to retrofit the system onto a VF-22.