Master Made SD-style SDF-1 "Makuros"

Max1984

Do Canada customers pay importing tax for toys? At what declaration rate do Canada customer don't have to pay importing tax?

I'm trying to see if i can solve international shipping problem for my international customers. The new site should be up before items arrived.

Edited by evilcat005

Do Canada customers pay importing tax for toys? At what declaration rate do Canada customer don't have to pay importing tax?

I'm trying to see if i can solve international shipping problem for my international customers. The new site should be up before items arrived.

I believe they do. Wmcheng always mentions it why he likes to buy at NY since that shop underdeclare the price which helps him save some $$

I'm trying to come up with solution for international buyers regarding to this problem. with the new website fast approach, i'm planning to have it adjust custom declaration manually, then down the line make it automated. I think for now, any international customer who want to buy it can tell me to mod the custom declaration. Just Email me for the declaration rate. Long as customer is willing to take responsibility of custom holding it because of low value declaration then i should be okay with it.

Excited for this but why such big boxes? I wish more companies would use space more efficiently...

It does come with 3 stands and 2 extra figures. I think 1 side is all accessory, the other side is the figure itself. Over all I think you just get a lot out of it, and a big figure.

Edited by evilcat005

I think the figure is only about 9 inches tall. The picture next to the pack of ciggys makes it look huge though. For any future 3P company lookin to make Macross-inspired toys...smaller boxes please! ...and no blister packs/carded figures!

Edited by xrentonx

I think the figure is only about 9 inches tall. The picture next to the pack of ciggys makes it look huge though. For any future 3P company lookin to make Macross-inspired toys...smaller boxes please! ...and no blister packs/carded figures!

Personally as a collector I like it, its a nice way to display both accessory, and figure nicely in shelf with out opening the box. But from a merchant point of view its bad because bigger box size mean more expensive shipping. As all our shipping are calculated based on dimensional weight, big dimensional weight mean more expensive for merchant to import it. Over all I like it, of course, this is just my 2 cents, which you guys can ignore.

Canadians musy pay GST (5% Federal Sales Tax) on any imported item valued over 20$ CDN. Canadians resident in provinces other than Alberta may have to pay Provincial Sales Tax or Harmonised Sales Tax as well. (Albertans don't because there is no PST in Alberta. Residents of Yukon, NWT or Nunavut because those aren't provinces and therefore can't have PST. HST is when a province and GoC make a deal to share administrative costs and in so doing reduce the combined GST + PST amount by a couple percent.)

Some types of items also have import duties, but to my knowledge toys should not. (I could dig that out but it's a pain, and I'd rather do it tomorrow at work when I can get paid for my efforts - I'm a law librarian, you see.)

Items that have been declared as gifts must pay taxes and duties on the amount of the value over 60$CDN. So importing a gift valued at 200$ means the recipient is liable for taxes and duties on 140$. Do note, however, that declaring a commercial item as a gift is a criminal offence in Canada, and that the RCMP and the FBI have a good working relationship. At the minimum, getting caught falsely declaring gifts will cause all your shipments to come under heightened scrutiny. It may also result in all packages sent by you being seized by the Crown, and possibly lease to criminal charges.

Underdeclaring the value of a package risks fraud charges, and more relevantly, means that should something go wrong the carrier is only required to indemnify you for the declared value.

Canada Post and private couriers are not allowed to release an item unless all taxes and duties have been paid. They are allowed to collect these fees on behalf of Canada Border Services Agency. They are allowed to charge service fees to cover the costs they incur as part of collecting taxes for CBSA; as of this writing CPC charges 10$, and my understanding is that the various couriers are similar. (For a time they were much more expensive, but people began learning the tricks and competition has brought that down to something close too, though still higher than, CPC.)

In theory, a recipient can refuse delivery, and have the package returned to CBSA, and then get it themselves, paying the duty and taxes directly to CBSA. However, this means the parcel is returned to it's point of entry. This may be nearby - FedEx and UPS, for example, probably brought it into the country at the nearest international airport. Or it may not. CPC will have brought the package in at one of their main import centres - Vancouver, near Toronto (I forget which outlying city it's actually in), or Montreal. So in practice, it's usually simpler to pay the service fee.

Items declared in foreign currencies will have their value converted before calculating import fees. A 20$USD item is, as of right now, worth 21.77$CDN, and would trigger the fees.

