TomyTec GIMIX Macross Delta 1/144

seti88

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

The Tamiya glue will work if you sand away the paint from the areas to be glued first. It's supposed to work with bare plastic, so obviously the paint will get in the way of that. As for type of super glue, I'm partial to gel-form super glues that have a slightly longer work time than the 20 microseconds you get with the watery variety. Brand doesn't matter too much, I think.

I wouldn't want to offer advice without having tried it myself, but I imagine (thin) aluminium foil glued to the walls of the kit would work just as well... NZEOD?

tinfoil is a pain in the but to work with at this tiny scale, it rips more than goes where you want it too, where as the tape has its own glue that wont eat the paint and is stiffer.

tamiya glue isnt glue its a cement that chemically melts the styrene and amalgamates them together. Like welding.

Runny superglue will take off on you and end up EVERYWHERE, go with tiny amounts of medium CA or gel. Just keep to TINY amounts so it doesnt squirt out of the seams.

Believe it or not I built my VF-31's with krazy glue. It's the absolute best super glue and I always buy it on sale for $1.50 for 2 tubes at the drug store nearby.

The only issue people have with Super glue is they use way too much. Krazy glue is super easy to control as the plastic bottle let's you super-fine tune just how much glue you want to use on each part.

It's true that work-time is very low with super glue, but that's why you need to trim and test fit everything a few times before you actually make the bond.

Personally I like using the Loctite superglue which is easily found at your local hardware store or Home Depot. Depending on the type you get, the hardening time can range between 5 to 15 secs.  The trick to using superglue (particularly the liquid type) is to drop a small amount onto some throwaway piece of plastic and then using a toothpick to apply the glue.  Never apply directly from the bottle.

55 minutes ago, Duymon said:

Believe it or not I built my VF-31's with krazy glue. It's the absolute best super glue and I always buy it on sale for $1.50 for 2 tubes at the drug store nearby.

The only issue people have with Super glue is they use way too much. Krazy glue is super easy to control as the plastic bottle let's you super-fine tune just how much glue you want to use on each part.

It's true that work-time is very low with super glue, but that's why you need to trim and test fit everything a few times before you actually make the bond.

NOT THE KRAGLE!!!

krazy-glue.jpg

I personally use zapagap because the name makes me laugh for some reason. It's basically the same as most ca super glues. I use the liquid type in small drops and usually aply with a toothpick or a pointy piece of sprue leftover from snipping out parts. Just remember that with ca glue you only need a small amount.

On 11/01/2017 at 10:34 AM, Andy NYK said:

I'm not a modeler too, and I was able to assemble these with just a nipper, a knife and glue. Maybe some clothes clips to hold glued parts together to dry. Macro-able eyes and small fingers needed too, the parts could be very small, haha!

Tweezers might also help with the small parts.

1 hour ago, hachi said:

Tweezers might also help with the small parts.

One of the absolute best tools is reverse-action tweezers for tiny parts. Traditional tweezers require keeping pressure on the tweezers while holding which can lead to unnecessary handshake and loss of fine motor control. if the grip isn't enough you can still squeeze forward of the handle in order to increase grip strength as needed.

264553-12290-76-pristine.jpg

Edited by Duymon

• 4 weeks later...

Freyas is almost sold out and the Kairos is LONG sold out so... I dont think thats the issue. The VF-1s are starting to get thin on the ground too

So what did you all buy so far from this line?

For myself, I bought:

1 x VF-31J Fighter (built wheels up).

1 x VF-31J Battroid.

1 x VF-31J Gerwalk set (built as Gerwalk).

1 x VF-31C Fighter (built wheels up).

1 x VF-31A Fighter (built wheels up).

1 x VF-31S Fighter (built wheels up).

Planning to order 1 x Sv-262 Fighter soon also.

I hv got mirages 31 and the 31a fighters, vf-1s and 1a gerwalks all of which I haven't built yet!! And the led light and the tarmac vehicle kit...Arrrgh just so bz...plus my table is a horrible mess since last year...

