I remember the VERY last episode I saw of TKR was w hen they supposively came in contact with Michael....an dI think I briefly remember KRO...that's about it.

The show was utterly boring to me and posed little significants in my love for the original show.

But it all went down hill when KITT got busted for the......8th time? (that was sarcastic) and then turned into a super charged transforming pontiac...GO SUPER PRUSUIT MODE! :unsure:

Thus Michael and KITT have to take him down and forever finally banish big rigs to the land of "not really that cool" after they'd enjoyed a long period of bizarre popularity due to the antics of Smokey, the Bandit, BJ, and the Bear since the '70s.

I take it you didn't like The Highwayman.

Dude... the Highwayman!

Actually that show was kinda the proof that any sort of big-rig themed entertainment was dead as disco. It's a bit like putting the mirror under someone's nose after they collapse to see if they're still breathing. Or nudging a dead guy you found in the desert with your boot.

The IMDB says - "A government agent in a supertruck named "Stealth" that is loaded with ultra-high-tech weapons and a helicopter travels the highways, fighting evil."

Now if that doesn't sound like something I would have enjoyed in grade school, nothing really does. Yet, it sucked. It even sucked then, which is sad because I was willing to forgive just about anything at that age.

What really elevated it to a level beyond just "lame" to "teh suck" was the inexplicable casting of Jocko as the sidekick. The guy's only claim to fame was appearing in very annoying Energizer battery commercials and shouting "OY!". I really think NBC kinda thought, "well... we made Mr. T a star... we can do anything!"

The IMDB says - "A government agent in a supertruck named "Stealth" that is loaded with ultra-high-tech weapons and a helicopter travels the highways, fighting evil."

Loaded with weapons or not, a big rig just seems too big, too slow to accelerate, to difficult to brake, to likely to jackknife and tip when turning at high speeds, and too unable to get under certain overpasses to be an effective crime fighter.

Unless it's Optimus.

Loaded with weapons or not, a big rig just seems too big, too slow to accelerate, to difficult to brake, to likely to jackknife and tip when turning at high speeds, and too unable to get under certain overpasses to be an effective crime fighter.

Unless it's Optimus.

Well... yeah. But the helicopter merged with the truck.... that has to count for something...

Well, not really. :lol:

I grew up in the good ol' days of the 70's when big rigs were used for far more practical purposes, such as racing beer from Texas to Atlanta with help from the mighty Burt Reynolds.

Or it was just a pleasant way to spend time with your monkey, like BJ and the Bear.

Edited by Blaine23

Unless it's Optimus.

Well... yeah. But the helicopter merged with the truck.... that has to count for something...

Well, not really. :lol:

I grew up in the good ol' days of the 70's when big rigs were used for far more practical purposes, such as racing beer from Texas to Atlanta with help from the mighty Burt Reynolds.

Or it was just a pleasant way to spend time with your monkey, like BJ and the Bear.

Whoa, hold the phone here... the helicopter merges with the truck? Egads! The mind boggles at the possibilities!

Greatest. Thread. EVAR. :lol:

Or at least it's what's getting me through my workdays. ;)

I remember wanting to go to Universal Studios as a kid just to sit in the KITT car and take a picture with it. My parents must have hated me when I was young.

-JKeats

Edited by JKeats

Whoa, hold the phone here... the helicopter merges with the truck?  Egads!  The mind boggles at the possibilities!

You mean you didn't notice that when I posted a pic of the truck?

That picture's so blurry, it'd be hard to notice much of anything...

Yeah, I just thought it was one freakish looking cab. I mean, the cab of any good crime-fighting truck that isn't Optimus would have to be freakishly modified.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

My room-mate and I picked up season 1 and 2 of Knight Rider for about $20 each. We figured we'd pay a dollar an episode to watch it. Some of the episodes are pretty well written, despite taking place in the weird 80s. The episodes that are poorly written are comical/entertaining enough for us to keep watching them. I think on the whole, for the time, it was quite well put together.

As far as the new movie;

Micheal Knight - Ben Stiller

Devon Miles - Will Ferrel

April - Christine Taylor

KITT - can't go wrong w/ OG

I just think that would be hilarious, yet strangely cool if they all hammed it up.

That photo is a FAKE fan made creation, that was shown on AintItCoolNews.com maybe about 1-2 years ago. They showed it compared to the regular exotic car it was photoshopped from.

Here's the original link it came from, too bad: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/24405

Edited by baronv

• 10 months later...
My room-mate and I picked up season 1 and 2 of Knight Rider for about $20 each. We figured we'd pay a dollar an episode to watch it. Some of the episodes are pretty well written, despite taking place in the weird 80s. The episodes that are poorly written are comical/entertaining enough for us to keep watching them. I think on the whole, for the time, it was quite well put together.

As far as the new movie;

Micheal Knight - Ben Stiller

Devon Miles - Will Ferrel

April - Christine Taylor

KITT - can't go wrong w/ OG

I just think that would be hilarious, yet strangely cool if they all hammed it up.

Heh, I like your casting, who do you see doing the voice of KITT? I think I'd have to go with owen wilson... he has good chemistry with ben stiller and he knows how to play a talking car.

well by OG, I meant Daniels. . . but Owen Wilson would actually be sort of interesting considering Heat Wave & Jack, but I think KITT should always have a scholarly voice and I don't see Owen Delivering on that front.

haha, I was only thinking about the car. Do you think daniels and stiller would have much chemistry? Their voices kind of register as a similar tone/pitch for me. I thought one of the nice things about the original series was that the hoff's voice and daniel's had a nice contrast in tone and pitch.

• 6 years later...

Knight Rider (ナイトライダー) will be released in a complete Blu-ray boxed set in Japan on November 27. The set will include the TV movies Knight Rider 2000 and Knight Rider 2010. In addition, Isao Sasaki (the voice behind the Space Battleship Yamato theme song) and Akio Nojima (Mitsuzo in Kill la Kill) have re-recorded their roles as Michael Knight and K.I.T.T., respectively.

The Japanese give us blu ray players, drifting, Macross, Transformers and tentacle sex. America in turn gives them David Hasselhoff. Where is the justice?

The Japanese give us blu ray players, drifting, Macross, Transformers and tentacle sex. America in turn gives them David Hasselhoff. Where is the justice?

As you said, we gave them David Hasselhoff.

We also gave them television, microprocessors, cars, jets, trains, and nuclear weapons... umm, maybe scratch that last one.

Seriously, though... I would love to own an HD transfer of Knight Rider.

Edited by JB0

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...