Eric Bana is the new Bond

Meh. Final nail in the coffin, IMHO.

Brosnan had a decent run, but the plots have been so over the top and hackneyed for so long I have serious doubts anyone can resurrect this series to the coolness it enjoyed with Connery as the lead.

While it's sad to see Pierce Brosnan leave (that's Brosnan, not Bronson or Brosnon), I can certainly understand why he left. The Bond movies were a dying franchise before Brosnan even became the next Bond. It was only the fact of Martin Campbell's ability to reinvent classic adventure stories that breathed new life into the Bond franchise with Goldeneye. Caine and Feirstein's script was probably Brosnan's main motivation for accepting the mantle of Bond to begin with. The Bond films that followed have been very weak in comparison.

Brosnan was the perfect choice for the new Bond and Goldeneye worked well because of the stereotypes of Bond's own legacy that it crushed. Add the always watchable Sean Bean, the very talented Judi Dench, cut out most of the overused gadgets, a plausible explanation for Bond now that the cold war is over, and the series new style created Goldeneye; the best Bond flick since Connery's days IMO. But without Campbell, the modern Bond movies have been passable action flicks at best and very forgettable film.

Unless someone in charge of the next Bond films can continue to reinvent the 007 mythos, I don't care if they get Clive Owen, Huge Jackman, or Eric Bana to play Bond, the films aren't going to be worth watching without some innovation.

So I didn't imagine this thread... Late last night I signed on and thought I was hallucinating but this is for real. I guess that's the end of James Bond as I'm getting flashbacks of Timothy Dalton. :cringe:

The problem is that the Bond franchise has been under the lock and key of this certain husband-and-wife producer team (can't recall their names right now), and they stedfastily REFUSE to change the formula.

That was why Brosnan was having such a problem in his negotiations, because he (apparently) wanted a new idea, less CGI, etc., and the producers had no intention on changing it. They have total creative control over the films and they are quite happy with making recycled film after recycled film.

Nothing will ever change while those two have the control that they do. And as for Taratino? No, thanks. I just don't like the guy's style.

I myself believe the main failing of the "new bond" movies is the lack of a recurring omnipotent evil that bond clashes with. They killed off blowfeld which meant no more spectre, the cold war is over which means no more KGB or Russians and the new world order of "tech gets us the intel" has all but eliminated the age old "Spy" from the forefront of popular culture. Having bond fight evil businessmen is about as fun was watching a Dilbert movie with a CGI Dogbert. I will also blame the "new bond" on cometition in the spy movie ilk. Before the Borne movies came out there was a piece of schlock called Mission: Impossible that gave bond a run for his money. M:I featured more action, more crazy stunts, more nutso over the top no real spy would do this crap sort of things and people ate it up. So rather than originate the bond makers decided to duplicate and thus you have the latest bond blah. All the tension and the danger and suspenseful espionage is gone and replaced by them trying to see what evil kenievel bond vehicle move they can pull off this time. Plus with the seeming inability to release a movie without a video game tie in, marketing blitz, soundtrack album and music video the whole process has wound down to formula rather than caring whether or not the audience likes it. Attract them into the theater with eye candy, get their money and run.

I myself will keep watching the Borne movies rather than Bond. They both start with a B but one of them does not end with a "sucks". :p

Goldeneye was good, Tomorrow Never Dies was OK, but I really didn't like the other two that much. Way too much flash. Give me Connery Bonds any day. The current formula isn't quite working IMO.

Bana seems in intersting choice, but hard for me to judge for sure unless I see him in action. Not sure if I see him in the role though.

Brosnan filled the shoes very well, I did like him in the role a lot, the fault in the last couple was the material.

Unless someone in charge of the next Bond films can continue to reinvent the 007 mythos, I don't care if they get Clive Owen, Huge Jackman, or Eric Bana to play Bond, the films aren't going to be worth watching without some innovation.

Exactly what I said.

Brosnan was Bond. I've seen very few people doubt that he could not fill the role. He had all the wit, charm, and style that made Bond. But his movies (especially the last 2) needed to move away from the bigger-is-better formula. If they could make 1 more movie with Brosnan without the big effects and etc., we would probably have a good Bond film.

I think people are confused about "effects". It's the type of effects that they are using that's the problem. During the last movie they wasted they're final fight at a stupid ice locale that required a lot of useless stunts and effects. Just keep the budget, and use it on stunts and effects that's not necessarily obvious. A lot of people would be surprised how much effects was used on Black Hawk Down. Another great scene was the harrier sequence in True Lies. Not necessarily a great script but the look was incredible.

