Newbie Questions on Macross

Are all those islands around Mayan habitated by low civilizated tribes like the main island? :huh:

Our focus is more of the central island. However, the population does have boats so having some of it's residents on the other islands is possible.

Is there really any explaniation of how the post-Space War One UN Government functions? Is there a Senate, are colony worlds treated as member states, or did they re-build it's member countries and is more like an alliance than a single ruling entity?

Well in the years just after the Space War One (later half of the series) the provisional government seems to be martial law based in Macross city with Global pretty much acting as a dicator with other military officers advising. The New United Government was already establish during this time but from the anime it clearly looked like Global was in charge. We also see that in this period that the Government was made up of cities not nations and some these cities where leaving the UN to form City-States.

In 2014 Global's is installed as United Nations Government representative (anime.net/macross). In 2030 there's a mention of United Nations Government Chair person. We also hear about colonial disputes etc (see Macross Plus).

I would think that everything in the post era is about city/colony-states. Most of them are members of the UNG or the UNG created them but a few are not. There is reprensative government but the UNSPACY is in charge of defense and could pretty run the show if they want.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another one: What's the squadron designation tags for Variable fighters and Destroids?

Unfortunately, the focus was on Skull Squadron. We never really saw the tags for other groups, including destroids. There are, however, plenty of fan-made squadron tags out there.

What I meant was the squadron designation abbreviations.

If heavier than air fighters of the 'real' air forces have the VF ID tag (I.e. VF-103 is the jolley rogers), was it ever specified the squadron tag for Variable fighter squadrons? And how are Destroid squads designated?

Or are all of the grouped armed forces on the Macross designated by a color and/or symbol? (Vermillion, Skull, etc...)

I suppose it's too detailed for Macross to have an answer, but maybe Egan or Nanashi know.

Edited by Boxer

What I meant was the squadron designation abbreviations.

If heavier than air fighters of the 'real' air forces have the VF ID tag (I.e. VF-103 is the jolley rogers), was it ever specified the squadron tag for Variable fighter squadrons? And how are Destroid squads designated?

Or are all of the grouped armed forces on the Macross designated by a color and/or symbol? (Vermillion, Skull, etc...)

I suppose it's too detailed for Macross to have an answer, but maybe Egan or Nanashi know.

Again, the focus was on Skull. There was never a real focus on detail because Skull was the primary focus of the series.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/plus_tia.htm

This book has some squadron markings and designations done by Shigeki Ninomiya (a popular fan-artist for Macross. These are not official).

Here's yet another one.

Just about every source says that the ARMD platforms are armed with five Overtechnology guided converging beam cannons (In other words, particle beam turrets). My question is where are they exactly? They don't appear anywhere on ARMD-01, and the only cannons I can find are on ARMD-02 right in front of each engine housing (Which do not appear on ARMD-01...)

The stats COULD be referring to the TV version (In which there are five large turrets) but I thought they also traslated over to the movie version. And the macross II sourcebooks (Innacurate as they are...) indicate that at least two of the beam cannons are mounted in the nose (the 'claws' on the ARMDs).

My other question was what's the real armament of the SDF-1? I'm not concerned with the really small anti-mecha turrets and missile launchers, just the big anti-ship guns that you see dotted on the hull of the ship. Egan's stats say eight turrets but I don't belive that. There's gotta be at least thirteen(overtechnology guided converging beam canons) particle turrets in addition to the four rail guns and bow-firing main gun. And I think there's many more on the DYRL version.

Thanks in advance.

Egan's stats say eight turrets but I don't belive that. There's gotta be at least thirteen(overtechnology guided converging beam canons) particle turrets in addition to the four rail guns and bow-firing main gun. And I think there's many more on the DYRL version.

Well, you better believe it. Let's count. 1 in front of the bridge. There's 2 on each of the main cannons, total 4. 1 gun system on each of the engines, total 2. And it looks like 1 on the underside. Let's do the math.

1 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 8

Yeh! Egan is right. Yet again... <_<

The stats in the compendium seem to reflect the TV series, so those stats don't seem to apply with the DYRL? versions.

My math counts

(Storm attacker, TV version)

2 high on the chest (1 two barrel version, 1 three barrel version)

1 lower body (1 three barrel version)

2 left 'thigh' (1 two barrel version, 1 three barel version)

2 right 'thigh' (1 two barrel version, 1 three barrel version)

2 On Bow-firing booms (2 two barrel versions)

2 Back part of the legs (2 two barrel versions)

1 On right shoulder (1 thee barrel version)

1 On left shoulder (1 three barrel version)

=13 (assumed) overtechnology guided converging beam cannon systems

=5 (If double-barrel turrets are OTGCBCS weapons)

=8 (Official stats, outlined by Azrael above)

As pointed out in my dedicated thread I could bemistaking some of the turrets for missile weapons. However they would have to be really big missiles, and I don't know if there's any cannon information that they are. They could be weapons other than OTGCBCSs, or they could be the 4 high speed 178cm-diameter electromagnetic rail cannons, as told by Egan (I suppose this makes sense, as Egan's notes distinguish between turrets and not barrels.)

Any infos about the people who live on the Zola planet, in M7 Dynamite? They look human but have strange ears and some hair on the forearms... Are they related to humans, zentrans (one of them becomes a giant...) or the Protoculture?

