HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

I just got into another "discussion" with Kevin McKeever about how I think he's a liar regarding anything Robotech related. I always have to come here after posting at the Robotech site to remind myself why they annoy me so much over there.

I think I know how this is going to end...

This is my first real post here but I've been reading for years. I just got into another "discussion" with Kevin McKeever about how I think he's a liar regarding anything Robotech related. I always have to come here after posting at the Robotech site to remind myself why they annoy me so much over there.

Welcome to the real face of Robotech and it's fandom, I guess. Either drink the Kool-Aid liberally or it's not going to be fun for you.

I just got into another "discussion" with Kevin McKeever about how I think he's a liar regarding anything Robotech related. I always have to come here after posting at the Robotech site to remind myself why they annoy me so much over there.

I don't know your fan level for Robotech, but it seems best to just let the blind lead the blind. Just by arguing with them, they've already put up a defense, and have labled you a Macross Purists. They don't like logic, and it's evident in how they let the mods talk. Best to simply keep suppressing the fans, let them choke themselves off, and let the pieces fall where they may. With the number of licensees they have falling by the wayside, the product is becoming more out of sight, out of mind than anything. What has been suggested to me by someone who may know, is that this is HG's last ditch effort to sell off the franchise. It makes sense on why they'd do what WB says, and why they portray the franchise as being much more productive than it really is. With the economy the way it is, and Frank's continued trouble in Italy, I'm sure a lot of money is tied up in legal, and I'm sure with his age, he's ready to start tying loose ends. Just a theory, nobody knows. But, I'm sure there's some validity to it. I wouldn't necessarily ask a Robotech elitists this, or Kevin McKeever, cause they can't say, nor won't speculate on a touchy subject, but rightly so.

This is my first real post here but I've been reading for years. I just got into another "discussion" with Kevin McKeever about how I think he's a liar regarding anything Robotech related. I always have to come here after posting at the Robotech site to remind myself why they annoy me so much over there.

I think I know how this is going to end...

kenshiromckeever.jpg

What has been suggested to me by someone who may know, is that this is HG's last ditch effort to sell off the franchise. It makes sense on why they'd do what WB says, and why they portray the franchise as being much more productive than it really is. With the economy the way it is, and Frank's continued trouble in Italy, I'm sure a lot of money is tied up in legal, and I'm sure with his age, he's ready to start tying loose ends. Just a theory, nobody knows. But, I'm sure there's some validity to it. I wouldn't necessarily ask a Robotech elitists this, or Kevin McKeever, cause they can't say, nor won't speculate on a touchy subject, but rightly so.

So they're going through what has been happening to Dunder Mifflin in The Office recently, like insolvency?

Another thread is saved thanks to Captain Capslock and Pizzaboy!

I guess they're not used to two people living in the same house. You know, some people do live with others, and, dare I say it, have accounts in the same forums. They must really not know too much there. If there was any intelligence in the thinking there, they would've realized that they are different people. I wouldn't put too much into that though. It's just an excuse to get rid of anyone with a brain.

I wouldn't put too much into that though. It's just an excuse to get rid of anyone with a brain.

It's very costly the more sincere the fan banned is about the franchise. They're potentially costing the company they excessively love money, like $20-$500 annually per ban.

It's very costly the more sincere the fan banned is about the franchise. They're potentially costing the company they excessively love money, like $20-$500 annually per ban.

Quite frankly, I think any Robotech actually SEEN by Blackrose was probably provided to her by Seto. She is, after all, the one who called Robotech "Baby's first Macross." Which is a brilliant name, by the way. ^_^

If we're speaking in generalities, though, you might be right. Although I don't know if many people will renounce the franchise entirely just because they get banned from the website... :unsure:

Yeah, I got banned from RT.com and in hindsight I wished it had happened years ago. Talk about a waste of time. Does that mean I swore off Robotech merchandise though? No, I still buy stuff. Would I buy anything from RT.com? No... but that was like one item every other year at the most so they cost themselves like $2.50 by banning me.

