1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Human vision doesn't work in framerate. You can easily tell the difference between 15, 30, 60, 120, 240 FPS on your computer (provided a sufficient monitor and computing power) by moving your mouse across the desktop. The movement of the mouse is noticeably smoother the higher the framerate.

Traditional cinema is filmed and played back at 24 frames per second (and converted to 25 or 30 in the transfer to PAL/NTSC TV standards).

Traditional animation varied framerate heavily. Complex shots with lots of budget could get up to a full 24 unique frames drawn every second, whereas a static shot would be just a single frame per second with, let's say, a character's lips changing 4 to 8 times a second, necessitating 4 to 8 sequential frames.

It is hard to mimic traditional animation well using CGI. Simply cutting the framerate down won't do it; other, arguably more important, factors that go into animation are strong key frames, good posing, and good animation techniques.

For my part, I didn't have the same issues with that "stutter" as you did, but I can see what you're getting at. I think it's the same thing that happens with Netflix's The Dragon Prince (only to a lesser degree). Let me know if I'm correct.

Yeah, that has it too, but to a lesser extent then Spider-Man.

Chris

1 hour ago, Mazinger said:

Yeah that's it.  By comparison there's this from 1996's Beast Wars. It's completely fluid, at least to my eyes, but that also make it seem "unnatural" because the movement is so constant and even:

So yeah something in between is better, but the degree to which Dragon Prince, Blame!, and Spider-verse are taking it seems extreme.

I haven't seen Spider-verse yet and can't wait.  Trying to not watch anymore teasers and trailers since it seems so good.

It is SUCH a good movie to me. Possibly the best movie of the year for me. Just that stupid stutter effect and be ready for EXTREME blurriness at times....it will really make you think you should be wearing 3-D glasses. Very frustrating in an otherwise amazing movie.

Chris

The soundtrack and pacing of songs with the tone and flow of action was really top notch.  I am generally down on how Marvel movies in general have neglected their soundtracks, but his one, Black Panther and perhaps Doctor Strange are the exceptions. Of course, that could have been all Sony's doing.

Just got home from seeing this with the wife & kids. Wow, how fantastic! Loved the story & music, but the visuals & design were amazing! I thought the low frame rate look would bug me, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The integration of the comic panels, sound effects and omg, the halftone shading! 

It’s too early to tell how I’d rank this one, but it’s vying for top spot along with Raimi #2 & Homecoming...

Spoiler video.

It touches on one of the things I noticed in my... surprisingly many viewings of this movie. I know some of you mentioned it here as well, and it's just one of the many tiny little questions that make me really really want to return to this universe.

(Wow, I think I've seen it something like... 4, 5 times now? Completely unintentionally, just with this set of friends and then that set of friends, etc.)

Edited by kajnrig
hate how the board handles spoiler tags, booooo

My only complaint about the NARATIVE in the movie is a minor one but it did stick out to me immediately is

The utter lack of a Reaction by Gwen upon seeing Peter. Her Peter’s Death was her Uncle Ben moment. Surely seeing him again would be very emotional. Also Peter had no reaction to seeing Gwen again either. After all she was his first love and Died by his hand (accidentally). Now I get they didn’t cover the prime universe’s Gwen Stacey story but Spider-fans know it. So it’s odd he wouldn’t react to seeing her again. BUT Gwen’s Peter story is covered in the movie so it makes her lack of reaction to seeing Peter again very odd.

Kind of a minor thing, but still found it odd in an otherwise near flawless story. No just ditch the damn “3D” background effect bs and we’re golden. ;)

Chris

20 minutes ago, Dobber said:

My only complaint about the NARATIVE in the movie is a minor one but it did stick out to me immediately is

Hide contents

The utter lack of a Reaction by Gwen upon seeing Peter. Her Peter’s Death was her Uncle Ben moment. Surely seeing him again would be very emotional.

I agree, it's one of the sticking points to me as well, though... I don't know if I'd put it into that category so much as the aforementioned "tiny unanswered questions that just makes me want to return to this more and more" one. My take, so far, is that

she's successfully adjusted to her Peter's death, so even if she feels some pangs of guilt/longing at seeing 616-Peter, she's emotionally stable enough to separate the two characters. That said, I have no doubt that people are working on fanfics as we speak...

