INCEPTION - July 2010

He did the same with The Prestige using Caine and Bale. I am excited for this one, it looks great and the Nolan brothers always seem to know how to tell a great story. I wonder what is really going on in this film.

Easily one of the most anticipated films this year. Very much looking forward to this one. I like the concept, the casting, the director, the writer and the look.

To me, the word "inception" has a (not surprising) Blade Runner flavor. Replicant "Incept Dates" and what not. Both films being sci-fi and both dealing with very existential themes, the commonality hit me right away :)

I find that even when Nolan does a film that is flawed (ie. The Prestige), it is still incredibly watchable. One of the signs of a good filmmaker.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

• 1 month later...

Just watched it. Pretty enjoyable except:

1.) predictable ending

the "it was all a dream after all that" ending, as hinted by the perpetually spinning top. Either that or he just stayed in dream world unable to deal with not really meeting his kids.

2.) the "action movie syndrome" kicks in towards the end of the film which felt sort of forced. I understood they were in the dream world but really, gun fights , car chases?

3.) Ken Watanabe and the other characters get little lines and character development. Not much attachnment to them.

Otherwise love everything else about the movie. Can't really say much without spoiling so, enjoy it. :)

I'll try to see this next week. Hopefully my eye will be better by then.

I guess you'll be waiting for Micheal Bay's SPLOSIONS!!1!!1 then.

I wouldn't condescend about people's hypothetical interest in Bay if I were you ;)

You most likely enjoy Christopher Nolan's work because he is a genuienly good film maker who usually makes intelligent films with weight and depth to them, even when it comes to a mainstream project such as his Batman movies.

Well, according to his regular cinematographer Wally Pfister, Nolan loves Michael Bay movies:

But there are the movies out there that he loves and I hate. I'm not a big Michael Bay fan. Chris loves Michael Bay's movies. And so I'm always like come on, dude! But he sees something in it, and I don't see it.

I'm not saying that ergo you should now enjoy Michael Bay's work, or that Bay's work is now in a better light because a superior film maker is a fan of them. But if Chris Nolan - the internet's poster boy example of a good, intelligent film maker - can seemingly enjoy Michael Bay's brand of popcorn fluff, then so can anybody else, and these people are not any stupider or somehow lacking in taste for it, in my opinion.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

and these people are not any stupider or somehow lacking in taste for it, in my opinion.

I'll say it then, anyone who thought either transformers movie was enjoyable is lacking in taste.

Same goes for the second Batman movie, I spent the whole thing thinking "how can someone who hates to plan things get THAT many explosives into the hospital?, or the Boat, or the warehouse?". The idea the movie was considered oscar worthy made me sick.

As for Batman begins, I thought it was nothing special.

(So I guess my opinion of Nolan isn't all that high)

I'll say it then, anyone who thought either transformers movie was enjoyable is lacking in taste.

Same goes for the second Batman movie, I spent the whole thing thinking "how can someone who hates to plan things get THAT many explosives into the hospital?, or the Boat, or the warehouse?". The idea the movie was considered oscar worthy made me sick.

As for Batman begins, I thought it was nothing special.

(So I guess my opinion of Nolan isn't all that high)

I guess I lack taste because I enjoyed both TF films and TDK. I also really enjoyed Inception.

"Inception" is that rare kind of film in which posting hyperbole-stuffed enthusiastic praise carries with it no guilt. Single-handedly saved summer movies...the one film that doesn't need 3D to sell the audience a heightened experience...a master filmmaker at the top of his game...a triumph that transcends the cliche of that label. I'd call "Inception" a religious experience if it weren't so damned good :)

"Inception" has a compelling story that demands your attention. A powerful cast so well utilized that not a single actor or line is wasted. An amazing score that one will not soon forget. Sublime camera work that never calls attention to itself and only draws you further in. Fantastic special effects that mesh with the film rather noticing where the money was spent. Masterful use of unique set design/locations to visually guide a complex narrative. Action packed, funny, dramatic and totally fulfilling. This is the first post-Matrix film to finally realize the FULL visual potential of that promise.

I wanted to watch "Inception" a second time before it was over. Even if you don't like the film, "Inception" is the best of the money you'll spend poorly ;) 5 out of 5.

Edited by Mr March

I will add my two cents. As a filmmaker, or a budding one I went into the film knowing one of my favortie directors would blow my mind. I left with a few of my classmates wanting to quit filmmaking for there will be nothing i can do, write, edit, or direct that will ever amount to the smallest percent of what Inception is. Emotionally there are no words other than I have to watch again NOW!!!!

Saw it again... really have to see it in IMAX now...

So glad it wasn't in 3D. I know 3D is suppose to immerse you but sometimes you remove yourself from the movie because you're too busy thinking about the 3D effect. The shot with the blood floating was so cool... no need for it to be in 3D.

The only problem I had with the movie:

With everybody wearing white in the third dream, I couldn't tell anybody apart during the action sequences except during close-ups

:D

But there's a reason

they are trying to infiltrate that section of the dream and the best way is to not stand out, so you have to look like someone else. His subconcious turned on them, but in the end if that hadn't happened it wouldve allowed them to get in seamlessly and do the job with no complications.

Edited by kanedaestes

But there's a reason

they are trying to infiltrate that section of the dream and the best way is to not stand out, so you have to look like someone else. His subconcious turned on them, but in the end if that hadn't happened it wouldve allowed them to get in seamlessly and do the job with no complications.

I want to say that Eames was my favorite character but honestly they were all so cool and the star of their own dream... if you think about it, each of them had a genre that they were playing... Yusuf was the heist driver, Arthur was the matrix/mission impossible action hero type and Eames was James Bond.

But yeah... Eames was a smart and deceptive motherfrakker. He put everyone in the snow because he knew he had to hold the projections back so he put them in an arena that made it difficult.

I love the way that everytime they got a step away from reality, the more fantastic the setting was. First was the gritty realistic streets, then it was the fancy hotel where everyone was a smooth operator type and then finally it was metal gear solid. At the same time it was a reflection of their personalities. Then there was Dom's screwed up psyche... way out in the outer reaches of imagination.