1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Well it was the right color in the lying intro movie

i was promised giant beetles and dragonflies

and all i got was one giant fly that shoots smaller flies

i knew then never to trust my own judgment

that the nightmare of my own life had just begun

Wow, I did not know that EXO, thanks for info! How much is sales tax in Japan, and if you go through services such as Tokyo Hunter, do you have to pay the taxes as well?

I've never had issues with customs in the past (as in additional charges)..... *knock on wood*

Sale tax in japan is 5%

The history of aviation has shown that "more power" can beat "fancy aerodynamics" most every time, and solves many problems. (the link between engine power and a wing's ability to produce lift is often overlooked-----wings are not perpetual motion machines, they cannot "create" the force of lift out of the void---they are more like converters, the original source is the engine---this is why when a two-engine plane loses an engine, it may lose 90% of its climb ability---the wings are just as good as they were, but there is now almost no excess power beyond what is needed for maintaining level flight--there's nothing to spare to dedicate to increasing altitude)

Aircraft don’t just get lift from their wings in most cases a percentage of lift comes from the fuselage.

Super King Air 200:

Wings: 80%

Horizontal tail: -.2%

Nacelles: 9.5%

Vertical tail: .3%

Fuselage: 10%

747:

Wings: 89.5%

Fuselage: 13.1%

Horizontal Tail: -3.7%

Vertical Tail: .1%

Nacelles and Pylons: 1%

P-51D:

Wings: 92.9%

Fuselage: 7.7%

Horizontal Tail: -.7%

Vertical Tail: .1%

Spitfire IX:

Wings: 97.6%

Fuselage: 11.9%

Horizontal Tail: -9.5%

Vertical Tail: 0%

Fw 190A-8:

Wings: 96.1%

Fuselage: 7.2%

Horizontal Tail: -4.6%

Vertical Tail: 1.3%

I was going to make a follow-up comment to Graham's about body lift but didn't. I'd assume the VF-4 actually gets more lift from between the nacelles than outboard of them. Like an SR-71 does. :)

I'd love to see some numbers for fighters, especially say F-14, F-15, and F-16, to compare different configurations.

I was going to make a follow-up comment to Graham's about body lift but didn't. I'd assume the VF-4 actually gets more lift from between the nacelles than outboard of them. Like an SR-71 does. :)

I'd love to see some numbers for fighters, especially say F-14, F-15, and F-16, to compare different configurations.

The area between the engine nacelles is said to provide about 40% of the F-14's aerodynamic lifting surface

Don't worry, Yamato anounced that more news on the VF-4 will be released in Feb. So it may not be out for preorder before Feb (or even later), and ship in the second season. Still some time to save up after the VF-25S (which is supposed to be shipped late Jan.)

Haha, you think it's gonna be that early. Try near the end of the year! Plenty of time to save money.

Graham

Hmmn. The G-variant is by far the best-known of the VF-4's, but the best-known scheme is Hikaru's of course---but presumably he wouldn't have been flying the G-variant. Or perhaps the G-variant is externally identical to the VF-4A, etc. (the "finned" head could be like the VF-27β, where there's two different head options for the same variant)

Hmmn. The G-variant is by far the best-known of the VF-4's, but the best-known scheme is Hikaru's of course---but presumably he wouldn't have been flying the G-variant. Or perhaps the G-variant is externally identical to the VF-4A, etc. (the "finned" head could be like the VF-27β, where there's two different head options for the same variant)

So Hikaru's VF-4 doesn't have a letter for variant description? (like A, S, J etc.) And G is for VF-4's from VF-X and M3 games? Am I right?

Then when exactly we first saw a fin type head?

David, I take it you have seen images and heard the story of the Israeli F-15 that lost an entire wing in a mid air and was still able to return to base an land.

Chris

David, I take it you have seen images and heard the story of the Israeli F-15 that lost an entire wing in a mid air and was still able to return to base an land.

Chris

Holy crap, I had never heard of that!

Here's the wikipedia blurb about the incident...

