YF-19 Chest Tubes

Graham

Hi all,

Who knows, speaker pods maybe?? I agree with them being some kinda thruster, I mean if you look at lineart of gerwalk mode there just ain't any kind of visual thruster to propel the 19 forward.......Other than the tubes....But I could be wrong...

Hi all,

Who knows, speaker pods maybe?? I agree with them being some kinda thruster, I mean if you look at lineart of gerwalk mode there just ain't any kind of visual thruster to propel the 19 forward.......Other than the tubes....But I could be wrong...

arent these the thrusters for gerwalk mode? :huh:

I think it says バトロイド<something, maybe 形>の両腕下部

Which basically says portion under the arms in battroid mode. Not 100% sure, but if you can get a higher resolution scanning, it'd be much easier to read than that one.

The "something" I am 90% sure is 時.

As for 下部, I see that now, you may be right. I read that as one kanji slightly spread out, and I thought it was 砲, so I read it as "cannon".

Seems like even with that description we're still in the dark as to what those things actually are.

Also since we're on the subject of "what is THAT?"...

Can anyone tell me what the highlighted green part on the head does? :huh:

I say powerfull headmounted infrared spotlight for complete darkness situations. better than the 2 shoulder lights on the vf-1.

second guess would be a directional speaker so basara can sing before sound booster was invented.

ps i know sound doesn't travel in space but in the mac7 universe it does.

Most likely part of the sensor package.....I doubt that there is anything on the YF/VF-19 that does not have some sort of purpose, and being that it is on the head, I would say that it is part of the sensor package, because the hybrid sensors on the nose are covered.

Twich

I say powerfull headmounted infrared spotlight for complete darkness situations. better than the 2 shoulder lights on the vf-1.

second guess would be a directional speaker so basara can sing before sound booster was invented.

Actually, I think the speaker pod guns are there precisely beause sound DOESN'T travel in space.

Of course, Minmay just used the radio...

A few months ago, there was a thread where we discussed what is the function of those two tubes on the underside of the YF-19's chest.

Some people thought they are chest guns, while others (me) thought they might be part of the transformation mechanism to lock the mecha together in fighter mode. In the end, there was no evidence either way to reach a firm conclusion.

I personally dispute the chest gun theory, namely because no chest guns are mentioned on the Macross Compendium, which is the most accurate and official English language source of information on the YF-19 and a direct translation of Japanese source material.

I couldn't find the old thread, so thought I'd start a new one as I possibly have some new information.

Yesterday, after a couple of years of procrasinating, I finally broke down and purchased the Hasegawa YF-19 model. On the instruction manual, I was surprised to find what appears to be some lineart of the underside of the YF-19's chest area , which looks to be drawn by Kawamori and has some writting perhaps explaining what the chest tubes are. See pic below.

Perhaps Renato would be good enough to translate, so we can end this mystery once and for all.

Graham

At first, I was going with the Sensor packs theory, but now I am leaning towards the gatling gun theory.

In the fight sceen between Isamu and Guld in the city, Guld shoots/knocks the YF-19's gunpod out of his hands. As Isamu retreats you can see he has no gunpod.

After Isamu and Guld's reconcilation the Ghost shows up. You can clearly see Isamu shooting a machine gun style weapon at the Ghost in a fit of rage.

So, do I get a MW No-prize?

A few months ago, there was a thread where we discussed what is the function of those two tubes on the underside of the YF-19's chest. 

Some people thought they are chest guns, while others (me) thought they might be part of the transformation mechanism to lock the mecha together in fighter mode. In the end, there was no evidence either way to reach a firm conclusion.

I personally dispute the chest gun theory, namely because no chest guns are mentioned on the Macross Compendium, which is the most accurate and official English language source of information on the YF-19 and a direct translation of Japanese source material.

I couldn't find the old thread, so thought I'd start a new one as I possibly have some new information.

