NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

Updated MPC Alpha Casualty List

EXO = Broken hinge on the shoulder missile hatch.

Opus = Broken hinge on the sensor pod door.

Opus = Thumb fell off the left hand due to stress crack.

Opus = Ratchet mechanism broken in left shoulder.

Opus = Left hand broke at the pinky edge of the finger joint.

dejr8bud = Broken hinge on the sensor pod door.

Mechafactory.com = Arm fell off straight out of the box.

I guess we can say that Opus is officially having a bad day with 4 breaks on his toy.

Graham

Does total destruction from throwing it against the wall in frustration, anger and disapointment count a a legitmate breakage? :p

I see both positive and negative reviews on this toy. Both points of view are valid.

Can we all agree that what we want are better quality toys from Toynami going forward? (The correct answer is yes)

Since Toynami is the only company that has touched this license in decades it is unlikely that we will get any mospeada toys from another source. It seems that our best bet is to constructively communicate the problems to Toynami.

If we do this then there is a good chance that in future runs the problems will be resolved, and if the problems are resolved and Toynami sells more Alphas we may get a Beta fighter.

If we are smart about this then we have a better chance of getting what we want.

And isn't getting what we want what we all want? :ph34r:

Dude try reading through out every page of this whole thread. I know hope lost then was regained when the Alpha was announced. Now reading the things here now, and toynami;s track record with fans(which isn't very good, you'd really have had to be around here for the last 3 years or so to really know) and their constant noncoherent quality basically leaves all of us wondering if we are getting lemons. Justbecause they have the sole licenses does not mean they are all of a sudden saviors. We all want better hell we all know some companies would CERTAINLY DO BETTER, hell from what I hear the gakken aside from the knees is a lot more durable, and for them to hype it this much, it's just sad.

and constructive criticism? I hate to break it to you man but we all tried that with the first MPC's. That did NOT work. Why in hell it took till vol 4 of the MPC to get good ratchets astonishes and puzzles me. Why the MPC is deemed king by rt.com with easily floppy legs yet the bandai has legs that will HOLD pose. Why people go onto say the 1/48 is a model and the MPC is meant to be played with when the MPC UNLIKE the 1/48, flops around like a noodle. Man if I had a digicam I would show you all what I am talking about. To me,

TOYNAMI CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM=DELAYED RESPONSE.

And you all really think there will be a BETA? I hope so but I really doubt it. ANd if they charged 80$ for the alpha just imagine how much they will for the humongous BETA. Most of us here don't give a damn for scale, we just wanted something cool and big enough to replace our beloved huge ass gakkens. NOw what we got is basically lemons and there is literally only a handful without something wrong. IN fact I hear more breakages with thsi thing than I did with the /60 VF-1. Hell this sounds more like its toynami's version of "tab B".

nd a future run to solve problems? Sorry no offense but this damn thing has been delayed for what a freaking year? I think that's long enough to do enough play testing and r/d work to determine the weak points of this and solve it. A future run shouldn't adress tehse problems it already SHOULD HAVE been addressed.

Sorry but for 80$ you really shouldn't be wondering if you got a lemon or not, it better damn be a high quality anime product. But unfortunately seems are brethren are having VERY VERY mixed results. I feel for those who have got bad ones.

Ah, so I guess that's the new blue for the intakes (your serial is 3000+). Yeah, kind of hard to tell from the lighting, but looks more pale (gray-?) blue than the bright whatever it is blue on mine. I still don't get why they're not a gray. But it's been forever since I've seen the show.

Scott

Add to that list

Forearm hinge that covers missiles fallen off, leaving exposed measles, oops, i mean missiles B))

Did something actually break, or did the cover just fall off?

If it can be reattached, by just slotting it back into place, that doesn't count as a breakage.

Graham

Sam = Little hinge on bottom of hand that holds fingers to palm broke off.

Graham

The heel/toe thing is killing me. I'm much happier with fighter mode now that I've transformed it back myself compared to when it was shipped. I like that I now realize the toes and heels swival (for when back in diver or soilder), but I cannot get both heels to push into the center all the way without one or the other making the leg push away from the body.

