Macross DVDs cracking!

Slugworth

A lot of DVD's have this problem...it's mostly noticable with certain cases, as the hub is what causes the cracking.  Most notorious is those double cases (Standard Amaray with the extra holder for a second disc), especially the Colombia releases like Spiderman.

My Stargate ultimate edition did this... practically shattered the center. I did it ghetto style and used scotch tape to piece the whole thing back together. Still plays, but I think I'll get another copy soon :p

I'd use a thin superglue, personally.

Be careful if you try that! Superglue can craze the surface of clear plastics...

I've got a first generation set from the original pre-order. All mine are perfect. Maybe some people are just rougher with them. The only difference between my disc centers is some are mirrored, while a few are clear. All of mine are fine though.

Same here. And its not like the discs are hard to remove from the cases, they have those really light push down centers. They come out really smoothly for me.

Then again, I still have my original Final Fantasy VII discs, without a scratch on them.

Checked mine, and I have no cracks, though I did notice some discoloration of the center ring on some disc's (they're all clear, but some have funky swirls around the ring).

I also switched all my cases from the yin/yang hubs to those newer ones that Bandai is using for disc's like SEED, so hopefully that will help things. Does anyone else have that funky discoloration though? And I assume everyone has those yin/yang hub cases?

I would worry about the swirls being stress marks.

And I like the yin/yang hubs. They have a nice "eject" mechanism built-in.

tetsujin: Thanks for the warning.

I'll be sure to find a few "crap" disks to test before I use it on something I actually want to save. And apply the glue to the label side to further reduce chances.

Even though Animeigo isn't selling these anymore, I'd wouldn't worry too much:  They can probably replace anything like this well into the future.  Try contacting them.  :)

H

Lucky for me, I already ordered the 9-volume boxed set two years ago, and they're still 100% playable. :D

Edited by MjrMisaHayase

Dvd's can get damaged at the hub because of the type of dvd cases that is used (As someone suggested earlier). Bellow is a link to an excellent DVD cases that I use for all my DVD's. They are called M-locks. By far the best dvd storage case. They also offer a two dvd case holder. You can use it to hold the original and a back up all in one. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/p...leM-LockDVDCase

Until stress of use causes them to snap/break in the middle of the "M" so they have no tension and utterly worthless for holding the disc in...

Cyc

I have an xbox game, Halo that has major crack in the centre.

It started out small and gradually the crack increases in size over time that it is now seeping into the area where the information is. Even if you have a small crack you should start worrying. Once it gets to a certain size you better pray it can still work and/or that you had it backed up before it is too late.

It's also good to only use backups to play if you want to keep the originals in perfect condition so that when you sell them you can get a decent asking price for them when it goes out of print/becomes hard to find.

Most of my originals have no scratches or cracks on them though since I take very good care of stuff that I bought first hand. There are however times where you may buy something second hand and you see a few scratches and the condition look used and a little worn. If it is something you really treasure: back it up and ONLY use the backup.

I bet there will probably be a time when macross comes out on HD DVD or blu-ray (whoever wins) so we can all have 36 eps on a single disc :D (I dunno bout you guys, but were you a little annoyed with lord of the rings and how you had to swap discs to see a 3 hour movie? I just bought the extended and I was, since I hate changing discs because it means you have to lift your ass off the couch. When they can get a whole movie like that on one disc plus all the exteneded extras this will eliminate some of the hassle.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'd like to check my first release animego set, but it's still sealed! hehe. I preordered it too when I first heard news about it. I just copied EXO's bootleg set. So I have a set to watch and the real one to keep MISB. ;):p:D:lol:

I have an xbox game, Halo that has major crack in the centre.

It started out small and gradually the crack increases in size over time that it is now seeping into the area where the information is. Even if you have a small crack you should start worrying. Once it gets to a certain size you better pray it can still work and/or that you had it backed up before it is too late.

It's also good to only use backups to play if you want to keep the originals in perfect condition so that when you sell them you can get a decent asking price for them when it goes out of print/becomes hard to find.

