Macross DVDs cracking!

Slugworth

I watched disc 1 of my Animeigo set last night. After it was over, I was putting the dvd back in its case and the area around the center hole started chipping away! I looked on my other discs from the set and they are not as bad, but are beginning to crack as well. I bought the big 9 disc set when they were originally made available, but I rarely watch it and take extreme care of my DVD collection. The disc still works, but I feel its only a matter of time before it becomes defective.

I emailed Animeigo and they said they no longer have the license and sent their remaining stock to Harmony Gold. This sucks because I guess I'm going to have to hunt some of the remaining sets down and re-buy them. I guess I could email Harmony Gold. Maybe I'll do that next.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Understanding that, if I recall correctly, the DMCA legally gives you the right to make ONE copy per DVD/CD/game that you own for backup purposes, I would suggest that if you have a DVD burner in your computer, that you do just that- back up your Macross DVDs. The Animeigo Macross DVDs are NOT copy-protected and are very easy to copy.

Understanding that, if I recall correctly, the DMCA legally gives you the right to make ONE copy per DVD/CD/game that you own for backup purposes, I would suggest that if you have a DVD burner in your computer, that you do just that- back up your Macross DVDs. The Animeigo Macross DVDs are NOT copy-protected and are very easy to copy.

Actually, regular US copyright law gives you backup rights.

The DMCA is explciitly designed to take those rights away.

But as no one enforces most of the DMCA, it doesn't matter.

:ph34r:

This is the first time that I heard of this happening. :huh:

As Graham said, this is very worrying. :unsure:

I did a check on my set and only disc 9 has some cracking. This does not bode well. :ph34r:

Looks like I'm gonna have to make back up copies myself too. <_<

Hmm....I think I'll check my other DVD's aswell. -_-

I've seen it happen to ... 2 CDs. 1 music, 1 game.

One was physically abused.

The other one I don't recall being abused. I just pulled it out one day and it was split in 2.

I'm concerned about it happening to... everything where the case DOESN'T LET GO OF THE DISK!

If it starts bending when I go to pull it out, I worry.

Just checked, all mine are fine. I've had mine for about 9 months, so it may be a issue for the first ones that were released.

I do not like the way they come out of the case, and could see this happening with someone who doesn't take their time in taking them out.

I am very worried, as I'm seeing some problems with other discs (mostly ADV).

Edited by valk1j

Even though Animeigo isn't selling these anymore, I'd wouldn't worry too much: They can probably replace anything like this well into the future. Try contacting them. :)

H

Just checked, all mine are fine. I've had mine for about 9 months, so it may be a issue for the first ones that were released.

I do not like the way they come out of the case, and could see this happening with someone who doesn't take their time in taking them out.

I am very worried, as I'm seeing some problems with other discs (mostly ADV).

Mine were first run and are just fine.

I'm also good about pushing the little "eject button" hub. I really like the style case they used, and I'm glad it's (mostly) the standard, as it lets you get the disk out without much stress at all.

A lot of DVD's have this problem...it's mostly noticable with certain cases, as the hub is what causes the cracking. Most notorious is those double cases (Standard Amaray with the extra holder for a second disc), especially the Colombia releases like Spiderman.

A lot of DVD's have this problem...it's mostly noticable with certain cases, as the hub is what causes the cracking. Most notorious is those double cases (Standard Amaray with the extra holder for a second disc), especially the Colombia releases like Spiderman.

My Stargate ultimate edition did this... practically shattered the center. I did it ghetto style and used scotch tape to piece the whole thing back together. Still plays, but I think I'll get another copy soon :p

A lot of DVD's have this problem...it's mostly noticable with certain cases, as the hub is what causes the cracking.  Most notorious is those double cases (Standard Amaray with the extra holder for a second disc), especially the Colombia releases like Spiderman.

My Stargate ultimate edition did this... practically shattered the center. I did it ghetto style and used scotch tape to piece the whole thing back together. Still plays, but I think I'll get another copy soon :p

I'd use a thin superglue, personally.