Thanks in advance :)

Any infos about the people who live on the Zola planet, in M7 Dynamite? They look human but have strange ears and some hair on the forearms... Are they related to humans, zentrans (one of them becomes a giant...) or the Protoculture?

I answered this question a few pages back.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...rsupials&st=900

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to see Episode 27 (Love drifts away) of SDF-1 again last night, and I noticed something that I really wasn't paying attention to before. It has to do w/ the scene where HIKARU just took out a Zentraedi ship w/ his RMS-1's and immediately afterwards he was hit by a volley of enemy missiles AND survives by putting the NP-AR-1's in front of the battroid's upper torso.

My QUESTION is: was it the mere presence of those micro-missile launcher pads that saved Mr. Ichijo or was there something else to the story? I know that we can probably chalk it up to "Anime Magic" or the series creator's wish not to off their hero before the series ended, but I was kinda hoping someone would know a much better, technical answer. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long-ASS, detailed query! :D

well, if you notice what happens to his VF-1s, the arms are blown off as well... whatever hit him was packing some pretty impressive firepower so I'm going to go with the added armour of the FP and his arms saved hikaru's life.

course, if it was max, he would have jettisoned the FP armour so that there was some distance between him and the explosion and saved his arms...

well, if you notice what happens to his VF-1s, the arms are blown off as well... whatever hit him was packing some pretty impressive firepower so I'm going to go with the added armour of the FP and his arms saved hikaru's life.

And the fact that Hikaru was backing away from the missiles as they exploded. If Hikaru stayed at that spot, he would have been dead.

eugimon Posted on Aug 24 2004, 01:42 AM

course, if it was max, he would have jettisoned the FP armour so that there was some distance between him and the explosion and saved his arms

I HEARD THAT :D !! I guess HIKARU's just not that fast eventhough he's an excellent pilot. Thanks for the responses, EUGIMON 'n AZRAEL! I never even realized the 1S was backing up as it was being hit by the missiles. Just goes to show how the FP's are built so damn tough! :)

Was Kawamori the one of the creators to show up in any Macross series?

Can't recall.

Those missile launchers on the Macross, do they fire nuclear missiles?

Which one? There are lots of missile launchers on Macross. Some can fire nukes, others are too small. It depends on which missile launcher of the several dozen you are referring to.

Can you rephrase that, please?

If you're asking, did Kawamori work on every Macross series, the answer is "no", since he didn't work on Macross II. http://macross.anime.net/production/animat...gain/index.html

If you're asking, is Kawamori the only creator to get a cameo in a Macross series, I think the answer is "no". He does appear in a couple shots of the first episode of SDF Macross, as well as in a shot in DYRL. But there is also a minor character in episode 31 based somewhat on Matsuzaki Kenichi, and Minmay's manager in episode 15 is supposedly based on Mikimoto. See http://www.animeigo.com/Liner/MACROSS.t I also seem to recall that the manager's name is somehow a pun on Mikimoto's name, although I forget where I saw that.

The manager has a name? I thought he was credited as "manager..."

Can you rephrase that, please?

If you're asking, did Kawamori work on every Macross series, the answer is "no", since he didn't work on Macross II. http://macross.anime.net/production/animat...gain/index.html

If you're asking, is Kawamori the only creator to get a cameo in a Macross series, I think the answer is "no". He does appear in a couple shots of the first episode of SDF Macross, as well as in a shot in DYRL. But there is also a minor character in episode 31 based somewhat on Matsuzaki Kenichi, and Minmay's manager in episode 15 is supposedly based on Mikimoto. See http://www.animeigo.com/Liner/MACROSS.t I also seem to recall that the manager's name is somehow a pun on Mikimoto's name, although I forget where I saw that.

Yeah a cameo is what I meant.

Okay, I was misremembering about Minmay's manager. Yes, he's based on Mikimoto, no, he does not have a name which refers to Mikimoto.

What I was thinking of, instead, was the director of Shao Pai Lon. According to the Animeigo Liner Notes,

Episode 21 "Micro Cosmos" (January 2010)

The director of Shao Pai Lon ("Little White Dragon") is named Shoo Blackstone after the Macross chief director Ishiguro Noboru. ("Shoo" is an alternate reading of the kanji for Noboru, and Ishiguro literally means "stone, black.") The real-life director even voiced his fictional counterpart.

Quick question concerning Millia in M7: why does she wear a flightsuit from SDF if designs are supposed to be inspired by DYRL? :huh:

Quick question concerning Millia in M7: why does she wear a flightsuit from SDF if designs are supposed to be inspired by DYRL? :huh:

not to mention it was Hikaru's flight suit, not her own.... hmmmm... and now they are seperated....

Cuz that's her flight suit. Remember, M7 follows the SDF chronology. Not to mention Millia doesn't look quite as good in a DYRL? flight suit. :)

Thanks ewilen. I don't know if it's masaka. Actually I looked through a script, and only zentraedi say it, so it's only in the zentraedi language. I think it's something like "kanja" or "ikanja" (or that's what it sounds like to me). There doesn't seem to be any exact japanese word or phrase in the japanese subtitling (...although my grasp of japanese is very basic). Maybe the translator just liked the word "unthinkable"?