New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

Isn't Tasunoko working with HG on Shadow Chronicles?  I thought I had heard that and that was one of the items that lead to the rumors of Shadow Chronicles becoming GCM II in Japan.  If they're working together than no doubt they've learned from the past and structured their deal more coherently.

406651[/snapback]

It is most likely Tat is working in partnership with HG on the project. From what I've heard HG is trying to sell it in Japan as a sequel to Mospeada (ironically Megazone 23 was first envisioned as the original Mos sequel, but the story was changed) and probably have split the merchandising rights between them.

If it is a hit in Japan, Takara and it's subsidiaries will most likely be making the bulk of the toys as they now "own" Tat studios.

406665[/snapback]

Tatsanuko is no more... they sold MOST of their properties to Takara and some to HG, there's no ties to each of the properties they own. Artmic owned Mospeada and Megazone, not Tatsanuko. HG licensed Macross, Southern Cross and Orguss but realised that Orguss was too different and then licensed Mospeada afterwards.

There's no doubt that they still had Tatsanuko people on Shadow Chronicles and some of those guys are invested but I believe Tatsanuko is gone as a banner... shame really...

If it is a hit in Japan, Takara and it's subsidiaries will most likely be making the bulk of the toys as they now "own" Tat studios.

Nope, as mentioned previously, the MOSPEADA license resides with Toynami regardless of Tat's involvement. Toynami is the only toy manufacturer that can sell Genesis Climber Toys globally. I suppose it's possible HG could work out some other deal separately for Shadow Chronicles licensing but since Shadow Chronicles is heavily MOSPEADA-based (thus creating this very conversation) it would seemingly give Toynami grounds to sue HG and I think no one wants to go down that path.

Tatsanuko is no more... they sold MOST of their properties to Takara and some to HG, there's no ties to each of the properties they own.  Artmic owned Mospeada and Megazone, not Tatsanuko.  HG licensed Macross, Southern Cross and Orguss but realised that Orguss was too different and then licensed Mospeada afterwards.

There's no doubt that they still had Tatsanuko people on Shadow Chronicles and some of those guys are invested but I believe Tatsanuko is gone as a banner... shame really...

406674[/snapback]

Really? I've not seen any article to that effect (not that one doesn't exist...).

However, If I recall correctly Orguss was dropped due to similar licensing issues that DYRL now enjoys, as in, the agreements are so complex and convoluded that there was no way to determine clear international title to the work.

Hence, why there hasn't been a North American release of the SDC Orguss series.

Tatsanuko is no more... they sold MOST of their properties to Takara and some to HG, there's no ties to each of the properties they own. Artmic owned Mospeada and Megazone, not Tatsanuko. HG licensed Macross, Southern Cross and Orguss but realised that Orguss was too different and then licensed Mospeada afterwards.

And knowing is half the battle!

(Yes, that's a GI Joe reference)

Tatsanuko is no more... they sold MOST of their properties to Takara and some to HG, there's no ties to each of the properties they own.  Artmic owned Mospeada and Megazone, not Tatsanuko.  HG licensed Macross, Southern Cross and Orguss but realised that Orguss was too different and then licensed Mospeada afterwards.

406674[/snapback]

Okay kids, let's try this again: Orguss is a Toyko Movie Shinsha production, -not- Tatsunoko. The rights issue is not complicated at all. US Renditions had the US license, they went out of business, Manga did not feel like picking that one up, probably since it was an uncompleted dub of a full series and not just a short OAV like the other crap they got from US Renditions. If someone else wanted to license Orguss from TMS they probably could. Orguss is a Studio Nue/Artland/TMS project, but TMS no doubt has all the distribution rights, being the producers.

Artmic went out of business many years ago. AIC produced most of their shows and ended up with most of their rights (see Bubblegum Crisis for more information.) The fact that Tatsunoko/HG has been making Mospeada-derivative crap sure suggest they have the rights. Who the hell else would have them? Certainly not AIC. Even if Tatsunoko is now gone as a company name, Tatsunoko has -definitely- been working on Shadow Chronicles. Back at AX2004 I kept picking Tommy Yune's brain for Japanese names (which is how I was able to confirm no one from Artmic was working on it, only Tatsunoko people, not a shock when you consider Shinji Aramaki has better things to do with his time than a kinda sorta Mospeada sequel, like directing Appleseed movies).