Thanks for the support guys. I actually haven't been banned yet. Instead, Pizza just called me anti-Robotech though I love Robotech and Macross (Macross more of course) and Kevin called me ignorant. I guess I inadvertently called Kevin/HG liars and apologized explaining my thinking was based on the whole "hiatus" issue which Kevin blasted me for mentioning last summer. Still, I kind of like stirring trouble over there as Kevin and Pizza (I actually don't have a problem with Memo other than his use of all caps) keep thinking that only me and Whitehall have no faith in HG but when we write things there's usually a couple other people that jump on the "where's SR?" bandwagon.

Ask Kevin why Tommy Yune said that HG wasn't going forward with SR until WB did something with the Robotech name at Comic-con and how that is different from a "hiatus." That's what got me banned... and I'm pretty sure I was simply banned because Kevin was sent off to New Orleans during Comic-con and didn't get to hear Tommy come clean. Since Kevin got in so much trouble for saying "hiatus" he can't believe that Tommy goes around saying "yeah, we're not going to move Shadow Rising until WB puts us in a better position" because it's so unfair that Tommy gets to be honest with the fans while Kevin has to be constantly lying.

Edited by jenius

If we're speaking in generalities, though, you might be right. Although I don't know if many people will renounce the franchise entirely just because they get banned from the website... :unsure:

I don't know, on one hand this IS the Internet we're talking about, on the other it can be a serious wake up call. It sure happens on a regular basis these days following very similar patterns most of the time.

Hmm, let them keep doing the fine job they're really enthusiastic about, not even HG is stopping them anymore.

Edited by Einherjar

I don't know, on one hand this IS the Internet we're talking about, on the other it can be a serious wake up call. It sure happens on a regular basis these days following very similar patterns most of the time.

But again...that's the website, that's not the work itself. A lot of the musicians and writers (and directors, and actors) are absolute jerks, people who I'd never want to sit down and have dinner with. And yet, I like their work.

So Memo bans someone. So what? Memo is not Robotech. People can put aside their experience with the website and still enjoy their Shadow Chronicles DVD. There's something to be said for looking at a story as a story, and not bothering to get involved in the behind-the-scenes mayhem that often goes on.

So many people want to be "insiders," and know all the goings on with the creative people (and the people who work for the creative people), but there's something to be gained from the outside view, as well. Knowing that Walt Disney was a total bastard does nothing to enhance my viewing experience while watching Pinocchio or Fantasia; likewise, knowing that RT.com takes a dim view of questioning does nothing for someone who just wants to enjoy Robotech.

Frank Black was kind of an ass to me once, but I still love his music. The two things are completely separate in my eyes.

So yeah...it's a wake up call about how the website is being run; it should have nothing to do with how the show is perceived by the viewer (although, that said, it certainly gives us a lot to chortle about...).

Well, I take it back. Memo has now rubbed me the wrong way too. He asked for proof about the "hiatus" issue and I gave it to him. And then he asked who I thought I was to warrant getting updates about Shadow Rising so I pointed out that I'm the dedicated fan from day 1 and that's why I and other fans deserve some updates periodically. This just makes me regret buying all those Masterpieces and Super-Poseables cause that money could have been spent buying even more Yamatos than I already have.

Well, I take it back. Memo has now rubbed me the wrong way too. He asked for proof about the "hiatus" issue and I gave it to him. And then he asked who I thought I was to warrant getting updates about Shadow Rising so I pointed out that I'm the dedicated fan from day 1 and that's why I and other fans deserve some updates periodically. This just makes me regret buying all those Masterpieces and Super-Poseables cause that money could have been spent buying even more Yamatos than I already have.