Also, I cannot get the legs back into that "upper" hip position which the manual says they should be in for fighter mode. And it seems that would be the wrong position anyway. Anyone else thing the manual is backwards in this regard? And if not, how do you get the legs to shift back up into that upper position?

Thanks,

Scott

FURTHER IMPRESSIONS OF THE ALPHA

-----------------------------------------------

I've spent more time with it by now, and I thought I'd share my findings. I hope you'll find them helpful.

* I'm really digging the way everything locks together securely in Fighter mode, once I figured out how to do that. Nothing loose or flopping around. Very, very nice. A few flaws in the sculpt (upward-sloping nosecone and dragging chest) but overall still the best-looking transformable Alpha toy to date. I haven't yet tried Guardian. Battloid mode is good too, except for the right elbow being floppy unless I flex the joint completely. Also, I prefer to angle the chest intakes a bit downward in this mode, so the wings don't connect to the fuselage in the back. My personal preference, which I can live with. I'm very satisfied with the way this toy looks, overall. B))

* The Alpha really looks and feels solid in my hands. Especially in Fighter mode. I can't stress enough how much better it looks when you've connected everything properly. In case you haven't managed that yet, it's pretty simple. Once it's in Fighter mode, apply gentle but firm pressure to both the forward and rear sections of the toy, pushing them toward the center section. Hold the sides of the legs and place your finger between the thrusters/feet, pushing the combined leg section as far forward as possible. The white hexagonal calf sections should be right up against the blue backplate between the arms/upper thrusters. Next, while still holding the rear section firmly, gently grasp the fuselage with your fingers, with your thumb resting on the canopy and your curled index finger under the head beneath the fuselage. The nosecone should be cradled in your fingers and touching your palm.. then apply backward pressure toward the center of the toy, the section immediately behind the back of the canopy. Barring any mechanical problems that would prevent this, the securing pegs on the rear undersides of the arms/upper thrusters should be directly above the peg slots on the white hexagonal sections of the legs. You should be able to close the arms completely, sealing any previously annoying gaps, and then finally click the pegs underneath the arms firmly into the slots on the legs. Again, this is assuming that your Alpha is mechanically sound and has no issues that would prevent you from completing these steps to secure the Fighter mode of your toy. Once you do, however.. it looks really nice. Great job on this aspect. Truly. :)

Thanks for reading. These observations apply only to my own Alpha, but I hope that they work for you as well. As always, be careful. If you're able to make these steps work, I think you'll appreciate the results. Have fun. B))

Add to that list

Forearm hinge that covers missiles fallen off, leaving exposed measles, oops, i mean missiles B))

Did something actually break, or did the cover just fall off?

If it can be reattached, by just slotting it back into place, that doesn't count as a breakage.

Graham

its more like the poor fit and crap glue, so if i shave a bit off maybe and reglue it might be ok :(

Sam = Little hinge on bottom of hand that holds fingers to palm broke off.

macu5454 = Arm broke off.

Graham

before I could even begin to read the directions on how to transform it the FREAKIN ARM FELL OF THE DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

daishi66@aol.com

Left or right arm?

And where's the exact point of breakage? Details please.

Graham

So, looking at the pics I posted, the MPC is taller than the IMAI.

Would you guys say the MPC is not 1/55, or the IMAI is not 1/48?

I guess a quick way to know would be by comparing the pilot of the alpha with the pilot included in the yamato 1/48 assuming yamato got their scale right.

After playing around with the MPC, I'm pretty impressed. It's definitely not a chunky monkey in terms of abusability. But I'm used to the IMAI models now, and the MPC seems like it's much more on the toy side than model side. I'll post some Armo Diver and fighter mode comparisons today in better lighting.

What are those white things on the legs of the MPC? They look horrid, like glue marks or something. <_<

Missle hatches and attatchment points. I should take pics in better light :(

Sorry....i meant to quote this pic.

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/toys/mospeada/23.jpg

Right there on the heels.

You'll love this one. Number 984 has two issues. The right shoulder won't fold all the way down and allow the peg to reach the mounting hole. Not great but I can live with it. But the real kicker...the damn thing is missing the front part of it's face. :angry: It wasn't even in the box. Any chance of Toynazi selling parts needed to fix their "masterpieces"?

