Macross Not Popular in Japan

Extra Large Mumma

Fellow valkaholics,

I've read on this board that the reason Bandai abandoned their reissues because Macross is not popular in Japan. Is this really, really, true? Come to think of it, the explanation doesn't jive. Yamato's main product line is Macross. Their valkyrie transformation manual is not bilingual because, according to Quadrono639, the toys are meant only for Japanese customers, and that their income from exports is marginal. Now if Macross is a truly dull market in Japan, Yamato would not have prospered to these days.

I believe Macross is very popular, in and outside of Japan. Bandai's decision to not continue with the reissues is due to something else. Otherwise, I say, bring on the reissues! If old mold causes Bandai to be less competitive, then they need to redesign.

How do you feel about it?

:)

:angry::angry: I don't know what is true in Japan. The same statement can be said to the Takara Transformers. The people over here, US/ NA, seem to think Transformers in Japan is like a Mecca, but the people who live in Japan told us we are so wrong. Takara Transformers doesn't do as well as the other toy line.

So with that said, what is the number one or top elite toys that are sold in Japan if not Macross Valks or Takara Transformers?

I think the key here is that it's not as popular as Gundam. To compete with Yamato and their wide array of Macross offerings, Bandai would have to devote a lot of time and money towards design and production of new toys. To do so when there are far more profitable lines is unreasonable.

Yamato's 1/48 would be very hard for Bandai to top.

:angry::angry: I'm just curious, does the Gundam figures transform?

I know they got some spectacular robot mode especially that dude with the wing. My gosh, the level of detail, the connection, the display and size of that figure was breath taking. However, if that toy doesn't transform, then it's meaningless to me since I'm into transform stuffs.

:angry::angry: I'm just curious, does the Gundam figures transform?

I know they got some spectacular robot mode especially that dude with the wing. My gosh, the level of detail, the connection, the display and size of that figure was breath taking. However, if that toy doesn't transform, then it's meaningless to me since I'm into transform stuffs.

:D

How about Zeta Gundam?

For Bandai it is more profitable perhaps to churn out PG 1/60 of DOMs, ZAKU, etc...than to continue on an outdated design (ahem, cough, cough) of the Macross lines....

Cross your fingers...I am dying for a Hasegawa 1/32 VFs or 1/48 from Hasegawa...Love the details!

Paulo

Fellow valkaholics,

I've read on this board that the reason Bandai abandoned their reissues because Macross is not popular in Japan. Is this really, really, true? Come to think of it, the explanation doesn't jive. Yamato's main product line is Macross. Their valkyrie transformation manual is not bilingual because, according to Quadrono639, the toys are meant only for Japanese customers, and that their income from exports is marginal. Now if Macross is a truly dull market in Japan, Yamato would not have prospered to these days.

I believe Macross is very popular, in and outside of Japan. Bandai's decision to not continue with the reissues is due to something else. Otherwise, I say, bring on the reissues! If old mold causes Bandai to be less competitive, then they need to redesign.

How do you feel about it?

:)

While Macross is not as popular as Gundam in Japan, it still has a large hardcore mostly adult fan base there.

The reason for the poor sales of the Bandai 1/55 toys in Japan was not the lack of popularity of Macross, but that the majority of the mostly adult Macross fanbase thought the toy was too old school in design. This according to people in Japan who have spoken with Japanese retailers and fans.

Of course Yamato's income from exports of Macross toys overseas is mariginal. Actually, it's non existant beause of the HG blockade! However saying there is no overseas market is pure BS! Actually, there is a potentially huge market for overseas sales. If you review the sales figures of parallel (grey) imports of Yamato Macross toys bought by Macoss World members, it works out that the average fan has purchased 12 Yamato Macross toys (all scales). This based on a survey of around 200 people. If Yamato were free to export the Macross toys, retail prices could be lowered and sales would be much higher.

One only has to look at the large number of Macross models Hasegawa has released over the past few years and continues to release to get an idea of popularity. If the models did not sell well, Hasegawa, would not keep on releasing new models.

