Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I'd say "story".

While I love FFIX, it's so full of homages and was pretty much designed to be "nostalgic" that I think playing it without having played most of the others would be kinda pointless.

I'd suggest FFVI if you want to try an older one, the story/twists of that one still hold their own against modern day stuff. Or VII. VIII and XII were just "OK" IMHO. (I actually think I like VIII better than XII, even though I hate VIII's whole drawing/GF system)

Ok, thanks. I looked up Final Fantasy VI and found that it's part of Final Fantasy Anthology, but I'm leery of picking it up since the last time I tried to play a playstation game on my PS2 I couldn't save it (it was a copy of Breath of Fire I'd borrowed from a friend). Any rumors about FF IV, VI and other playstation era RPG's coming to PSN?

Ok, thanks. I looked up Final Fantasy VI and found that it's part of Final Fantasy Anthology, but I'm leery of picking it up since the last time I tried to play a playstation game on my PS2 I couldn't save it (it was a copy of Breath of Fire I'd borrowed from a friend). Any rumors about FF IV, VI and other playstation era RPG's coming to PSN?

That's because you needed the PS1 memory card to save. The PS3 creates a virtual memory card on your hard drive for your PS1 and PS2 type games.

There's always the GBA versions. Or, dare I say it, an SNES emulator and some ROMs.

If you're going to talk FF and what should be played/experienced then you have to be talking about 2/4 and 3/6 if you're not a graphics whore.

On this we agree. Final Fantasy IV was the pinnacle of the series. A memorable cast, party members that had unique abilities, villains who weren't part of an evil empire/corporation, hidden villains pulling the strings from behind the scenes, and a trip to the freaking moon. And while the story was large (at least for the time) and touched on a lot of themes (jealousy, revenge, betrayal, forgiveness, redemption, etc) it was extremely coherent, which is something I think later games in the series lack.

If nothing else---FFIV didn't waste your time. Just about every minute is "relevant".

About abilities---FFIV to me is the pinnacle of FF in that regards. Everyone is DIFFERENT. And you can't pick your party---you are forced to adapt to what abilities you do and don't have. (conversely, this also means nobody is ever "left out" of the party nor falls behind exp-wise). Made things interesting. You may have a very physical party in one section, and very magic-based in another.

Let's not forget III and IV were remade on the DS. I have to say they're a must-get if you have a DS.

I enjoyed III, and I'd probably have really liked IV if that was my first experience with it. As it stands, though, I think the SNES/GBA version(s) was/were better.

That's because you needed the PS1 memory card to save. The PS3 creates a virtual memory card on your hard drive for your PS1 and PS2 type games.

That makes sense, thanks.

Let's not forget III and IV were remade on the DS. I have to say they're a must-get if you have a DS.

I do have a DS; may have to pick that up, but it'll be after FF XIII and GOW (possibly Star Ocean: TLH too)

I really enjoyed Lunar, the dialogue and the story. It was just a fun game in general, plus it was relatively hard since for every level you went up the enemies went up as well so everything was always stronger than you.

The original Sega CD Lunar TSS remains my all time favorite RPG. Especially the music, which they happen to keep on changing in every remake.

Edited by Gaijin

I really enjoyed Lunar, the dialogue and the story. It was just a fun game in general, plus it was relatively hard since for every level you went up the enemies went up as well so everything was always stronger than you.
Working Design did a really great job on all their releases including Lunar. It may have been a very traditional RPG gameplay wise but Lunar had some less traditional elements that made it pretty different at the time. I actually really liked the the fact it had an epilogue, something not really any other game had before or has had since.

About abilities---FFIV to me is the pinnacle of FF in that regards. Everyone is DIFFERENT. And you can't pick your party---you are forced to adapt to what abilities you do and don't have. (conversely, this also means nobody is ever "left out" of the party nor falls behind exp-wise). Made things interesting. You may have a very physical party in one section, and very magic-based in another.
Personally I find it frustrating when a game chooses my party for me but I enjoy having distinct classes in my RPGs and to another extent for an FF title to have the class system.

FF9 is pretty to similar FF2/4 in the respect everyone is a class/has it's own unique abilities and even beyond that the PC is a thief instead of the usual warrior or warrior hybrid most of the other titles have.

Really even in 3/6 the characters have their own useful abilities even if the magic system is basically the same for everyone. It's still better than FF7 where everyone is the same with a new character model excluding the limit breaks which you don't need to use anyway.

Generally I prefer to play the titles on their console of origin but the remakes are great not only for some of the improvements but also because they've made the original carts more affordable since demand is down and they've also let people more easily experience these installments for the first time (legally).

I honestly have only played FF VII, VII, and X fully (that I can recall). I've played parts of XII and VI(III), and *shudder*X2. I liked X's music a lot and I liked VIII's story. Other than that, FF has never been the RPG series for me. I liked Phantasy Star, Lunar, and the Xeno games, plus Skies of Arcadia.

That said, XIII does look cool enough for me to pick up, and so far I love the music to I've heard. And I'm somewhat surprised to admit, I like Leona Lewis' theme better than the Japanese original theme music to the game.

