The Trailer for Batman Begins is OUT!

Anubis

:blink: You didn't like the Burton/Keaton Batman flicks?  ;)

I thought the first one was the best one of them all (Jack Nicholson's Joker was pretty damn good), but it could've been a lot more. I think it was just that I couldn't get past Mr. Mom being the Dark Knight.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

:blink: You didn't like the Burton/Keaton Batman flicks?  ;)

I thought the first one was the best one of them all (Jack Nicholson's Joker was pretty damn good), but it could've been a lot more. I think it was just that I couldn't get past Mr. Mom being the Dark Knight.

See that was the problem I had with the live-action Bat-flicks to date - they were all about the villains, with Batman as almost a secondary character. From all the buzz I hear about this one, it's actually about *gasp* Bruce Wayne with the bad guys as window dressings, heaven forbid we should actually focus on the hero :rolleyes:

The movie is based on the Frank Miller's Batman stuff? :blink:

NOW I KNOW THIS IS GONNA BE BAD ASS!!! B))B)):D:D

Use the term "based" loosely. Miller was involved at one point - but with another director (Darren Aronofsky) - this one may be based upon Year One, but probably not as religiously as it would have been had he been involved. For all we know, Nolan and the studio might just like the idea of starting Bats over to restart the franchise. Everything I've seen looks cool and gritty, though.

Any Frank Miller fan should be excited about Robert Rodriguez's upcoming Sin City. Frank's definitely involved with that. So involved that Rodriguez resigned from the Director's Guild of America so he could name Frank Miller as co-director.

Frank Miller? The guy who wrote Robocop 2? And the Robocop vs Terminator comics? frakking awesome!

(Jack Nicholson's Joker was pretty damn good)

To each his own. I think Jack's Joker sucked. The Joker is a tall lanky guy. Jack was short and fat. The Joker is sinister, yet humorous. Jack just kept trying to his devilish eyebrow arch.

Who, IMHO, would've made a better joker?

Jeff Goldblum.

But that's just me.

Batman

One word:

Boring. I'll be the first to admit that Tim Burton is a great director, but he's much better when he's out of the mainstream (see: Planet of the Apes). This movie blew chunks out of my ass and left me wanting.

Batman Returns

I didn't think anything could be more boring than the first movie, but this took the cake. This movie marks one of the first and only times I ever fell asleep at the theater. The Penguin (although very well acted by Danny DeVito) was poorly thought out. That and the Emperor Penguins taking his body away at the end made me seriously think that this could be the worst big budget movie ever made. The movie's one redeeming quality: A young and hot Michele Pfiefer in full body catsuit. Me-ow.

Batman Forever

Ahhh... Joel Schumacher takes the helm and actually makes this franchise WORSE than it originally was, even while making some redeeming decisions.

Robin- Good. We needed to have Robin somewhere, but thank goodness they didn't make him totally gay like we all know and love/loath him.

The Riddler- Could have been good if they didn't let Jim Carrey do his off the wall schtick. I love Jim Carrey, but his portrayal of The Riddler was too overwhelming. Leading us to...

Two Face/Harvey Dent- Where's the Colt45 Man?!? Tommy Lee Jones had to waaaay overact just to be noticed behind Jim Carrey, and the role suffered for it.

The bad stuff? Mr. Schumacher begins to display his mis-placed obsession with 80's neon. Ugh...

p.s.- Nipples? On the Batsuit? Good lord...

Batman and Robin

Lackluster film that even Mia, The Gubanah and the peds doc from ER couldn't save. Alicia Silverstone's inability to act screwed this one, as well. Joel Schumacher demonstrated his desire to single-handedly keep the neon-lighting business alive, and adds in dayglo body paint and convenient black lights to Gotham's ghetto thugs, giving us an even worse representation of street gangs than even The Warriors achieved (and I didn't think it was possible).

...and yet, the Batman franchise still pulls in money. Hmm...

Here's to hoping that the decent superhero adaptations in the past few years like Spider-Man and... Umm... Well, just Spider-Man, inspires the new Batman film and, for the first time, brings quality film-making to the franchise.

BATMAN BEGINS...

(tagline: ...AGAIN. Because yes, all of the others DO suck.)

Edited by the white drew carey

Nice assessment Drew, I say you got it spot on. The only thing worth looking at from the first film were the bat-vehicles and the costume (except for the fact he couldn't turn his neck, Vader style)

I was thinking more at the time that Willem Dafoe would have made the perfect Joker, but now he's the Green Goblin, so I guess he fulfilled his need to be a smiley baddie in my book. As far as Bruce Wayne himself, I was hoping they would have picked Bruce Willis himself (back then, not now).

