NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

Since the hinge on the senor door already broke after opening it once I decided not to mess with the other hatches.

While I don't regret having bought this one, I don't think I'll bother with the rest.

Samething happened to me the very first time.....farting Toynami.. You'd think they would have used a rod or something stronger for the hinge...

I don't plan on buying anymore. But I was only interested in this one anyway.

Edited by dejr8bud

Well after spending some time with it my opinion has changed. This toy is a big steaming pile of baboon poo. I've been treating it like a model but still every time I touch it something breaks. :angry: I intend to write Toynami and give them some unkind customer feedback. :angry::angry::angry:

Well after spending some time with it my opinion has changed. This toy is a big steaming pile of baboon poo. I've been treating it like a model but still every time I touch it something breaks. :angry: I intend to write Toynami and give them some unkind customer feedback. :angry::angry::angry:

You know what's funny. I was sitting at a table in SDCC waiting for the raffle and the HG people were there. Tommy Yun was saying how fragile the 1/48 was and compared it to the MPCs (both versions). How they were meant to be played with and the 1/48 was closer to a model that is only for display. Well I probably won't be getting any more Alphas and becuase of the quality I have 20 1/48s. Make them right and I'll buy them all... well, not all, I'm sure Godzilla will want some. Do you know anyone with over 10 MPCs?

You know what's funny. I was sitting at a table in SDCC waiting for the raffle and the HG people were there. Tommy Yun was saying how fragile the 1/48 was and compared it to the MPCs (both versions). How they were meant to be played with and the 1/48 was closer to a model that is only for display.

Well, if you are going to lie at least make it reasonable. Anyone who has handled a MPC VF-1 and a 1/48 would know that was an incredibly stupid thing to say. Did anyone call BS on him?

I guess it would disappoint Tommy to know that I play with my 1/48 more than the MPC?

vinnie

Well after spending some time with it my opinion has changed. This toy is a big steaming pile of baboon poo. I've been treating it like a model but still every time I touch it something breaks. :angry:  I intend to write Toynami and give them some unkind customer feedback. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

You know what's funny. I was sitting at a table in SDCC waiting for the raffle and the HG people were there. Tommy Yun was saying how fragile the 1/48 was and compared it to the MPCs (both versions). How they were meant to be played with and the 1/48 was closer to a model that is only for display. Well I probably won't be getting any more Alphas and becuase of the quality I have 20 1/48s. Make them right and I'll buy them all... well, not all, I'm sure Godzilla will want some. Do you know anyone with over 10 MPCs?

Tommy Yune...what a hilarious farter he is lol <_<

The Alpha MPC isfragile. It isn't meant to be played with alot at all. While I like the hatches, I'm not going to open them much. I'm afraid they will break. Same goes for the tailwings.

You know what's funny. I was sitting at a table in SDCC waiting for the raffle and the HG people were there.  Tommy Yun was saying how fragile the 1/48 was and compared it to the MPCs (both versions). How they were meant to be played with and the 1/48 was closer to a model that is only for display.

Well, if you are going to lie at least make it reasonable. Anyone who has handled a MPC VF-1 and a 1/48 would know that was an incredibly stupid thing to say. Did anyone call BS on him?

I guess it would disappoint Tommy to know that I play with my 1/48 more than the MPC?

vinnie

Of course... I told him that I have many and I have one MPC VF that hides in the closet. I wasn't rude or anything, I was an outsider and they were a circle of friends. And we talked about the potential MPC Cyclone. So it wasn't a hostile environment. He actually asked for opinions. He asked if they should release an MPC Cyclone targeted to the masses or to the collector. I told him to target the collectors and make the best and the biggest cyclone they can. A friendly argument followed about price and quality, but he took it all in stride.

He also talked about a potential Mospeada Perfect memory book. I've seen his lineart collection and it'd be something to behold.

The Alpha MPC isfragile. It isn't meant to be played with alot at all. While I like the hatches, I'm not going to open them much. I'm afraid they will break. Same goes for the tailwings.

If I knew then what I know now... <_<

Edited by >EXO<

He asked if they should release an MPC Cyclone targeted to the masses or to the collector.  I told him to target the collectors and make the best and the biggest cyclone they can.  A friendly argument followed about price and quality, but he took it all in stride.

I kind of hope they make it for the masses. We already know they can't make a toy that completely satisfies the collector. Their $80 "masterpieces" are a joke. I would rather have a $40 toy that you can play with or customize without fear of breaking.

Plus I have a Gakken cyclone that I'm very happy with and I'm sure no matter how long or how much they charge, Toynami can't make a better cyclone.