Tatsunoko has a lot of really famous properties that I wonder about the fates of, too, like Mach Go Go Go/Speed Racer, Casshan/Casshern, Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets, Hurricane Polymar, blah blah.

But not Orguss.

406674[/snapback]

Okay kids, let's try this again: Orguss is a Toyko Movie Shinsha production, -not- Tatsunoko. The rights issue is not complicated at all. US Renditions had the US license, they went out of business, Manga did not feel like picking that one up, probably since it was an uncompleted dub of a full series and not just a short OAV like the other crap they got from US Renditions. If someone else wanted to license Orguss from TMS they probably could. Orguss is a Studio Nue/Artland/TMS project, but TMS no doubt has all the distribution rights, being the producers.

Artmic went out of business many years ago. AIC produced most of their shows and ended up with most of their rights (see Bubblegum Crisis for more information.) The fact that Tatsunoko/HG has been making Mospeada-derivative crap sure suggest they have the rights. Who the hell else would have them? Certainly not AIC. Even if Tatsunoko is now gone as a company name, Tatsunoko has -definitely- been working on Shadow Chronicles. Back at AX2004 I kept picking Tommy Yune's brain for Japanese names (which is how I was able to confirm no one from Artmic was working on it, only Tatsunoko people, not a shock when you consider Shinji Aramaki has better things to do with his time than a kinda sorta Mospeada sequel, like directing Appleseed movies).

Tatsunoko has a lot of really famous properties that I wonder about the fates of, too, like Mach Go Go Go/Speed Racer, Casshan/Casshern, Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets, Hurricane Polymar, blah blah.

But not Orguss.

406777[/snapback]

I would think HG got a hold of the Gachaman License since they promote it really heavily. Plus Wildstorm produces the comic books, same people that produce the Shadow Chromicles and ADV released the DVDs.

And thanks for the further clarification.

Edited by >EXO<

Hey Cyc, are you going to have a section on your site for Mospeada 2: The Inbit Strike Back?  :p

(assuming that RT: Shadow Chronicles gets a Mospeada-ized release for Japan, of course)

406390[/snapback]

Will I have a section for Mospeada 2: Electric Boogaloo? You bet :)

But no offense intended to those suggesting it, but there is about as much solid proof of HG's intentions of releasing Shadow Chronicles as Mospeada 2 as there is of HG releasing Macross Zero.

podcastinterview

Podcast interview with Tom Bateman, Tony Oliver, and Dan Woren.

407379[/snapback]

What's the gist of it?

407465[/snapback]

I think the gist is HG is heavily promoting Shadow Chronicles so the public doesn't lose any more interest in the project. Maybe a deal is signed (or close to it) or maybe not. There's been alot of activity on Robotech.com & Harmony Gold these past weeks so I think it's possible that a release could happen soon. Tony & Dan of course were there to promote it but I found Tony's Robotech/Macross documentary project very interesting.

I found Tony's Robotech/Macross documentary project very interesting.

I found that comment really insteresting too. I wonder if Tony is planing in going the way of "Oh yeah, we create something new from scratch, and thanks to us, Macross became a major hit through out the whole world, blah blah blah" when he creates his documentary or if he is actually planing to do some major research on the subject....

How deep was this guy really involved in the Robotech production?

I found Tony's Robotech/Macross documentary project very interesting.

I found that comment really insteresting too. I wonder if Tony is planing in going the way of "Oh yeah, we create something new from scratch, and thanks to us, Macross became a major hit through out the whole world, blah blah blah" when he creates his documentary or if he is actually planing to do some major research on the subject....

407524[/snapback]

Maybe back in the day he was just talent but for the 2nd half of his career he's been a producer, story editor, and voice director. He did say he'll be interviewing the original japanese creators .