Well, Memo said he "SCRATCHED YOU OFF THE BAD BOY LIST." Doesn't that make you feel special? ;)

GoofusGallant_Oct1980.jpg

You know what I find it funny that HG can't say anything concreate with their production plans. Where as the Mouse Corporate Empire was definite in not making anymore Power Rangers in favor of milking the first season as an edited version.

It makes you wonder if HG really has something planned for the 25th Anniversary other than convention tour appearances. I mean what's the use of hyping Robotech in cons if they can't deliver the goods. This year is an important milestone for Robotech and fans expect something big to happen. But HG will probably try and ruin this celebration. :(

I think I might be able to.

Fandom type 1: Continue to follow every word and utterance that comes out of HG, and praise it as if it were the Holy Word of the Almighty itself. No matter what logic is applied to these statements, the Type-1 fan will continue to follow blindly, blissfully, and completely unaware of just how badly RT has been and always will be handled.

Fandom type 2: A constant trickle of disgurntled fans that see the unbridled truth of things, such as HG's complete buffoonery, the habits of Type-1 fans (See above), and the continued efforts of fansite moderators to silence the 'heretics' of the RT fandom

Fandom type 3: Complete abandonment of RT as a whole, and the embrace of other anime, such as Gundam, Macross, and the like.

Fandom type 4: (Fan-Art/Fic Producers): A combination of Type-3 and -4, but who still carry the show in some fond, nostalgic light, and who, for thier own reasons, continue with thier endeavors. (Disclaimer: I'm part of this group.)

There may be others, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

I consider myself as the Fandom Type 4. I'd always continue remembering & watching Robotech on nostalgic basis as per my fondness to the series. I might even throw in a couple of fanfics along the way.

But I'd always be the 1st & foremost, Macross & Mospeada fan because that what galvanised me to search high & low while appreciating classics like Orguss, Gallforce & Megazone. Heck, thanks to Macross that sped up my appreciation of mecha-genre anime, I found Patlabor along the way & even UC era Gundam series.

Thankfully, I lived in Asia where all things Macross is readily available as legal & bootleg version, while RT DVDs are scarce to find nowadays apart some bootlegs from China (yeah, I rue the day when I had actually imported high-priced ORIGINAL RT DVD Asian release from Australia, & chagrined to know years later that a dirt-cheap bootleg version of REMASTERED RT DVD version available from a street peddlers ... bloody hell!). Macross prints outnumbered Robotech novels in certain stores, & Macross models & toys practically littered the model shops.

I mean, RT is darn scarce but Macross is practically everywhere with new freaking series, products, movies coming out. Being rational, logical, emotional, fanatical mecha enthusiast, it is perfectly normal for me to go the Macross route. The journey is full of bumpy ride, potholes, but hey, as many over zealous zombies of Basara would say, our Macross experience is totally ....

BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

No, I haven't seen Prelude. I can easily believe it's awful, however.

See for yourself. Get the trade this year. ^_^

...it's so unfair that Tommy gets to be honest with the fans while Kevin has to be constantly lying.

I LOL'ed.

This just makes me regret buying all those Masterpieces and Super-Poseables cause that money could have been spent buying even more Yamatos than I already have.

Why does everyone learn this AFTER they get banned? A crying shame if you ask me.

Who got turned off of Robotech because they got banned from that website?

Well, I for one.

Ofcourse, in my time, I've been banned by almost every Mod and Admin now; but it all started with Darth Steve Yun. I trashed the few DVD's i had, and began diverting people i knew away from Robotech and the RT.com so as to shield them from MASSIVE disappointment. Not everyone listens, mind you, but they learn the hard way that HG/Robotech doesn't care past America, and could care less about other countries. So why buy their crappy plastic?

Besides,

I find comfort in knowing that I can't be disappointed in nothing from Robotech, because i dont expect anything from a worn-out, lifeless title...that never really gave anything to fans outside America.

But hey, why should i settle for "Baby's first Macross", when i can GET Macross?