Not all items are inspected by CBSA, and if it's not inspected, no taxes will be charged, unless they were pre-paid by the shipper. (This is the complaint many Canadians have with ebay's Global Shipping Program, it's forcing us to pay taxes we may not be liable for and charging a substantial service fee in the process.) In my personal experience, items coming from the US are more likely to be inspected than items from the UK or Asia.

In summation, then: Canadians will pay at least 10$ + 5% on any package worth more than 20$CDN that is inspected by CBSA, which packages from the US are fairly likely to be.

Only 5%? *sob* :(

should see how much UK pay for. LOL. As a merchant we get all kind of complain. I think i'm going to have to put the FAQ more clear. because there are time when item are underdeclare might be flagged, and confiscated, then i get customers who will complain never got their items. I think i will write up a better FAQ for all to agree on, and have lower declare value for international customers, and offer first class package shipping

It does come with 3 stands and 2 extra figures. I think 1 side is all accessory, the other side is the figure itself. Over all I think you just get a lot out of it, and a big figure.

That's my guess as well, SDF-1 on one side and the rest of the bits on the other. Looks massive, but whatever.

I'm a veteran of the old days of Yamato toys so enormous boxes are nothing new. Thanks for the photo!

the only diecast i would even care about is at the bottom of the stand so it is stable to hold the figure. That and maybe the feet and some key joints maybe.

Anyways, when will the reviewers receive copies, and who are the reviewers again?

3 reviewers will be getting a copy for review Peaugh, Redshoulder, and the last one is likely VEEF. But for VEEF i have to reach out to DX first. If not VEEF, then i will select another one for review. so at the end there will be plenty of opinions for you guys to pick and choose from. 2nd opinion is good, 3rd is just better. I might have Macrossworld take a look at it and write up written review with photos. After that, its up to the fans to judge it at MWC, and NYCC.

Edited by evilcat005

I am really tempted to buy one. It looks so good and it transforms too!

I have to say it's amazingly detailed, comparable to the Yamato SDF-1 even. I could swear they used the Yamato 1/2000 or 1/3000 as reference. The shoulder rail cannons, for example, seem to be based off of Yamato's interpretation which looks different than the line art.

Only 5%? *sob* :(

5% is the federal tax. Provinces usually have their own tax, which is also charged on most imports.

So, Alberta, Nunavut, Yukon and The Northwest Territories pay 5% (since Alberta has no PST, because oil, and the other three aren't provinces and thus can't charge PST). Saskatchewan pays 10%, BC 12%, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, and New Brunswick all pay 13%, Prince Edward Island pays 14%, Quebec pays 14.975% (because saving 0.025 cents on the dollar is important, I guess), and Nova Scotia pays 15%.

Which does make me glad I live in Alberta. And yes, I'm pretty sure that even NS's tax is still less than what most of Europe pays. Yay NAFTA! :)

Edited by Vagabond Elf

5% is the federal tax. Provinces usually have their own tax, which is also charged on most imports.

So, Alberta, Nunavut, Yukon and The Northwest Territories pay 5% (since Alberta has no PST, because oil, and the other three aren't provinces and thus can't charge PST). Saskatchewan pays 10%, BC 12%, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, and New Brunswick all pay 13%, Prince Edward Island pays 14%, Quebec pays 14.975% (because saving 0.025 cents on the dollar is important, I guess), and Nova Scotia pays 15%.

Which does make me glad I live in Alberta. And yes, I'm pretty sure that even NS's tax is still less than what most of Europe pays. Yay NAFTA! :)

Yeah NAFTA is pretty sweet!

Good choices Evilcat, thanks for the update.

When has the producer said they were sending the copies to you or the reviewer? Will the reviewers have it before the show?

Most likely its going to reach reviewer this month for review. Its going to reach me first then it will be sent to reviewers right away. So there is going to be a review race lol.

Just checked my tracking it says its here!! I hope its waiting for me at home, because it have a attempted deliver status

Edited by evilcat005

Did Jenius decline to review then, would have thought he'd have been top of your list?

Ps UK custom charges and fees are no laughing matter! ;)

Pps Can't wait for mine. :)

I don't believe Jenius ever reached out to me. I only contacted those who reached out to me, and have express vast interest in reviewing the product. I did contact optibotimus, but i never heard back from him neither.