Yesterday, after a couple of years of procrasinating, I finally broke down and purchased the Hasegawa YF-19 model. On the instruction manual, I was surprised to find what appears to be some lineart of the underside of the YF-19's chest area , which looks to be drawn by Kawamori and has some writting perhaps explaining what the chest tubes are. See pic below.

Perhaps Renato would be good enough to translate, so we can end this mystery once and for all.

Graham

At first, I was going with the Sensor packs theory, but now I am leaning towards the gatling gun theory.

In the fight sceen between Isamu and Guld in the city, Guld shoots/knocks the YF-19's gunpod out of his hands. As Isamu retreats you can see he has no gunpod.

After Isamu and Guld's reconcilation the Ghost shows up. You can clearly see Isamu shooting a machine gun style weapon at the Ghost in a fit of rage.

If they turn out to be guns, I wouldnt be surprise. Ive always wondered what the YF-19 used to shoot at the ghost in the end of Macross Plus. I was under the impression that the Isamu lost his gun pod with his fight with Guld. :huh:

The YF-19 still has the two lasers in the wing roots.

Graham

I already thought about that. Graham had an explanation already. ;)

Graham

If they turn out to be guns, I wouldnt be surprise. Ive always wondered what the YF-19 used to shoot at the ghost in the end of Macross Plus. I was under the impression that the Isamu lost his gun pod with his fight with Guld. :huh:

The YF-19 still has the two lasers in the wing roots.

Graham

I already thought about that. Graham had an explanation already. ;)

BUT those shots he fired at the ghost looked like machine gun fire, tracers and all. The shots were fired from under the nose, and traced the movement of the Ghost. Plus the sound effects were machine gun like.

/not that I know what a real laser sounds like.

//No-prize please!

Actually, I think the speaker pod guns are there precisely beause sound DOESN'T travel in space.

read the ps duh.

For the mac7 universe is slightly off, hence all the speakers that are built on the sound force valks and the sound boosters.

just to note im not a mac7 fan ;) *kicks keith as he tries to hop in* :lol:

Edited by Zentrandude

I think it says バトロイド<something, maybe 形>の両腕下部

Which basically says portion under the arms in battroid mode.  Not 100% sure, but if you can get a higher resolution scanning, it'd be much easier to read than that one.

The "something" I am 90% sure is 時.

As for 下部, I see that now, you may be right. I read that as one kanji slightly spread out, and I thought it was 砲, so I read it as "cannon".

Seems like even with that description we're still in the dark as to what those things actually are.

Probably right. I agree though, his handwriting is ass-tastic.

read the ps duh.

For the mac7 universe is slightly off, hence all the speakers that are built on the sound force valks and the sound boosters.

Those speakers in the sound force valks were there for use in an atmosphere, I'm pretty sure they weren't ever used in space. As for the sound boosters, those had more to do with energy then with sound....

Figured you weren't a Mac 7 fan :)

Easy: Holes for future GBP armor to lock into in battroid mode. :D

Given the skinny anorexic look of the battroid, the armor would help prevent it from splitting in half if a zentradi got close enough to rip apart its skinny frame.

As the fighters becomes smaller and more agile, battroids become thin and fragile.

I used to think though that these might have been flame throwers for heating up giant chickens for zentradi soldiers to eat when there was no camp fire on the field. Similar to how the gunpod could be used to light giant cigarettes. Ones used for space would have the boobs removed. But if a one-to-one britai style hand to hand fight ever happened and ammo was scarce or the gunpod was knocked from the hand, the chest flame thrower would act as a surprise weapon for in-close combat to avoid being thrown around.

You're right about the fighters becoming more agile, but smaller? They definitely aren't getting smaller, aren't they getting bigger as they go? The VF-19/YF-19 is quite alot bigger then the VF-1 and I'm pretty sure that a 19 could handle itself alot better in a fist fight with a zentradi.

read the ps duh.

I only commented BECAUSE of the PS.

Basara had the speakerpod gun from episode 1. Which shot large and expensive stereos into enemy mechs so he could make them LISTEN TO HIS SONG, even with no air.