Most of my originals have no scratches or cracks on them though since I take very good care of stuff that I bought first hand. There are however times where you may buy something second hand and you see a few scratches and the condition look used and a little worn. If it is something you really treasure: back it up and ONLY use the backup.

I bet there will probably be a time when macross comes out on HD DVD or blu-ray (whoever wins) so we can all have 36 eps on a single disc :D (I dunno bout you guys, but were you a little annoyed with lord of the rings and how you had to swap discs to see a 3 hour movie? I just bought the extended and I was, since I hate changing discs because it means you have to lift your ass off the couch. When they can get a whole movie like that on one disc plus all the exteneded extras this will eliminate some of the hassle.)

Although, for the time being, my money's on Blu-Ray (both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are supposed to be backward compatible with regular DVD, so why not go with the one that holds more?), I'm going to hold out and wait for HVD. I mean, you figure 4 eps per Animeigo disc (they were single layer) means, well, let's round it off to 1GB per episode. The first round of HVDs, then, could hold every episode of say, Dragon Ball Z, or every episode of Macross, Macross II, Macross Plus (movie and OVA), DYRL, Macross 7, and Macross Zero (with some bonus material like the Macross 7 Plus bits and all of the material from the 20th Anniversary DVD), or every bit of UC Gundam, on a single disc.

Later, they're talking about 1TB HVDs... you could put your entire anime collection on one disc then.

Of course, the idea behind using higher capacity discs is so that they can use higher quality video... in the short run, I wouldn't expect to see more episode per Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD)... just true high-def video. Although if this HVD takes off, the sky's the limit.

I'd like to check my first release animego set, but it's still sealed! hehe. I preordered it too when I first heard news about it. I just copied EXO's bootleg set. So I have a set to watch and the real one to keep MISB. ;):p:D:lol:

Those poor DVDs, sealed up unloved forever in their celophane tomb.

My opinion of HD-DVD VS BluRay: Whoever wins, we lose.

They're both driven by media companies dead set against fair use. Among the stipulations being demanded by movie makers is that they NEVER release a computer drive for the media.

Actually, I'm pretty sure those where there when I got the disc's.

Then I'd chalk it up to the specific batch of plastic used, I guess.

*shrugs*

Dvd's can get damaged at the hub because of the type of dvd cases that is used (As someone suggested earlier). Bellow is a link to an excellent DVD cases that I use for all my DVD's. They are called M-locks. By far the best dvd storage case. They also offer a two dvd case holder. You can use it to hold the original and a back up all in one. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/p...leM-LockDVDCase

Until stress of use causes them to snap/break in the middle of the "M" so they have no tension and utterly worthless for holding the disc in...

Cyc

True it's possible. Fortunately, I have yet to have that problem. But I consider myself an extremely careful when it comes to handling my discs and their packaging. Also it really depends on how much one watches a particular DVD. I don't watch my movies so regularly that my DVD's are constantly being taken in or out. Finally, I figure it's cheaper to replace a case than an out-of-print DVD.

What I would suggest is get a dual M-lock DVD case. they are the same size as a regular DVD case and hold two discs on each side. One side can hold the original for asthetics the other side a DVDr backup to play from. I only watch the DVDr backup, and can't notice any quality difference. If the DVDr ever does get damaged I will just make another backup from the original.

All of the paper inserts I remove and store elsewhere since they can capture moisture/humidity and help in damaging discs. (This is only a concern if you live in a very humid enviornement to begin with.) Which I am for the next year or so (top floor/attic appartment).

Eventually, as someone else pointed out Blu-ray backup is the way to go.

*shrugs*

Are the clear swirl marks that you see on the the hub? Because that is most likely just the adheisive that was used to seal the discs. This might explain it better:

http://www.memorexlive.com/data/dvd_hubs.pdf

Does it look like PDF slide #4?

Edited by VT-102

All of the paper inserts I remove and store elsewhere since they can capture moisture/humidity and help in damaging discs. (This is only a concern if you live in a very humid enviornement to begin with.) Which I am for the next year or so (top floor/attic appartment).