Well after spending some time with it my opinion has changed. This toy is a big steaming pile of baboon poo. I've been treating it like a model but still every time I touch it something breaks. :angry:  I intend to write Toynami and give them some unkind customer feedback. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Steve is an idiot. 1/48 is fragile? Hell, the 1/60 is better than the MPC. Gee, I bought 40 1/48s because their quality sucked... uh-huh, sure, right. Steve Yun needs to stop smoking crack.

Of course he as to say that since he is with HG.

Wow,

It has been a while since I have posted, but I thought I would post some pics of my newly panel lined and stickered MPC Apha.

I got it from Tam at tmpanime.com last week :D

I too at first had some problems with the landing gear, but after I gently pulling the rear ones out a little more I found where they stop and I was able to get some ground clearance.

Here are some pics in fighter mode. Toynami has a top notch sticker sheet. the stickers are good quality and pre-cut perfectly. The extra stickers are a real bonus. I found a place for all 20 "No Step" stickers :lol:

MPC Alpha figher

I have more at my online picture gallery

http://photos.yahoo.com/sdfcommander

Gads... all this crap is really making me anticipate the arrival of my Alpha with more than a little dread!!! :unsure:

I think the main problem with Toyanmi is that they either rush things (because they set themselves up with unrealistic timelines, thereby risking fanboy wrath if delayed) or they can't spec materials to save their lives & have sh*t for quality control (therby risking fanboy wrath for producing a product of inferior quality).

As a professional designer, I know how important spec'ing the right materials are toward making a well engineered & easily manufactured product that 'WOW's the customer.

In my current capacity as a quality control auditor at my facility, I know how sh*t quality can instantly destroy any custmor goodwill you may have spent years trying to build up.

Sounds like Toynami needs somebody that takes quality control seriously.

Kind of ironic, Toynami made sturdy MPC VF toys and everyone at macrossworld b*tched because the MPCs weren't as pretty as those fragile 1/60's. So apparently Toynami was stupid enough to listen, and they made fragile, pretty MPC Alphas and everyone at macrossworld b*tches because they aren't sturdy.

Another toymaker churning out collector's items instead of toys. Oh well.

Just for the record pretty does not have to equal fragile, high quality does not have to equal high cost and high engineering does not always equal better product. Toynami suffers from cheapout syndrome. I have no doubts that if made bigger, with the diecast in the right places instead of just being added to use the toy as a paperweight and with higher quality plastics in a better staffed factory this toy could be a very nice piece. But alas, they chose to save money and increase their profits by releasing a sub-sized, sub-par toy.

An example of a low cost, super detail, super quality toy released here in the US is the 20th Optimus Prime. I did not like the toy due to personal issues but after getting this hellhole toynami piece of crap I can now appreciate the Optimus for the glory that is was... it was not only cheaper than the Toynami garbage but it was bigger, sturdier, made of much better materials, painted very very well and had diecast in all the right spots. We are the victims of a boardroom f**k up here and I think people are starting to catch on.

Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and sons! :ph34r:

SDFcommander, it looks great until picture 5. Then I see that it still has that "broken back" look which everyone has complained about. If it looks like that on the ground, what happens when you pick it up? Surely the fighter mode should have a mechanism which locks the body straight.

Edited by ewilen

Kind of ironic, Toynami made sturdy MPC VF toys and everyone at macrossworld b*tched because the MPCs weren't as pretty as those fragile 1/60's. So apparently Toynami was stupid enough to listen, and they made fragile, pretty MPC Alphas and everyone at macrossworld b*tches because they aren't sturdy.

Of course! It's all MacrossWorld's fault that the MPC Alpha is a stinker. :rolleyes:

Wow,

It has been a while since I have posted, but I thought I would post some pics of my newly panel lined and stickered MPC Apha.

I got it from Tam at tmpanime.com last week :D

I too at first had some problems with the landing gear, but after I gently pulling the rear ones out a little more I found where they stop and I was able to get some ground clearance.

Here are some pics in fighter mode. Toynami has a top notch sticker sheet. the stickers are good quality and pre-cut perfectly. The extra stickers are a real bonus. I found a place for all 20 "No Step" stickers :lol:

MPC Alpha figher

I have more at my online picture gallery

http://photos.yahoo.com/sdfcommander

Nice with stickers! Why no other mode pics? :huh:

Well, I finally got mine. Overall I'm happy with it.

The forearms are definitely floppy. The right arm seems a bit looser than the left-- in fighter mode it'll pop loose unless you really push it in and make sure it clicks. Other than that it stays together pretty tightly in fighter mode.

I don't seem to have the arched back problem that people keep talking about, but the nose does seem to point up a little. I think it's the way they sculped the nose more than anything else, it has a pretty big upward sweep on the underside. I always remember the Alphas having pretty snub noses, but their take on it seems to have a pretty long schnozz.

My landing gear do successfully keep the fighter off the ground, but those rear landing gear are just silly. There's hardly a tire on them. One of them I had to push pretty hard to get it to lock forwards, but with both gear locked all the way forwards I'm not balancing on the plane's belly.

