A Star Wars Tv series after Eps. III?

Lucas Talks Star Wars TV Series

Wed, Sep 15, 04 04:40:47 PM EDT

The AP has an interesting interview with George Lucas online. Here's a highlight:

AP: After "Episode III," will you ever revisit "Star Wars"?

Lucas: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things. You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.

Hmm....is this really a good thing, if it happens?

0_o wow I tend to remember a Starwars spin off series back in the 80's.....wasn't it called..........Droids?! Hell I even remember Droid comic books...I think that was Dark Horse too.....back in late 80's early 90's. I remember seeing this really strapped C3PO look-a-like and wow :ph34r: he was violent.

But the chances of a series...I'd rather see it animated rather than live action....you gotta think the amount of money would be so different between those styles.......and cheaper to get voice actors that's for sure.

Given that Lucasfilm has cashmoney to spare, I doubt a budget will be anything to worry about. I'd be worried about the show getting stupid like the novels have been. I mean, there's some great novels and comic books out there, then there's some utter crap.

Of course, I doubt they could go wrong if they made Tag and Bink the stars, and handed the show to Kevin Rubio. So many SW fans would want my head on a pike if Lucas took that suggestion seriously, though.

hey i go for the animated route, clones wars on cartoon network is freakin awsome, and it is only like 5 minutes long per episode, but they are great. let genndy tartokosky or whatever his name is, and have him do the rest of whatever it is they are going to do, i am currently looking forward to the new season of clones wars starting in March of 05

The only good scifi shows I can think of that are on tv are Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. God I love those shows :)

I think you and my old roomate are the only people on earth that think the Stargate TV shows are anything but toally lame-ass.

The only good scifi shows I can think of that are on tv are Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.  God I love those shows :)

I think you and my old roomate are the only people on earth that think the Stargate TV shows are anything but toally lame-ass.

ditto that.

SG1 is a yawn-fest.

whats was that other horrible sci-fi show, it used to be on channel 9 or something like that, some white guy and lizard looking mofo. can't remember but man that show was sooooo bad.

added, then there was earth final conflict, yeah that show was a winner. :lol:

Edited by haterist

Ugh. Zahn should be forbidden from touching anything else Star Wars. Man needs to be hit with a bat everything he thinks about it to beat the idea of writing Star Wars out of him.

Sorry... I have to side with my man Jaymz up there. Zahn is the bomb. He's the only Star Wars author who has made new characters as interesting or even more interesting than some in the original trilogy.

:o HEY!!! :o

I worked on Earth Final Conflict! Making Sci Fi is more fun than watching it ;) Plus it paid the bills. There should be more sci-fi be it TV or feature in general - plenty of room to move around (plus it pays for the Macross stuff ;) )

:o HEY!!! :o

I worked on Earth Final Conflict! Making Sci Fi is more fun than watching it ;) Plus it paid the bills. There should be more sci-fi be it TV or feature in general - plenty of room to move around (plus it pays for the Macross stuff ;) )

And it turns my world upside down to see you outside the "Toy" or "Model" forum.

TV shows don't allow for a budget like movies do. Also they have no choice but to be 'episodic'

It wouldn't take a huge budget to do something awsome, but I'm stating that a Star Wars tv series could concievably have a larger than usual budget for a tv series.

Also, epends on what you mean by 'episodic'. Not every show makes every episode a self contained little story with little relation to those before or after it. What's to keep them from making a long running serial where very episode picks up where the last left off?

My worthless thoughts:

TV series Can have substantial budgets, ie Friends. And I'm sure the SW tv series will have a bunch of nobodies in it so 99% of the budget will go on effects, and in this day and age especially with Lucas EP'ing it will all be in front of greenscreen. Also, all the effects work will be done in-house at dreamworks so it will keep the cost down.

And on the series, I think a post ep-3 would be the best as there's the most conflict there and it'd be cool to watch the Empire consolodate its hold on the galaxy, and see the design style from the old movies creep in more and more.

Downside to this would be that you couldn't have any jedi running around doing cool jedi stuff as they're all dead.

And I can't see how this series won't be like Star Trek, where we follow the adventures of a half dozen people around as they do 'stuff' - fight the empire, etc.

So maybe a post ep 6 series would be better? But againk if it's like star trek, we'll probably get both as well as a 'Knights of the Old Republic' type show.

The only good scifi shows I can think of that are on tv are Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.  God I love those shows :)

I dunno, I like the technology in the show, and we can't forgot about all the guns :p I too, liked Earth Final Conflict, but it gotta kinda weird with the whole Atavus thing near the end. I also loved Sliders. It was starting to get good, and then Jerry O'Connel and his brother left, then it turned gay. Oh yeah Quantum Leap is hella old, but it was cool too :D

Getting slightly back on topic, I have one of those Ewok tv movies on tape somewhere. I watched some of it a while back, and damn, it was horrible. It didn't feel like Star Wars at all.

Edited by Mellow Yellow

And I can't see how this series won't be like Star Trek, where we follow the adventures of a half dozen people around as they do 'stuff' - fight the empire, etc.

Please tell me this comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek.

Downside to this would be that you couldn't have any jedi running around doing cool jedi stuff as they're all dead.

That's a good thing IMHO. I don't like all of that mystical foo foo. I'd rather see a young Han, Chewie and Lando getting in and out of trouble. There's so much potential for interesting stories involving these characters. A pirate, a hustler and a space monkey, sounds like TV gold to me. :)

Please tell me this comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek.

Of course! :p I meant that it would be a shame to get locked into following one set of characters when you've got such a rich universe like this one (universe = figuratively not literally in this sense, haha.)

That's one thing I really have to give kudos to George for - he's created a an amazing universe with SW (again, figurativley!!) Or, hired an amazing team, depending on how cynical you want to be.

Graham.. you're onto something.. How about a 'Star Wars Holiday Special' TV series? Cartoons, singing, cameos from washed up has-been stars...

I say let a SW TV series be a sitcom about a family of Ewoks  .

Ducks and runs for cover.

Graham 

We already got a fuball sitcom show now.........Father of the Pride....oh god.

and I remember that Ewok movie.....I saw that in school god knows why that had to be made :( I feel sorry for the little people.

I think there was something of the equivalent of Rouge Squadron......but I can't remember what the shows name was...."Space above Beyond"? Was I right on that? About space marines in the future who have to fight a hord of aliens....it was on Fox about 6 years ago....only lasted I think 2 seasons and ended.

For some reason a Rouge Squadron series would feel like that to me....