If I recall, CDs and DVDs are officially immune to moisture.

Aside from scratching/cracking, the only natural thing I know of that can damage them is a particular strain of fungus in Belize that eats the disk.

You're kidding, right? there is a fungus from Belize that can eat DVDs? :unsure:

All of the paper inserts I remove and store elsewhere since they can capture moisture/humidity and help in damaging discs. (This is only a concern if you live in a very humid enviornement to begin with.)  Which I am for the next year or so (top floor/attic appartment).

Aside from scratching/cracking, the only natural thing I know of that can damage them is a particular strain of fungus in Belize that eats the disk.

Actually, CD/DVD are susceptible to damage by moisture/humidity. If you get a CD/DVD that is scratched deep enough (It usually happens on the label side more so than the data side) But a scratch that reaches the data layer can allow moisture and oxygen to exasberate damage to the data layer and the adhesive that holds the disc togehter. Delamination and oxidation are two of the long term problems that occur with mistreated discs.

Again, these are very extreme examples I am referring to and I know I'm suggesting overly precautious measures (removing inserts). But, part of what I do is archiving so it has become more of a habit than a nuisance for me personally.

All of the paper inserts I remove and store elsewhere since they can capture moisture/humidity and help in damaging discs. (This is only a concern if you live in a very humid enviornement to begin with.)  Which I am for the next year or so (top floor/attic appartment).

Actually, CD/DVD are susceptible to damage by moisture/humidity. If you get a CD/DVD that is scratched deep enough (It usually happens on the label side more so than the data side) But a scratch that reaches the data layer can allow moisture and oxygen to exasberate damage to the data layer and the adhesive that holds the disc togehter. Delamination and oxidation are two of the long term problems that occur with mistreated discs.

Again, these are very extreme examples I am referring to and I know I'm suggesting overly precautious measures (removing inserts). But, part of what I do is archiving so it has become more of a habit than a nuisance for me personally.

Ah, if the disk is scratched badly. That explains it.

I was assuming disks in fairly good shape.

And http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_328113.html?menu=

The CD-eating fungus.

I ASSUME it can eat DVDs also due to similar construction.

Not mentioned in that article, but the part that bothered me most about it is that Philips(crators of the CD format) denied it happened. They insisted it wasn't possible, the disk was clearly mistreated, a properly-cared-for CD is invincible, and that anyone claiming fungus ate their disk was a liar.

More interesting is the fact that sci-fi author Larry Niven predicted it would happen.

A tangental bit of information in the Ringworld series mentions that Earth evolved a bacteria that ate some forms of plastic, forcing people to abandon plastic grocery bags.

First ADV has problem batches of DVD's spliting apart a year or so ago, now this. Hell, video tape seems to look as if it were a lot tougher than this present form of media. As for my Macross DVD's, mine are fine, so far. I have a large video collection and the only problem I have with any of them cracking is disc 2 of Band of Brothers.

*shrugs*

Are the clear swirl marks that you see on the the hub? Because that is most likely just the adheisive that was used to seal the discs. This might explain it better:

http://www.memorexlive.com/data/dvd_hubs.pdf

Does it look like PDF slide #4?

Yup, that's exactly what they look like.

I just bought the extended and I was, since I hate changing discs because it means you have to lift your ass off the couch. When they can get a whole movie like that on one disc plus all the exteneded extras this will eliminate some of the hassle.)

Somehow, I think you've hit on an argument for mandating that certain movies should be designed so as to require the viewer to operate a treadmill continuously in order to watch them. ;)

I just bought the extended and I was, since I hate changing discs because it means you have to lift your ass off the couch. When they can get a whole movie like that on one disc plus all the exteneded extras this will eliminate some of the hassle.)