Well I just dump my DVD cases and place all my DVD movies and the little inserts into one of the DVD folder cases, it saves a lot of space and all you do is slip them into the sleeves of the pages and not worry about cracking them at all.

My Disc 2 DVD had a small dent in it that prevented any of my players to play the DVD. I politely asked (and begged) if there was any possible way they could replace it, and they gladly did so for me. It REALLY made my day. That was a while ago though.... The people at AnimEigo are really nice people. I'm sorry to hear of your guys' problems with the discs.

Well I just dump my DVD cases and place all my DVD movies and the little inserts into one of the DVD folder cases, it saves a lot of space and all you do is slip them into the sleeves of the pages and not worry about cracking them at all.

That's when I'd be worried about scratches.... I've watched the entire series on DVD once...and never again do I plan to watch them again. Beside...I have the entire series on my computer...so I have my backups.

That's when I'd be worried about scratches.... I've watched the entire series on DVD once...and never again do I plan to watch them again. Beside...I have the entire series on my computer...so I have my backups.

I second what Oihan says. Putting CDs and DVDs into slip cases garners a whole new set of problems. Particularly scratches (you gotta look out curved scratches as they are what make things skip and loop). Also unless it's a very sturdy DVD slip case, it can cause bending oevr time which still leads to cracking.

Hmm, I also have a first generation set, haven't watched in a few months though, but I'll check my disc's later to see how they're hanging. I'll be superbly pissed if they start breaking down though. Given that I don't have a DVD-R drive, I'll have to pick up the FX set or something.

Perhaps the world just doesn't want us to be Macross fans?

Actually, regular US copyright law gives you backup rights.

The DMCA is explciitly designed to take those rights away.

But as no one enforces most of the DMCA, it doesn't matter.

Yes, as I recall and understand it, US case law defines making a backup as "fair use". I doubt the DMCA explicitly recognizes the right to make a backup, because as JB0 says, it is designed to thwart that right. It does so by making it illegal to circumvent copy protection. So the current intent of the law is that you can only backup non-copy-protected materials.

Way more than you probably want to know about the issue: http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/

Dvd's can get damaged at the hub because of the type of dvd cases that is used (As someone suggested earlier). Bellow is a link to an excellent DVD cases that I use for all my DVD's. They are called M-locks. By far the best dvd storage case. They also offer a two dvd case holder. You can use it to hold the original and a back up all in one. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/p...leM-LockDVDCase

Edited by VT-102

Now you guys have me all worried...

I guess I have a good excuse to go out and buy a DVD burner. :D

BTW, make all the copies you want of your DVDs, as long as it's for personal use. The law says you can't but it's not like the FBI is gonna raid your house if you do. The law is unenforcable.

Now, if you go selling your copies, then there's a problem.

I just checked mine. Discs 6,7 & 9 each have a crack, and mine aren't from the original 9 disc set, but from the 3 sets of boxed sets. I don't think this is a result of poor handling, but rather, as Opus stated, a result of second rate manufacturing. Eventually, it would seem all our sets are goint to crack in the center. :(

Checked mine, and I have no cracks, though I did notice some discoloration of the center ring on some disc's (they're all clear, but some have funky swirls around the ring).

I also switched all my cases from the yin/yang hubs to those newer ones that Bandai is using for disc's like SEED, so hopefully that will help things. Does anyone else have that funky discoloration though? And I assume everyone has those yin/yang hub cases?

You have to be very careful when removing dvds from their cases. Those snap in cases are made to make the dvd a BITCH to snap out from the center!

I've never had a problem getting my Macross discs out of their jewel cases, they pop out like a charm. The ones you have toi worry about are the kind that Warner Brothers used to use (still used on BBC America discs). I'm afraid to watch my Fawlty Towers DVDs, since the hoplders clamp so tight to them that I fear snapping the discs in two getting them out of the damn things.

I've got a first generation set from the original pre-order. All mine are perfect. Maybe some people are just rougher with them. The only difference between my disc centers is some are mirrored, while a few are clear. All of mine are fine though.

Same here. No cracks, and it seems that the odds are mirrored, the evens are clear.