Columbia Pictures released Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in the summer of 2001 -- that's SEVENTEEN years ago! -- and the animation still looks better than what this trailer has to offer.  Why does this Spider-Man film have such low production values?

25 minutes ago, tekering said:

Columbia Pictures released Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in the summer of 2001 -- that's SEVENTEEN years ago! -- and the animation still looks better than what this trailer has to offer.  Why does this Spider-Man film have such low production values?

Um.

I mean.

Props to Spirits Within and all, but... yeah.

4 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

New trailer!

*snip*

(I don't find my previous threat about the this movie XD)

Cool new trailer. Can’t wait.

By the way, here’s your previous post. ^_^

You can actually see Topics you created when you go to your ‘Profile’ page and click ‘See My Activity’ on the right side, and once you’re there you can click the Topics link from the left side panel. Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Might it have been a stylistic choice? Not all animation has to be HD or life like.

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

Might it have been a stylistic choice? Not all animation has to be HD or lifelike.

Oh, we're not harping on the style -- the character design and the urban aesthetic have a very Big Hero 6 vibe, which I applaud -- but the frame rate, the rendering, the focal depth, and the lighting all suggest the restrictions of a television production budget.  I wouldn't be surprised if, like The Clone Wars, this turns out to be a TV series pilot that the producers decided to release theatrically instead.

6 minutes ago, tekering said:

the frame rate, the rendering, the focal depth, and the lighting all suggest the restrictions of a television production budget.

Maybe to you...? To me it suggests an endeavor to emulate the expressiveness and high contrast of comic books and traditionally-animated cartoons. If there's a budget saving in there, then that's killing two birds with one stone. Sony Pictures Animation is hardly hurting for cash.

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Cool new trailer. Can’t wait.

By the way, here’s your previous post. ^_^

You can actually see Topics you created when you go to your ‘Profile’ page and click ‘See My Activity’ on the right side, and once you’re there you can click the Topics link from the left side panel. Hope that helps.

Thanks ^^

15 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Maybe to you...? To me it suggests an endeavor to emulate the expressiveness and high contrast of comic books and traditionally-animated cartoons. If there's a budget saving in there, then that's killing two birds with one stone. Sony Pictures Animation is hardly hurting for cash.

They might be going to a series pilot turned movie, see if any network is up for taking it up.

7 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I can see why some have issues with the animation style but I think the director is going for a comic book style of art form, I like it though. Reminds me of Tell Tale's Walking Dead games.

That and/or Polygon's art style (Knights of Sidiona, BLAME!!, Godzilla: Planet of Monsters).

This looks good- just the dialog/interaction between the characters has my interest. I also like the art style they went with- lots of mo-cap going on, but it has a clean realistic look that I like.

Additionally, I know little to nothing about the other wallcrawlers, so this will be a nice orientation into the larger Spidey Universe for me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They showed the first 30 minutes of this at NYCC this year.  I was already hyped for this, but that little preview just reinforced my enthusiasm for this film.  It's pretty much a comic book come to life.  The panels and transitions are like a motion comic, but amped up.  I like the way they are setting up this universe and would love to see more movies to follow.

Also added a picture of me as Into the Spider-Verse Miles from NYCC with a cool 2099 cosplayer.

IMG_20181005_181825_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a great time. It doesn't do anything new storytelling-wise, but the visuals and audio are fan-frakking-tastic. They also could have done a lot more with the different Spider-people, but I think that speaks more to how much I'd enjoy standalone movies starring them than any fault with the movie. Music is gold, definitely worth picking up on its own.

Post credit scenes exist, in case you were wondering.

First is really touching, the second is uproarious.

My only issue with it was how it looked like at times it was meant for 3D or something....like it it was blurry and had that double image going on...and the frame rate for the animation was a little jumpy. Not sure why they did that.

Chris

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

and the frame rate for the animation was a little jumpy. Not sure why they did that.

Exactly my issue with Polygon Pictures' Blame! on Netflix.  I remember hearing on the SpeakerPodcast that the frame rate was intentional, to give it a more hand drawn feel, since older animation had 12 drawings per second of film and this style is meant as an homage to hand drawn animation rather than something computer generated.

Personally, I don't like it.  IIRC, Human vision cannot discern beyond 60 frames per second in film (not sure about real life).   And since it's obvious that this was CG, my mind sees the absence of fluid motion and has to work harder to see beyond it.  So yeah, the stutteriness bothers me too. 

33 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Exactly my issue with Polygon Pictures' Blame! on Netflix.  I remember hearing on the SpeakerPodcast that the frame rate was intentional, to give it a more hand drawn feel, since older animation had 12 drawings per second of film and this style is meant as an homage to hand drawn animation rather than something computer generated.

Personally, I don't like it.  IIRC, Human vision cannot discern beyond 60 frames per second in film (not sure about real life).   And since it's obvious that this was CG, my mind sees the absence of fluid motion and has to work harder to see beyond it.  So yeah, the stutteriness bothers me too. 

Yeah, it’s a great movie with just a stupid style incorporated into otherwise beautiful animation. It’s unfortunate and nott consistent. It only happens when people are moving but not when things are moving or even when people are jumping around. Once again, trying to be different doesn’t make it better. Hope they drop that in the sequel. 

Chris

22 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Human vision doesn't work in framerate. You can easily tell the difference between 15, 30, 60, 120, 240 FPS on your computer (provided a sufficient monitor and computing power) by moving your mouse across the desktop. The movement of the mouse is noticeably smoother the higher the framerate.

Traditional cinema is filmed and played back at 24 frames per second (and converted to 25 or 30 in the transfer to PAL/NTSC TV standards).

Traditional animation varied framerate heavily. Complex shots with lots of budget could get up to a full 24 unique frames drawn every second, whereas a static shot would be just a single frame per second with, let's say, a character's lips changing 4 to 8 times a second, necessitating 4 to 8 sequential frames.

It is hard to mimic traditional animation well using CGI. Simply cutting the framerate down won't do it; other, arguably more important, factors that go into animation are strong key frames, good posing, and good animation techniques.

For my part, I didn't have the same issues with that "stutter" as you did, but I can see what you're getting at. I think it's the same thing that happens with Netflix's The Dragon Prince (only to a lesser degree). Let me know if I'm correct.

9 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

For my part, I didn't have the same issues with that "stutter" as you did, but I can see what you're getting at. I think it's the same thing that happens with Netflix's The Dragon Prince (only to a lesser degree). Let me know if I'm correct.

Yeah that's it.  By comparison there's this from 1996's Beast Wars. It's completely fluid, at least to my eyes, but that also make it seem "unnatural" because the movement is so constant and even:

So yeah something in between is better, but the degree to which Dragon Prince, Blame!, and Spider-verse are taking it seems extreme.

I haven't seen Spider-verse yet and can't wait.  Trying to not watch anymore teasers and trailers since it seems so good.