...Kinda seems like an American thing to do...y'know, to "Dumb-down" :lol:

((Yes, i know...I shouldn't group all of you into the "White-Supremecy, Anti-Homosexual, Pro-American, American/Canadian Sci-Fi" bandwagon...But I do, because in my experiance...it saves time. I'd rather believe one a fool, then for them to open their mouth and remove all doubt!))

Oh yeah, it looks like "Captain Capslock" (very clever, by the way :lol:) and "Pizzaboy" think that Mike (Seto) was the only one capable of forming an intelligent opinion and clearly articulating it, so anyone who can spot the use of bullshit and wild mass guessing being used as a substitute for hard facts and deductive reasoning must, by their logic, be Seto in disguise. Nobody else would dare to criticize the obvious plot holes and misinformation that pass for knowledge among Robotech fans.

I guess they're not used to two people living in the same house. You know, some people do live with others, and, dare I say it, have accounts in the same forums. They must really not know too much there. If there was any intelligence in the thinking there, they would've realized that they are different people. I wouldn't put too much into that though. It's just an excuse to get rid of anyone with a brain.

If my ban is anything to go by, they're not used to two people who access the site living in the same region outside of California. Odd, but they never seemed to mind my having an account there when Mike and I were living together, but now that I've moved out of his place (and out of the city altogether) when I access the site I'm suddenly accused of being a clone account? I wonder if they'll boot XakeTheDark for being a clone account too since he lives close to us.

Quite frankly, I think any Robotech actually SEEN by Blackrose was probably provided to her by Seto. She is, after all, the one who called Robotech "Baby's first Macross." Which is a brilliant name, by the way. ^_^

Thank you. You're entirely correct, I was introduced to Macross first when I saw Macross II and Macross Plus when I was living in Nagano. Mike introduced me to Robotech in college as an example of how anime had been bastardized and what was keeping Macross out of the US. I remember thinking it was a little like Macross with all the subtlety boiled out and dialog that sounded as though it'd been sent to the US by having a drunk skim it and then read it aloud from memory over a staticky overseas cell phone connection, with ear bleedingly bad music included in the bargain.

It really reinforced my initial impression that American anime fans were completely insane. An impression that seeing the cosplayers at American conventions did nothing to diminish. (where's a vomiting smiley when you need one?)

I was wondering if spreading news about that was really a good idea. It's gotten almost everywhere now. That's the kind of thing a certain company would go up in legal arms for. But I'd let them integrate it, it's never going to be official and they've been given nothing new for years anyway.

Ahhh, the RT RPGers at Palladium Board. I made several fanfics fleshing out RT-verse for 'em over there. As compared to any general RT fandom at RT.com or RTX, the RPGers atleast are level headed & not blinded by RT fanaticism.

Most of them are likely have not watch RT as an animation but stumbled onto the game through their passion of RPG gaming. Lest I remind you guys, the BEST MACROSS reference site back in 1990s covering even MACROSS 7 would be Dave Dietrich's RPG based Steelfalcon sites like Macross Mecha Designs. Damn, this guy iwebsite introduced me to Macross 7! His site was the gospel to many Macrossies in mid to late 1990s.

STEELFALCON.COM

These RPGers don't give a hoot of going ons on RT.com, just enjoying the game as it is without having to get somebody to drum canonicity into their heads. So let them incorporated Mospeada & SC designs into their gaming, its their choice rather than browbeat other Macross designs.

Yeah, I myself from time to time do egged them on to incorporate mecha from Macross Zero & well, integrating Macross II (Palladium did published Mac II RPG) into their RPG gaming, but that efforts turned out to be a surprise that some of them actually checked out Mac 0 & ended up appreciating Macross franchise.

Well, RT RPGers remained only a tiny fraction of RT fans in the fringes of fandom. So far, I clicked with 'em better given they appreciate my fanwork which are mostly done to enrich their RT-verse for gaming purposes.