The same with Yamato. If the Macross Plus 1/72 and DYRL 1/60 and 1/48 toys were not selling well enough for Yamato to recover their costs and actually make a profit, they would not keep on releasing new toys.

Graham

From what I'd heard before, I thought Macross was kind of like Star Trek.

Not amazingly popular, but whenever a new one was released it was a sure sell.

Of course, Paramount's nearly killed Star Trek at this point, and Big West hasn't nearly killed Macross.

Edited by JB0

If rumours are true and Yamato has it's biggest no. of customers in Japan

and the VF-1A sold out we can expect that Macross isn't that bad a seller

My guess is the japanese don't care for the chunky monkeys anymore

Maybe Bandai missed the train just because competition is leagues ahead

Like others have said in this Thread. Macross is not "Dead" here, but under publicised (big time). With it not being on Television this time around they are failing to pick up new blood. What is on TV now, Gundam, Power Rangers and Masked Rider. All Bandai Shows, which are aired and re-aired 3 times a week. The older crowd still digs Macross. But in my partners shop Macross is hardly mentioned. They only talk about the above shows. I would imagine that Macross is the most popular in Toykyo. Which does make sense because the major conventions are there. My partner hasn't sold 1 Bandai, Yamato Valkyrie out of his store to a Japanese customer since I have been going there. One of the reasons we stopped buying them. You can go to Toy's R Us here and find an abundance of Yamato and Bandai's sitting on the shelves. The 1:55 sell for about $25.00 now. (But the boxes are trashed)

It is still popular here and it would sky-rocket if it had gotten a TV slot. It's just my opinion.

I think bandai will re-issue the rest of the line up..as soon as the Yamato's new releases die down. They are watching and waiting like a sleeping giant.

Rob

If rumours are true and Yamato has it's biggest no. of customers in Japan

and the VF-1A sold out we can expect that Macross isn't that bad a seller

My guess is the japanese don't care for the chunky monkeys anymore

Maybe Bandai missed the train just because competition is leagues ahead

The VF-1A 1/48's aren't sold out. At least not around Osaka. As a matter of fact you can pick one up now for 8000 yen. I think Yamato's biggest source is the over-seas market, even though it isn't supposed to be sold over-seas.

So with that said, what is the number one or top elite toys that are sold in Japan if not Macross Valks or Takara Transformers?

It's all about Gundam, baby.

Sad... but true.

Even here (SF Bay Area), I see more Gundam stuff in shops than I do Macross.

Another index of popularity...search on "Gundam" over at Google turns up 1,950,000 hits. "Macross" only turns up 471,000.

Personally, I've only seen one Gundam film ("Char's Counterattack") and I couldn't stand it.

Like others have said in this Thread. Macross is not "Dead" here, but under publicised (big time). With it not being on Television this time around they are failing to pick up new blood. What is on TV now, Gundam, Power Rangers and Masked Rider. All Bandai Shows, which are aired and re-aired 3 times a week. The older crowd still digs Macross. But in my partners shop Macross is hardly mentioned. They only talk about the above shows. I would imagine that Macross is the most popular in Toykyo. Which does make sense because the major conventions are there. My partner hasn't sold 1 Bandai, Yamato Valkyrie out of his store to a Japanese customer since I have been going there. One of the reasons we stopped buying them. You can go to Toy's R Us here and find an abundance of Yamato and Bandai's sitting on the shelves. The 1:55 sell for about $25.00 now. (But the boxes are trashed)

It is still popular here and it would sky-rocket if it had gotten a TV slot. It's just my opinion.

I think bandai will re-issue the rest of the line up..as soon as the Yamato's new releases die down. They are watching and waiting like a sleeping giant.

Rob

When they go on clearence for less than $20, feel free to pick me up a couple rob :lol:

It's all about Gundam, baby.

Sad... but true.

Even here (SF Bay Area), I see more Gundam stuff in shops than I do Macross.

Another index of popularity...search on "Gundam" over at Google turns up 1,950,000 hits. "Macross" only turns up 471,000.

Personally, I've only seen one Gundam film ("Char's Counterattack") and I couldn't stand it.

