NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

I will positively buy the green Alpha now, but I think that's going to be it for me.

Nice review.

After hearing more and more about it I think it's likely I'll keep mine in the box and maybe sell it in a few years time. Maybe they'll come out with a larger Legioss at some point that has better QC and deals with some or all of the bugs in this version.

Doesn't sound bad. Just doesn't sound alltogether great either.

Got mine today. eh not bad. not great. This sucker is heavy. I think Soldier mode is probably the best.

The pegs don't always want to stay in their holes. If the fists aren't closed properly in fighter mode the pegs won't go in at all. This is due to the bicep contracting inside the forearm. It pushes against the hand. The pegs on the bottom of the wings that snap into the back cockpit in Soldier mode don't go in very well.

The landing gear blows. Too short. The two back gears sometimes collapse inwards. The 1/60 VF-1s do this too. Even with the front landing pushed out all the way the body barely clears the ground

The legs and feet have awesome posability. But the arms don't. No two handed gun poses. They are kinda short. And the hands are cool though. The feet are really too big.

Paint job is ok. The special blue on one of intakes is farted up. Looks like another color dripped on it <_< The dark blue looks nice. Some fuzzines around the edges.

The missile hatches are really neat.

The hatch on the back(or the shoulder depending on which mode your in) sometimes falls off. Is it supposed to have 2 pegs or 1? Mine looks like one of them snapped off <_<

Also is the pilot figure supposed to be looking off to the side? Mine is. Kinda dumb

Edited by dejr8bud

I got mine today... wow. Color me unimpressed.

Here is my own mini review... because toy reviews are like buttholes, everyone has one.

The GOOD:

- It's the first Legioss toy in 20 years

- the paint scheme is correct unlike the Gakkens

- there is more die cast than the first MPC line

- umm... it's a Legioss?

BAD:

ok, here we go...

- The design of all the parts and how they work most likely looked reallygood on paper but in reality this toy is a mess of loose parts, crooked seams, gaps, overhangs and overly tight/loose pieces

- the paint quality is spotty. Some parts are nice but others look like a blind seven year old painted them with his feet. Paint quality itself (the overall quality of the paint used) is low.

- the plastic quality is also low. Looks to be the same cheap thin plastic they used on the first MPC line. Very porus and milky with an almost rubbery feel to it.

- Gaps, holes, seams, flash and general poor parts fit everywhere. My toy looks like I myself tried to build a model rather than a nice finished toy. My Missle bay doors don't line up with their seams, the missles underneath are offset or just pushed into the assembly in such a way that they look really really bad.

- The hands... UGH! The hands! Rubbery, sticky, hard to pose and yet another design that looked good on paper but is abysmal in real life.

- I can forsee several parts on this toy as being very easy breakages. The knees, the arm fins, all the tiny and numerous pegs, etc. etc.

My Thoughts:

Either I had really reall high expectations for this toy or Toynami has once again graced us with a pile of crap. I so wanted this toy to be awesome and beyond kickass in all ways but instead I end up with a roughly held together by the grace of god pile of tiny parts with bad seams and peg holes galore. As I said above, this design most likely looked sooooo good on paper but in execution it is a loose, sloppy and jumbled mess. The thing is overengineered to the point of being useless as a poseable toy. Every time I move one thing two other things pop loose. If Toynami would have just used better materials and made the thing BIGGER then most of these issues would go away because the teeny tiny parts would then be normal size. I seriously hope to god that not all of these toys are as crappy as mine and I also hope mine is a QC defect as it is unplay-with-able. You can't even leave the thing in fighter mode and display it somewhere because the darn fighter has this "slope" to it where the cockpit is pointing at the sky as is the tail... basically the thing looks like it is dragging it's stomach on the ground. The landing gears, or as I call them the "frustrating little metal toothpics with black boogers on the ends" are basically just there to let you know it has landing gears.

UGH! I am sooooo frustrated with this toy. I to this day have only had problems with Toynami toys. None of my Yamatos has ever even remotely angered me as much as this pile has. I am about as dissapointed as a poor kid at the ballpark on free shirt day behind the kid in line who gets the last one. Either my taste in toys is just waaaaaaaay too high or this thing is crap. I really wanted a whole set of these but now I'm seriously reconsiddering it. If they all turn out this bad I don't care if they go down to free with an oil change I still won't get them. $80 pissed away on yet another crappy Toynami product. Oh and if toynami is reading this: I will not brake if I see you in a cross-walk and may even throw it in reverse to get you a second time.