Oh yeah, it looks like "Captain Capslock" (very clever, by the way laugh.gif) and "Pizzaboy" think that Mike (Seto) was the only one capable of forming an intelligent opinion and clearly articulating it, so anyone who can spot the use of bullshit and wild mass guessing being used as a substitute for hard facts and deductive reasoning must, by their logic, be Seto in disguise. Nobody else would dare to criticize the obvious plot holes and misinformation that pass for knowledge among Robotech fans.

Ahhh, being getting the RT.com banhammer, dontcha .... I do wonder when you're going to be banned after Seto, but hey, I have long ditched RT.com after Seto got the ban, settled @ RTX but get bored pretty fast, lurking in MW is far better option.

Now, to play devil's advocate, why don't you enlisted to RTX & become the next voice of reason there? Let's see how long you can survive in MEMO's fiefdom ....

I know, it had me chuckling a fair bit when she first came up with it. You're spot on, I was the one who first showed her Robotech, since she had asked what the hell this Robotech business I was involved in was, and why Macross's VF-1 was prominently displayed on their website. I'd love to reiterate what she said initially about RT Minmei's singing, but since it's almost entirely profanity the wordfilter here will have a field day with it.

You'd be surprised. It usually doesn't happen all at once, it's a gradual thing. People like Viper who get banned or whose friends get banned one after another slowly start to lose interest in Robotech and drift off into other interests.

Since Kevin got in so much trouble for saying "hiatus" he can't believe that Tommy goes around saying "yeah, we're not going to move Shadow Rising until WB puts us in a better position" because it's so unfair that Tommy gets to be honest with the fans while Kevin has to be constantly lying.

Can you really blame him for being a bit miffed about it? After all, he probably thought getting a job at Harmony Gold would mean he'd hit the bigtime as a troll pathological liar obnoxious pain in the ass arrogant little shitstain Robotech fan and everyone would respect and admire him. Instead, even most Robotech fans hate his guts and nobody trusts him because he's a low-level functionary responsible mainly for maintaining the layers of fraud, deceit, and chicanery that keep the Robotech franchise limping along.

Although I don't know if many people will renounce the franchise entirely just because they get banned from the website...

I agree with Seto, its a gradual thingies ... but most fans will outgrow RT franchise out of simple reasons ... maturity, life, burnout.

Or simply, they find Macross, the REAL DOPE!

I agree with Seto, its a gradual thingies ... but most fans will outgrow RT franchise out of simple reasons ... maturity, life, burnout.

Or simply, they find Macross, the REAL DOPE!

Well, yeah...

Especially if you watch the Fold Effect -circa Macross Plus onwards :lol:

Thanks for the support guys. I actually haven't been banned yet. Instead, Pizza just called me anti-Robotech though I love Robotech and Macross (Macross more of course) and Kevin called me ignorant. I guess I inadvertently called Kevin/HG liars and apologized explaining my thinking was based on the whole "hiatus" issue which Kevin blasted me for mentioning last summer. Still, I kind of like stirring trouble over there as Kevin and Pizza (I actually don't have a problem with Memo other than his use of all caps) keep thinking that only me and Whitehall have no faith in HG but when we write things there's usually a couple other people that jump on the "where's SR?" bandwagon.

Yoda voice: That is why you fail (on Robotech.com)

Ask Kevin why Tommy Yune said that HG wasn't going forward with SR until WB did something with the Robotech name at Comic-con and how that is different from a "hiatus." That's what got me banned... and I'm pretty sure I was simply banned because Kevin was sent off to New Orleans during Comic-con and didn't get to hear Tommy come clean. Since Kevin got in so much trouble for saying "hiatus" he can't believe that Tommy goes around saying "yeah, we're not going to move Shadow Rising until WB puts us in a better position" because it's so unfair that Tommy gets to be honest with the fans while Kevin has to be constantly lying.

Kevin and Tommy need to take this entire phenomena and write it up as a sitcom. It'll be bigger than Seinfeld. Seriously.