407524[/snapback]

Don't be stupid. The people originally involved with Robotech are perfectly aware of the origins of the cartoon.

I don't doubt he'll interview the original creaters. Then of course he'll overdub them with his own voice, and have them say how much they love robotech & Tony Oliver as Lic Unter

Don't be stupid. The people originally involved with Robotech are perfectly aware of the origins of the cartoon.

407754[/snapback]

Don't be an ass. You don't know that and are assuming. And if you do, then state your sources.

vinnie

Wait, I thought Carl Macek created Robotech. Drew all the key animation himself, and hired a couple orphanages to do the inbetween animation, while on his summer vacation from colorizing movies at Turner.

Unfortunately, he ran low on cash, so he had to sell the rights to some of his animation to a couple of Japanese companies who completely mucked him his story, broke it up into 3 different pieces, and re-dubbed them into Japanese. Upon learning that, he cried a river of tears which became the grand missisipi, and along with Babe his blue ox, rode a Tornado to carve out his new territory which he would dub, Amaceka!

407754[/snapback]

Don't be an ass. You don't know that and are assuming. And if you do, then state your sources.

vinnie

407818[/snapback]

Both of you, no personal attacks or name calling please.

Graham

And if you do, then state your sources.

Well, at least two of the Staff writers, Greg Snegoff and Greg Finley (both were also voice talent) knew about it. I know this because Greg S. said so in his interview (find it on Darkwater's website) and also because Greg F. said so (my interview of Greg F. goes live on Darkwater's site within the next 24 hours or so). We should reasonably be able to add the other staff writers like Ardwight Chamberlain and Steve Kramer to the list as well as the Director Robert Barron.

Given that most of the original talent/staff on Robotech still work together (with the exception of Macek) and are heavily involved in the importation and dubbing of anime, the likelihood of them NOT knowing about the origins of the 3 anime series that made up Robotech decreases exponentially. There is also the fact that, despite the rantings of some, Harmony Gold has been up front about the fact that it was made of 3 separate series for about 20 yrs now. You can check Robotech Art 1, published in April of 1986.

Whatever Macek said or didn't say is irrelevant....

Wait, I thought Carl Macek created Robotech. Drew all the key animation himself, and hired a couple orphanages to do the inbetween animation, while on his summer vacation from colorizing movies at Turner.

Unfortunately, he ran low on cash, so he had to sell the rights to some of his animation to a couple of Japanese companies who completely mucked him his story, broke it up into 3 different pieces, and re-dubbed them into Japanese. Upon learning that, he cried a river of tears which became the grand missisipi, and along with Babe his blue ox, rode a Tornado to carve out his new territory which he would dub, Amaceka!

408082[/snapback]

Wow? Really? Macek was THE original creator?!? Whoa .....

:p:p:p

Great "tall tale" ......

:lol:

And if you do, then state your sources.

Well, at least two of the Staff writers, Greg Snegoff and Greg Finley (both were also voice talent) knew about it. I know this because Greg S. said so in his interview (find it on Darkwater's website) and also because Greg F. said so (my interview of Greg F. goes live on Darkwater's site within the next 24 hours or so). We should reasonably be able to add the other staff writers like Ardwight Chamberlain and Steve Kramer to the list as well as the Director Robert Barron.

Given that most of the original talent/staff on Robotech still work together (with the exception of Macek) and are heavily involved in the importation and dubbing of anime, the likelihood of them NOT knowing about the origins of the 3 anime series that made up Robotech decreases exponentially. There is also the fact that, despite the rantings of some, Harmony Gold has been up front about the fact that it was made of 3 separate series for about 20 yrs now. You can check Robotech Art 1, published in April of 1986.

Whatever Macek said or didn't say is irrelevant....

408132[/snapback]

I remember back at the LA Shrine Convention, the voice of Claudia said that when they gave her the script, she thought that it was a sad that the japanese had an inter racial couple in an animated show and made no big deal of it, before America did. So she knew also. I dont see why they wouldn't tell the staff that they were "translating" a japanese show. It was a common gig for voice actors back then.