One of the reasons you see more Gundam merchandise is simply because there's more Gundam than Macross. Gundam has been a continuous cycle of TV shows, OVAs, movies with toys, models, etc to go along with it for 20 plus years. Personally, I think Gundam blows but that is something fo another time.

Whereas Macross, wakes up every once in awhile and gives us some new products. Lately, its been alot lol.

Considering how many shows have come & gone since Macross aired in the 80's, its kind of surprising to see new merchandise still being made.

For what it's worth, I was in Tokyo last December when the first Macross Zero OVA was released. The attached photo was the typical advertisement M0 got at any number of AV stores. Oh, and when I went to a Mandarake manga store, 1/60 Yamato Valks were plainly visible in the toy section, didn't notice any Bandais though. BTW, I couldn't resist picking up all the Macross records (half a dozen) they had, instead of a 1/60. I guess I'm more of a vinyl rather than a plastic nut. :lol:

BTW, in case you didn't noticed, that's M0 playing on the big screen TV...which I stood and watched of course.

post-4-1062560343_thumb.jpg

Edited by J A Dare

For what it's worth, I was in Tokyo last December when the first Macross Zero OVA was released. The attached photo was the typical advertisement M0 got at any number of AV stores. Oh, and when I went to a Mandarake manga store, 1/60 Yamato Valks were plainly visible in the toy section, didn't notice any Bandais though. BTW, I couldn't resist picking up all the Macross records (half a dozen) they had, instead of a 1/60. I guess I'm more of a vinyl rather than a plastic nut. :lol:

BTW, in case you didn't noticed, that's M0 playing on the big screen TV...which I stood and watched of course.

They have XBoxes in public display!

I'd heard that just didn't happen.

Big as it is, it took me a while to find the Macross 0 poster. Eyes kept wandering up a bit to Ghost in the Shell 2 every time I got close.

Like others have said in this Thread. Macross is not "Dead" here, but under publicised (big time).

Rob

I couldn't agree more Rob. Big West really needs to be more proactive about advertising and they really need to get a new Macross TV series on air as soon as possible and push it as hard as they can.

I've heard very vague rumors of a new TV series coming after Zero finishes, but nothing concrete. Perhaps Egan Loo (Macross Compendium) would know something?

Personaly, I think BW dropped the ball long ago by not airing a sequel TV series to Macross in the mid-to late 80's (and then a new Macross series every 2-3 years thereafter). Original Macross was pretty damn popular at the time, but BW wasted too much time on other less successful projects before returning to Macross in the 1990s. By that time they had left it too late and a lot of fans had moved on or lost interest.

If BW do release a new Macross TV series, I think they would have to go with a more mainstream approach in order to capture a bigger fanbase. While I personaly love Macross 7, it was a little to 'out there' for many people and alienated a lot of fans.

This of course begs the question, what do we as fans want in a new Macross TV series? Do we want a more mainstream approach ala Gundam SEED, aimed to appeal to a younger audience and thus sell more toys, models and CDs? Or do we want to trust Kawamori's vision, knowing full well that he may veer off into unpredictable teritory and give us a Macross that while inovative and fresh may only appeal to a limited audience?

Graham

This is very true. What happens when us 20/30-somethings are old and in nursing homes? Who will be interested in Macross if there are no more series coming out? 4 part mini series like Mac+ are great, but they don't get the continuous on-air advertising that a 24 or 36 episode series gets. It's long been accepted that the tv show plays a supporting role the the merchandise. It's funny when I re-watch old Transformers epsiodes that had me hypnotised for half and hour every saturday morning as a kid - they were just brainwashing my small mind to buy their toys! And I loved it!

It's no surprise that Gundam is king. They never stop making new material. And then comes the 100's of model kits and toys. I've never seen an episode of Gundam Seed but I own 3 kits.

I've never seen an episode of Gundam Seed but I own 3 kits.

Stone the heretic! Cast out your evil SEED kits, get down on you knees and pray to the hory Froating head for forgiveness :D

I gotta admit back in the dark decade of the mid 80s to mid 90s I must have bought over a hundred Gundam model kits to satisfy my love for mecha (even though I consider 99% of MS designs the ugliest mecha in the history of anime) as at that time there were few decent mecha toys available, so it was a case of buying Gundam models or nothing.

