And how the fu*k anybody could ever come to the notion of trying to make a TROLL "sexy" in any form or fashion is just beyond me.

PC moral relativism? They're "just misunderstood and discriminated against" tripe?

But Hollywood has pretty much banked on this premise for seemingly a generation. Which begs the question: if people continue to buy/support crappy product--when the seller KNOWS it's crappy product--how do you ever motivate them to start offering something better?

So....I should not go see it if/when it gets made? I guess I don't understand what you're trying to say.

But Hollywood has pretty much banked on this premise for seemingly a generation. Which begs the question: if people continue to buy/support crappy product--when the seller KNOWS it's crappy product--how do you ever motivate them to start offering something better?

Stay on topic people...

This isn't the Robotech thread!

:p

re: Guillermo Del Toro

[/b] He's a great director for sure, but without a true love for the story and characters or even the genre it might have lacked something. It's too bad Jackson doesn't seem interested anymore. Unfortunately it's starting to seem like the time to make this film has passed. Of course that doesn't mean I don't want to see it made and wouldn't go see it. Regardless of who ends up directing it and when, if it does get made I'll be there on opening night.

It was just a bit puzzling to me, seemed a commitment to the franchise/movie, whether it turns out to be helmed by a director/producer/etc that you'd think would do a good job or not.

It's that commitment to a franchise/title that I think Hollywood banks on from the moviegoing masses. Ideally, we shouldn't allow them to count on us to be suckers; to readily spend our money on a product regardless of whether we think it will be directed by someone we think will do a good job at it.

But I understand it's a bit of a gamble, for lack of a better word. When we buy that ticket, we're either gonna like what we see, or not. We go to the movies to be entertained; not necessarily to support a particular filmmaker.

re: Guillermo Del Toro

It was just a bit puzzling to me, seemed a commitment to the franchise/movie, whether it turns out to be helmed by a director/producer/etc that you'd think would do a good job or not.

It's that commitment to a franchise/title that I think Hollywood banks on from the moviegoing masses. Ideally, we shouldn't allow them to count on us to be suckers; to readily spend our money on a product regardless of whether we think it will be directed by someone we think will do a good job at it.

But I understand it's a bit of a gamble, for lack of a better word. When we buy that ticket, we're either gonna like what we see, or not. We go to the movies to be entertained; not necessarily to support a particular filmmaker.

I like the Hobbit, so I would see a film made of it. I'm not going to know weather it's good or bad until I see it, regardless of who makes it, so...not really going to consider myself a sucker on that account.

Arthur Dent hitchhikes his way across the galaxy and into the role of Bilbo Baggins

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/10/21/39468-meet-your-hobbit-cast/

Personally I couldn't be happier about this. I love Martin Freeman and I think he'll make a fine Bilbo.

Do you think he can be entertaining for the full three hours of crying... and walking.

• 4 months later...

I was just looking at the Blu-rays for these movies at Walmart the other day. I remarked to my best friend, who is a HUGE LOTR fan, about how I would buy the Blu-rays if they were the extended editions, like the DVDs that I have now.

Looks like my prayers have been answered ;) Thanks for the link!

That's some lovely snark, but it really just demonstrates ignorance of the source material.

The Hobbit is more of an adventure story, and doesn't have the somber tone of LOTR.

LOL

LOTR is the most boring movie series ever made.. Maximum turbo extreme lame. The Hobbit is faster paced? Great so is reading federal tax code.

If you guys don't like LOTR, why do you feel compelled to post in this thread? Just curious...

I love Star Wars, but I just prefer LOTR over it. It just seems more entertaining to me, that's all.

I love the Jedi Politics clip that you can watch from the first Clerks movie.

Yeah - I check this thread for updates on the effects on filming the Christchurch earthquake has had, and, well... OT.

Apparently it hasn't had any affect on filming. Production is moving right along and Freeman is already in his Bilbo duds getting all three-dee'd.

From Ian McKellen's blog:

I've seen Bilbo — in three dimensions.

I was visiting old friends in the Stone Street offices and heard Martin Freeman was just round the corner by the permanent greenscreen, done up as Bilbo, testing his costume in front of the 3D cameras. Indeed, there he was in the open air, mostly oblivious to the camera, though turning this way and that as required. Martin improvised a hobbity gait, padding back and forth, testing his big hairy Hobbit feet, pointy ears and little tum.

Beneath the shade of a tent, in a sun hat, Andrew Lesnie was remotely controlling the two lenses within the mighty camera which digitally records in 3D. His screen showed the familiar 2D image but next to it, above the director's chair, was a large colour screen in full magical three dimensions, much as it will appear in the cinema — courtesy of the spy-glasses that transform the blurred outlines onscreen to the high definition exactitude of the 3D effect.

Three Bilbos simultaneously, two performances on screen and the actor beyond: which was the real one? Martin Freeman was transmuting into a character whose reality will soon be as authentic as his own.

— Ian McKellen, Wellington, March 2011

• 3 months later...

Apparently it hasn't had any affect on filming. Production is moving right along and Freeman is already in his Bilbo duds getting all three-dee'd.

From Ian McKellen's blog:

I've seen Bilbo — in three dimensions.

I was visiting old friends in the Stone Street offices and heard Martin Freeman was just round the corner by the permanent greenscreen, done up as Bilbo, testing his costume in front of the 3D cameras. Indeed, there he was in the open air, mostly oblivious to the camera, though turning this way and that as required. Martin improvised a hobbity gait, padding back and forth, testing his big hairy Hobbit feet, pointy ears and little tum.

Beneath the shade of a tent, in a sun hat, Andrew Lesnie was remotely controlling the two lenses within the mighty camera which digitally records in 3D. His screen showed the familiar 2D image but next to it, above the director's chair, was a large colour screen in full magical three dimensions, much as it will appear in the cinema — courtesy of the spy-glasses that transform the blurred outlines onscreen to the high definition exactitude of the 3D effect.

Three Bilbos simultaneously, two performances on screen and the actor beyond: which was the real one? Martin Freeman was transmuting into a character whose reality will soon be as authentic as his own.

— Ian McKellen, Wellington, March 2011

Wow. Even when he blogs he sounds.....I dunno....dignified? He'd be a good writer.

If you're interested in production, a new video blog is up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc6TVoYeKJU&feature=player_embedded#at=16

It's mainly about location scouting, we don't get to see too much of the movie or characters unfortunately. Interesting to see Gollum has graduated to 2nd unit director.

Edited by PetarB

Well, that's interesting. If Azog is in it, I guess it will start with The Battle of Azanulbizar/Nanduhirion at the end of The War of the Dwarves and Orcs. I would assume we get a slight sneak peak at The Balrog of Moria if it keeps true to the text as a very young Dain Ironfoot beheaded Azog on the steps leading into Moria near the end of the battle. It was Dain who saw what dwelled in Moria (well, would have seen a big-arsed SHADOW that had flame) and knew enough that Durin's Bane was nothing the Dwarf army could take.

In this morning's round up:

Fili and Kili

1310539591.jpg

If you can't see it, here's a source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/21159/-hobbit-dwarf-centerfolds-fili-and-kili

And I forgot to post this one:

Gloin & Oin

6970_912526707.jpg

If you can't see it, here's a source: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/07/08/45861-behold-gloin-oin/