The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I just got the fallowing from bbts:

Hi - We've received word from our suppliers in Japan that the MP-13 Soundwave will now include Laserbeak! We have also been told that the Japanese retail price (MSRP) on this figure has gone from 12,000 yen to 15,800 - an increase of about 31% (about $47 US). The wholesale pricing we pay has also gone up that same 31%. We do not take price increases lightly, and we typically absorb small changes in our costs, but with the substantial change in the product through the addition of Laserbeak and the large jump in our cost, we do need to update pricing on all preorders.

The preorder price on the website has been raised to $169.99. For all of you who have already preordered, we will take an extra $10 off that and adjust your preorder price to $159.99. With the addition of Laserbeak, our cost per piece has gone up significantly more than $20, we will pass along only $20 and absorb the rest of the extra cost as a token of goodwill.

We really appreciate your business, and we apologize for the price increase from Takara, but Laserbeak will be a great addition to the MP-13!

Sincerely,

Joel Boblit

So, that kind of sucks that they raised the price $20 but It's still 20% under Japanese retail and shipping from BBTS will still be around $10.

So what exactly is the problem with the engineering on MP-12? I've seen this said before but I don't really understand what people are taking issue with.

I'm guessing some people may have wanted more complexity - although we can't tell exactly how many twists and turns are in the transformation at this point. that's not where I'm at though. I think it's an amazing looking rendition of Sideswipe so far and I'll actually be quite pleased if the transformation is simple. A lot of modern TFs have been over-engineered for my tastes.

47 USD? So Laserbeak is worth the price of a Max Factory figma toy (the ones with less accessories, at least--that's the price my local store sell them at, at least)? Somehow, I doubt Laserbeak is quite as large or has as many accessories as the average figma.

This better be one hell of a plastic robo-bird.

Then again, it might not have so much to do with Laserbeak as much as the Japanese yen's recent currency spike. The recent stuff my local hobby store brought in had their prices revised due to the yen's sudden value increase.

Will buy because Soundwave is easily in my top 3. Despite loving and owning Transformers since I was old enough to know how to play with them, I've never had a Soundwave. This MP is almost as much of a no brainer for me as Optimus was.

That is indeed a BIG insignia. Hmmn. I am honestly *slightly* disappointed in the paint scheme---while it does follow the original G1 toy, the toy itself had a simplified paint scheme as it'd be too costly to emulate the exact scheme of the Countach it was based off of. This is neither a typical real Countach scheme, nor the scheme that the original G1 toy attempted to copy. (the G1 toy is based off of one particular Countach that had a unique paint scheme, the front fenders are the main giveaway)

Until recently rewatching G1 on netflix I would've been upset that Sideswipe is so small in bot mode compared to Prime but apparently everyone save Grimlock and a small few were small bots compared to him. Never noticed that as a kid. I am loving this fig so far and wondering if they will add the Jetpack gimmick as Takara has no problem usually adding a one off gimmick featured in an episode of two. Maybe they are just wondering how to fit it on Prime in scale as well as staying with 'Swipe's scale.

It's true, and I can remember part of why I loved Prime when I was really little is simply because he was the biggest in the episodes I'd seen.

I'm really excited at the stuff they are churning out for this updated MP line.

So i predict at that size: the inevitable US retail exclusive release will be around $29.99 with no chrome parts.

If it hits TRU, then you have a chance of finding it, If it's a walmart exclusive then good luck with that hunt.... i've found walmart exclusives in clearance before they even hit the figure aisle... <_<

But yeah, $80+ for a deluxe sized figure is all OUCH... anyone that can hold off for the 2014 U.S. release will be happy.

Edited by GMANIFESS

I've seen Rodimus & Grimlock in TRU. Both of those were easy to find & almost plentiful in my area. But with local TRU's closing this year will be tricky.

MP Starscream & Skywarp i only saw once at Walmart at different times. And there was one of each & i found them because they were not in the correct section both times, different stores.

So i predict at that size: the inevitable US retail exclusive release will be around $29.99 with no chrome parts.

Does the Takara release have any chrome? Maybe the exhaust pipes, but everything looks to be just silver paint. Those are all good points IMHO. It's a Countach, not a '55 Lincoln--there shouldn't be much chrome, if any.

True. I should have typed that the high quality silver Takara parts will be grey on the Hasbro release.... :p But it's only the feet & face, maybe the rims, so it shouldn't be a problem.

But the way the TRU Prime is looking & with whatever exclusive price Sideswipe ends up being, maybe we will atleast get some silver from Hasbro.

I wonder if the Autobot shield will be a decal or painted on?

Well, HLJ just put up their pre-order, and I did so. You've got 6 days to decide and still get the 20% off. http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT45997

And yes, any US release would likely have grey wheels, I'd forgotten about the rims---US MP Hot Rod had grey rims, I'd really like chrome on mine...

BBTS handled the Soundwave price hike pretty well I think. At current exchange rates, Soundwave would be 198.99 USD (15800 JPY). As one of the people who pre-ordered prior to the price change, BBTS has the price at 160.

That's a pretty nice drop especially when you include shipping costs.

Agreed. I met Joel & that BBTS crew at a Botcon years ago. They are a bunch of good dudes & their customer service is top notch. So i support them when i can.

Infact, i bet BBTS will drop the price on Sideswipe before it hits. If it's retailing in Japan for around $60 then i suspect a little price drop from $83.99.

Edited by GMANIFESS