Even though we are no closer to figuring this out, could they possibly be verniers for gerwalk/battroid mode? In a fight in which the valk would be needing to dogde and shake the opponent, if it was in battroid mode, if it needed to hit reverse, or rotate, that would be an ideal location for mid section rotation. As such, the location of them as verniers would be balanced enought for use in reverse thrust that wouldn't cause the valk to spin backward or fly head first. Just my $0.02. What do you think? :D

Sounds reasonable.

OK, so far we have three possibilities for those chest-mounted thingies on the YF-19: -

1) Chest gatling guns for use in Battroid mode.

2) Locking bars for Fighter mode to withstand high-G maneuvers.

3) Verniers for use in Battroid mode.

Egan and Nanashi (if you are both lurking), feel free to jump in at any time with comments or suggestions.

Graham

NO NO!!!! You guys have it all wrong. Those pipes are LAMENESS EMITTERS. They weren't used in MPlus but definately used in M7.

The VF-19Kai/F/S/P does not even feature those pipes on the underside of the chest. They are specific to the YF-19/VF-19A.

Graham

NO NO!!!! You guys have it all wrong.  Those pipes are LAMENESS EMITTERS.  They weren't used in MPlus but definately used in M7.

The VF-19Kai/F/S/P does not even feature those pipes on the underside of the chest. They are specific to the YF-19/VF-19A.

Graham

Correct, as they were found after extensive testing to emit lameness at such an extraordinary level that even Basara's singing would be lost in the noise :lol:.

Ah-ha... so then they must be COOLNESS emitters!

Therefore proving the YF-19 is an inherently bad plane, since no other mech in the series needs them.

Ah-ha... so then they must be COOLNESS emitters!

Therefore proving the YF-19 is an inherently bad plane, since no other mech in the series needs them.

could be. it was killing pilots left and right before isamu rode the wild bull.

Well, in anycase, the fact that they also protrude outward toward the back would suggest something to that of a blowoff valve, or exhaust, or something of thrust. Yet, that picture of the smaller circles inside could come across as four-barreled gatling guns. But why would the "pipe" bend around the mid section and why is is thicker in the center? Either the ammo feeder or small two way turbines. Does anyone here know enough Japanese to actually translate the first pics? C'mon guys!

Edited by Jasonc

I think those chest tubes are cannons. Although the idea about them being

connecting machinery designed to strengthen the battroid mode is very plausible,

their position is totaly illogical. I mean it takes only one enemy shot to disable

the whole mechanism, they're that exposed. VF-1 valkyries have laser cannons on

their heads as backup weaponry in battroid mode. YF-19's head laser is usefull only in fighter mode (and that is questionable), he has no other forward firing weapon except his gunpod, because of that I think those tubes are in fact 3 or 4 barreled autocannons, meant for dispatching lightly armored targets and Zentraedi infantry, as well as backup weapons in case the gunpod runs out of ammunition.

Those circles don't really look like barrels to me. I'm leaning more toward some sort of sensor apparatus now. Maybe those are the sensors that enable the cockpit to do that funky CG we see occasionally in Mac+ when Isamu is flying through and around buildings.

Graham

Graham,

The text reads "double lower chest at the time of Battroid mode".

- Nanashi's Information Group

Graham,

The text reads "double lower chest at the time of Battroid mode".

- Nanashi's Information Group

I will second that. I was unable to make heads or tails of Mr. Kawamori`s crazy moon language so I asked a native Japanese Macross fan what it said. He said "Double chest tubes in Battloid mode"

Clear as mud now eh? Excuse me while I schedule an interview with him to get the final answer. Uh... this might take a while :p:D:rolleyes:

NO NO!!!! You guys have it all wrong.  Those pipes are LAMENESS EMITTERS.  They weren't used in MPlus but definately used in M7.

Graham

You just can't see them because Basara is sitting on them.

Graham

You just can't see them because Basara is sitting on them.

I always figured he was smoking them.