Edited by Gaijin

I won't be surprised if Square-Enix decides to remake FF7 for the DS but I would love to have FF9 for the DS.

You know, after Crisis Core, I wouldn't mind a handheld remake, but I'd love a full PS3 version, somehow using the Advent Children Renders, that included a redone version of CC as well.

Now that XIII is almost out, has there been any news on Vs XIII? I'd almost be willing to bet it will be a far closer traditional action/rpg than XIII turned out. Plus, I realy want them to finish it so they can get started on Kingdom Hearts III. Hell, if Squenix is smart, they'll do an HD Final mix PS3 re-release, ala GoW collection.

I honestly have only played FF VII, VII, and X fully (that I can recall). I've played parts of XII and VI(III), and *shudder*X2.
I actually prefer X-2 over X for the dress sphere system. It's a lot like the class system and I've always liked that. Otherwise though they are about equally uninspiring IMO.

Can't help but remind everyone that Grandia is up for download on the playstation store.
Great game, only really annoying bit is that you have to use the various attacks to build them up. I'll be sticking with my disc version though.

I've played and completed I-X and XII, and based upon all I have read, I expect XIII to be my last Final Fantasy game. I don't have much interest in a sci-fi adventure game, and that's the direction they want to go.

Just for the record, I is my favorite (the original NES release), VII is probably my second favorite, and I think that III (original NES) is the underrated gem of the franchise.

edit: Oh, I forgot Tactics! Great game, maybe that's my second favorite.

Edited by Duke Togo

Anyone going to try FFXIV (Online II)?

I had wasted a lot of time on XI from 2005-2007, but got a somewhat pimped out character at the end. Maxed out Samurai, Ninja, and Ranger to 75. It was good while it lasted, but the grind & pray mechanics of XI just felt horribly out of date... though recently I heard they're planning to raise the cap to 99, which would be interesting.

I might just check out XIV.... on the fence about going back to XI.

I actually prefer X-2 over X for the dress sphere system. It's a lot like the class system and I've always liked that. Otherwise though they are about equally uninspiring IMO.

Combat in X-2 is actually not bad either, it's alot more fluid.

Anyone going to try FFXIV (Online II)?

Signed up for the beta, heard nothing back yet.

edit: Oh, I forgot Tactics! Great game, maybe that's my second favorite.

I was bummed out that Tactics wasn't represented at all in Dissidia. Though, when looking at the storyline for the game, adding something from it might not work well.

Edited by Einherjar

I really wish there was some sort of icon for Home that meant "I look nothing like my avatar". (I assume nothing---if someone's avatar is a tall black guy, in my mind they're just as likely to really be a short asian girl...) (I only go on Home a few times a year, just to see what's new---never much, but it can be fun for an hour or two--can't imagine what there is to do for all the people who go daily/weekly)

God of War III coming up. Who else is excited for it?

Me. I reserved my copy the other day.

I really wish there was some sort of icon for Home that meant "I look nothing like my avatar". (I assume nothing---if someone's avatar is a tall black guy, in my mind they're just as likely to really be a short asian girl...) (I only go on Home a few times a year, just to see what's new---never much, but it can be fun for an hour or two--can't imagine what there is to do for all the people who go daily/weekly)

Are dudes hitting on you? You could try what I do and just don't visit Home. It seemed pointless the first and only time I tried it, and I've heard nothing to convince me that that's changed.

Me. I reserved my copy the other day.

Are dudes hitting on you? You could try what I do and just don't visit Home. It seemed pointless the first and only time I tried it, and I've heard nothing to convince me that that's changed.

I'd like that option for all multiplayer games. I like to play female characters, because if I have to look at a butt for hours on end, it might as well be a girl's butt.

I made my secondary MGO character female just to mix it up a bit, and tried to give her a bit of a Yoko look (red ponytail, red bikini top, big sniper rifle). It's too bad they've yet to add "really short shorts" as a clothing option! :)

They need to give people more incentive to invest more on the communicating part of Home. I hate that anonymous crap, and the limited socializing from areas like the Club function. The Macross Fan Club I joined is always empty, and I only met the leader once online.

Is there a MW fanclub on Home? I'd hang out there and talk valks. We can put up pictures in our personal spaces...

Is there a MW fanclub on Home? I'd hang out there and talk valks. We can put up pictures in our personal spaces...

No, just something called the Macross Fan Club. Open up the Home main menu, go to the Club section and type by name Macross. I was surprised it exists, and even talked about here a while ago. But they don't do anything.

Played the first bit of Final Fantasy XIII up to the first save point. . .leaves me feeling rather indifferent; I'll probably be back to playing MW2 again tonight.

So, is there a Japanese audio track on there?

*crosses fingers*

Been a fan of Final Fantasy since VII came out so I'm looking forward to trying XIII out. Though I've been rather skeptical with the direction Square is taking this game and the single player games in the series. X was good. XII, I got about 20 hours into it and just stopped playing. I just couldn't get into the story. VI is still my all time favorite.

Edited by Shadow

Played the first bit of Final Fantasy XIII up to the first save point. . .leaves me feeling rather indifferent; I'll probably be back to playing MW2 again tonight.

So you played through for like 10 mins? ^_^