These days, I've pretty much renounced all Gundam merchandise, with the sole exception of the Sentinel FIX, as I love Katoki's Sentinel designs so much.

Graham

Stone the heretic! Cast out your evil SEED kits, get down on you knees and pray to the hory Froating head for forgiveness :D

Oooh, if that's how you react to SEED, I wonder what you'd say if you saw my Gundam Wing models standing next to a Jetfire that someone's dog chewed on.

Crap, did I just say that out loud?

I've heard very vague rumors of a new TV series coming after Zero finishes, but nothing concrete. Perhaps Egan Loo (Macross Compendium) would know something?

This of course begs the question, what do we as fans want in a new Macross TV series? Do we want a more mainstream approach ala Gundam SEED, aimed to appeal to a younger audience and thus sell more toys, models and CDs? Or do we want to trust Kawamori's vision, knowing full well that he may veer off into unpredictable teritory and give us a Macross that while inovative and fresh may only appeal to a limited audience?

Egan Loo mentioned that new Macross works are always a possibility, but it's really up to Kawamori and if he comes up with a good story idea that could take place in the Macross universe.

Keep in mind that while Macross 7 flopped with a lot of western Macross fans, it was pretty popular in Japan... even a few years after it's airing it managed to stay popular largely due to Fire Bomber music releases. I was also just reading a report about a con panel where one of the producers for Evangelion said there was some trepidation when they started working on Eva, because at the time "everyone was saying 'We want Macross 7!'"

Personally I don't mind Kawamori's departures from the norm. Most Japanese directors tend to get bogged down in re-hashing everything (Gundam is a severe victim of this, despite how hard Tomino tried to kill it). In this way i respect Kawamori a lot. The problem is finding the balance between the serious military nature of the original and DYRL which a lot of fans like best (especially here on MW) and the more "out-there" stuff that turned off so many people from Macross 7.

Thus far it seems like Macross Zero is doing this pretty well, but we'll have to wait and see.

Right now Gundam was the first to do a Pokemon thing, you know new stuff keeps coming out to keep the kids interested so they keep buying. Since I grew up in Canada all I got exposed to was Robotech and Transformers so that's what I like the most. I've got gundam models, but they just seem so mass produced that there is no feeling of story behind them.

Oooh, if that's how you react to SEED, I wonder what you'd say if you saw my Gundam Wing models standing next to a Jetfire that someone's dog chewed on.

Crap, did I just say that out loud?

Does the condemed have any final words?

No.

Squad! Take aim........

FIRE!

:p:p:p:p:p

Graham

hahah! :D

"Kawamori-san, please accept my next month's paycheck. I will buy 3 more 1/48 fastpack sets to atone for my blasphemy!!"

.. after I get a 1/100 assault shroud. :p

hehe, what can I say? The Seed kids are toy crack. Well, model crack. At 17 bucks a pop, they quiet my addiction until the next yamato macross release comes out.

Like others have said in this Thread.  Macross is not "Dead" here, but under publicised (big time). 

It is still popular here and it would sky-rocket if it had gotten a TV slot.  It's just my opinion.

Rob

I couldn't agree more Rob. Big West really needs to be more proactive about advertising and they really need to get a new Macross TV series on air as soon as possible and push it as hard as they can.

Personaly, I think BW dropped the ball long ago by not airing a sequel TV series to Macross in the mid-to late 80's (and then a new Macross series every 2-3 years thereafter). Original Macross was pretty damn popular at the time, but BW wasted too much time on other less successful projects before returning to Macross in the 1990s. By that time they had left it too late and a lot of fans had moved on or lost interest.

If BW do release a new Macross TV series, I think they would have to go with a more mainstream approach in order to capture a bigger fanbase. While I personaly love Macross 7, it was a little to 'out there' for many people and alienated a lot of fans.

Graham

considering there's a new SD-Gundam (superior defender) show ....

why not an SD-Macross show, too?

:D