The problem is that the production company wants the flash and hip, and teen harlots for Bond girls. They actually wanted Britney Spear... :rolleyes: While Brosnan was pulling for Monica Belluci (yum). I guess they wanted the audience to come for the bill not for the story... <_<

Well it's quite obvious that the Broccoli's (how could ya forget that name?) feel like they have a basic formula to print money.

The James Bond name + a decent big name actor + a big name female lead (or 2 lesser ones) + a ton of explosions + not much else = a nice return on their money.

The problem is that all of the movies are diminished until the actors and people involved aren't having a good time, the audience is not having a good time, and the box office receipts begin to dwindle.

They'll ride the burning husk of James Bond until it's under the dirt. Because in the end, it is simply about making money and absolutely nothing to do with making a good movie. They will literally turn the name James Bond into nothing more than a bad joke, like Rambo, Rocky, and even Star Trek before it.

There are folks in Hollywood that live by this formula. Who cares if people end up laughing at the franchise by the time it's done? Everybody involved made enough dough to buy a few small countries before audiences finally had enough and quit giving it a chance not to suck.

Pay close attention folks - this is exactly how you ruin a franchise. Make bad movies and fool the audience into giving you 10 bucks one more time. Then try and do it again. And again.

There are folks in Hollywood that live by this formula.

Michael Bay??

Who cares if people end up laughing at the franchise by the time it's done? Everybody involved made enough dough to buy a few small countries before audiences finally had enough and quit giving it a chance not to suck.

George Lucas??

:p:lol:

I think it says a lot that bourne supremecy made more it's opening weekend than any Bond movie... the bond formula is old and tired, it's designed for an age where the spy game was seen as glamerous and it just doesn't work with what's going on in the world today.

Bana is okay, don't think he makes a good bond, too doe eyed for me.

:lol::lol::lol: god i hope he is not gonna look like that in the film, i do not think this is a good idea, what happened to Christan Bale ? i thought he was also mentioned as well, does anyone know what happned?

There are folks in Hollywood that live by this formula.

Michael Bay??

Who cares if people end up laughing at the franchise by the time it's done? Everybody involved made enough dough to buy a few small countries before audiences finally had enough and quit giving it a chance not to suck.

George Lucas??

:p:lol:

Actually on point #1 - I was thinking of the "suits" - the producers who put up the dough and reap the profit. Bay is guilty of alot of bad filmmaking, but he's just a guy studios go to so that they can end up with a pretty trailer for a terrible movie.

And on point #2 - I was really thinking of Star Trek. It's a shame what they did to the fans of those characters. George Lucas I think really believes in what he's doing. Whether or not the audience does is a bit beside the point. :lol:

:rolleyes: Bond dah dah dah dah, James Bond Junior nah nah nah nah....look out now while he's getting the girl neu neu neu neu Bond dah dah dah dah James Bond Junior nah nah nah nah.

Personally I think this is nothing but a joke. Though than again, the first Bond movie I ever saw was with a friend of mine back when Brosnan was doing Golden Eye....after that I decided I'd wanna watch the other older Bond films and for Xmas I got all the Sean Connery sets, I think wha 9 movies or so? Those were GOOD movies, lengthy but oh so good....that was Spy filming at its best....now it's just pure crap....After Golden Eye, it just didn't work for me anymore, I don't think I'll really ever see a Bond film again.

Exactly what I said.

Brosnan was Bond. I've seen very few people doubt that he could not fill the role. He had all the wit, charm, and style that made Bond. But his movies (especially the last 2) needed to move away from the bigger-is-better formula. If they could make 1 more movie with Brosnan without the big effects and etc., we would probably have a good Bond film.

I agree. How many other actors did they go through for Bond before they found a worthy replacement for Connery? When I saw Brosnan up for it, I felt they at least got the casting right this time. Trouble is, the Bond movies are films first and Bond stories second. Just like any other film. You need a good director if you're going to make it work that has at least a little inspiration and style. I mean let's face it, the Bond movies are not great film nor award winning storytelling. But at the very least, the Bond films must have an edge and a certain charm to compete.

I agree. How many other actors did they go through for Bond before they found a worthy replacement for Connery?

They never have found a worthy replacement, IMHO.

The stark difference in quality between the Connery Bond movies and everything else is staggering. The others had some nice moments - even Dalton - but nothing has come close to the charm and fun of Sean.

I love Eric Bana. Espcially as Hoot. He kicks ass and then some. For that reason alone, I'm excited.

