NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

the tail fins tend to pop off easily as well.. and those little tabs holding the knee guards in place look suspiciously weak too.

man, for those people who thought the 1/48 were fragile, wait till you get a load of this guy.

The Imai kit weakpoint strikes again...

C'mon Cyc... let's not keep giving out the handy answers all the time. That hinge was trouble from the start. It's suppose to be double jointed but only one hinge moved. The other shoulder opens the way it's suppose to.

When someone defends the Gakken you root for Toynami. When the Toynami has a weakness you blame it on Imai... :rolleyes:

C'mon Cyc... let's not keep giving out the handy answers all the time. That hinge was trouble from the start. It's suppose to be double jointed but only one hinge moved. The other shoulder opens the way it's suppose to.

When someone defends the Gakken you root for Toynami. When the Toynami has a weakness you blame it on Imai... :rolleyes:

That sucks about the piece breaking off exo. there's no way that should happen, it's clearly a serious problem if that happens to a significant number of people.

I have some sympathy for cyc's position, I think some of us are really excited to see serious new mospeada toys, and we feel like toynami never gets a fair shake around here. But, assuming you didn't take a hammer to the toy, parts shouldn't be breaking off.. that's a disappointment for sure.

OK, the growling bear is back.

Sorry to hear about another one of these crappy toys breaking on someone EXO. Seems to me that the true terribleness of this toy will reveal itself to others as time goes on... and as more and more of their toys either break or fall apart I feel this new MPC line will waver and fall just like the old one.

I have one final gripe before I finally let this dog lie... the diecast. Is it just me or is the diecast in this thing just plain stupid? It's like they put in diecast just so the could claim "diecast!". None of it serves any purpose other than to make the thing heavier. All the parts that you think should be diecast are modelled in cheap thin plastic and the parts that you would expect to be plastic are for some stupid reason diecast. Like the arm doors... why in god's name are they diecast? And is it just me or is the inside of the chest and legs diecast? Because they are heavy like diecast but almost all of the outer parts are all plastic.

And on the topic of the Tread... who here besides me doesn't want one now after seeing how crappy the Legioss is? And why is everyone still looking for interface points when you just know they either had no intention of making one or they were just going to make some weak and stupid "tab A into slot B" connection scheme anyhow. And once again for the record this is not baseless "toynami bashing" that people always accuse us hardcore MW people of... this is pure unadulterated hate at this point. I thought if I put the thing back in the box and got some sleep my anger over this crappy toy would subside but it hasn't. I feel so stupid for getting worked up over a damn toy but this... thing... takes the cake. Not only do I feel ripped off for paying $80 for it but the thing is so crappily designed and shoddily put together that the only people in the world that must know my dissapointment are old Yugo owners.

Rei strikes again. 

BTW watch out for the lower missle hatch on the leg.  They tend to come off very easily.  I've decided to just leave mine shut.

The hatches on the forearms popped off on mine the very first time I opened them. I'll leave those shut since you can only see a 1/3 of the missiles <_<

The side profile in Fighter mode looks like some one stepped on it. The nose points up too much. The middle sags. The legs point up a bit.

When transforming back to fighter mode, its real hard to push the legs up so that the arms will line up with them. Even the dopes who packaged my Alpha couldn't do that. The arms and legs were misaligned when I opened the box.

Also I wonder how long it will be before those knee cap tabs break..

Yep... definitely looking this toy will be a highly discounted item in about 2 months. I'll pick one up for around $30-40.

The other great thing is now I'll know which pieces to be extra, extra careful with - bummer about yours, >EXO<.

Man, you guys are causing my hopes to fade fast, real fast, about this MPC Alpha. Mine should arrive on Thursday, so I will find out for myself just how disappointing this thing may be...instead of breathless anticipation I'm finding myself nursing a numbing dread about receiving my order. :(

Unlike many here, this will be my first exposure to a Toynami MPC, so I've been spared the grief associated with the VF-1 series, but I was so hoping that they would have improved since then, and given the numerous delays on the release of the Alpha, you'd think that they would have fixed design flaws and pay extra attention to QC. I guess that is just to much to expect from a company associated with Harmony Gold. <_<

Toynami, a little heads up: If this thing fails to impress me at least to a level near to commensurate with the $70.00 I paid for it, then you shall not see another sale to me at anywhere near retail. If the Alpha MPC is only moderately adequate, I'll wait for the inevitable 50%+ discounts that invariably follow all the craptacular stuff produced thus far. And if my first MPC fails to even pass a much reduced expectation test, then you shall never see another penny form me, and, I'm sure, many others. As the old saying goes: "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." :angry:

thanks to everyone and their, um... condolences...