Originally the Robotech crew did the voice work in the first Macross pilot & the direct to home video translated by HG. I remember Tony saying he audtioned at that time for Macross. Also, Dan Woren (Stick Benard) & Ilene Leslie (narrator) did voice work in the Mospeada pilot by HG (yes, at one time HG planned to release Mospeada as a seperate series).

Wasn't HG or RT.com suppose to make some big announcement? Did they do it already or has the date not come yet? Just wondering.

408230[/snapback]

Great question ... I haven't notice anything on their site. I think the big announcement date is July 2nd, no? Right now, they are trying to update the site with as much news as possible, because of the fan backlash for lack of news on the new series. Least that's my view .....

<_<

A guy named Brooklyn Red Leg interviews voice actor Greg Finley (Captain Henry Gloval & Supreme Commander Anatole Leonard) at the unofficial Robotech reporter's blog. Greg gives us some info on his work on Robotech. Here:finleyinterview

408211[/snapback]

I believe Brooklyn Red Leg is our own 1st Border Red Devil.

Although there is a chance I am mistaken here.

Yep, its me. I especially loved it when Greg said out and out Leonard is a good guy in Robotech. All that crap Tommy Yune wrote about Leonard is just that, crap

So when Leonard's biggest fan said "Is Leonard a villain" the guy actually considered who he was talking to and said "no." If that doesn't prove it then nothing does!

407754[/snapback]

vinnie

407818[/snapback]

My source is common sense. You think animation just magically appeared in Harmony Gold's offices and they figured "Hey, someone here must have designed this?"

I understand that some people really really dislike HG, but the common belief held here on MW that everyone involved with HG is some fire-breathing heartless bastard who's entire existence is focused on creating lies about a 20 year old cartoon and duping anime fans into believing something other than the obvious truth is ridiculous and downright ignorant.

My source is common sense. You think animation just magically appeared in Harmony Gold's offices and they figured "Hey, someone here must have designed this?"

I understand that some people really really dislike HG, but the common belief held here on MW that everyone involved with HG is some fire-breathing heartless bastard who's entire existence is focused on creating lies about a 20 year old cartoon and duping anime fans into believing something other than the obvious truth is ridiculous and downright ignorant.

408365[/snapback]

Does the assembly worker know how the stuff he/she makes works or gets designed? Does the lab tech understand why he/she does labs as a part of the bigger research problem? No, they do what they are told and call it good as long as they get paid. Involvement does not signify understanding or even knowledge.

So unless you provide sources, like some people did, you're just fanning the flames and your post serves no purpose except to incur anger. For all you know, they could have hired someone off the streets to do the voice talents (which in the case of Reba West, sounds like it) and couldn't give the slightest damn about the history of the animation.

And really, what would you call a one liner calling someone stupid be anything but trolling?

vinnie

407754[/snapback]

vinnie

407818[/snapback]

408365[/snapback]

I agree completely. Okay... so HG bought some rights to use some Japanese film footage back in the 80's... great, so they make money for themselves. Wish I had gotten in on it. Really. I'd still like the original Macross better, but I'd have $$$ which I think HG was more concerned about rather than destroying America from within' by chopping up Super Dimension Fortress Macross and then adding in Mospaeda and Southern- Cross -Whatever you call it.

To assume that anyone who works for HG doesn't know that the origins of "robotech" stem from Japan is insanity. I'm not even going to argue this. I can't even think of an analogy for an assertion so ridiculous. Asking someone to cite this, is like asking me to cite how exactly I figured out how to utter my first word as an infant. I'm not sure how I figured it out, but I'm 100% positive that I indeed spoke a first word.

I like SDFM better than Robotech, even though it's 96% the exact same thing (the first 26 episodes anyway), but I'm still gonna' at least rent the Shadow Chronicles. Hell, I can admit I'm looking forward to seeing what they've put together. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. I'm not gonna' pass judgement on a movie I haven't seen simply because HG has done some sucky things in our opinions; especially when it's derived from something I really really like. I just wish they'd release the stinking movie already. And wasn't it supposed to be a series?