Edited by seti88

5 VF-1A Battroids

4 VF-1A Fighters (1 wheels down, 3 in flight with lit engines)

1 VF-1a Gerwalk

1 VF-1J Battroid

2 VF-1J Fighters (1 wheels down, one in flight with lit engines)

1 VF-1J Gerwalk

1 VF-1S Battroid

2 VF-1S Fighter (1 wheels down, 1 wheels up lit engine)

2 VF-1S Gerwalk

6 VF-31A Fighters (all wheels down, 1 lit engine - but its a dud unit as they made it with one white and one blue LED!)

1 VF-31S Fighter (wheels down engine lit)

1 VF-31J Fighter (wheels down engine lit)

Century Wings 1/144 deck crew sets 1,2,3 and 4

2 1/144 Flight Deck tractors

1 VF-31C Fighter (wheels down engine lit)

1 AC920 Airfield Tower set

5 AC921 Tarmac sets

1 AC922 Fuel truck set

2 Dragon 1/144 carrier deck sets

Using the Airfield sets to build an Airbase display to show the Wheels down fighters on

Using the carrier deck sets to display the rest of the Fighters on

The Battroids, Gerwalks and Fighters in flight are part of the City fight diorama

The VF-1S in flight is displayed on a mini base showing it low and swept back racing over the desert with sand billowing behind it.

The VF-1S Gerwalk is displayed on a mini base showing it racing over the waves on a sea with water blasting out behind it. 

The VF-1A fighters are all shown with full ordnance loads.

yeah... I have issues

Edited by NZEOD

1 hour ago, NZEOD said:

5 VF-1A Battroids

4 VF-1A Fighters (1 wheels down, 3 in flight with lit engines)

1 VF-1a Gerwalk

1 VF-1J Battroid

2 VF-1J Fighters (1 wheels down, one in flight with lit engines)

1 VF-1J Gerwalk

1 VF-1S Battroid

2 VF-1S Fighter (1 wheels down, 1 wheels up lit engine)

2 VF-1S Gerwalk

6 VF-31A Fighters (all wheels down, 1 lit engine - but its a dud unit as they made it with one white and one blue LED!)

1 VF-31S Fighter (wheels down engine lit)

1 VF-31J Fighter (wheels down engine lit)

Century Wings 1/144 deck crew sets 1,2,3 and 4

2 1/144 Flight Deck tractors

1 VF-31C Fighter (wheels down engine lit)

1 AC920 Airfield Tower set

5 AC921 Tarmac sets

1 AC922 Fuel truck set

2 Dragon 1/144 carrier deck sets

Using the Airfield sets to build an Airbase display to show the Wheels down fighters on

Using the carrier deck sets to display the rest of the Fighters on

The Battroids, Gerwalks and Fighters in flight are part of the City fight diorama

The VF-1S in flight is displayed on a mini base showing it low and swept back racing over the desert with sand billowing behind it.

The VF-1S Gerwalk is displayed on a mini base showing it racing over the waves on a sea with water blasting out behind it. 

The VF-1A fighters are all shown with full ordnance loads.

yeah... I have issues

Nice collection! Must be a nice scene at night with those fighters lit up!
Those cannon fodders are the best of the lot i gather...I like the gritty 1A battroid look and the sleekness of the 31A fighters as well...

Edited by seti88

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Must have been crazy expensive, too. Wow. All's I have is the VF-31A.

yeah.... we don't discuss that in my house...

but atleast they are cheaper than DX figures. $35 - $40 each

Edited by NZEOD

I just got the blue one, the pink one and the grey one and the bad guy. All in fighter mode. It's early and I don't remember the actual number designations. LOL 

edit -- i will pick up the Arad and the Messer and Chuck when they are released fighter only. Too expensive and too much space to do all the DX's. 

Edited by derex3592

6 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I just got the blue one, the pink one and the grey one and the bad guy. All in fighter mode. It's early and I don't remember the actual number designations. LOL 

edit -- i will pick up the Arad and the Messer and Chuck when they are released fighter only. Too expensive and too much space to do all the DX's. 

Arads one is out already.

VF-31S Fighter mode MCR18