I have to reiterate the fact for something that cost so much they should at least allow you to be able to fix broken parts. Something I've always liked about Japanese toys. WHile this one is NOT a japanese toy, it sets out to be like one. I'm so disappointed that I can't take it apart.

I no longer have any grief about my vol 1 MPC veritech. I sold it on ebay for $180. Nice profit for a toynami piece of crap.

I actually like my alpha...it scary to transform...worse than the yamato 1/48. I'm going to figure out a way to fix the rear gears...but until I do so it will stay in either battroid or gearwalk mode.

Also somebody really needs to figure out how we can fix these worthless arm missles.

I'm so disappointed that I can't take it apart.

:( it totally sucks you broke your alpha especially since you haven't even had it for a week, not to mention, its not like you're a little kid that abuses his toys. so you take it apart at all? did you try goo-gone or acetone(sp?) to remove/dissolve the glue? perhaps that might be the ticket. i'm not sure this isn't the safest/smartest thing to do but its worth a shot.

or buy new one and glue the piece back on the old one (maybe open) and leave it in battroid mode or something. :unsure:

I no longer have any grief about my vol 1 MPC veritech.  I sold it on ebay for $180.  Nice profit for a toynami piece of crap. 

I bet that guy is pretty pissed right now. :lol:

Edited by Anubis

When I sold mine a couple of months ago there were 4 other MPC vol 1's sold for over $150, one sold for $210!

When I got it I from toynami I was so pissed that it was crap. I transformed it once. Glad its gone.

:D

are people that ignorant or just that stupid?

vinnie

When I sold mine a couple of months ago there were 4 other MPC vol 1's sold for over $150, one sold for $210!

When I got it I from toynami I was so pissed that it was crap. I transformed it once. Glad its gone.

:D

I should sell mine... has the cel and everything. What condition was it in?

Mint but transformed 1x and I didn't use any stickers. Had everything it came with including the cel. I removed the batteries to avoid corrosion. The glue on the box wasn't very good but still holding. The guy who got it wanted to complete his MPC collection and was very happy with it.

I don't know what the big complaints are.. I got mine and I thought for what it's worth, it is a lot better than the MPC VF-1. I have no doubt that it will be worth even more than the VF-1, once the MPC Beta are out.

Most of those issues are a bit overly criticle consider how much improvement the MPC Alpha has over the VF-1.

These are the same complaints about the VF-1, now look at the prices of the MPC VF-1.

When word goes out about the Alphas to the noobies, watch the prices..

I don't know what the big complaints are.. I got mine and I thought for what it's worth, it is a lot better than the MPC VF-1. I have no doubt that it will be worth even more than the VF-1, once the MPC Beta are out.

Most of those issues are a bit overly criticle consider how much improvement the MPC Alpha has over the VF-1.

These are the same complaints about the VF-1, now look at the prices of the MPC VF-1.

um if these are the same complaints as the VF-1 MPC gets then how can the Alpha be an improvment over the VF-1 MPC? And they are apples & oranges in terms of design anyway. The only thing they have in common is Toynami's crap QC.

That being said I don't hate my Alpha. The missile hatches are cool except the ones on the forearms. I like the Battloid mode alot. Fairly posable. The Guardian mode is ok too. I'm really disappointed in the Fighter mode, the sloppy paint job and the poor parts fittings in some areas.

I have no doubt that it will be worth even more than the VF-1, once the MPC Beta are out.

more like if the beta comes out. :unsure:

when word gets out like it already has? everyone is going to wait to buy them cheap....just like a majority of people who held off on paying $80. i have yet to read one review where someones says its worth the $80 price tag. besides, for most people, it only takes owning 1 MPC to know you're not getting your moneys worth. :p

and i highly doubt any of the future releases will get better, they didn't get better for the VF's. they said they would, but saying and doing are not the same thing. the jack archer is no better than the rick hunter, they're both equally craptastic! :lol:

Don't remind me mine are glued shut. That is the ones that are left. :D

Sorry EXO about the problem you had. I hope to be carefull with the hatches. Per DHL my ETA is tommorrow so I am hoping for the best when it comes.

these are not overly critical complaints...

the landing gear barely.. and I'm talking microns here... barely lift the thing off the ground.

the paint job is not just sloppy but down right horrible... I had chips on mine out of the box, not to mention the knee joint that was FROZEN in place... you would think the guy putting it together would notice something like that.

parts that need to be strong... parts that will get lots of usage, like the shoulder joints, the tail fins, the missile hatch covers are very flimsy.

many of the joints are loose... the thing can't bend it's arms more than 70% degrees.

parts don't fit right...

there are just a ton of mistakes on this thing.

