Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Yup. I sure hope that's the actual name on the box. Though what I'm really waiting/hoping for are detailed analysis of the mass-market toys vs the "actual" models in the film. I'd totally be OK with a much larger more expensive direct-sales-only version of most of the main sets.

And yes, surprised at how good the "not the actual famous actor" voice-cameo-imitation was. (won't spoil it, but it's the one where everyone else in his group reprised their role in that scene)

PS---really, my only disappointment in the film "bricks-wise" was when they mentioned the monorail----and it was just a simple tile-based railway, not actual Lego monorail pieces. How cool would an elaborate monorail set have been?

Holy crap.. I need like.. four of those kits, just so I can get a decent amount f those huge engine parts. And 1980s space logo pieces as far as the eye can see. :p Also, funny to see them actually finally re-use the purpose-made piece they made for the collectors series X-Wing. I think this might be only the third time it was ever used in a kit.

It's molded to be off-set a bit, but not actually cracked.

Also, looking through what I currently have, and what's needed to upgrade/retro-ify Benny's ship, I'm seriously lacking a few "essentials". Notably, these:

394026.jpg

That's the essential basic "ship landing gear" piece, and Benny's ship has no gear at all from what I can see. IMHO it's the biggest design oversight----every main spacship set I can think of had 1 of 2 pieces used in large numbers as landing gear, the other being this:

4579635.jpg

Which I have tons of, but not what I want for Benny's I think.

Lots of other little things I think of as "space" parts that aren't in his ship, but his ship seemingly being smooth-bottomed stuck out the most at me.

(really, I wanted EVERY single "space" part to be found in Benny's ship---but there's really not that many---I was hoping it'd be like buying every single classic and Futuron set at once, parts-type-wise---but even the basic "hose" isn't there, they're new-style big hoses)

Holy cow, the nostalgia... yeah, I remember having dozens of both of those parts.. I also remember never attaching them, and building retractable gear onto all my ships. :lol: The others I'm thinking of were the big tail-like supports that they used on the original Futuron Monorail (I think). I've got oodles of blue ones of those for some reason.

I'm hoping Benny's ship will sell like hotcakes, and maybe LEGO will pick a classic set to rerelease. My vote would be for the Galaxy Explorer, or the Starfleet Voyager.

Otherwise, I'd love to see Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron, and M-Tron be renewed in modern LEGO Space sets. It has been and ever shall be my favorite theme in LEGO. That blue and grey still looks striking to me.

My wife and I saw the movie on Friday; we both enjoyed it alot. I had a perma-smile from the opening all the way til the last credit rolled. They did an amazing job with the CG...those ocean waves were amazing. The game is pretty cool as well, chock full of movie scenes.

It made 69 mil on opening weekend. Not too shabby.

I *know* I had the Galaxy Commander, almost certain I didn't have the Galaxy Explorer. Not sure about Cosmic Fleet Voyager. Any would be great re-releases, and have parts to help modify Benny's.

I'd guess they'd do the Galaxy Commander if any---of the very few re-releases LEGO does, they tend to be big. Though the Galaxy Explorer IS the direct ancestor of Benny's and will likely become very famous/desirable because of that.

I think I'm going to sell off most of my Star Wars sets to fund buying Classic Space stuff, so if anyone's interested in B/Y/X-wings etc, let me know.

In my experience, the Galaxy Explorer is still highly sought, and quite iconic. The Galaxy Commander is a pretty cool set, but I doubt it stirs memory or nostalgia as much. I'm shamed to say I had to look up the Cosmic Fleet Voyager. I never cared for the front end of that ship. From the beginning, the wedge shaped ships really drew my eye. Ironically, I never had any of those sets as a kid, and only managed to get a mostly intact copy of the Galaxy Explorer years ago. I've been slowly accumulating the sets I wanted over time, but still have a few to go. The Starfleet Voyager is high on my list.

As you say, LEGO's re-releases do tend to be large sets, and most are unfeasible now since many of the old parts, especially hinges, have long been retired. So, what we'd get is a redesigned version of the sets rather than exact copies. More's the pity...those old hinge pieces are incredibly useful, especially for SNOT building.

So, I fondly hope that the popularity of the movie also sparks enough interest in Classic Space to incite LEGO's interest in producing a few sets to maybe test the waters. As an Adult Fan of LEGO, and knowing AFOLs as well as frequenting LEGO forums, there is still much fervor for the return of classic space themes across the board. Benny's Spaceship may just be the catalyst we've been hoping for. I can only hope most fervently.

I still have that Galaxy Commander set with instructions, but the box is long gone. That and the Starfleet Voyager were favorites of mine when I was a kid. The combined modes of both sets inspired many imaginary stories. I have the Futuron Monorail Transport System too. Most of my old legos are packed away today, though, due to a shortage of display space.