Somehow, I think you've hit on an argument for mandating that certain movies should be designed so as to require the viewer to operate a treadmill continuously in order to watch them. ;)

Oh, c'mon, go easy. I enjoy swimming and golf (no carts), but when I sit down to watch a movie, I sure as hell don't want to get up in the middle either. Of course, I may be the one person on earth who didn't care for the Lord of the Rings movies, so I can't say I've actually run into that problem.

Still, the idea of using HVD to cram a lot more episodes/series/movies on a single disc is nice. Even if you had to do the work yourself (that is, buy a recordable 200GB HVD, then convert your entire Macross collection to one disc with a PC).

My discs 1, 3, and 9 are showing cracks at the center and I had the Three Disc sets. And I've watched them once. :angry:

Yes, I guess I should point out that my cracked disc 9 is from my 3 box sets, and I only watched them once too.

Oh, c'mon, go easy. I enjoy swimming and golf (no carts), but when I sit down to watch a movie, I sure as hell don't want to get up in the middle either. Of course, I may be the one person on earth who didn't care for the Lord of the Rings movies, so I can't say I've actually run into that problem.

Still, the idea of using HVD to cram a lot more episodes/series/movies on a single disc is nice. Even if you had to do the work yourself (that is, buy a recordable 200GB HVD, then convert your entire Macross collection to one disc with a PC).

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were out of shape. But there are a lot of SF/fantasy fans who could probably stand to drop a pound or two. (Applies to a few other genres, too.)

It's all Harmony Gold's fault I tell you!

I bet the only way they would grant AnimEigo a license, was if AnimEigo agreed to make the discs with a built in self-destruct feature, so that after a couple of years, the discs would start breaking down.

I bet the damned Robotech discs don't have this problem.

Me, paranoid? :lol:

Graham

Remember back in the day when you had to flip sides on a cassette tape just to hear the full album? So annoying. Same thing with watching a movie. Once you get used to a comfortable position on the couch, the last thing you want to do is actually exercise. The dvd player is far away!

Couches are for eating food while watching something, making out with GF, lying down sideways for a snooze etc You are supposed to be in a relaxed state. It kind of wrecks the experience when you have to open up a box, put the first cd back in its position, open up the other part of the box where disc 2 is, put that in the DVD tray, walk back to the couch, wait for the dvd menu to pop up,(sometimes this takes ages) change the settings you had through the menus, then play the movie again.

I say we let Homer Simpson decide on the next format.

Remember back in the day when you had to flip sides on a cassette tape just to hear the full album? So annoying. Same thing with watching a movie. Once you get used to a comfortable position on the couch, the last thing you want to do is actually exercise. The dvd player is far away!

Couches are for eating food while watching something, making out with GF, lying down sideways for a snooze etc You are supposed to be in a relaxed state. It kind of wrecks the experience when you have to open up a box, put the first cd back in its position, open up the other part of the box where disc 2 is, put that in the DVD tray, walk back to the couch, wait for the dvd menu to pop up,(sometimes this takes ages) change the settings you had through the menus, then play the movie again.

Oh, get a changer. My DVD player takes 5 disks.

If I can watch 5 disks in one sitting then something is very wrong.

Couches are for eating food while watching something, making out with GF, lying down sideways for a snooze etc You are supposed to be in a relaxed state. It kind of wrecks the experience when you have to open up a box, put the first cd back in its position, open up the other part of the box where disc 2 is, put that in the DVD tray, walk back to the couch, wait for the dvd menu to pop up,(sometimes this takes ages)  change the settings you had through the menus, then play the movie again.

Man that just reminds me of this comic strip.

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/9572/newjobcopy7ga.jpg

:lol:

Exchange soundwave for the computer screen in the crashed ship as a tv and that would be perfect. I thought the junk robots in the transformers movie would be the closest to 'lazy bum robots'. All the did to fill time in was watch tv on thier junk planet probably watching mtv or something. Junk for the mind. B))

I just finished backing up both my Macross and Macross Plus DVD's. Now all I need to do is put them on discs. My good discs are going right back intot heir cases and staying there. By the way, I got the Paul Champagne box the other day and it is friggin' great!