But again...that's the website, that's not the work itself. A lot of the musicians and writers (and directors, and actors) are absolute jerks, people who I'd never want to sit down and have dinner with. And yet, I like their work.

So Memo bans someone. So what? Memo is not Robotech. People can put aside their experience with the website and still enjoy their Shadow Chronicles DVD. There's something to be said for looking at a story as a story, and not bothering to get involved in the behind-the-scenes mayhem that often goes on.

So many people want to be "insiders," and know all the goings on with the creative people (and the people who work for the creative people), but there's something to be gained from the outside view, as well. Knowing that Walt Disney was a total bastard does nothing to enhance my viewing experience while watching Pinocchio or Fantasia; likewise, knowing that RT.com takes a dim view of questioning does nothing for someone who just wants to enjoy Robotech.

Frank Black was kind of an ass to me once, but I still love his music. The two things are completely separate in my eyes.

So yeah...it's a wake up call about how the website is being run; it should have nothing to do with how the show is perceived by the viewer (although, that said, it certainly gives us a lot to chortle about...).

I understand what you're saying, but I don't fully agree with it. I think the trend and tendency (did I just repeat myself?) are towards a world where direct interaction with the fans of various franchises is making the situation you describe remote. People are more and more in touch via the internet and any company that doesn't somehow foster interaction with its' fans/clients/customers is loosing out. Yes - it has its' bad sides - but it's just the way that the world is moving thanks to the internet.

So actually - it is tragic for Robotech that their website is run by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK and their biggest NUMBER ONE FAN can't spell.

Seriously - it DOES impact how people view the franchise and the DVDs and everything else.

Before I encountered Robotech.com I had a MUCH better view of Robotech. I read the novels with interest, I thought the RPGs were well thought out. I didn't much like what I saw of the show - at least not the bootlegged version - but I did think Sentinels had potential.

Now, after having incowntert the numbr won fan of Robotech ant GOTTEN TO KNOW THE WEBSTIE AND TEH LOGIC OF DEBATING ARGUMENTS COURT YOU MY IS WRONG...

what can I say? These experiences will color how I view Robotech media for a long loooooooong time.

I bought the Scott Bernard Alpha way back when and got the Masterpiece VF-1S Roy for free from BBTS as compensation for something they owed me.

I also got the Yamato VE-1 back then. Then...the last bit of Robotech I bought was the Shadow Alpha.

why?

Because I got Yamato's 1/48 VF-1S.

No going back after that.

I don't understand people who handle a Yamato and still buy Toynami. Why?

Abstracting from Robotech vs. Macross for a moment - the Yamato is clearly superior. I am a lover of fine built figures, toys etc - and seriously - I would happily buy Toynami if they made better stuff. But they don't.

I also have the 1/100s. Ick. Those were horrible. A big mistake because I thought - at that point "maybe this is going to be the cheaper route - and they'll still be great"...

They weren't.

Pete

kenshiromckeever.jpg
I'll drink to that.

I didn't bastardize it, I perfected it!
Yeah, perfect to be printed on facial qulity toilet tissue sheets. :p

I just renouced the new crap that comes out of Steve's ass; the classic stuff's still good.

Well, Memo said he "SCRATCHED YOU OFF THE BAD BOY LIST." Doesn't that make you feel special? ;)

GoofusGallant_Oct1980.jpg

Jesus, been a long time since I've seen something from Highlights. Rather good children's mag.

I agree with Seto, its a gradual thingies ... but most fans will outgrow RT franchise out of simple reasons ... maturity, life, burnout. Or simply, they find Macross, the REAL DOPE!

If anything, Viper is the perfect example of the disillusionment that prompts Robotech fans to gradually drift away from the franchise. He started out as a Robotech fan writing a Robotech fanfic, but the drama and stupidity of Harmony Gold's appointed representatives (Maverick, MEMO) and their little support groups of similarly brain-damaged idiots (PTH, Bendo, under their various aliases) and the banning of many friends of his from both RT.com and RTX has him about ready to swear off Robotech altogether and got him contemplating rewriting his fanfic in a pure Macross setting.