The legs on my Alpha actually line up pretty evenly. The arms, however, are pointing together slightly towars the rear when slotted into the legs.

Guardian mode looks fine, big pointy toes and all. I don't really mind the size of the feet.

Battloid mode has some floppiness in the legs, about on par with my 1/60 Yammies. Not as poseable, though. The way they've done the hip joints is a little odd. Also, that thruster in the crotch is all kinds of floppy. The wing tabs also don't keep the nose cone in place.

I haven't noticed any problems with the paint, nothing's be painted shut or smudged that I can see. One odd problem is that on the left arm, the hinge piece that attaches the missile door to the shoulder has been placed in upside-down, so I have a little dent where then hinge is. A little annoying to say the least.

All in all I'm happy with it, it's a cute little plane with legs. Is it worth $80? I'd say probably not, especially in light of all the issues people are having with them. This hit or miss approach to QC is pretty poor on Toynami's part.

For reference, mine is #1608.

Edit: I found one smudge of light blue paint by the left intake on mine.

Edited by Syngyne

SDFcommander, it looks great until picture 5. Then I see that it still has that "broken back" look which everyone has complained about. If it looks like that on the ground, what happens when you pick it up? Surely the fighter mode should have a mechanism which locks the body straight.

Thanks.

You know I was able to fix that. After what you said I just picked up the toy and saw if I could bend the legs and nose down to bring the back up and it worked. I wouldn't put my MPC Prime on its back but it sure looks better. I even got more ground clearance. I'll put some updated pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

Nice with stickers! Why no other mode pics?

wolfx,

I'm still working on detailing the joints in the fingers. Those joints are tiny :( . I've started but I'm not finished yet. I can tell you it will look pretty good when it's done then I will post some pics of robot and guardian mode. I also was able to add some little details to the sensor pod which came out pretty well. Hopefully tomorrow if not this weekend for those pics.

Oh yeah,

Did someone mention that the hand came off on their MPC? Where you able to put it on again with no problems? If that is the case then maybe I can take the hands off without taking apart the arm to finish the detailing.

Edited by SDFcommander

Ok, I feel like cancelling my preorder. General consensus is saying it is crap. I am getting real worried here.

Based on the reviews and pics in this thread, I went ahead and cancelled my pre-order. :( Guess I'll just have to get a Gakken version. :)

I was just thinking that we should try to keep a running list of parts breakages on the MPC Alpha. After reading through the last few pages of this thread, here's what's been reported so far: -

EXO = Broken hinge on the shoulder missile hatch.

Opus = Broken hinge on the sensor pod door.

Opus = Thumb fell off the left hand (is this a parts breakage or not?)

dejr8bud = Broken hinge on the sensor pod door.

Mechafactory.com = Arm fell off straight out of the box.

Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Graham

I'm guessing that just like the Yamato 1/60, the MPC Alpha was not designed on computer, hence the problems with poor parts fitting, large gaps and seams, asymmetrical parts etc. Compare that to the 1/48, which was designed on computer and exhibits far superior parts fitting.

Still like my Alpha though despite all the minor problems.

Graham

I think the real problms are cheap materials and that it was copied from a model. Models arent meant to be handled.

Upon inspection of the hand it seems that the fit of the thumb hinge was bad causing a pressure to create stress crack where the pin goes through the "knuckle" joint when I unfolded it. The hands seem to be made of incredibly brittle plastic. the other hand broke at the pinky edge of the finger joint as well.

Since were making a casualty list I might as well tell you that the ratchet mechanism is broken in the left shoulder as well.

On a good and bad note I dissasembled the right forearm and discovered the reason for the floppyness. There are two rubber washer thingys that go over pegs on the upper arm and into slots on either side of the arm. The slot on the outer arm piece open into the space for the tail fin and the rubber piece goes through when you extend the arm. I took a pic in case you guy want to try and fix yours.

post-26-1092981626_thumb.jpg

Updated MPC Alpha Casualty List

EXO = Broken hinge on the shoulder missile hatch.

Opus = Broken hinge on the sensor pod door.

Opus = Thumb fell off the left hand due to stress crack.

Opus = Ratchet mechanism broken in left shoulder.

Opus = Left hand broke at the pinky edge of the finger joint.

dejr8bud = Broken hinge on the sensor pod door.

Mechafactory.com = Arm fell off straight out of the box.

I guess we can say that Opus is officially having a bad day with 4 breaks on his toy.

Graham

Any tips beyond the obvious (being gentle) when trying to open the sensor bay door?  :ph34r:

Pray to the toy gods B))

Oh, that's SOP when it comes to toys these days :)

Repeat after me ten times:

"Open the pod bay doors HAL".

Maybe it will work.

He He He :D

sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

Graham