Also Peter had no reaction to seeing Gwen again either.

I thought that as well at first, but then it's not confirmed that Gwen is a part of his backstory at all.

EDIT:

Also, I just listened to the Christmas album and holy crap Shameik Moore has a damn good singing voice wtf.

Edited by kajnrig

Seems everybody are getting in on the Spider-verse hype. I for one am all for it:

"'Legend of Korra' Fan Art Gives Korra and Asami #Spidersonas"

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2019/01/06/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-legend-of-korra-spidersonas/

EDIT:

Cowboy Bebop fan animation inspired by Spider-verse style:

Edited by kajnrig

I didn't think I was going to see this one in the theaters, as I am not a big animation fan. But I went the other night and I loved it! What a fun ride. Plenty of action and humor all tied together with great character interactions. Turns out I had no problem with the animation style. This movie was great from beginning to end, and it seemed that at any moment whether there was action of no action, I was just glued to the screen. If they make another one, I'll be going to see it.

I have to say that this is now my most favorite Spiderman movie. Sorry Maguire.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:29 PM, kajnrig said:

I agree, it's one of the sticking points to me as well, though... I don't know if I'd put it into that category so much as the aforementioned "tiny unanswered questions that just makes me want to return to this more and more" one. My take, so far, is that

Hide contents

she's successfully adjusted to her Peter's death, so even if she feels some pangs of guilt/longing at seeing 616-Peter, she's emotionally stable enough to separate the two characters. That said, I have no doubt that people are working on fanfics as we speak...

Hide contents

I thought that as well at first, but then it's not confirmed that Gwen is a part of his backstory at all.

EDIT:

Also, I just listened to the Christmas album and holy crap Shameik Moore has a damn good singing voice wtf.

In the comic book versions they both have HUGE reactions to each other.  Pete less so because he’s already dealt with his side for quite a few years and he ends up coming off like an over-protective brother.

Edited by Mommar

54 minutes ago, Mommar said:

In the comic book versions they both have HUGE reactions to each other.  Pete less so because he’s already dealt with his side for quite a few years and he ends up coming off like an over-protective brother.

Cool, thanks for the info. Now hopefully they’ll loose that horrible 3D “comic color misprint” look they used for the background some of the time I’ll be stoked.

056ADF47-AB55-4D92-840C-F6725E1B3D76.jpeg.0e5f5a3f6d2d3c90f9fb0e5ffaf8d113.jpeg

for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone thinks that looks good.

Chris

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

You're talking about this, right? (I'm sure there's more, but this always seems to be everyone's go-to.)

9zbyOG2.jpg

That's all well and good, except... these aren't those characters. These characters are unique to this movie, despite whatever similarities they may have to past renditions. Spider-Gwen in the comics is in college, for instance (or, well, the Gwen we follow, anyway); here she's in middle school. Her costume is very slightly different; she wears ballet slippers in the movie and Chucks in the comics.

During Peter B's intro, there's imagery that evokes the Gwen arc when he mentions that he broke his back, but that's about the extent of it. As far as we know, he never met a Gwen Stacy.

44 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Cool, thanks for the info. Now hopefully they’ll loose that horrible 3D “comic color misprint” look they used for the background some of the time I’ll be stoked.

for the life of me I can’t understand why anyone thinks that looks good.

Chris

For what it's worth, that scene isn't in the movie, and the movie itself doesn't (IIRC anyway) go nearly that far with the chromatic aberration elsewhere. It may have been used to test animation techniques and/or got cut as part of the ~10 minutes of footage that the director mentioned happening.

I can think of several times when backgrounds looked about that bad. Miles in the squad car, Peter and Miles in the diner, Miles in the graveyard, random shots of the city when a spider person is swinging around. The “stop motion” style they decided to use, while I don’t care for it, I can adjust to. That 3D blur or whatever it is is just a terrible idea. The one big “blotch” on an otherwise amazing movie. YMMV.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...