Royal Space Force- The Wings of Honneamise on BD in october

Marzan

A true anime classic by Gainax will come out in BD in october. Although the Bandai and Madman DVD releases are excellent, the temptation to get this one in BD quality will be strong.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-27/maiden-japan-to-release-royal-space-force-film-on-dvd/bd-in-october

Already have the Bandai Visual / Honneamise Honneamise (lol) Blu Ray / DVD combo released domestically a few years ago. But I may pick this up just to support such an awesome license rescue.

A true anime classic by Gainax will come out in BD in october. Although the Bandai and Madman DVD releases are excellent, the temptation to get this one in BD quality will be strong.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-27/maiden-japan-to-release-royal-space-force-film-on-dvd/bd-in-october

From the article:

"The film also launched the careers of other would-be directors such as Hideaki Anno, Hiroyuki Kitakubo, Mahiro Maeda, and Ichiro Itano."

Yes, because Ichiro Itano was completely unknown before Honneamise...... :/

Already have the Bandai Visual / Honneamise Honneamise (lol) Blu Ray / DVD combo released domestically a few years ago. But I may pick this up just to support such an awesome license rescue.

+1

Wow I am suprised they say that this film launched Itano's career. From what I know he was working in the anime industry while he was driving a delivery truck in the beginning. If I am he was working on Mobile Suit Gundam while driving the trucks.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else here gotten the Royal Space Force 25th anniversary fanzine? It's really quite good and has a ton of info and analysis on the film and the origins of Gainax. It's done by Carl Gustav Horn and some of the crowd at ANN. I highly recommend it.

• 1 year later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

i watched this with no subs in the late 80s. must buy it and actually watch it w subs. i also watched borgman last battle, baoh, fist of the north star, and gundam F91 with no subs and made up dialogue as i watched.

couldn't figure out f91 and borgman so i skipped to the end action scenes. baoh didn't really need subs as he didn't talk much, fist of the north star i always wondered what they talked about when dying but pretty much figured out what's going on.

Wings of Honneamise (i dont think i even knew the title)... that was a tough one i sat through it clueless and it made me feel uneasy... i need to get this.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Is that region free?

No. That's a region A (The America's, Japan etc).

Anime Limited has licensed it for the UK, it is due in April. Is £25.25 a reasonable price for it?

Yes. It's a classic and Anime Limited makes some really nice releases with nice packaging. Moreover, it has the 20 page booklet translated from the Japanese release (which as far as I can tell the American release doesn't have).

Never saw it. Heard it was a classic.

Found it on Hulu today. Decided to watch it.

It is wonderfully animated but incredibly boring.

30 minutes to the end my sound died on me. After fixing it I decide to do something else.

Guest davidwhangchoi

30 minutes to the end my sound died on me. After fixing it I decide to do something else.

oh it's on hulu? thanks, didn't know that... going to run over there and save 20 bucks

No. That's a region A (The America's, Japan etc).

Yes. It's a classic and Anime Limited makes some really nice releases with nice packaging. Moreover, it has the 20 page booklet translated from the Japanese release (which as far as I can tell the American release doesn't have).

Nice.

• 4 months later...

haha! yeah it was a little boring wasn't it.. :rolleyes: still I enjoyed watching it! ^_^

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...