Edit: to try and fix picture. This MPC is so bad, not even my cat will wake up long enough to chew on it.

Edited by trueblueeyes

You'll love this one.  Number 984 has two issues.  The right shoulder won't fold all the way down and allow the peg to reach the mounting hole.  Not great but I can live with it.  But the real kicker...the damn thing is missing the front part of it's face.  :angry:  It wasn't even in the box.  Any chance of Toynazi selling parts needed to fix their "masterpieces"?

Edit: to try and fix picture.  This MPC is so bad, not even my cat will wake up long enough to chew on it.

Gee. That's just.. gahh. They missed something as glaring as the toy's face being half gone?

Legendary quality control, indeed. I hope you can get yours fixed, replaced, or flat-out refunded. That sucks. :angry:

ohh geesh, now they are missing there faces? i am glad i cancelled my preorder i do not want to spend $80.00 on a toy like this, i blow to much money already. this sucks to because i really wanted one.

You'll love this one. Number 984 has two issues. The right shoulder won't fold all the way down and allow the peg to reach the mounting hole. Not great but I can live with it. But the real kicker...the damn thing is missing the front part of it's face. :angry: It wasn't even in the box. Any chance of Toynazi selling parts needed to fix their "masterpieces"?

Edit: to try and fix picture. This MPC is so bad, not even my cat will wake up long enough to chew on it.

Melissa,

You should talk to your retailer about an exchange....That's just not cool...

-K

After a few days now I'm still happy with mine. However, I transformed it to aircraft mode last night and as I was moving it around a heard a small rattling sound. Then out of nowhere a very tiny plastic washer fell into my hand. I have no idea what part of the toy shrugged off this piece, but I have a bad feeling that I will find out the next time I transform it... :ph34r:

It really is a shame to read all these bad reports. A certain level of flaws in the run of a toy is understandable, but from what I've read here and on other boards, it really does seem to be the majority of these toys that are flawed in one way or another.

I have little understanding of the legal world, so this may sound like a foolish idea, but is there any way all the people with obvious QC problems can get together and form a class action suit against Toynami for selling such a flawed product, especially at such a high price?

Edited by eriku

I have little understanding of the legal world, so this may sound like a foolish idea, but is there any way all the people with obvious QC problems can get together and form a class action suit against Toynami for selling such a flawed product, especially at such a high price?

Kinda makes me wonder if Toynami won't turn around and say, "If you knew beforehand, why'd you buy it? No one forced you." :angry:

Kinda makes me wonder if Toynami won't turn around and say, "If you knew beforehand, why'd you buy it? No one forced you." :angry:

Actually, beforehand Toynami went out of their way to give the impression that this was a high-quality and durable toy that would be worth the price. Since that is obviously not what the majority of people received, I think Toynami could be held accountable for false advertising.

For those of you that got to handle sample versions at conventions, did those seem to be of a higher quality than what ended up in your hands?

Edited by eriku

Well guys, i've got one suggestion, maybe you can do a check on the joints and opther parts before you transform and also use the modeling kit cement to strengthen the fragile joint. so that it works better.and also check you stuff first, i did some strenthening on my joints and others, it works fine during transformation. think you can use that. :) anyway.. hope that helps some of you here before you get any more casualties..... well jjst offering a bit of help.

trueblueeyes

That is so poor :( I'm sorry. How could someone miss somthing like that?

With ALL these reports of problems, I'm begining to think that there is a conspiracy at the toy factory...I think there is a undercover agent there from a competing toy company posing as a Toynami employee :lol::lol::lol:

eyesonme78,

That is a good idea about the joints. I will try that on my shoulder joint. Maybe I will not have to take it apart.

Edited by SDFcommander

:lol: LOL and i thought having both floopy arms was the worst luck. Face lift anybody?

I got home from vacation to open mine. 2 Alphas...both opened...no missing parts, no floppines....nice toy...Im happy.

Thanks Kevin!!!!

Love the hands...like the diecast...

I did note the tight and worrysome joints people are noting (and noting being broken) Mine are tight but all work through.

Does everyones number on the outside white box match the number on the inside cover of the book?

Edited by Myersjessee