:angry::angry::angry:

Staring to sound like I'm not getting this toy. My 20 year old gakken doesn't have floppy arms, actually nothing is loose or floppy and still transforms great. Screw toynami if these problems are abundent on the entire line of MPC Alphas, I really wanted a green one.

Guess its back to removing that horrible paint job I did to my Gakken back when I was 11.

Got mine today from VE and I love it. The floppy arms are a bit of a letdown and I hope Toynami adresses the problem and fixes it in future runs. Still, they aren't completely loose and they can hold poses. Other than that, I think all the modes look great, the articulation is just right and all the opening panels and moving parts are a lot of fun. Transformation is fairly simple but complex and time consuming enough to be satisfying and fun. All in all this toy is a blast. It would have been nice if the hands were on pegs similar to the superposables so we could plug in some anime hands, but oh well.

Speaking of the superposables, I haven't seen any comparison shots with the MPC yet so I snapped a few myself. While the SP may look more anime-accurate, I think the overall aesthetics of the MPC are more attractive. The SP sort of has that huge limbs and puny torso thing going on.

post-26-1092711776_thumb.jpg

JsARCLIGHT: Is your Legioss before or after the 3,000 units releases?

Mine is number 1699.

Ironically if this thing was priced $16.99 it would STILL not be worth it. This toy has gone back to jet mode and gone back in the package. At least the thing looks good in that damn box and that is where mine will stay... fugly piece of crap. <_<

For those who ask I have just assumed that my expectations of this toy where so far beyond the level of Toynami's skill that I might as well stop complaining as people have pointed out to me: this is normal for Toynami.

Sorry to hear you got such a lemon, JsARCLIGHT. I think the one you got is exactly how we were all hoping this thing wouldn't turn out to be. That really stinks.

Maybe I got lucky but all the little panels on mine are flush and fit perfectly, the paintjob is very clean and the only parts that are loose are the arms, which as I said above aren't too loose to hold poses (wether they will be over time remains to be seen).

Oh, mine is #1977. Maybe the QC picked up around the 2000 mark?

Man those SPs are fuuuugly...

Sorry Js... that's how I felt with my first MPC. Mine is over 3000 and it has the blue titties and the same issues as Js. I guess I had my expectations really low, but I still like mine. Will play with it when I get home. But if I hear about some guy that had a resemblance to satan or jesus burned down Toynami's HQ. I'd understand man... I really would...

While putting mine back in the box and IMing with EXO I noticed that the damn cockpit on mine is painted shut as well... bent another paperclip prying it open. My running joke for those who ask now is that the QC guy must have kicked mine twice for good luck.

Either mine is a total lemon or my anticipation of this toy was so far beyond reality that I'm dissapointed with what most see as a good toy. I should take pics of all this crap on this thing but I don't have a digicam right now...

Edit: And actually I got a haircut and shaved off my beard a few weeks back... sadly now I look like a cross between the blonde guy on Queer Eye and Dennis Leary. I really feel the Leary anger right about now too.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Ironically if this thing was priced $16.99 it would STILL not be worth it. This toy has gone back to jet mode and gone back in the package. At least the thing looks good in that damn box and that is where mine will stay... fugly piece of crap. <_<

If you want to sell me yours for $16.99 I'll buy it from you :D

Graham

Funny that 2-mode gekkan is supposed to be 1/55 also.

With the Above #3000:

I have very few paint flaws. As good as any Yamato I have

Floppy elbows but not floppy shoulders

Worthless rear landing gears

Floppy wrists

Some nast seams.

It's definitely better than any Yammie 1/60 or 1/72 I have.

Last pic

post-26-1092717256_thumb.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...c=9398&st=0&hl= what could have, should have been..... :(<_<

What would have taken a hand much steadier before that seventh cup of Tims Double-double of the day and the patience of Job, plus a good smattering of skill and exceedingly decent hand-eye coordination.

