NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

After a few days now I'm still happy with mine. However, I transformed it to aircraft mode last night and as I was moving it around a heard a small rattling sound. Then out of nowhere a very tiny plastic washer fell into my hand. I have no idea what part of the toy shrugged off this piece, but I have a bad feeling that I will find out the next time I transform it... :ph34r:

It really is a shame to read all these bad reports. A certain level of flaws in the run of a toy is understandable, but from what I've read here and on other boards, it really does seem to be the majority of these toys that are flawed in one way or another.

I have little understanding of the legal world, so this may sound like a foolish idea, but is there any way all the people with obvious QC problems can get together and form a class action suit against Toynami for selling such a flawed product, especially at such a high price?

Look at my pic on page 74 and you'll see where that washer goes. It's a massive design flaw that should have never been made. The washer pops out during T-formation. This is why everyone has floppy arms. The washer needs to be glued onto the post on the bicep. I did this and no more flopy right arm.

After a few days now I'm still happy with mine.  However, I transformed it to aircraft mode last night and as I was moving it around a heard a small rattling sound.  Then out of nowhere a very tiny plastic washer fell into my hand.  I have no idea what part of the toy shrugged off this piece, but I have a bad feeling that I will find out the next time I transform it... :ph34r:

It really is a shame to read all these bad reports.  A certain level of flaws in the run of a toy is understandable, but from what I've read here and on other boards, it really does seem to be the majority of these toys that are flawed in one way or another.

I have little understanding of the legal world, so this may sound like a foolish idea, but is there any way all the people with obvious QC problems can get together and form a class action suit against Toynami for selling such a flawed product, especially at such a high price?

Look at my pic on page 74 and you'll see where that washer goes. It's a massive design flaw that should have never been made. The washer pops out during T-formation. This is why everyone has floppy arms. The washer needs to be glued onto the post on the bicep. I did this and no more flopy right arm.

Ah, I remember that picture now. Is the bicep easy to take apart?

After a few days now I'm still happy with mine.  However, I transformed it to aircraft mode last night and as I was moving it around a heard a small rattling sound.  Then out of nowhere a very tiny plastic washer fell into my hand.  I have no idea what part of the toy shrugged off this piece, but I have a bad feeling that I will find out the next time I transform it... :ph34r:

It really is a shame to read all these bad reports.  A certain level of flaws in the run of a toy is understandable, but from what I've read here and on other boards, it really does seem to be the majority of these toys that are flawed in one way or another.

Mine came apart pretty easily but it already had a big gap in it. You may be able to put the washer back in without taking it apart though. If you lift up the dicast piece and flip up the tail fin you can see where the washer goes. I think you could use some forceps or tweezers and alot of patience to get it back in.

edit: got bored and drew a diagram.

post-26-1093136650_thumb.jpg

Edited by Opus

Mine came apart pretty easily but it already had a big gap in it. You may be able to put the washer back in without taking it apart though. If you lift up the dicast piece and flip up the tail fin you can see where the washer goes. I think you could use some forceps or tweezers and alot of patience to get it back in.

edit: got bored and drew a diagram.

Wow, thanks for the diagram, Opus! I'm too tired right now to operate a tweezers so I think I'll attempt the operation tomorrow.

I put up a ton of pics comparing the IMAI and MPC here towards the middle. I noticed I didn't have the MPC completely transfomed in some pics, or missing the clip, stuff like that.

I love this toy! I was thinking that maybe the post 3,000 units have a little better quality control. The MPC is much much better to play with than the IMAI. Sounds obvious, but I'm happy that I can play around with an Alpha and pose it without worrying about hurting it. The sculpt looks really good to me too.

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toys/mospeada/pics.htm

The only thing that bugs me about the MPC is the rear landing gear. I may modify it to make it actually work.

Edited by Pat S

Whew! Lucky I held back buying these. Sounds like a nightmare. :D No wonder they are limited edition. By holding back your wallets maybe the price will go down quicker.

Maybe at some future date they will release mass produced toy versions with all the fixes and proper quality control (instead of delicate "master"-in-"pieces" collections designed for desperate Mospeada fan) so that people can play with it. I don't think many people would put up with this apart from the dedicated fan with money to burn.

Seriously I want to see a transformable toy (are masterpiece collections even considered "toys"? They are not under the toy section on the robotech site) sometime in the future with all the detail these masterpieces have. I wouldn't mind paying a high price for something so long that it is going to last.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I picked up an Alpha today as an impulse buy. I'm very happy that I did. I think all the modes look nice. I like the heft and I really like the opening missile bays.

This is so much better than the Veritechs. My only complaint is that the arms are a little floppy.

What scale is this supposed to be?

well i picked mine up today and its not perfect but im happy with it don't get me wrong i think they could have done better metal in spots like the arm joint would have been good but IM not going to go on about it has been said b4 but i like it was #304

I put up a ton of pics comparing the IMAI and MPC here

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toys/mospeada/pics.htm

Nice gallery! I always thought the IMAI kit looked better than the MPC, but seeing them side-by-side has changed my mind. I think the fighter mode of the MPC is a huge improvement, and the back in battroid mode looks much better, too. In that set of pics the only thing the IMAI really has going for it is a better parts-fit.

It's supposed to be 1/55, but it is more like 1/48, which is cool, it goes well with the 1/48 Yamato's.

I wonder if you (or someone else) would take measurements (battroid height, fighter length and wingspan) of the MPC? I don't think we can rely on the size of the pilot to be sure of the scale.

The Alpha/Legioss dimensions are known (unlike some other mecha, I think HG's numbers are the same as the original values from Mospeada), so from that we can calculate the scale precisely and see if the Imai is too small for 1/48 or the MPC is too big for 1/55.