Since this thread is already delicious off topic I want to add that Lego has to reissue the huge Millenium Falcon Set that is in scale with the mini figs. The prices on e-bay and the amazon market place are just too damn high *insert meme here*. ^_^

Why does Emmet sound like a kid in the Japanese version?

Japanese Cast

Toshiyuki Morikawa (Kurosaki in Bleach, Gallant in Buddy Complex) as Emmet

Miyuki Sawashiro (Petit Charat in Di Gi Charat) as Wyld Girl (Wyldstyle)

Koichi Yamadera (Spike in Cowboy Bebop, Togusa in Ghost in the Shell) as Oshigoto Shacho/Oshigoto Daioh (President Business/Lord Business)

Tessho Genda (Optimus Prime in Transformers, Dan Dastun in The Big O) as Batman

Akiko Yajima (Dorothy in The Big O, Relena in Gundam Wing)

Michio Hazama (Gloval in Macross)

Hiroshi Iwasaki (dub actor for Rowan Atkinson, Paul Giamatti and Stanley Tucci)

Yasuhiro Mamiya

Japanese Cast (Trailer)

Miina Tominaga (Sazae-san, Noa in Mobile Police Patlabor) as Emmet

Hiroki Tochi (Daguza in Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Lasse in Mobile Suit Gundam 00) as Batman

Ichiro Nagai (1931-2014) (Degwin Zabi in Mobile Suit Gundam, Dr. Sado in Uchuu Senkan Yamato) as Vitruvius (one of his final dubbing roles)

Edited by areaseven

Funny, seeing all the Lego stuf I never was able to get actually makes me feel younger.. parents started getting them for me at age 3, but i was still only able to catch the tail end of the original Space series. First set I got was with a blue "Benny" figure, then that was the last I saw of the visor-less helmets.

Yup, I must have had at least one black one:

http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6891-1

I know I owned that, because I remember the 10,000 times the red dish up front fell off.

::edit::

Had at least two, there's a black one in this one:

http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6951-1

And I know for sure I had that one. (it's a really really unique set)

The blue space guys were pretty rare, IIRC. Supreme geekdom here: It looks like Benny has the thicker lip on his helmet, which was designed to overcome the cracking issue.

I think I'm going to recommend seeing this with the kid. It might have a few stressful moments for her, but it's lego, with batman and wonder woman! Plus, it may be a gateway to more actiony movies like Star Wars...

Ironically, if there's any space man I don't recall owning, it's blue. Had many white/red/yellow, and maybe a black one or two. But blue? Doesn't ring a bell. (probably did though, based on how many space sets I had)

I only had the space men in red, yellow, and white. I had quite a few of the late-70s to early-80s space sets, but never owned any of the Futuron, Blacktron, or Space Police sets.

I have several Blue Spacemen, I was there at the beginning of Lego space so, I had to get Blue ones when they came out. So kits were bought because of the bits they contained and also the colour of the personnel included.

I still have all of mine, and the instructions, sadly only a few boxes remain.

Just got back from seeing it and it was appropriately awesome. I would absolutely love a screen accurate Micro-manager bot. I think I'll being going to the Lego store tomorrow or this weekend and picking up the Cloud Cuckoo Palace set. I think I'll also need to buy a tube of krazy glue and glue the cap to emits back.

Aah the excitement when the first Yellow Spacemen came out...

Yell yeah, I remember going into the store with my brother while my mom look at some mom appropriate stuff, we were "yellow, spacemen. Seconds later we both were in the cashiers line with a kit each

Already got one of thoses. Ever since I saw a guy on the Tube (subway) dressed as a Lego spaceman, I wanted one.

I've not seen a good pic of it anywhere else, so here's the box:

DSCN67971.JPG

I'm somewhat disappointed that Benny's two faces are "open smile" and "standard old-school minifigure". Really no need for the 'basic' one, when "screaming out 'SPACESHIP!'" could have been the other side.

mqdefault.jpg

I would so have "screaming-face Benny" as the pilot...

Thought: Possible un-announced feature. I'm starting to suspect the front cockpit can separate, or there's a vehicle hidden inside the center, or something. Why? I saw evidence in early pics, but this gives more credence:

http://www.figures.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=334021&title=lego-movie&cat=12711

The "latch" tiles---LEGO never "jokes" about that or has them as "pretend" things---if it says latch, then that is the actual physical latch point of a moving assembly. Plus grab-handles right there. Also, the big hinge assembly (grey with black ends) to the rear of that section. Lastly---see the gap in the plates? Could just be poor assembly, but also is exactly how "barely held-down" plates look when covering an open section. I'm certain that part can be lifted up at least, the only question is what for.

I've not seen a good pic of it anywhere else, so here's the box:

I'm somewhat disappointed that Benny's two faces are "open smile" and "standard old-school minifigure". Really no need for the 'basic' one, when "screaming out 'SPACESHIP!'" could have been the other side.

I would so have "screaming-face Benny" as the pilot...

They want US$99 for that?!?