In other words, I strike out on all counts. The toy will be enough for me, thank you very much :)

got mine today and at a discount! woohoo.

super woohoo because there are some problems with this toy.

the alpha is definitely more solidly put together than the VF-1, much more solid and not as floppy and the sculpt is overall very nice.

issues:

Big thing for me, the pieces that make up the knee joints are painted that grey colour... the left leg was frozen because the paint was not given time to dry.

the left hand had too much paint put on it and did not flip out easily, took some prodding but it's good now.

the missile pods on the fore-arm are a joke... they look like little watermelon slices because only a 1/3rd of the full circle is visible.

the landing gear are difficult to extend and quite hideous.. we're talking landing gear on the 1/72 macross plus valks hideous.

the front landing gear covers don't fit quite right, have tendency to pop out a bit, making that area not flush.

the compartment that holds the cyclone has no locking mechanism... and the little plastic cover is quite loose, more than once my cyclone fell out... this little guy is definitely staying in the box.

the VTOL thruster is quite loose as well and does not stay extended in battroid mode.

paint is super spotty... lots of little errors... like bumps and what not... also, die cast used in areas of necessary contact... expect chipping.

odd thing...

the little area right behind the area where the sensor pod is supposed to go... looks like it has a hinge, does it open? doesn't open on mine, except down... which is odd.

and good news, there is definitely a clip on the crotch of this thing for a beta hook up.

I ended up paying around 60 dollars for this thing after tax... and while I like it well enough and am happy with it... after some repairs... I dunno how I would feel if I paid 80 bucks for this thing... if there are some serious QC fixes made for future releases I may get the rest but not as it stands now.

gah,

stupid university office. the tracking said it came but the persona t the desk said the check my box. nothing was there. it better have been delivered to the right place <_<

can't wait to see it.

i have a feeling i may be disappoitned..

:( First casualty...

the bad thing is I can't recast the part... like I said the shoulder is glued, not screwed together... if any one has any ideas PM me.

I wasn't even playing with that part, I was just transforming it. Looking for the Tread connection. I saw some useless tabs behind the shoulders but their exactly that, useless... gets covered in both modes... :huh:

post-26-1092729668_thumb.jpg

odd thing...

the little area right behind the area where the sensor pod is supposed to go... looks like it has a hinge, does it open? doesn't open on mine, except down... which is odd.

I was puzzled by that hatch that doesn't open more than like maybe 1/8th inch too. At first I thought it might be so you can open and close the sensor pod hatch without extending the torso. It will allow you to do but the more I thought about it the more I'm convinced it's a connection point for the Beta MPC.

I suspect the arm on the Beta MPC (that connects to the Alpha in the tv series) will cradle the aft most area of the Alpha MPC's torso where the aft directional thruster and those 2 pegs fit up against the stowed legs, then part of it extend up along the back/top to lock into that little space below that hatch that doesn't want to open.

That's my theory about it anyway :)

Edit: Oops, poor timing for my first post, especially concerning possible connection points to the Beta as it showed up following EXO's post about the shoulder missile hatch breaking off while he was looking for Beta connection points :(

Edited by rtsurfer

Yeah I wanted to open that hatch so bad but I could tell it was purposely designed not to open though it looks like it should.

Thanks. I've actually been reading over mw.com forums for years now and even linking to threads from time to time. A lot of great info and insights show up over here. I started to sign up a while back but that was back during the height of the Mac/RT rivalry and I chickened out.

Edited by rtsurfer

heh,

I like to think that we MW people are enlightened and that we welcome RT people...

about the tread link up... the two clips behind the crotch thruster (don't know what else to call it)

they hold the legs in postion in fighter mode but I think they could be used to clip onto the tread as well in battroid...

or not.

:unsure:

:( First casualty...

the bad thing is I can't recast the part... like I said the shoulder is glued, not screwed together... if any one has any ideas PM me.

I wasn't even playing with that part, I was just transforming it. Looking for the Tread connection. I saw some useless tabs behind the shoulders but their exactly that, useless... gets covered in both modes... :huh:

Ouch!

I like my MPC Alpha, really I do, but I get the feeling we are going to be seeing more and more casulties, especially with the missile hatches and wing hinges as more members start receiving these toys.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is that the MPC Alpha is going to turn out to be a toy which should be handled with care and seldom transformed for the sake of longevity.

Graham