If it's 1/48, that might nudge me ever so slightly closer to trying to pick one up at some point.

Has anyone's Alpha not had a floppy right arm yet? The tiny washer fell out of the right arm on mine, but so far it doesn't seem to have made a difference because the arm was floppy in the frst place.

Just curious. :unsure:

Pat S

Cool pictures! You have to have one of the most complete Mospeada/New Generation collections I've seen. At first I thought I was looking at the toy shelves of a really cool toy store :D

Those Legioss models and ride armor models are simply AMAZING :blink:

Where did you get them? How fragile are they?

I am also pleased to see what I always thought. The 1/55 MPC Alpha is about the same size as the 1/48 IMAI kit. The difference in size is in the cockpit.

The pics also help me to appreciate the sculpt of the MPC Alpha so much more. Toynami really did a good job with the fighter mode.

Also, I really like the pics on the bottom of the MPC in Guardian mode with the arms not transformed. I always thought that looked cool even with the VF-1s.

I guess that is how the Shadow fighters take off and land vertically. Let's hope Toynami revamps their qc so we can see some shadow fighters.

Edited by SDFcommander

I have my Alpha standing by the monitor here in Battloid mode.. and it does look pretty nice, I must say. The right arm supports the gunpod just fine as long as the elbow is flexed completely.. kind of a 'shooting from the hip' pose. Not bad at all. :)

Those Legioss models and ride armor models are simply AMAZING :blink:

Where did you get them? How fragile are they?

The models I have are mostly built by Jung from this board. I have 2 more that aren't pictured that I will add this weekend. All of the models are fragile. The ride armor models are especially so, lot's of pieces that come off with the slightest movement.

**sigh**

This is what happens when you take a cool mech idea from Japan, rip it off for sale by America, and manufacture it cheap in China.

Japanese Bot + Yankee Entrepreneur + Underpaid Chinese Factory Worker = MasterPieceOfCrap.

So far I have 2 alphas, one numbered below 3000 and one above 3000. To date, I have not had any of the problems that some people seem to be having with their alpha's. the only thing I have had to do is play around with them in figther mode some to get everything to fit correctly without gaps. All that took was alittle patience. All in all, I am extreamely happy with both of them.

So...here is my stupid question. ! have 2 Alphas. The external whites boxes for them are numbered 03125 and 00417. The internal books are labeled 03125 and 00001. Did by some mistake I end up with number 1, or is this a silly marketing thing where there are more then 1 number 1?

So...here is my stupid question.  ! have 2 Alphas.  The external whites boxes for them are numbered 03125 and 00417.  The internal books are labeled 03125 and 00001.  Did by some mistake I end up with number 1, or is this a silly marketing thing where there are more then 1 number 1?

Sheesh. They can't even get the NUMBERS right. :lol:

This gets better and better. :ph34r:

Edited by Drad

So...here is my stupid question.  ! have 2 Alphas.  The external whites boxes for them are numbered 03125 and 00417.  The internal books are labeled 03125 and 00001.  Did by some mistake I end up with number 1, or is this a silly marketing thing where there are more then 1 number 1?

Toynami morons. Gah!! What about the toys themselves? They are numbered too. Look in the crotch area... :ph34r:

Edited by dejr8bud

Anyhoo another thing that has always bothered me about the Legioss armo-fighters is that you only see three colors of Tread, the Blue, Green and Dark flavors... was there no Tread for Jupiter Base? Did the Legioss of Jupiter Base really go there to get more stupider?

I thought that was odd too. Even watching the orignal Mospeada and still baffled. Well our glimer of hope for one if made is that the RT The Sentials showed a red Beta being tested.

this damn thing has been delayed for what a freaking year? I think that's long enough to do enough play testing and r/d work to determine the weak points of this and solve it. A future run shouldn't adress tehse problems it already SHOULD HAVE been addressed.

Agreed. It was suppose to come out last summer. A whole year later and we still have some of the same bad QC problems, engineering issues, and worst of all breakage. Less than 48 hours out of box the flap on one of the arm missile covers falls off of mine. I had to glue it back one. :angry:

The right shoulder won't fold all the way down and allow the peg to reach the mounting hole. Not great but I can live with it.

I had the some problem too and just learned to live with it also.

Just checked Robotech.com others are having problems with the Alpha too, the majority of the Alphas are indeed defective. So we arent whinners as some people are saying on the 2005 Boards.

Hmm.. I hope Toynami do everything to help the problem. That's the least owners expect from them to do so. Otherwise this product should be reported to the consumer bonds.

Just checked Robotech.com others are having problems with the Alpha too, the majority of the Alphas are indeed defective. So we arent whinners as some people are saying on the 2005 Boards.

haha. that's awesome..

I'm a whiner.. my 80 dollar toy had a major manufacturing defect and now I want some cheese as well.

kiss off fanboys.

For the reecord, my Alpha is just fine.

There is one spot where the paint is spotty, but nothing to distract from the toy.

Still not worth $80, but as it is the only game it town, I'm quite happy with it.

On the scale issue, I would figure that out using the Battloid dimensions, as that is clearly the starting point for the Toynami MPC. I imagine that the fact that the legs cannot collapse to the degree shown on the screen distorts the fighter's dimensions.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL NUTS THE VALKYRIES LEGS ARE ***SUPPOSED*** TO COME OFF DURING TRANSFORMATION

Yes, but they're not supposed to come off when standing in Battroid mode and a slight draft of coughed air brushes by them.

My 1/60ths flopped faster than a diver getting caught in a belly-flop.