So actually - it is tragic for Robotech that their website is run by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK and their biggest NUMBER ONE FAN can't spell.

Seriously - it DOES impact how people view the franchise and the DVDs and everything else.

No doubt... the average active span for a user on Robotech.com used to be something like six months before the tedium and inherently repetitious nature of the message boards drove them away. Now, by all accounts, they're lucky if one lasts six days.

By handing the day-to-day operation of the franchise's official website over to an airline maintenance man who believes shooting a couple home movies with friends makes him a Hollywood insider and a delusional rent-a-cop who types all in caps because he hasn't figured out the shift key (our friends Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION respectively), and giving them carte blanche to ban anyone who they feel is being disruptive, they've seriously damaged their chances of a casual observer taking the franchise seriously. It really does undermine Robotech's standing in the eyes of onlookers when fans can't get answers for simple, straightforward questions on the official franchise website. That those same inept moderators will allow their toadies almost unlimited latitude and ban anyone who doesn't agree with their opinions doesn't exactly conform to the expectation that an official site should be a welcoming place for the fans.

I guess they feel that their reputation's already so abysmal that a little more damage will just be pissing into the ocean, since they've done nothing to stop the often illegal actions dougbendo has taken on their behalf, harassing and threatening Harmony Gold's more vocal critics on his show.

Now, after having incowntert the numbr won fan of Robotech ant GOTTEN TO KNOW THE WEBSTIE AND TEH LOGIC OF DEBATING ARGUMENTS COURT YOU MY IS WRONG...

what can I say? These experiences will color how I view Robotech media for a long loooooooong time.

In my various dealings with these "problem children" of the Robotech fandom, I've noticed a marked trend in the circumstances surrounding the individuals who exhibit these asinine and frequently detrimental behaviors. Assuming they're not lying, all four of the principal troublemakers have distinctly unsatisfying or unglamorous day jobs: Maverick is an aircraft maintenance engineer whose wife treats his anime hobby as something shameful to be concealed from their friends and neighbors, MEMO's some kind of security guard, Doug Bendo is a BestBuy sales floor associate, and Pizza the Hutt has (or had) an unspecified but (by his own admission) undignified service industry job (which I heard he may no longer have). Now I'm no clinical psychologist and I don't remember much from the psych courses I took during my undergrad, but it doesn't take a doctorate to see that their desire to be bigshots and respected authorities in the the fanbase are an attempt to offset their dissatisfaction with being at or near the bottom of the corporate ladder.

I disagree, especially with Shadow Chronicles being an incomplete product and robotech.com the center of the franchise online. If we were still in 2006/07, then yes, people may still find enjoyment in the Shadow Chronicles DVD and etc. But because all Robotech productions naturally end on cliffhangers, it's now been 3+ years since people got it, and HG regularly has a problem completing a product, more people should be pissed. HG owes them a Shadow Rising or continuation very soon because they set up their story that way on purpose. And after what we got recently from their "competitor" in MacF, another mostly completed product from the same people are usual, seriously.

Fans go to the site to celebrate it, but more importantly ask some serious questions about the state of the franchise as time and inactivity go on. Keep going with it and they generally get the cold shoulder until they're forced to drop the subject passive aggressively or flatly threatened to do so. Memo is definitely not Robotech, but when the professionals behind the company stand by a lot of the things he says and does to people on their site, that's as close to official as a fanboy can get. Think about it; they value his craziness over legitimate concerns every time on their corporately owned and professional site. That or he's another scapegoat for what could potentially happen in the future. It tells a lot of what kind of people HG wants to attract for their business.

Either way, fans are going to be forced into enjoying Shadow Chronicles again and again for the long haul, whether they like it or not. People better be happy with it, seriously. ^_^

Edited by Einherjar