But I'm not at all sure he can pull off the Suave, Sophisticated, British thing. Bana always seemed to me darker, more brooding, and more rugged than I'd picture Bond in any incarnation. At least this Bond should kick some ass.

-Al

The perfect person to play Bond IMO would be British pop singer Robbie Williams. He looks just like a young Sean Connery and he's indicated that he's interested in the role. Unfortunately, he's not really well known in the US, despite being hugely popular in UK.

I'd also like to see Bond movies go back to their roots and have the stories set during the cold war.

Graham

The perfect person to play Bond IMO would be British pop singer Robbie Williams. He looks just like a young Sean Connery and he's indicated that he's interested in the role. Unfortunately, he's not really well known in the US, despite being hugely popular in UK.

I'd also like to see Bond movies go back to their roots and have the stories set during the cold war.

Graham

Now see, HE looks like James Bond! B))

This is terrible!  I like the guy as an actor, but he is just all wrong for Bond..

Dude, What are you talking about?? The role was tailor made for Bana

poita.JPG

:lol:

Hmmmm...that pic has made me loose what little residual respect I had left for Bana :D .

Though he was ok in Chopper.

Liked him in Blackhawk Down.

Thought he sucked in Hulk (as did the entire movie). I rate that movie the same as Battlefield Earth and Gundam G-savior, the only movies that have sent both my wife and I to sleep simultaneously even when we were not tired.

Haven't seen Troy yet, so no comment.

Graham

You've gotta be kidding me. Robbie Williams? Why, because he's english and has a passing resemblence to a young Connery? Can he even act? If you just want to clone Connery, why not just CGI him instead? <_<

general moaning aside, I haven't yet seen any real reasons why Bana can't be Bond. He can play tough. He can do action. He's got a killer stare. He's perfect for a classic, Flemming era Bond. All this "suave sophisticated" bullshit is just a holdover from the Moore era. Bond is supposed to be a self-hating killer, who's as sickened by his job as he is by the bad guys.

And while those who've named Eon Prod. as the real culprit behind the mediocrity of the latest Bond films are absolutely, 100% right there's no way that'll change until the entire Broccoli clan is dead. Remember, we had not one but two "realistic" Bond films in the late 80's (ie the Dalton films) but they were nowhere near as successful as the over-the-top Brosnan films. The numbers show that Dalton's films actually did pretty well at the box-office, but brainless Entertainment Weekly type pundits still as "failures." No, the die was cast when Die Another Day became the highest grossing Bond film ever.

You've gotta be kidding me. Robbie Williams? Why, because he's english and has a passing resemblence to a young Connery? Can he even act? If you just want to clone Connery, why not just CGI him instead? <_<

Not so much because of any physical resemblance to Connery, so much as the attitude. Of course, it's not that Connery-era Bond fans want a physical clone of Connery... It's that sense of bad-ass menace with a suave veneer that folks find apealling about Connery's interpretation of Bond. Dalton supposedly came closest to Fleming's literary Bond... but face it, a character has to translate to the visual medium of film. Dalton's version fell kinda flat (weak scripts didn't help). Connery had not only the look but the swagger that for many folks defined the cinematic Bond.... and honestly, I agree with Graham that Robbie Williams, oddly enough, could have some of that 'attitude'.

I sincerely hope that Bana doesn't get it, and that Christian Bale does. Because at the moment I think us Brits could do with a brit getting the role. After all the character is british.

So far we've had one brit. Roger Moore, (old wiggly eyebrows himself,) and the other have been:

Scottish (Connery)

Australian (Lazenby)

British (Moore)

Welsh (Dalton)

Irish (Brosnan)

If the trend continues it will be either an American or a New Zealander ext, but I sincerely hope we get Bale. Having a brit in the role again will certainly give us brit Bond fans a boost. (National pride and everything.)

Im just wondering if they'll be doing more filming near my house again. (The Korean hovercraft scene was filmed next to Aldershot Garrison. (Half a mile from my house.)

As far as Robbie Williams goes... no.

No offense, but can't we limit our search to actual actors? I like Williams allright, but prancing about in a 3 minute video is not exactly qualification enough to headline a feature film. He's got actually say lines, not sing them.

I'll admit he looks the part, but there's more to it than that.

Here's an idea. Everybody put down their top 3 Bond choices.

1. Clive Owen - if you don't know why, rent Croupier then download the BMW films

2. Jason Statham - Yeah, he's bald - but he's still rather smooth and kicks ass well.

3. Jude Law - a bit too pretty, but still he'd add some class to the role.