And really, so what if people are willing to dish out two hundred bucks on those MPC VF-1s? it doesn't make it a good toy, it makes those people ignorant for not buying a yamato 1/48.

I heard that the last 2 MPC veritech releases weren't that bad as far as QC goes.

I actually don't have any paint problems on my alpha.

the key words there are "weren't that bad", meaning they weren't that good either. :lol:

eh, the cup half empty, the cups half full, but IMO, toynami's cup has been empty from the get go. :D

no paint probs, i think you're one of the few if not the only.

OK, the growling bear is back.

Sorry to hear about another one of these crappy toys breaking on someone EXO. Seems to me that the true terribleness of this toy will reveal itself to others as time goes on... and as more and more of their toys either break or fall apart I feel this new MPC line will waver and fall just like the old one.

I have one final gripe before I finally let this dog lie... the diecast. Is it just me or is the diecast in this thing just plain stupid? It's like they put in diecast just so the could claim "diecast!". None of it serves any purpose other than to make the thing heavier. All the parts that you think should be diecast are modelled in cheap thin plastic and the parts that you would expect to be plastic are for some stupid reason diecast. Like the arm doors... why in god's name are they diecast? And is it just me or is the inside of the chest and legs diecast? Because they are heavy like diecast but almost all of the outer parts are all plastic.

And on the topic of the Tread... who here besides me doesn't want one now after seeing how crappy the Legioss is? And why is everyone still looking for interface points when you just know they either had no intention of making one or they were just going to make some weak and stupid "tab A into slot B" connection scheme anyhow. And once again for the record this is not baseless "toynami bashing" that people always accuse us hardcore MW people of... this is pure unadulterated hate at this point. I thought if I put the thing back in the box and got some sleep my anger over this crappy toy would subside but it hasn't. I feel so stupid for getting worked up over a damn toy but this... thing... takes the cake. Not only do I feel ripped off for paying $80 for it but the thing is so crappily designed and shoddily put together that the only people in the world that must know my dissapointment are old Yugo owners.

FRIGGIN' BEAUTIFUL!!

Dude it's about TIME someone pointed out the flaws on this thing~!! This is not to say that others have not, but It's awesome to see fellow members give us advance warning on this stuff. EXO's breakage, your detailed review on all the bad parts, and many others opinion's have convinced me that this thing has not FULLY escaped toynami's bad qc reputation, only bettered it a little. It kills me that they have the sole license since I am sure bandai(if they ever make something other than gundam) could surely make something diecast for an alpha and better than toynami. This toy isn't as glamour and glitz as many others may think, the LOOSE arms that EXo and many many others have brought up not just on this board, but OTHERS, is a TERRIBLE thing especially on a mecha toy. What the hell. Even the VF-1 MPC didn't have floppy arms! Hell 20$ transformer alternators don't have floppy arms. Grrr....

Anyways a few months back I was able to nab a Roy Fokker MPC for 10$ MIB as a delisted toy at gamestop. SO it comes to show.

wait a LONG ass time, and prices DO go down!

EXo, sorry to hear about your breakage, that part really should be made of diecast.

I was never that interested in this toy anyway, but I am curious about the size discrepancy. So far, we've seen photos that show it to be much larger than a 1/55 Gakken, and other photos where it's only slightly smaller than a 1/48 Imai.

Y'know, it would figure that the moderate to practically happy reviews here would convince me to order one and as soon as I do all the negative reviews come out of the woodwork. At least I didn't pay full price for it.

I'm hoping some of the negativity is from random bad ones and just the general anti-Toynami sentiment here (I personally thought the MPC wasn't a bad toy...nowhere NEAR the quality of the Yamato Valks and not worth a third of the asking price, if that...but a decent toy. It helped that my VF-1J MPC didn't have floppy legs (I'm half thinking it's either poor magnet placing on some or simply user error, since I DO have floppy legs if I don't transform it correctly) or much in the way of bad painting...still, it's about the only Valkyrie I have that sits in its box). As long as my Alpha doesn't start to break up like it had a very rough landing on its tiny gears, I should be happy enough. I don't care about the paint because I'll probably touch it up anyway (I don't like the look of a clean Alpha/Legioss...for some reason I like them looking a little rugged and dirty). The loose arms are going to be something to work at, though...

I'll agree, though, that it's amazing that that you can get some really great quality out of plastic 'knock-offs' in the Alternators and pay less than a third of the price. Of course, one must remember that at least half the price of the MPC must be going into its packaging. :D ...a feature I could do without since I always display the toys I appreciate outside of the box anyway...