As I said before, Nolan's inspiration for this movie is Ridley Scott, mostly the look of Blade Runner. Ridley Scott, the saint of celluloid (or digital film, whatever he uses now!)

Good lord, WDC... you and really disagree on a few points.

Jeff Goldblum.

But that's just me.

Jeff Goldblum? I know he's tall and thin... but he's an idiot! And a terrible actor to boot!

Batman: You're going down, Joker, it's gotta be that way!

Jokerblum: Well, ah, you see, ah - um, well, this is something, uh, well, ah... different - it's an iMac... yes, yes... and it's well, uhm, well, it's rigged. Yes, it's rigged, you see, to uhm, ah, well... destroy something. Yes, destroy something, you see, Batman - can I call you Batman? Great. You see, uhm, well, it's going to destroy the Eiffel tower. Yes. Uhm. Well.

Batman: You're a moron. And you talk funny.

Then, on your Batman Forever review:

Robin- Good. We needed to have Robin somewhere, but thank goodness they didn't make him totally gay like we all know and love/loath him.

You did see the same movie I did, didn't you? Or is this a joke? Seriously.

I doubt if you cast all 5 Queer Eye Guys at once to play Robin if he would come off anymore gay than Chris O'Donell.

By making Robin a perfectly legal man-boy who looks about 27... it doesn't come off less homoerotic than the typical "young ward" routine... it comes off much worse, if less pedophillic. And only dirty minds think that way about a millionaire who loves letting circus boys move in with him, anyway.

Plus he's a terrible actor, to boot. But he doesn't do that stupid stammering thing so I won't paraphrase like I did with Goldblum. He just sucks, period.

I doubt if you cast all 5 Queer Eye Guys at once to play Robin if he would come off anymore gay than Chris O'Donell.

Imagine those queerbaits in the batcave.

Oooh ith that the entrance? I like it, very thuggestive!

Oh... my... god... who decorated this dump. Brucey honey can I borrow your AX? Gonna run down to the mall and do some fabric tests....

Jeff Goldblum? I know he's tall and thin... but he's an idiot! And a terrible actor to boot!

Batman: You're going down, Joker, it's gotta be that way!

Jokerblum: Well, ah, you see, ah - um, well, this is something, uh, well, ah... different - it's an iMac... yes, yes... and it's well, uhm, well, it's rigged. Yes, it's rigged, you see, to uhm, ah, well... destroy something. Yes, destroy something, you see, Batman - can I call you Batman? Great. You see, uhm, well, it's going to destroy the Eiffel tower. Yes. Uhm. Well.

Batman: You're a moron. And you talk funny.

Well, we can always disagree (even though you are wrong :p).

Yes, Jeff Goldblum's delivery is like that a lot, but would that be any worse than Jack Nicholson's slow-as-hell delivery?

(insert "devilish grin) "Iiiiii aaaammm the Joe-kerrr*."

Dafoe would've been nice, too. But Nicholson? I'm sorry, but The Joker isn't a Weeble-Wobble.

*for the best, and most humorous Jack impressions ever, see early Christian Slater (even though he wasn't joking)

I totally loved the first two Batman movies. Tm Burton's version of the Batman world was more dark and to the truth.

I just hope this one turns out the same. :pray:

(Jack Nicholson's Joker was pretty damn good)

To each his own. I think Jack's Joker sucked. The Joker is a tall lanky guy. Jack was short and fat. The Joker is sinister, yet humorous. Jack just kept trying to his devilish eyebrow arch.

Jeff Goldblum.

But that's just me.

True, Nicholson surely didn't have the body for his role (arguably neither did Keaton), but as far as playing an insane homocidal maniac, I think he pulled it off nicely (mmm, I'm having Shining flasbacks). As for Schumacher, ugh, I just pretend his Batman movies don't exist.

Nice assessement Blaine. Goodblum would have been terrible. He'd be perfect for one of the Shumacker Bat films. The whole problem with the subsequent batfilms was that they went after big stars. Many of which didn't fit the characters they were trying to protray. Typical Hollywood, Just insert A or B list actor into Movie regardless of fit and the masses will come out in droves to see the film. Bale is the perfect Batman. He's athlectic, young, and has that Brooding seriousness/ psychotic look down pat. Keaton was a good batman, he just didn't have the look. The suit designs look even better. It Doesn't look as rubbery/plastic.