On 1 May 1983, during an Israeli Air Force training dogfight, an F-15D collided with a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. Unknown to pilot Zivi Nedivi and his copilot, the right wing of the Eagle was sheared off roughly two feet (60 cm) from the fuselage. The A-4 disintegrated and its pilot ejected and landed safely, while the F-15 entered a spin after the collision. Zivi decided to attempt recovery and engaged afterburner to increase speed, allowing him to regain control of the aircraft. The pilot was able to prevent stalling and maintain control because of the lift generated by the large horizontal surface area of the fuselage, the stabilators, and remaining wing areas. The F-15 landed at twice the normal speed to maintain the necessary lift, and its tailhook was torn off during the landing. Zivi managed to bring his F-15 to a complete stop approximately 20 ft (6 m) from the end of the runway. He was later quoted as saying "(I) probably would have ejected if I knew what had happened." The fuel leak and vapors along the wing had prevented him from seeing what had happened to the wing itself.

Link to pics...

http://tailslide.firelightsoftware.com/f15wing.asp

OK, back to fantasy aircraft talk!

Resume topic...

Yeah, it was pretty incredible. Here is a link to video's of the story. When I first saw it, I was thinking...."ok, they are exaggerating the damage and that the aircraft probably lost just a bit of the wing tip or something...". Then they show pictures of the actual aircraft and it's damage......seriously, no wing!

http://www.google.com/search?q=israeli+f-15+one+wing+landing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Honestly, I Think the finned head is just something Made up entirely by SHE for their model kit. The sketch on the front of the kit instructions is litterally the only piece of art I've ever seen depicting that head and I've never seen it used anywhere but in relation to that kit.

Honestly, I Think the finned head is just something Made up entirely by SHE for their model kit. The sketch on the front of the kit instructions is litterally the only piece of art I've ever seen depicting that head and I've never seen it used anywhere but in relation to that kit.

It's odd that BigWest would approve of such an obvious deviation, though.

It was penned by Kawamori-san himself. My guess is that it was something that he made (possibly on contract w/ SHE) and subsequently forgot about it.

The fin (very YF-21) and the bulked out jaw line of the SHE kit really make the VF-4 look mean and tough. I really dig it. If the new yammie comes out with this head sculpt, it'll be an insta-buy. Fin-less and sunglasses look a bit lame.

I really wish that Yamato would include both visor type and fin type heads! In exchange of annoyance created by being a web exclusive! :D

Edited by charger69

It was penned by Kawamori-san himself. My guess is that it was something that he made (possibly on contract w/ SHE) and subsequently forgot about it.

I'm no expert, but if SHE could afford to pay the BW license fees AND hire Kawamori to draw a new head, they wouldn't have been releasing resin kits and would have mass-produced some full-on toys. As I understand it, Studio Half-Eye is really only one guy... Maybe two. I doubt Kawamori had any contract with SHE, it just seems really unlikely.... but who knows.

That's a rather specious argument my dear Renato. Considering that this is before the rise of small toy manufacturers such as Yamato and that SHE rose to prominence in the heyday of Garage Kits, I don't think they would have dropped everything to start making toys.

The picture it comes from: box_manual1.jpg

The text: "河森正治氏による新規描き下ろし設定

指揮官機仕様頭部"

The translation: "Newly drawn configuration by Mr. Kawamori Shouji

Commander craft specification head"

so there you go everyone. If Yamato is really cool, they'll provide options for both a general specification and command specification heads.

指揮官機仕様頭部"

so there you go everyone. If Yamato is really cool, they'll provide options for both a general specification and command specification heads.

YES!! This is what I was talking about :)

Looks so nice! Isn't it? :D

vf4ghead.png

Edited by charger69

指揮官機仕様頭部"

Holy crap, you're right. Wow... Kawamori drew a new head just for them. Mind BLOWN. Again.

That's a rather specious argument my dear Renato. Considering that this is before the rise of small toy manufacturers such as Yamato and that SHE rose to prominence in the heyday of Garage Kits, I don't think they would have dropped everything to start making toys.

Right, I actually meant that as a really unlikely scenario.... Maybe it wasn't so expensive to hire the Hory Froating Head after all. :wacko: